Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? 10:06 - May 22 with 3386 viewsDubtractor

As we finally seem to be heading into warmer weather, how about a thread on one of the boards favourite subjects - burgers.

So what is your go to bbq burger set up?

Mine is 2 x decent quality burgers, grilled to have just a tiny bit of pink in the middle, decent slice of cheddar in between the two burgers to maximise the melt, chilli jam on the bottom of the roll, ketchup and gherkins on the top. Served in a tiger roll.

Simple but very effective.

[Post edited 22 May 2023 10:20]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:09 - May 22 with 2752 viewsJ2BLUE

and ketchup in a decent bakery roll. Cheese topped a bonus.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:11 - May 22 with 2745 viewsBuhrer

Beyond Burgers, toasted brioche buns, ketchup, gherkin, raw onion, cucumber, beef tomato, coleslaw.
What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:13 - May 22 with 2736 viewsJ2BLUE

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:11 - May 22 by Buhrer

Beyond Burgers, toasted brioche buns, ketchup, gherkin, raw onion, cucumber, beef tomato, coleslaw.

Beyond burgers are good. Those chorizo ones above are the most convincing vegan burger I have ever had.

Truly impaired.

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:27 - May 22 with 2677 viewsDubtractor

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:13 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Beyond burgers are good. Those chorizo ones above are the most convincing vegan burger I have ever had.

The beyond meat burgers are very good tbf, Mrs Dub is one of those vegan types, and the beyond burgers cook just like meat on a bbq, rather than just drying out like a lot of vegan burgers do.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:31 - May 22 with 2660 viewsBuhrer

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:27 - May 22 by Dubtractor

The beyond meat burgers are very good tbf, Mrs Dub is one of those vegan types, and the beyond burgers cook just like meat on a bbq, rather than just drying out like a lot of vegan burgers do.

After experimentation, they were the only ones my veggie family enjoy. You could actually fool some people with them, all of the time. I will look out for J2s chorizo suggestion.
What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:34 - May 22 with 2654 viewsblueasfook

Sesame seed bun - very lightly toasted
Bed of lettuce on bottom of bun and a good dollop of burger sauce.
Nice thick burger on top of that, topped with a slice of melted mature cheddar
Top off with burger relish and a couple of red onion rings.

Bosh

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:36 - May 22 with 2638 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Quarter pounder with bbq sauce, slow cooked pulled pork and a brioche bun!

And a cold pale ale.
What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:46 - May 22 with 2560 viewsJakeITFC

I tend to make smash burgers on a frying pan rather than a BBQ, find them so much better than anything pre-made.

Generally:

Two pucks of good quality mince to be smashed (usually about 80-100g of 10-15% fat minced beef, no oil required)
American cheese slice on both patties
Brioche bun toasted in the pan
Ketchup, mustard, finely diced onion and shredded iceberg lettuce on the bottom bun, top with the burgers.
Login to get fewer ads

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:52 - May 22 with 2546 viewsDanTheMan

Tend to make my own burgers. You want a decent amount of fat (probably 20%+) for me, although it does still work at lower amounts. I usually do smash burgers as they are just a bit easier.

Don't really need anything in the burgers themselves like onion or any of that jazz.

Little seasoning just before they go on.

Lettuce, pickles, tomato, maybe some american cheese.

Burger bun honestly I'm not that fussed about. I find Brioche a little sweet so I tend to just get a standard cob style bun. Usually try and toast it.

Ketchup and mayo.

For vegeterian burgers, I really like this recipe from Kenji (his cooking books are brilliant)

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:59 - May 22 with 2512 viewswkj

Get a rustler burger and stick it in the microwave, then eat it. Once finished, let the shame and regret take you to amazing heights on the grill.

You can do better than this.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 11:05]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 11:25 - May 22 with 2417 viewsclive_baker

The best thing about BBQ season is how seriously I can take my condiments. I quite like the Bulls Eye BBQ sauce, that's lovely. Closer to home the Stokes sticky BBQ is good too. A lot of sugar but you know, YOLO.

