Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) 22:12 - Apr 28 with 8486 viewslborodan

Chatting coffee with Lee Evans, watching Fridge take an ice bath, photos with the players and exchanging numbers with Chappers. How did it happen to a 37-year old Ipswich fan living in Loughborough?

I’m a long term reader of TWTD but this is my first post in probably 20 years. As we collectively prepare for what we hope to be a party come 5pm on Saturday, I reflected on all the personal enjoyment and insight I’ve taken from this online community and have been moved to share memories and insights from a precious few days in my life in 2022, in the hope that anybody out there would enjoy reading my first hand experience with this team of players we now hold so dear.

It all started when TWTD were the first to break the news (of course) that my club, Ipswich, would travel to my hometown of Loughborough for their pre-season training camp. Great - I thought - if I’m lucky, I might get to watch them training at some point in the week.

July came around soon after, by which point I had a fair idea the squad would arrive on the first Monday of the month to start their camp. I planned an hour away from work expecting to cycle around Loughborough to try to find where they were stationed. As it happened, I cycled all of 100m from my house and at my first port of call and there was an energetic group of blue buzzing around on the university training pitches a row of houses away from my house. Wonderful. I could really get a close look. No fences, open fields and no other interest from what I could tell. I was the only fan there.

I caught them in their last 10 minutes of their first evening session, which was competitive and vocal. The next day I would realise that I could hear their heated practice match calls from my back garden. They marched off to hit the gym and all I could muster was a shy grin. To be honest at that moment in time I could only name around half the squad by sight. I did recognise Wes Burns though - fresh off his first Wales caps at that point. I managed a “Congrats on the caps Wes”. He said, “Thanks”, smiled and nodded as he walked by.

It’s timely to mention that together with my wife I own a cafe in Loughborough that is located somewhere between my house and where the team trained, i.e. very close. So as soon as I moved sheepishly away from Wes and biked home, all thoughts turned to how I could get the team along to my cafe.

First step, get my wife to the gym. Odd and perhaps slightly offensive to my wife you might say. No malice intended at all - she had a membership to the gym the boys were heading. And she had an Ipswich shirt. A relic from the 2011 season that she wore once all year - to the famous defeat of Arsenal courtesy of Tamas Priskin (my wife has a very good win record by the way). Off she went then, in blue and white to sow some seeds of an idea.

I was filled with envy when she (not so reserved, and a delight to talk to) sent me back a reel of photos working out alongside Fridge, Woolfy, El Miz and more. She even got her shirt signed on the way out. She also mentioned our cafe.

So the next day I had to play it cool. I was looking after my 3 year old boy that day. He also has an Ipswich shirt. I do too of course, but did not feel the full grown adult in favourite team shirt would strike the right note. 3 year old though - who could argue with that (he tried actually).

So we went along for the morning training session and as planned, attracted attention. The plan was working. First up, Mr. Chaplin trotted over, said hi, played with my boy, posed for pics joined by Kayden Jackson. I chatted with Dom Ball, who came off that training session with a sore ankle. It would develop into the first injury lay off for him in the season ahead. Across the way, Fridge was easing into an ice bath, lovingly prepared by the physio team for several players. He was the only one brave enough to jump in. More photos with him and Cam Burgess followed before the team retreated for lunch.

Away from the players, I had some fascinating chats. Notably with James Pullen who described his journey from Town ‘keeper debut to now, First Team Kit Manager. A forgotten role perhaps, but it was clear that James was just happy to be there, be around the team and be part of what he described as “something special happening”. He was like a fan in much the same way as I was, only he was excited like we all are now because he had seen it all develop, even as early in the McKenna reign as it was then. Another chat was with the tech guy. He was talking me through how they used video footage for analysis whilst he was busy operating a drone floating over the training pitch. I was a bit taken aback that such analysis was being performed on mere training exercises.

