Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has an oven chip 20:44 - Aug 3 with 3654 viewsthe_toff

Ever been ready in the time it says on the packet?

18 minutes my japs eye
Has an oven chip on 20:47 - Aug 3 with 2847 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

My seasoned curly fries I’ve just devoured were done splendidly in the 20 minutes at 220c the packet recommended.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Has an oven chip on 20:50 - Aug 3 with 2824 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ready in about ten minutes if you cook them in an air fryer.

In the oven it's usually 30 minutes.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Has an oven chip on 20:51 - Aug 3 with 2821 viewsLord_Lucan

I don't really eat the things but my Mrs does and I have found that they take twice as long as the packets directions........

........Unless you use the brilliant Ninja Air Fryer

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Has an oven chip on 20:52 - Aug 3 with 2814 viewsthe_toff

Hmm maybe I need to get myself an air fryer. I’ve resisted this far but I do like the sound of them.

Also, iced buns have to be the worst ‘sweet’ ever. Basically a sugary hot dog roll with icing sugar on top. Rank.
Has an oven chip on 21:00 - Aug 3 with 2779 viewsChurchman

Top shelf, 220 degrees, make sure the oven is hot and ready to rock, 35 minutes, job done.

Crinkle cut are the best - though of course one has to accept that they’re no competition for home made or proper chip shop.
Has an oven chip on 21:05 - Aug 3 with 2755 viewsthe_toff

Has an oven chip on 21:00 - Aug 3 by Churchman

Top shelf, 220 degrees, make sure the oven is hot and ready to rock, 35 minutes, job done.

Crinkle cut are the best - though of course one has to accept that they’re no competition for home made or proper chip shop.

They’re definitely a very poor substitute for just about any other chip. I went for 30 minutes and they had a bit of crisp to them. Plenty of salt. After 18 minutes they were anemic.
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:27 - Aug 3 with 2703 viewsKeno

Oven chips are an invention of the devil!!

Along with raisins, dark chocolate, quiche, French people, Norwich and that fluff that collects in your belly button
[Post edited 3 Aug 2023 21:44]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Has an oven chip on 21:30 - Aug 3 with 2693 viewsGlasgowBlue

Has an oven chip on 20:52 - Aug 3 by the_toff

Hmm maybe I need to get myself an air fryer. I’ve resisted this far but I do like the sound of them.

Also, iced buns have to be the worst ‘sweet’ ever. Basically a sugary hot dog roll with icing sugar on top. Rank.

I used to eat the icing off the top and leave the roll.

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Has an oven chip on 21:32 - Aug 3 with 2686 viewsFtnfwest

From when the ovens warmed up it’s 18 minutes….sigh
Has an oven chip on 21:39 - Aug 3 with 2651 viewsLord_Lucan

Has an oven chip on 20:52 - Aug 3 by the_toff

Not much impresses me but they are brilliant.

I went for the double draw Ninja and I can't recommend them highly enough, they cook quicker, they are easy to use and food tastes better for some reason. You can perfectly cook an XL chicken in 50 mins. Plus, you can sync the two draws so you load the feckers up, sync the draws and when it dings everything is ready at the same time.

Since buying it a few months ago I have hardly ever used my oven and my gas bill was only £35 last month. I know we haven't got the heating on now but it's usually about £200 I think.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:52 - Aug 3 with 2595 viewsNthQldITFC

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:27 - Aug 3 by Keno

Along with raisins, dark chocolate, quiche, French people, Norwich and that fluff that collects in your belly button

How the hell do you know about the fluff in my belly button?

(I feel I've typed that before, somewhere. Weird.)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Has an oven chip on 21:54 - Aug 3 with 2591 viewshoppy

To be honest, 18 minutes there isn’t likely to do anything. I’ve never heard of anyone trying to cook with that method.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Has an oven chip on 22:12 - Aug 3 with 2550 viewsmarvellous

McCain's Home Fries are actually decent. Just make sure that you do actually turn them!
Has an oven chip on 22:43 - Aug 3 with 2502 viewswkj

Where most people go wrong with oven chips is they don't spread them enough and/or don't turn them midway through.

This is less of an issue with an air fryer (I always advocate for the Ninja Foodie). Spritz of oil on the chips, Don't over load it, give the basket a few rattles at about 2/3rds the way through - you've got decent home chips every time.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has an oven chip on 23:21 - Aug 3 with 2440 viewsmrfixit426

Has an oven chip on 21:39 - Aug 3 by Lord_Lucan

I went for the double draw Ninja and I can't recommend them highly enough, they cook quicker, they are easy to use and food tastes better for some reason. You can perfectly cook an XL chicken in 50 mins. Plus, you can sync the two draws so you load the feckers up, sync the draws and when it dings everything is ready at the same time.

Since buying it a few months ago I have hardly ever used my oven and my gas bill was only £35 last month. I know we haven't got the heating on now but it's usually about £200 I think.

Was looking at getting one for a while. The wife wasn't convinced so I went ahead and bought it myself. I use it at least four or five times a week. It's particularly useful for doing the kids' meals after school as I'm working from home now.