Recently bought some buffalo sauce too. My plan is to make buffalo cauliflower 'wings' but not got round to it yet.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 11:29 - May 22 with 2402 viewsclive_baker

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:34 - May 22 by blueasfook

Sesame seed bun - very lightly toasted
Bed of lettuce on bottom of bun and a good dollop of burger sauce.
Nice thick burger on top of that, topped with a slice of melted mature cheddar
Top off with burger relish and a couple of red onion rings.

Bosh

Fried onions or raw?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 12:11 - May 22 with 2336 viewsblueasfook

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 11:29 - May 22 by clive_baker

Fried onions or raw?

Usually raw, i like the crunch factor

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 12:12 - May 22 with 2339 viewsN2_Blue

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:27 - May 22 by Dubtractor

I love my burgers and whilst i've massively reduced my meat consumption i can never pass up on a burger. My mrs is a vegetarian and i have to say the Beyond burgers are fantastic. The only vegetarian burger I've had that actually looks and drips like a proper barbequed burger and even the texture and feel are like meat. It can't taste like meat obviously but gives it a pretty good go. They are so far removed from any other vegetarian burger on the market whoever created them has a secret that no one else has got near.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:28 - May 22 with 2242 viewsChurchman

If it’s going on a bbq, you don’t need to mess with it too much.

Good quality minced beef, seasoning, a little Worcestershire Sauce, sprinkle of mixed herbs, ready to rock. Cook to just a tinge of pink in the middle, serve on a fresh, lightly buttered crusty roll with fried, caramelised onions and a slab of good strong cheddar or blue cheese.

Job done.

Brioche rolls? Dreadful. Wayyyy too sweet but then I’m not a fan of things like bagels either. Ban. Gherkins - nope. Lettuce and tomato? Add nothing apart from eating aggro and a vague feeling of smugness that your five a day is sorted. Vegetarian? Not for me.

Burgers: food of the gods in all forms. Beef, chicken, lamb, buffalo, venison = all good. The best I’ve ever had was in Borough Market. Cost a fortune but it was off the scale.

Worst: Fulham’s ground in about 1996 for a League Cup game. Grey is not a great colour for a burger. That flaccid, greasy handful of horror tasted worse than it looked. Even the bin tried to throw it back..
[Post edited 22 May 2023 13:41]
What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:55 - May 22 with 2182 viewsJ2BLUE

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:28 - May 22 by Churchman

Good quality minced beef, seasoning, a little Worcestershire Sauce, sprinkle of mixed herbs, ready to rock. Cook to just a tinge of pink in the middle, serve on a fresh, lightly buttered crusty roll with fried, caramelised onions and a slab of good strong cheddar or blue cheese.

Job done.

Brioche rolls? Dreadful. Wayyyy too sweet but then I’m not a fan of things like bagels either. Ban. Gherkins - nope. Lettuce and tomato? Add nothing apart from eating aggro and a vague feeling of smugness that your five a day is sorted. Vegetarian? Not for me.

Burgers: food of the gods in all forms. Beef, chicken, lamb, buffalo, venison = all good. The best I’ve ever had was in Borough Market. Cost a fortune but it was off the scale.

Worst: Fulham’s ground in about 1996 for a League Cup game. Grey is not a great colour for a burger. That flaccid, greasy handful of horror tasted worse than it looked. Even the bin tried to throw it back..

Agree on brioche. Madness.

Truly impaired.

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:58 - May 22 with 2174 viewsDubtractor

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:28 - May 22 by Churchman

Job done.

Ha, worst burger, now that's possibly a thread all on its own.

Clear winner for me - Foxhall stadium back the 90s. The alarm bells started ringing when the burger was taken from a tin (think tinned hotdogs, but a burger). Not only was it the worst burger I've ever eaten, it was possibly the worst food I have ever paid for.

