Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plymouth + Sheff Wed 18:58 - Jan 2 with 5564 viewspennblue

whether we like it or not, they are a season ahead of us.

Sheff Wed were only just pipped by Sunderland last season and Plymouth were strong last season and faded. It is highly likely both teams would have learned lessons from last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/61248551

I do hope we get top two this year of course, and we may well do, but these two were bang at it last season as well.

This whole idea that you can transform a club in what 18 months is really not the case. Well run clubs, ala Brentford, Bournemouth, Brighton took years to build, and get to the Premier League. They just make steady incremental improvements each season.

Enjoy the ride, before we know it, we will be in the Premier League getting battered most weeks.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:02 - Jan 2 with 4807 viewskeighleyblue

Nonsense. Tell me how many seasons we have spent in div3 so far?
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:02 - Jan 2 with 4775 viewsFrimleyBlue

It's fine if there is patience above.

But. When Mike came in he said promotion next season then if not the one after.

Mark the pension guy said we ve had money now let's see results.

If they truly are happy to play a patient game. Then I'll calm down and just enjoy the ride. But my fear until then is that the pension pot goes the same way Evans did and decides that they won't waste any further money trying to get out of the league.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2023 19:05]

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:03 - Jan 2 with 4767 viewspennblue

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:02 - Jan 2 by keighleyblue

Nonsense. Tell me how many seasons we have spent in div3 so far?

But you have to consider the club was on the floor Summer 2021. So my point is the rebuild (from rock bottom) really started then.

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:10 - Jan 2 with 4617 viewspennblue

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:02 - Jan 2 by FrimleyBlue

It's fine if there is patience above.

But. When Mike came in he said promotion next season then if not the one after.

Mark the pension guy said we ve had money now let's see results.

If they truly are happy to play a patient game. Then I'll calm down and just enjoy the ride. But my fear until then is that the pension pot goes the same way Evans did and decides that they won't waste any further money trying to get out of the league.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2023 19:05]

That is always going to be a risk. But you would hope they would see the progress being made.

We are probably 3 quality players short, and it sounds like Luongo will be one of them who comes with sound recommendations from Sheff Wed, so we need to get another 2 quality ones over the line.

We will definitely be right up there in the mix.

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:11 - Jan 2 with 4605 viewsclive_baker

Not sure I really buy the not ready for promotion thing. Tomorrow never comes, you have to take your opportunities when they present themselves and we’re still well in the promotion race. In fact, it’s very much in our hands given our remaining fixtures.

We’ve lost a bit of ground in recent weeks but there’s no need for the doom & gloom. We’ve had some injuries and illness and we’ve looked leggy, but we’ve got a January window upon us now and investors prepared to spend some money to help give us the best shot. We’ve got an excellent manager for this level and we’ve also got some tricky fixtures behind us. 21 games left, I really see no reason why we can’t get 42+ points which you would hope would be enough.

This is what we want as football fans isn’t it, to be in the business end of a season with everything to play for, dominating possession and trying to play good football. People overthink it, we’re in a good position and have every chance of being in the top 2 come the end of the season. Let’s enjoy the ride.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:16 - Jan 2 with 4517 viewsDubtractor

Nah, I don't agree with that at all.

I posted yesterday accusing people of overreacting to our wobble and other teams results, but make no mistake, not getting promoted this season would be a dreadful result and not good enough. With the funding and resources we have we absolutely should be aiming for top 2.

We're not the finished article, and we clearly need a better centre forward to complement Ladapo, but not going up should not be normalised as being acceptable.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:19 - Jan 2 with 4456 viewsFrimleyBlue

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:16 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

I posted yesterday accusing people of overreacting to our wobble and other teams results, but make no mistake, not getting promoted this season would be a dreadful result and not good enough. With the funding and resources we have we absolutely should be aiming for top 2.

We're not the finished article, and we clearly need a better centre forward to complement Ladapo, but not going up should not be normalised as being acceptable.

This is one of the main reasons I've been so vocal and defensive of my thoughts.

Yesterday there were posts saying the footballs great that's all that matters and if we don't go up its OK we go again next season.

