Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday 10:22 - Apr 18 with 3380 viewsbluelagos

What type of thing do we think it could get used for when it's up and running?

Obvious one would be a terrorist attack - like 7/7 bombs and a warning to people to stay away from a certain area.

Or a loose gunman - like that guy who went mental in Cumbria - again, keep away.

Any other scenarios where the warning system could be useful? Not expecting any tsunamis to be heading this way tbh.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:24 - Apr 18 with 2269 viewstonybied

Zombie apocalypse?
So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:26 - Apr 18 with 2261 viewsBuhrer

2 minute hate?
So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:28 - Apr 18 with 2249 viewsbluelagos

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:24 - Apr 18 by tonybied

Zombie apocalypse?

Suppose they could set if off as you approached Kings Lynn in your car? "Warning - zombie like creatures frequent this place"

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:29 - Apr 18 with 2247 viewsblueasfook

It's nearly 10.30 and McD's are about to stop doing breakfast menu.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:32 - Apr 18 with 2232 viewshomer_123

Town win the L1 title is the obvious answer.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:33 - Apr 18 with 2217 viewsbluelagos

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:32 - Apr 18 by homer_123

Town win the L1 title is the obvious answer.

To all supporters of championship teams - "The town are up and are coming for ya"

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:36 - Apr 18 with 2205 viewsbaxterbasics

Well at least we know it is coming.

Unlike the poor souls in Hawaii who got an unannounced message in error back in 2018:

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:03 - Apr 18 with 2150 viewstonybied

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:36 - Apr 18 by baxterbasics

Unlike the poor souls in Hawaii who got an unannounced message in error back in 2018:

I expect they must have sent another one out shortly after that warning of a shortage of clean pants in the country!
Login to get fewer ads

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:03 - Apr 18 with 2150 viewsstonojnr

Well no they've said it won't be used in those kind of scenarios because the information would be confusing, cause panic and constantly changing anyway.

It's real only use case is some kind of national threat event, ie the 3min warning, or nuclear meltdown.

However to save face and cover up the undoubted costs of doing this, I've no doubt it will be used for announcing the next incoming named storm event, the next flu epidemic the next heatwave, the next general election, death of a monarch etc etc.

At which point they'll realise most people have disabled it, and then I've no doubt they'll insist phone manufacturers remove the capability to disable it.
So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:10 - Apr 18 with 2124 viewsSwansea_Blue

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:36 - Apr 18 by baxterbasics

Oops! But I’m sure we can screw it up even better than even that (whilst lining the pockets of friends and donors).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:12 - Apr 18 with 2121 viewsMJallday

Town promotion party

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:12 - Apr 18 with 2115 viewsbaxterbasics

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:03 - Apr 18 by stonojnr

Well no they've said it won't be used in those kind of scenarios because the information would be confusing, cause panic and constantly changing anyway.

It's real only use case is some kind of national threat event, ie the 3min warning, or nuclear meltdown.

However to save face and cover up the undoubted costs of doing this, I've no doubt it will be used for announcing the next incoming named storm event, the next flu epidemic the next heatwave, the next general election, death of a monarch etc etc.

At which point they'll realise most people have disabled it, and then I've no doubt they'll insist phone manufacturers remove the capability to disable it.

I don't know the answer but wouldn't they be able to localise these alerts where appropriate? So "warning to Ipswich residents - heavy flooding imminent" for example?

Otherwise yes seems fairly pointless, the only time everyone in the UK would need telling would be a situation where most of us are about to die anyway.

zip

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:18 - Apr 18 with 2102 viewsbaxterbasics

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:03 - Apr 18 by tonybied

I expect they must have sent another one out shortly after that warning of a shortage of clean pants in the country!

It took a full 38 minutes for a correction to be sent out!

