Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted 21:15 - Sep 1 with 3226 viewsElderGrizzly

How is that not a decent window? Especially the keeping best players bit, given we are a new Championship club.

Most clubs in our league are having mini rebuilds or major ones and losing 14/15 players.

We are in a position i’m sure many would wish to be in and importantly we know we have the backing to go again in January.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:18 - Sep 1 with 2028 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

January is key. If we can still be in a good position at that point people like Rak Sakyi should come available.

However, I do think when we are in the position we are in, I would’ve liked to see the club be slightly more active on trying to upgrade certain positions. Football is a ruthless game and we don’t want to be saying what if at any point this season. Especially when injuries come along. I know not everyone agrees, but that’s where I am at.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:18 - Sep 1 with 2023 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I don't agree with the bedwetting twitter types/some on here and i'm perfectly ok with the business if we have been unable to get who we wanted - no point signing players for the sake of it.

There is also something to be said with continuity and not disrupting the squad too much.

However, it is fair to point out we may have improved the squad but have not improved the first XI since the end of last season* and thats ok too. All these guys deserve a fair crack.

* caveat... unless Taylor comes in and rips it up.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 21:19]
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:19 - Sep 1 with 2020 viewsDJR

As Talking Heads and some posters might have it, "Stop making sense".
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 21:20]
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:20 - Sep 1 with 1973 viewsNaylorsrightboot

We didn't sign who we wanted though did we?!
2 from last season who had been part of the team at the back end of last year and 4 kids, so nothing to improve the first team as Ashton and Kieran promised.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:22 - Sep 1 with 1951 viewsBloomBlue

Kept our best players and got our 6 primary targets, very decent window
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:23 - Sep 1 with 1957 viewsoldbeardy

Because the club has not been able to deliver against its plan to enhance the starting 11 with 2 or 3 new players and in doing so be equipped to mount a serious challenge for promotion. That's why the window has not been decent. That was the stated objective and arguably we haven't brought in anybody that improves the starting 11 from last season. There may be valid reasons why that wasn't possible but nevertheless not long ago MA was clear we were close to bringing in 2. So it's been disappointing. Doesn't mean we can't have a good season but we've failed to implement the plan
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:26 - Sep 1 with 1899 viewsBloomBlue

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:23 - Sep 1 by oldbeardy

Because the club has not been able to deliver against its plan to enhance the starting 11 with 2 or 3 new players and in doing so be equipped to mount a serious challenge for promotion. That's why the window has not been decent. That was the stated objective and arguably we haven't brought in anybody that improves the starting 11 from last season. There may be valid reasons why that wasn't possible but nevertheless not long ago MA was clear we were close to bringing in 2. So it's been disappointing. Doesn't mean we can't have a good season but we've failed to implement the plan

And we have brought in 2 since MA made that comment
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:26 - Sep 1 with 1908 viewsJDB23

Not sure there was ever a chance we lost players we didn’t want to go. I think only Davis currently fits the profile of a player who could be on the radar of clubs who are more attractive than us.

I don’t think it’s a bad window overall. When we got promoted I was happy at that time to have a solid year of consolidation and see how we adapted as a squad to the Championship. I think the problem has come from the club seemingly wanting much more than that which hasn’t been reflected in the business we’ve done.
Login to get fewer ads

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:27 - Sep 1 with 1904 viewsxrayspecs

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:20 - Sep 1 by Naylorsrightboot

2 from last season who had been part of the team at the back end of last year and 4 kids, so nothing to improve the first team as Ashton and Kieran promised.

You are missing Taylor

And the kids include a player Chelsea paid £5m for last summer and one of Spurs top prospects. The other kid is 23 on Sunday and has 50+ Premier League appearances.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:28 - Sep 1 with 1892 viewsBlueBoots

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:18 - Sep 1 by TRUE_BLUE123

January is key. If we can still be in a good position at that point people like Rak Sakyi should come available.

However, I do think when we are in the position we are in, I would’ve liked to see the club be slightly more active on trying to upgrade certain positions. Football is a ruthless game and we don’t want to be saying what if at any point this season. Especially when injuries come along. I know not everyone agrees, but that’s where I am at.

Injuries are a key point when it comes to January...I wonder whether Luongo would have been training with us last winter if not for the injuries to Camara, Ball and Evans. We may end up injury hit again in one position on the pitch.

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:29 - Sep 1 with 1876 viewsoldbeardy

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:26 - Sep 1 by BloomBlue

And we have brought in 2 since MA made that comment

not 2 that improve the best 11 though - that was what MA said we were doing and we haven't.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:30 - Sep 1 with 1866 viewsWicklowBlue

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:27 - Sep 1 by xrayspecs

You are missing Taylor

And the kids include a player Chelsea paid £5m for last summer and one of Spurs top prospects. The other kid is 23 on Sunday and has 50+ Premier League appearances.

Was just about to say Taylor... seems like he is flying under the radar as he hasn't played much yet. I have high hopes for him, time will tell...
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:30 - Sep 1 with 1863 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:20 - Sep 1 by Naylorsrightboot

Shall we whip them through the streets of Ipswich for this crime? (Not that I ever recall McK saying anything like that)

Do you ever post on this without sounding like a child who didn't get his most wanted present for Xmas?
Victims of our own success on 21:30 - Sep 1 with 1869 viewsScottCandage

I would think that finding a replacement for any of our starting 11 might be cost-prohibitive/bad business. So instead, we solidified the bench with Scarlett, JT, Omari, Williams, Slicker and maybe Tuanzebe, while keeping Baggott.