Oven chips are great - a bit of oil and a sprinkle of salt, shake them up a few times and they come out perfect after about 18 mins! I've even branched out and made cajun fries and other variants. It's the best piece of kit I've bought for many years.
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:45 - Aug 3 with 2368 viewsChurchman

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:27 - Aug 3 by Keno

Sometimes the oven chip is useful. Tbh, I have to cook for my dad every couple of weeks for a couple of days and have no culinary skills whatsoever or any interest. So the glory that is McCains is sometimes deployed. As has been pointed out, spacing and turning is important if you don’t want them welded to the tray.

Needs must n all that jazz. At home, Mrs C always makes them, along with just about everything else, being an excellent cook.

Raisins: like them. I give you quiche, dark chocolate, the French etc: ghastly.

Latest cheese like: Shropshire blue. An upgrade on stilton?
Has an oven chip on 23:45 - Aug 3 with 2368 viewsslump

Got to love a first world problems thread

UTT

Has an oven chip on 00:08 - Aug 4 with 2348 viewsLord_Lucan

Has an oven chip on 23:21 - Aug 3 by mrfixit426

Was looking at getting one for a while. The wife wasn't convinced so I went ahead and bought it myself. I use it at least four or five times a week. It's particularly useful for doing the kids' meals after school as I'm working from home now.

Oven chips are great - a bit of oil and a sprinkle of salt, shake them up a few times and they come out perfect after about 18 mins! I've even branched out and made cajun fries and other variants. It's the best piece of kit I've bought for many years.

I concur, they really are the nuts.

One thing continues to confuse me though, re oven chips.

Why don't you just cut a potato into chip sized sections and cook them. Apart from being more tasty it is cheaper and quicker.

Has an oven chip on 03:53 - Aug 4 with 2283 viewsFixed_It

If you cook a single oven chip as per your thread title I suspect it will be more than ready in 18 mins...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Has an oven chip on 07:32 - Aug 4 with 2193 viewsGlasgowBlue

Has an oven chip on 21:39 - Aug 3 by Lord_Lucan

I was sceptical but the Mrs bought one and I use it all the time. Great invention.

Iron Lion Zion

Has an oven chip on 07:39 - Aug 4 with 2128 viewsSwansea_Blue

Another air fryer convertee here. They’ve revolutionised weekend fry up brunches; so much quicker and less faff. We’re using it constantly instead of the oven. Easy to clean up too. In hindsight I’d have gone for a double decker but it’s only a minor thing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Has an oven chip on 08:36 - Aug 4 with 2066 viewsmrfixit426

Has an oven chip on 00:08 - Aug 4 by Lord_Lucan

I concur, they really are the nuts.

One thing continues to confuse me though, re oven chips.

Why don't you just cut a potato into chip sized sections and cook them. Apart from being more tasty it is cheaper and quicker.

Time innit. Working full time and sorting the kids out at dinner, I need to streamline the process as much as I can. Hmmm, that makes it sounds like they have chips every day. Once a week or fortnight before I get reported to social services........
Has an oven chip on 09:12 - Aug 4 with 2015 viewsLord_Lucan

Has an oven chip on 08:36 - Aug 4 by mrfixit426

Time innit. Working full time and sorting the kids out at dinner, I need to streamline the process as much as I can. Hmmm, that makes it sounds like they have chips every day. Once a week or fortnight before I get reported to social services........

I get what you are saying but it doesn't add up.

Frozen chips take longer to cook than freshly cut chips, it is quicker to make real ones.

Has an oven chip on 09:22 - Aug 4 with 1977 viewswkj

Fresh Vs Frozen has been brought up, and let me tell you something that has mad the chip game a doddle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Impeccable-Culinary-Objects-ICO-ICO018/dp/B016UTU8OW/re

This gadget is a game changer with an air fryer
- Clean spud
- Chip em with the skins on
- Plop my uncooked chips in water for a couple of hours (no more thn about 12)
- Give em a toss in oil with salt, pepper
- Air Fry

Beats any frozen chip by a country mile and there isn't much faff if you do a basic bit of prep
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 9:23]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Has an oven chip on 09:37 - Aug 4 with 1942 viewsLord_Lucan

Has an oven chip on 09:22 - Aug 4 by wkj

Fresh Vs Frozen has been brought up, and let me tell you something that has mad the chip game a doddle

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Impeccable-Culinary-Objects-ICO-ICO018/dp/B016UTU8OW/re

This gadget is a game changer with an air fryer
- Clean spud
- Chip em with the skins on
- Plop my uncooked chips in water for a couple of hours (no more thn about 12)
- Give em a toss in oil with salt, pepper
- Air Fry

Beats any frozen chip by a country mile and there isn't much faff if you do a basic bit of prep
[Post edited 4 Aug 2023 9:23]

To me that is an invention that didn't need inventing as long as you have a knife, by the time you have got the bloody thing out of the cupboard you could have chopped your potato.

I mean, what is wrong with you people?

I'm also not keen on skin on chips.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024