Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When did people stop saying 'colour' 09:31 - Aug 18 with 5135 viewsthe_toff

And default to 'colourway'? Hear it everywhere now, what's wrong with saying 'colour'?

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 12:17 - Aug 18 with 1401 viewsJimmyJazz

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:56 - Aug 18 by ArnoldMoorhen

On sale, get in quick!

https://poshmark.com/listing/Red-sweater-with-white-collar-cuff-5fbebb3cefd0e418

Not so appealing visually. A jumper with a fake shirt trim, no thanks

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 12:22 - Aug 18 with 1386 viewsgiant_stow

My working world is full of w@nk like that. 'Logo device' is a favourite or any crumby simple Web site is a 'Web app' all of a sudden. People don't find their way through site any more- they have a 'user journey'.

Perhaps I'm just old and jaded.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 12:29 - Aug 18 with 1364 viewsArnoldMoorhen

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 12:17 - Aug 18 by JimmyJazz

Not so appealing visually. A jumper with a fake shirt trim, no thanks

Don't blame me, I just come up with the colourways. The Head Office has control over designs and patterns.

And they are a right bunch of knobs.
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 12:31 - Aug 18 with 1348 viewsDeano69

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 09:40 - Aug 18 by Daninthecampo

Never ever heard of the word colourway! Clearly its not reached Spain!

Nor Kesgrave

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:18 - Aug 18 with 1325 viewsthorpedo

And when did people stop say 'Price' and use 'Price point' instead?

Thorpedo

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:45 - Aug 18 with 1311 viewswkj

So have we established now that people are not saying 'colourway' rather than 'colour'?

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 14:25 - Aug 18 with 1306 viewsjaykay

dont get me started on the use of intersection its junction in traffic news

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 14:34 - Aug 18 with 1303 viewsnorfsufblue

Stop the world I think I finally want to get off!!!
Login to get fewer ads

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 08:28 - Aug 19 with 1243 viewsDJR

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:26 - Aug 18 by GeoffSentence

same as pattern then.

Indeed, but if there is thought to be a need to mention colour why not use the plain English "colour combinations".

"Our sweater comes in a range of colour combinations."

As it is, it's not just plain English but also used commercially.

https://www.adobe.com/express/learn/blog/101-brilliant-color-combinations
[Post edited 19 Aug 2023 8:43]
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 09:55 - Aug 24 with 1122 viewsnorth_stand77

People 'Reach Out' nowadays instead of 'Contacting' each other. So sickly.
Makes me think of people running round like headless chickens with their arms outstretched playing tag.
Weird i know, but it gives me the shivers!
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:36 - Aug 24 with 1092 viewsTractor_Buck

If we're going to have a general moan about odd uses of words, can I offer up "shop". I go shopping to a shop, but according to advertising bods, I no longer browse, it's my opportunity to "shop" their range.

And as for the use of "try and" rather than "try to"......
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:58 - Aug 24 with 1084 viewsRyorry

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:36 - Aug 24 by Tractor_Buck

If we're going to have a general moan about odd uses of words, can I offer up "shop". I go shopping to a shop, but according to advertising bods, I no longer browse, it's my opportunity to "shop" their range.

OK, if this is now open for a free for all moan on language use, I give you my perennial one “amount” of people instead of *number* of people. We are not sugar, topsoil or other loose stuff that gets measured in amounts!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:07 - Aug 24 with 1054 viewsWeWereZombies

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:58 - Aug 24 by Ryorry

OK, if this is now open for a free for all moan on language use, I give you my perennial one “amount” of people instead of *number* of people. We are not sugar, topsoil or other loose stuff that gets measured in amounts!

Whatever you say, sugar...

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:28 - Aug 24 with 1028 viewsDJR

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 11:36 - Aug 24 by Tractor_Buck

Also "would of"/could of" etc.
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 14:37 - Aug 24 with 1005 viewsRyorry

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:07 - Aug 24 by WeWereZombies

Whatever you say, sugar...