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:58 - May 22 with 2171 viewsGavTWTD

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 10:13 - May 22 by J2BLUE

I think we get too caught up whether vegan/vegetarian food is "convincing ". Shirley taste is the most important thing here (along with other advantages). If its tasty, embrace it.

Maybe some sauces like buffalo would work better on a veggie burger?

If you're trying to fool people, and you don't, you're onto a loser.

I do love a good beefburger though. Crunchy lettuce, proper juicy thick burger, cheddar slice, caramelised onion. [Chefs kiss]

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 14:03 - May 22 with 2161 viewsDubtractor

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:55 - May 22 by J2BLUE

Agree on brioche. Madness.

Plus one from me on the brioche bun. I'll eat it if that's what it comes with, but it feels like eating a burger in a slice of cake.

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 14:28 - May 22 with 2121 viewsJ2BLUE

What's you perfect homemade bbq burger? on 13:58 - May 22 by GavTWTD

I think we get too caught up whether vegan/vegetarian food is "convincing ". Shirley taste is the most important thing here (along with other advantages). If its tasty, embrace it.

Maybe some sauces like buffalo would work better on a veggie burger?

If you're trying to fool people, and you don't, you're onto a loser.

I do love a good beefburger though. Crunchy lettuce, proper juicy thick burger, cheddar slice, caramelised onion. [Chefs kiss]

I do like a meat burger though so finding a plant one which is convincing is a good find.

There is plenty of plant based stuff which doesn't really taste like meat versions but are nice options.

Truly impaired.

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:13 - May 22 with 2046 viewsKropotkin123

Thought you were actually making it...

Burger - something along the lines of:
Dry aged beef mince
Italian seasoning mix
Garlic powder
Italian breadcrumbs
Cayenne pepper

Bun - not one of the sweet ones
Filling - not raw onion
Sauce - not mayo or mayo based

Cooked medium-rare

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:21 - May 22 with 2032 viewsDubtractor

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:13 - May 22 by Kropotkin123

Thought you were actually making it...

Burger - something along the lines of:
Dry aged beef mince
Italian seasoning mix
Garlic powder
Italian breadcrumbs
Cayenne pepper

Bun - not one of the sweet ones
Filling - not raw onion
Sauce - not mayo or mayo based

Cooked medium-rare

Yeah, possibly a misleading thread title....

I do make my own on occasion, usually involves good quality mince with at least 15% fat, salt and pepper, bit of cajun seasoning, not much else. Possibly herbs from the garden, depending on my taste preference at the time.

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:29 - May 22 with 1998 viewsdirtyboy

Levi Roots does a cracking recipe for a chicken and mango burger, which when combined with a good quality BBQ sauce (even his reggae reggae one works) in a brioche roll, lightly toasted, makes a cracking BBQ piece of grub.

Otherwise, generally any good quality butcher burger, cooked to one's taste (pink - if good meat) again....brioche...toasted for texture through the layers...

Some lettuce, fresh red onion, blue cheese slice and then any good sauce (chilli jam, bbq, even a mayo)

Love tiger bread but too much with a burger in density.

Had the coals lit on Saturday, sat in the garden with a fever tree lemonade coupled with a parma violet gin....long glass....with ice...all I needed was a fake tan, turkey teeth and my ar*e waxed and i'd have nailed life.
What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:29 - May 22 with 1995 viewsChurchman

What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:21 - May 22 by Dubtractor

Yeah, possibly a misleading thread title....

I do make my own on occasion, usually involves good quality mince with at least 15% fat, salt and pepper, bit of cajun seasoning, not much else. Possibly herbs from the garden, depending on my taste preference at the time.

Cajun is a definite thumbs up and you fancy a burger with an alternative bit of a zing, Moroccan seasoning works well. Add salt and pepper to the mix and it’s boom! Happy days.
What's your perfect homemade bbq burger? on 16:33 - May 22 with 1989 viewsKieran_Knows

It HAS to have coleslaw in it.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024