McKenna had an aura. He was either on the phone to someone (giving opinions on potential signings?), or in deep conversation with his coaching team about one thing or another. I would have expected a few laughs around the camp so early in pre-season. But it was training time and everyone without a fault looked focused and determined.

Finally I spoke to the guy who looked after the logistics, the team coach, what the players were doing in the little down time they had. He was the guy! We spoke at length and I invited the players for coffee at my gaff.

Without much expectation, I potted around the next morning only to be alerted by my staff (I had warned them of the slim possibility), that some guys in blue were getting takeaway coffees and I should probably come over. Off I went (sprinted) and arrived to find Wes, Kayden, Lee Evans and Head of Sport Science Andy Costin, sipping on my brew…from takeaway cups I had designed, with smiles on their faces (imagine if they had hated it). I introduced myself as a fan, and could think of nothing else to say but “Can I have a picture?” Taking it in their stride, they obliged. Even outside in front of the store. One for the scrapbook.

The next few days were a whirlwind. My cafe became their favourite chill out spot between training. A varied group of different squad members would drop in before the morning session and after lunch for the next few days. I chatted more and more with the like of Lee Evans who was fascinated by coffee (we do great coffee), latte art and the business in general. I had a decent conversation with Kayden about his kid. From seeing my boy with me on the first day he shared a story about his own lad of similar age. He, in particular, came across as such a genuine guy, prepared to do whatever it took to succeed, with his family as motivation. Seeing his season so far and his sacrifices for the team (despite the criticism he sometimes receives) makes me quite emotional, knowing where it comes from.

Fridge was like a kid. He jumped at the chance when I invited the boys to have a go at some latte art on our machine. A group of the lads came over to have a go. George was first up, with an audience of Walton, Chappers, Evans and Cam. I pinched myself as I stood in front of my boys on the pitch hanging on my every word. Sure it was about how to steam milk, but surely it’s pretty similar to how McK must feel in the dressing room, right?!

Without exception, the boys were gold and there was an overwhelming sense that they were one unit, a family almost, seeing them as they were simply enjoying free time around each other rather than being in their hotel rooms. The other thing that stood out was coaches like Rene Gilmartin and Andy Costin also enjoying time around the players relaxing, seemingly acting as a go between with the players and other management.

Perhaps it won’t come as a huge surprise as to who stood out all the way through though. It felt like a humble fella called Conor was at the heart of it all. He was first to say hi, he encouraged the boys along to the cafe everyday and he was the one who approached me and said thank you (thank me?!) for looking after the boys. He also suggested I give him a shout when an away game local to the Midlands came about. A quick look on TWTD at the fixture list: Derby away seemed like a good shout. Promotion party I joked. A bit premature perhaps, but what a day that turned out to be. True to his word, Conor (first name terms you know) went out of his way to arrange me and my Dad (also a regular on here) tickets when there were no tickets. At one of the most requested games of the year, we were sat amongst friends and family of the players - Kayden’s partner and boy in the row behind me - and it was glorious.

To summarise then. This team, these players have a place in my heart. And they do for most of us. And I’m not suggested the feeling is any greater for me than it is for you, but being up close to them, seeing the hunger in their eyes, and being touched by their kindness and generosity has given this season an extra shine for me, whatever happens tomorrow.

But of course, if IT does happen, and once the dust settles, you can be sure that I’ll be dropping Mr. Chaplin a text, emphasising the importance of their Loughborough summer camp and the absolute necessity to repeat it for the season ahead.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: typos
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 23:01]
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 22:25 - Apr 28 with 6407 viewsBlueBlood78

Brilliant read, thank you for sharing.
COYB
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 22:31 - Apr 28 with 6375 viewsChorleyBoy

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing, lborodan.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 22:32 - Apr 28 with 6393 viewsle2blue