It shouldn't be OK if we don't. And recently we've been doing our best not to make it.

I just hope in the next week we have that first Jan signing in who shows what our intent is.

Waka waka eh eh

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:24 - Jan 2 with 4374 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:16 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

I suspect Mark Steed is of a similar opinion.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:26 - Jan 2 with 4349 viewsbluejacko

Wednesday maybe but Plymouth? Admittedly they are playing very well BUT how many of their key players are loans from other clubs ? It’s working now but IF they get promoted what then?
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:27 - Jan 2 with 4328 viewsclive_baker

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:19 - Jan 2 by FrimleyBlue

This is one of the main reasons I've been so vocal and defensive of my thoughts.

Yesterday there were posts saying the footballs great that's all that matters and if we don't go up its OK we go again next season.

It shouldn't be OK if we don't. And recently we've been doing our best not to make it.

I just hope in the next week we have that first Jan signing in who shows what our intent is.

I don’t think we need loads tbh Frimmers, I still just think the priority is an out and out number 9 to lead the line. Jackson is an OK squad player but little more, and Ladapo needs some help.

Harness was poor today but we know his strengths, Chaplin is hugely valuable and Aluko offers something entirely different. With young Humphreys as well, Luongo potentially joining and hopefully Camara coming back at some stage. Not to mention TJJ too who can hopefully play a part in the run in. Burns, Davis, Morsy, Evans. We’ve got enough quality to see through the next 21 league games.

I think we just need 1 statement #9, but I still think that’s been true since the summer and I think our attempted recruitment back then would suggest we’ve known it. It feels like forever ago that we could claim to have a ‘top’ striker in our division. Murphy probably.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:27 - Jan 2 with 4326 viewsDubtractor

I still think people have gone way OTT on occasion, including yourself.

We've just come through 2 tough months with a number of injuries to key players, and largely kept pace with Plymouth and Wednesday - Plymouths last 3 games have obviously lifted them. We can all (well most of us) see that we need to be more clinical in the final third, and it seems pretty clear that McKenna agrees given all the rumours, and indeed his comments today.

Clearly we want to improve, and we have problems against very defensive teams, but 50 points from 25 games is a total every single one of us would have been delighted with back in August.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:28 - Jan 2 with 4292 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:26 - Jan 2 by bluejacko

Wednesday maybe but Plymouth? Admittedly they are playing very well BUT how many of their key players are loans from other clubs ? It’s working now but IF they get promoted what then?

That's not a problem they will be worrying about

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:30 - Jan 2 with 4241 viewsFrimleyBlue

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:27 - Jan 2 by clive_baker

I don’t think we need loads tbh Frimmers, I still just think the priority is an out and out number 9 to lead the line. Jackson is an OK squad player but little more, and Ladapo needs some help.

Harness was poor today but we know his strengths, Chaplin is hugely valuable and Aluko offers something entirely different. With young Humphreys as well, Luongo potentially joining and hopefully Camara coming back at some stage. Not to mention TJJ too who can hopefully play a part in the run in. Burns, Davis, Morsy, Evans. We’ve got enough quality to see through the next 21 league games.

I think we just need 1 statement #9, but I still think that’s been true since the summer and I think our attempted recruitment back then would suggest we’ve known it. It feels like forever ago that we could claim to have a ‘top’ striker in our division. Murphy probably.

I think 4.

Striker
Cm
RWB

I think the likes of Harness are better as subs. He's got legs. Runs around and presses well. But you can't trust him to be a creative force as a 10 consistently imo.

Cms... something has to give somewhere. Both players are excellent in what they do... but we have 2 cms who don't seem to have that extra attacking quality when they get to the box.

Striker is a given

Rwb.. what ever role we are gonna give Burns. We need more output from such a position.

Waka waka eh eh

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:35 - Jan 2 with 4167 viewsFrimleyBlue

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:27 - Jan 2 by Dubtractor

I still think people have gone way OTT on occasion, including yourself.

We've just come through 2 tough months with a number of injuries to key players, and largely kept pace with Plymouth and Wednesday - Plymouths last 3 games have obviously lifted them. We can all (well most of us) see that we need to be more clinical in the final third, and it seems pretty clear that McKenna agrees given all the rumours, and indeed his comments today.

