Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? 10:30 - Sep 8 with 5625 viewsPique

Roy Wegerle
Imre Varadi
Mark Falco
Ian Ormondroyd
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 10:57 - Sep 8 with 3136 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Dalian Atkinson
Craig Forrest
Gazza

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:02 - Sep 8 with 3133 viewsMattinLondon

Matt Le Tissier (based on his then footballing ability rather than his opinions now).

The fact that he only win 8 England caps is simply astounding.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:05 - Sep 8 with 3125 viewsSwansea_Blue

Keith Dublin, Watford. Hilarious to watch. He’d go on lung busting dribbles for 60 yards beating half the opposition, then trip over his own feet or pass it straight out into touch.

You did say you wanted random!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:05 - Sep 8 with 3121 views_clive_baker_

Not random but favourie non Town player was definitely Alan Shearer. Absolute monster for club and country.

More random probably Phil Stamp. Didn't look remotely like a footballer.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:12 - Sep 8 with 3111 viewsMattinLondon

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:05 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

Not random but favourie non Town player was definitely Alan Shearer. Absolute monster for club and country.

More random probably Phil Stamp. Didn't look remotely like a footballer.

Due to his style Shearer doesn’t really get the credit for just how skilful he was.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:15 - Sep 8 with 3105 views_clive_baker_

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:12 - Sep 8 by MattinLondon

Due to his style Shearer doesn’t really get the credit for just how skilful he was.

He was unbelievable. There wasn't really a weakness to his game, had everything and more.

I respect him signing for Newcastle and obviously had an incredible career there, but also wonder what might've been if he went to United. His trophy cabinet would certainly have more to show for it.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:20 - Sep 8 with 3091 viewsSharkey

it's at the very end of the era you mention, but Zola. He just seemed to be such a nice guy.

I remember in one game when Chelsea were winning easily (it may even have been against Town) and some of the newly-arrived overseas players started to showboat a bit, and he ran around the pitch explaining to them that in the English game this is not really the way, and if you're winning 3-0 you try to make it 4-0, not take the piss by simply playing keep-ball.

Edt: I realise he's not very 'random' in the spirit of the O.P. Perhaps Alan Devonshire is better, but even then he was very obviously a class act. Cyrille Regis too.
[Post edited 8 Sep 2023 11:23]
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:21 - Sep 8 with 3084 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:15 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

He was unbelievable. There wasn't really a weakness to his game, had everything and more.

I respect him signing for Newcastle and obviously had an incredible career there, but also wonder what might've been if he went to United. His trophy cabinet would certainly have more to show for it.

The barsteward battered us when he was at Blackburn

I can only find the away game where he bagged a hatrick, but he scored a wonder goal at FPR in another battering we got in the home fixture. Serious quality.

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/975548

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:25 - Sep 8 with 3057 viewsMattinLondon

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:15 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

When he went to Blackburn from Southampton, Blackburn were the only team with a lot of money and at the time they were threatening to be the team of the 90s. And Man Utd weren’t the force then compared to what they would become. So I understand why he chose to move to Blackburn.

From memory I think that Jack walker refused to sell him to Man U. Hence why he went to Newcastle.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:25 - Sep 8 with 3056 views_clive_baker_

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:21 - Sep 8 by Swansea_Blue

I can only find the away game where he bagged a hatrick, but he scored a wonder goal at FPR in another battering we got in the home fixture. Serious quality.

Must've been around that time they beat us 3-1 at FPR? the season they went on to win the league. He scored (obviously), and I remember he absolutely bossed us.

Richard Wright had his number in that cup game at Ewood though! Didn't he say something like 'you'll never have a game like that again in your life' to Wrighty? Don't think he meant it disparagingly to be fair.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:27 - Sep 8 with 3053 views_clive_baker_

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:25 - Sep 8 by MattinLondon

When he went to Blackburn from Southampton, Blackburn were the only team with a lot of money and at the time they were threatening to be the team of the 90s. And Man Utd weren’t the force then compared to what they would become. So I understand why he chose to move to Blackburn.

From memory I think that Jack walker refused to sell him to Man U. Hence why he went to Newcastle.