Great read, thanks for posting. My wife works at the uni and saw the team whilst they were there, her family are from Loughborough (Maxwell Drive) and we're over in Leicester. Let me know where your cafe is, I'll have to call in on one of my bike rides over to Bradgate to have a promotion latte.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 22:52 - Apr 28 with 6259 viewsketton_itfc

What a wonderful read. Thank You!
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 22:59 - Apr 28 with 6214 viewscatch74

Thanks for posting - adds more to the feeling we’ve got such a good bunch, if that were possible.
Great work getting them to your cafe and well deserved rewards x

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 23:40 - Apr 28 with 6143 viewsFixed_It

What a great story - which, as you quite rightly state, confirms what a great bunch our players are. Thanks for sharing!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 00:25 - Apr 29 with 6065 viewsIllinoisblue

What a fantastic read. Got quite emotional reading that. If ever a squad deserved promotion….COYB.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 00:31 - Apr 29 with 6053 viewsnorfsufblue

That's my boy😉👍
Login to get fewer ads

Dusty in here (n/t) on 00:33 - Apr 29 with 6044 viewsScottCandage

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 00:59 - Apr 29 with 6020 viewsnorth_stand77

Very enjoyable read -thanks for posting.

Just shows what a great bunch of players we have . Chappers in particular seems to go the extra mile. He comes across as a naturally kind and friendly bloke, a credit to the club.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 06:18 - Apr 29 with 5903 viewspowinswitch

Thank you. You lived the dream for a week. And by the sounds of it you created a perfect ambience for the players and staff. I get the impression that Mr Chaplin is a natural leader and a very decent man. He oozes integrity from the little that I see of him.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 06:19 - Apr 29 with 5896 viewsKieran_Knows

Fan-bloody-tastic.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 06:29 - Apr 29 with 5870 viewsgarygboltonblue

Brilliant read , thanks for sharing.

Great way to start the day.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 06:42 - Apr 29 with 5833 viewsnorfsufblue

Any chance of a sticky Phil?
I was the "lucky Dad" at Derby
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 06:48 - Apr 29 with 5817 viewsnorfsufblue

Ties in with this
https://trainingground.guru/articles/how-ipswich-academy-deliver-elite-video-ana
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 07:08 - Apr 29 with 5719 viewsHerbivore

Lovely story, thank you for sharing. Chappers seems like such a good guy, and Kayden is just a diamond. I know people who have met him and they've said he's so generous with his time, just a really warm guy who is always happy to talk to fans. He's been in and out of the team this year but it's been great to see him be part of something successful and he's had plenty of moments where he's contributed to that success.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 07:20 - Apr 29 with 5698 viewsBlueBoots

Thank you for your contribution to our success this season (don't underestimate it); being a Town fan based 150 miles away from Ipswich, you helped to emphasise to the players that we have fans everywhere (as clubs of our size do), and gave them somewhere to relax away from training where they could bond as people as well as players. As I said, don't underestimate it - everything that has happened this season has taken us on this journey!

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 07:49 - Apr 29 with 5626 viewsGreenEye

Great read. Love the bit about KM.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 09:22 - Apr 29 with 5281 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Thanks for a brilliant and surprisingly emotional read as I await a flight home at Malaga airport.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 09:29 - Apr 29 with 5251 viewsMullet

You jammy sod x

Wonderful

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 09:43 - Apr 29 with 5200 viewschicoazul

An excellent read with the added bonus of some Le Carre-esque espionage. They’re good lads our lot.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 10:07 - Apr 29 with 5150 viewsKeno

Thanks for sharing

My hay fever is really bad already today

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 10:17 - Apr 29 with 5125 viewsTVRBlue

Very special moments for you, and your family, and thank you for sharing them with us.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 11:19 - Apr 29 with 4997 viewsTrumptonBlue

Really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
A story from pre-season (a longer read to occupy the nerves) on 11:29 - Apr 29 with 4960 viewsnodge_blue

I think you should now serve a (Massimo) Luongo coffee.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024