Fascinating reading about how people responded:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Hawaii_false_missile_alert

zip

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:30 - Apr 18 with 2084 viewsBloomBlue

Well we are heading towards a complete nanny state, so it will be for all and everything. There will be fans heading towards PR on a Saturday and we'll all receive a warning text about a crisp packet blowing about and we all need to be careful as the wind could blow it into your face and damage an eye.
So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:43 - Apr 18 with 2051 viewsWeWereZombies

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 10:24 - Apr 18 by tonybied

Zombie apocalypse?

Oh, don't worry, we are working on that and have it scheduled for the weekend. Going to be really useful when all the real humans are in hiding and then their phone alarms go off...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:51 - Apr 18 with 2010 viewsKeno

If we drew Newcastle at home in the cup would there be a Toonarmy warning?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 12:13 - Apr 18 with 1981 viewsBellevueblue

I've received one while overseas once, warning me about a 5.7 magnitude earthquake.

Was pretty interesting to read but not so helpful that I'd managed to sleep through the earthquake and alert and was reading it hours late.
So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:31 - Apr 18 with 1918 viewsbluelagos

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 12:13 - Apr 18 by Bellevueblue

I've received one while overseas once, warning me about a 5.7 magnitude earthquake.

Was pretty interesting to read but not so helpful that I'd managed to sleep through the earthquake and alert and was reading it hours late.

Quality

My mate once showered through an earthquake in South America. He said he was hungover and just thought his head was spinning a bit.

Finished the shower, got dressed, left the house to discover there'd been a minor earthquake.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2023 13:31]

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:46 - Apr 18 with 1881 viewsBlueBadger

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:30 - Apr 18 by BloomBlue

Well we are heading towards a complete nanny state, so it will be for all and everything. There will be fans heading towards PR on a Saturday and we'll all receive a warning text about a crisp packet blowing about and we all need to be careful as the wind could blow it into your face and damage an eye.

Our current government will probably be using it to warn delicate snowflakes that someone's being nice to women, LGBTQ people, refugees or the poor in your local area.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:52 - Apr 18 with 1864 viewsclive_baker

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 11:51 - Apr 18 by Keno

If we drew Newcastle at home in the cup would there be a Toonarmy warning?

Alright Rodney Marsh

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:54 - Apr 18 with 1858 viewsbluelagos

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:46 - Apr 18 by BlueBadger

Our current government will probably be using it to warn delicate snowflakes that someone's being nice to women, LGBTQ people, refugees or the poor in your local area.

"Warning - 30 refugees from East Africa just turned up on a beach in Kent. That's why your relative has waited a year for their NHS treatment - get the pitchforks at the ready"

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:57 - Apr 18 with 1849 viewsCoastalblue

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 12:13 - Apr 18 by Bellevueblue

A friend of mine slept through the '87 hurricane, on a boat, moored up just off Southend. Got up in the morning and went above to see carnage everywhere.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 14:00 - Apr 18 with 1838 viewshoppy

Goal alerts, mostly.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 14:08 - Apr 18 with 1810 viewsbluelagos

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:57 - Apr 18 by Coastalblue

A friend of mine slept through the '87 hurricane, on a boat, moored up just off Southend. Got up in the morning and went above to see carnage everywhere.

So 2 weeks before the 87 hurricane, I got a bit p*ssed and couldn't get in the house, so climbed on the car port to clamber through my bedroom window. Bit too drunk, fell off and fell through the car port roof, onto the family car.

Slept the night in the shed, and when my Dad got up I asked if anyone had heard the noise last night and thought maybe the car port roof had some "wind damage".

Got away with it too, but my Dad could never work out why the car port didn't get any damage in the storms a couple of weeks later, especially as all the fences were down :-)

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 14:10 - Apr 18 with 1802 viewsBlueBadger

So this national test of the warning thingy on everyone's phones this Sunday on 13:54 - Apr 18 by bluelagos

"Warning - 30 refugees from East Africa just turned up on a beach in Kent. That's why your relative has waited a year for their NHS treatment - get the pitchforks at the ready"

'A transgender person is having a quiet coffee within 14 miles of a school. Seek shelter now'

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024