Thanks plum ...

[Post edited 24 Aug 2023 14:38]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:42 - Sep 12 with 854 viewsthe_toff

Exhibit 5438653896 from IKEA. Make it stop.

40 seconds in

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 14:29 - Sep 12 with 829 viewsDJR

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:42 - Sep 12 by the_toff

40 seconds in

Agreed.
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 15:35 - Sep 12 with 801 viewsRadioOrwell

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:45 - Aug 18 by wkj

So have we established now that people are not saying 'colourway' rather than 'colour'?

In fact all fashion people use it.

Wife ( in fashion ) has used it for years. It describes a group or collection of colours.
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 15:39 - Sep 12 with 801 viewsWeWereZombies

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 13:42 - Sep 12 by the_toff

40 seconds in

Interesting, saves money with energy saving lights but throws away his sofa every year (I bought a ninety quid sofa bed once, true that it became useless as a sofa after a year but by that time you didn't really need to fold it out much to make a bed because you were practically on the floor when you sat on it.)

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

As noted below…. on 19:39 - Sep 12 with 757 viewsNutkins_Return

As noted below…. on 11:13 - Aug 18 by Ryorry

Nothing wrong with simply saying 'colours'' there, but guess that's much too simple, obvious & untrendy for them.

I don't know if you're joking? Colourway and colours doesn't mean the same thing ffs. ArnoldM above explains it very clearly. It's got nothing to do with being trendy really it's just doing what most words do and meaning something.

I like how this thread is people getting irate about a word that is doing a perfectly functional job here.
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 19:45 - Sep 12 with 753 viewsSwansea_Blue

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 14:25 - Aug 18 by jaykay

dont get me started on the use of intersection its junction in traffic news

Quite right. It really annoys me too when they don’t talk about junctions on our freeways

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As noted below…. on 21:16 - Sep 12 with 743 viewsDJR

As noted below…. on 19:39 - Sep 12 by Nutkins_Return

I don't know if you're joking? Colourway and colours doesn't mean the same thing ffs. ArnoldM above explains it very clearly. It's got nothing to do with being trendy really it's just doing what most words do and meaning something.

I like how this thread is people getting irate about a word that is doing a perfectly functional job here.

It is certainly not plain English because it is not obvious to those not in the know {including me) what it means. As I suggested earlier on this thread, "colour combination" would be a much better term to use.

Inspired by memories of Morocco, the graphic patterns are available in three designs and five colour combinations.
Times, Sunday Times (2015)
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 21:19]
When did people stop saying 'colour' on 21:37 - Sep 12 with 729 viewsCheltenham_Blue

The one that is currently irrationally triggering me is, “uptick” instead of, “increase in”
Watching the news it seems to be in 30% of reports.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 21:45 - Sep 12 with 724 viewsSwansea_Blue

When did people stop saying 'colour' on 21:37 - Sep 12 by Cheltenham_Blue

The one that is currently irrationally triggering me is, “uptick” instead of, “increase in”
Watching the news it seems to be in 30% of reports.

There’s certainly been an uptick in its use lately

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As noted below…. on 21:51 - Sep 12 with 713 viewsNutkins_Return

As noted below…. on 21:16 - Sep 12 by DJR

It is certainly not plain English because it is not obvious to those not in the know {including me) what it means. As I suggested earlier on this thread, "colour combination" would be a much better term to use.

Inspired by memories of Morocco, the graphic patterns are available in three designs and five colour combinations.
Times, Sunday Times (2015)
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 21:19]

When has the English vernacular ever stood still and not evolved? I've no problem with it. It's come about because the use of 'colour combination collections' has become increasingly used in products and product marketing. It makes sense.

Otherwise it's like saying years back "when did everyone start saying football kits", what was wrong with saying "matching team garments for football". I'm being facetious bit you get the point.
[Post edited 12 Sep 2023 21:57]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024