Clearly we want to improve, and we have problems against very defensive teams, but 50 points from 25 games is a total every single one of us would have been delighted with back in August.

It's just frustration.

So many times over the years we've seen the forum full of " only 6 points to play offs" etc like it was a positive each week then we fell away to something like 14th.

Then seeing on here recently. It's OK still 2nd. Like other results weren't helping sides to catch up to us.

At one point we had 14 points to 7th. 5 points to 3rd. And now we are looking up to 2nd.

Yes we've had injuries etc. But when you've spent what we had.. its been a big dip regardless of people's thoughts.

Today's game tho has given me a bit of confidence that we can do it. With the right players this window.

It's just are we going to see a Davis or Ahadme type signing.

Waka waka eh eh

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:43 - Jan 2 with 4073 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:35 - Jan 2 by FrimleyBlue

It's just frustration.

So many times over the years we've seen the forum full of " only 6 points to play offs" etc like it was a positive each week then we fell away to something like 14th.

Then seeing on here recently. It's OK still 2nd. Like other results weren't helping sides to catch up to us.

At one point we had 14 points to 7th. 5 points to 3rd. And now we are looking up to 2nd.

Yes we've had injuries etc. But when you've spent what we had.. its been a big dip regardless of people's thoughts.

Today's game tho has given me a bit of confidence that we can do it. With the right players this window.

It's just are we going to see a Davis or Ahadme type signing.

Fair.

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 20:27 - Jan 2 with 3676 viewsMullet

Explain MK Dons.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 21:10 - Jan 2 with 3405 viewsSharkey

"This whole idea that you can transform a club in what 18 months is really not the case."

Evans at Stevenage may be the exception that proves the rule.
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 21:14 - Jan 2 with 3365 viewsFrimleyBlue

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 21:10 - Jan 2 by Sharkey

"This whole idea that you can transform a club in what 18 months is really not the case."

Evans at Stevenage may be the exception that proves the rule.

Didn't the plymouth manager only take over in 21?

Waka waka eh eh

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 21:51 - Jan 2 with 3080 viewsSharkey

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 21:14 - Jan 2 by FrimleyBlue

Didn't the plymouth manager only take over in 21?

As the OP points out, Plymouth weren't too shabby this time last year.

Stevenage finished last season 4th bottom and are now 2nd. The interesting thing about is that experts predicted this in the summer. They could see a transformation was about to happen.
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 22:17 - Jan 2 with 2927 viewstractordownsouth

Not sure about this. We were badly managed pre-2021 but 18 months ago we’d assembled the majority of this squad and with the additions we’ve had since then we should be good enough to go up, or at least go close. Wednesday were also a basket case back then as well.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 22:23 - Jan 2 with 2859 viewsStewart27

This is a fair point, but surely we’re still in the enjoy the ride stage?

If it becomes mathematically impossible or improbable then I get it. I’ll be as gutted as the next man. But this league is going to have so many twists and turns in the next few weeks/months that fans really need to keep a cool head.

But most of all bloody enjoy it!
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 22:31 - Jan 2 with 2795 viewsBOBD

Don’t agree.

Only 7 of the Wednesday squad were at the club in 20/21.

11 of the Wednesday squad were signed this season.

Plymouth have a fraction of the budget and have had to bring in 5 loan players.

It is just utter nonsense.
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 22:46 - Jan 2 with 2689 viewsChurchman

Thank you for this. A spot on post with the right perspective. It’s easy to forget the top to bottom disaster this club was not so long ago.
Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 08:06 - Jan 3 with 2104 viewsElephantintheRoom

And when Plymouth lose their next three games all will be well in the world again

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 08:19 - Jan 3 with 2048 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Plymouth + Sheff Wed on 19:03 - Jan 2 by pennblue

But you have to consider the club was on the floor Summer 2021. So my point is the rebuild (from rock bottom) really started then.

But that’s complete nonsense. We finished 9th in 2020/21 whilst Plymouth were 18th. Sheffield Wednesday finished bottom of the Championship and have had to completely rebuild the squad since coming down

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024