Yes it was more the move from Blackburn I was referring to, I thought I remember reading once he had a choice to make between Newcastle and United, but perhaps you're right and it was never an option for him. Would've been a real head vs. heart one.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:28 - Sep 8 with 3049 viewsBlueNote

What's random about them? Aren't they just your favourite players from the 80's and 90's? Unless you put all the players from this period into an envelope, and pulled them out randomly?
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:34 - Sep 8 with 3029 viewsMookamoo

Gianluca Vialli

Dreamy.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:37 - Sep 8 with 3021 viewsWeWereZombies

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:21 - Sep 8 by Swansea_Blue

Similarly when we played Villa in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup, February 1996, they had a front three of Dwight Yorke, Savo Milosevic and Tommy Johnson who ripped us apart (we were lucky to get one and to keep them down to three) but they played with such visible enjoyment it was impossible to dislike them.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:45 - Sep 8 with 3012 viewsDubtractor

Peter Ndlovu
Peter Beagrie
Stig Inge Bjornabe
Tony Dorigo

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:52 - Sep 8 with 2996 viewsSwansea_Blue

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:25 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

Must've been around that time they beat us 3-1 at FPR? the season they went on to win the league. He scored (obviously), and I remember he absolutely bossed us.

Richard Wright had his number in that cup game at Ewood though! Didn't he say something like 'you'll never have a game like that again in your life' to Wrighty? Don't think he meant it disparagingly to be fair.

Yes, it was that season. He lashed one in from the edge of the box that day if I remember rightly, right into the top corner after a great take and turn. it was obvious there and then he was top class.

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:56 - Sep 8 with 2991 viewsSharkey

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:25 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

Hadn't he said something before the game that made the victory all the sweeter?
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:57 - Sep 8 with 2991 viewsWeWereZombies

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:28 - Sep 8 by BlueNote

What's random about them? Aren't they just your favourite players from the 80's and 90's? Unless you put all the players from this period into an envelope, and pulled them out randomly?

Would have to be a big envelope...unless you mean the player's names written on a bit of paper...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:05 - Sep 8 with 2994 viewsblueasfook

Little Junhinho who played for Boro. Great skillful little player who lit up the premiership for a couple of seasons

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:06 - Sep 8 with 2981 viewshomer_123

David Ginola and Klinnsman

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:09 - Sep 8 with 2983 views_clive_baker_

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:05 - Sep 8 by blueasfook

Little Junhinho who played for Boro. Great skillful little player who lit up the premiership for a couple of seasons

I loved that Middlesbrough team when they went a bit rogue and bought Juninho, Ravanelli and Emerson and played them alongside Robbie Mustoe and Steve Vickers.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:43 - Sep 8 with 2938 viewsPique

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 11:28 - Sep 8 by BlueNote

They're random in the sense that, despite none of them ever being greatly feted, they stick in my memory. Varadi, for example, played for 16 clubs, including Man City, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc, and even won the old First Division, but never stayed anywhere for more than a year or two.

It's just a bit of fun, feel free to explore other threads.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:45 - Sep 8 with 2932 viewsPique

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:09 - Sep 8 by _clive_baker_

I loved that Middlesbrough team when they went a bit rogue and bought Juninho, Ravanelli and Emerson and played them alongside Robbie Mustoe and Steve Vickers.

And Phil Stamp and Jamie Pollock.

It was like some strange postmodern footballing experiment.
Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:57 - Sep 8 with 2890 viewsgainsboroughblue

Not necessarily a favourite but I remember when Paul Warhurst, a centre half, was turned into a makeshift striker for Sheff Wed and couldn't stop scoring.

I used go be partial to an old fashioned winger. John Chiedozie, Tony Galvin, Nigel Callaghan weren't highly successful but thought they were talented and often stand outs for their sides.

In terms of cult hero status, look no further than George Berry (Wolves/Stoke). Always one I wanted when I opened a pack of panini stickers.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 13:02 - Sep 8 with 2884 viewsfarkenhell

Favourite random footballers from the 1980s/1990s? on 12:43 - Sep 8 by Pique

They're random in the sense that, despite none of them ever being greatly feted, they stick in my memory. Varadi, for example, played for 16 clubs, including Man City, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc, and even won the old First Division, but never stayed anywhere for more than a year or two.

It's just a bit of fun, feel free to explore other threads.

Little known fact (at least I think it's little known) but Imre Varadi was indirectly responsible for the inflatable craze that plagued domestic football for a bit in the late '80s. He was a bit of a cult hero at Man City and the crowd would sing his name. That gradually changed to "Imre Banana" (nope, I'm perplexed as well) and then fans started to bring inflatable bananas to games. That spread to different clubs and different inflatables. I don't know whether we saw inflatable horses at PR (I was at Uni at the time, so didn't see many Town games)?

As for random players, I quite liked Kevin Francis of Stockport County ("freeeeak"). I've no idea why! Also Micky Quinn.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024