We won three matches, and some want us to overspend. That's what gets clubs into problems. This year should be all about consolidation in the Championship, and I think these signings have done that.

Always look on the bright side of life. (*whistles)
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 21:32]
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:34 - Sep 1 with 1830 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Quite.

Half this board seemed to expect us to attract middling premier league talent.
It’s all gone a bit bonkers.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:34 - Sep 1 with 1824 viewsBloomBlue

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:29 - Sep 1 by oldbeardy

not 2 that improve the best 11 though - that was what MA said we were doing and we haven't.

Why won't they improve the 11?

Who did you want to improve the 11?

Last home game talking to another fan who was talking about the same thing and when I asked who he would have got to improve the 11, he replied Simms. I then asked "so you would drop Hirst and play Simms?" He replied no. I just had to laugh at him.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:34 - Sep 1 with 1830 viewsGuthrum

Agreed. As I posted this morning (to the suggestion of a quiet deadline day):

When do we hear the dreaded words... by Guthrum 1 Sep 2023 8:36
If that is the case, won't be particularly unhappy.

I think we have a squad capable of giving it a decent go in the first half of the Championship season. We haven't lost any of our key players and have effectively turned a couple of our important temporary signings permanent, plus getting in some Prem youngsters on loan.

Sure, there are still identifiable gaps, altho even there we have young players who could potentially step up (Baggott, in particular). We can't expect to have a "second string" of identical quality to the first. No squad at this level operates like that in the real world.

Maybe not challenging for the top two at Christmas, but certainly in a decent position to respectably retain our status and perhaps have a good push in the second half.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:39 - Sep 1 with 1785 viewsolimar

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:18 - Sep 1 by burnbudgiesburn

I don't agree with the bedwetting twitter types/some on here and i'm perfectly ok with the business if we have been unable to get who we wanted - no point signing players for the sake of it.

There is also something to be said with continuity and not disrupting the squad too much.

However, it is fair to point out we may have improved the squad but have not improved the first XI since the end of last season* and thats ok too. All these guys deserve a fair crack.

* caveat... unless Taylor comes in and rips it up.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2023 21:19]

Agree with all of that, only thing I would add is that whilst I agree its fair to give those players a crack, we havent particularly shown sentiment in previous windows. Particularly in January, where Lee Evans, Donacien, Ladapo, Harness were all effectively replaced as starting players.
I had expected that we would likely add a couple of players who were going to come straight into the starting line up again. In the spirit of "what got us here wont get us there".
Our squad is undoubtedly stronger and there is a good chance that any of Taylor, Scarlett or Hutchinson might end up pushing their way into the starting eleven, but it isnt quite as much of a given as it seemed with Broadhead, Clarke, Hirst who were clearly a step up.
Should also take into account that signing Hirst was really good business, just that he was here last year already of course.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:39 - Sep 1 with 1778 viewsFrimleyBlue

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:34 - Sep 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

Quite.

What about championship players from championship clubs?

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:40 - Sep 1 with 1770 viewshomer_123

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:39 - Sep 1 by FrimleyBlue

What about championship players from championship clubs?

Here's the thing. What price is a good Championship player going to cost you? For that matter - what is an average one going to cost you and is a rival going to sell to you?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:41 - Sep 1 with 1762 viewsITFC_Forever

The best bit of business was KMc signing a new contract.

P 1125, W 501, D 288, L 336, F 1709, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:41 - Sep 1 with 1755 viewshomer_123

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:29 - Sep 1 by oldbeardy

Welcome to football, like life, sh*t happens and you don't always get what you want.

Best laid plans and all that.

I'm rather delighted we haven't just gone and signed anyone to appease fans.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:42 - Sep 1 with 1744 viewsJDB23

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:34 - Sep 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

Quite.

Not sure that’s true, just think people were taking Ashton for his word when he said we were looking to bring in 3/4 and would only be targeting players who improve the XI. That’s not happened, fair enough, no need for bed wetting, but don’t think you can blame people for wanting more when that expectation has come from the CEO.
Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:43 - Sep 1 with 1727 viewsFrimleyBlue

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:40 - Sep 1 by homer_123

Here's the thing. What price is a good Championship player going to cost you? For that matter - what is an average one going to cost you and is a rival going to sell to you?

I'm actually quite intrigued now of how many switches champ to champ they've been.

I've seen plenty players coming from abroad. Or obv prem loans. League 1 coming up.. but can't say I've seen many champ to champ.. it may be a high number but can't say I've noticed it much.

Waka waka eh eh

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:45 - Sep 1 with 1708 viewsFrimleyBlue

Kept our best players and signed the majority of what we wanted on 21:42 - Sep 1 by JDB23

Not sure that’s true, just think people were taking Ashton for his word when he said we were looking to bring in 3/4 and would only be targeting players who improve the XI. That’s not happened, fair enough, no need for bed wetting, but don’t think you can blame people for wanting more when that expectation has come from the CEO.

Let's be honest.

It'll be a good window if We remain competitive.

If we don't it'll be a bad window.

Right now we don't know.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024