Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So what does the town need then.. 20:33 - Sep 13 with 5162 viewsFrimleyBlue

New swimming pool

New theatre.....

New carpark....

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

So what does the town need then.. on 14:12 - Sep 14 with 1556 viewsFrimleyBlue

So what does the town need then.. on 13:16 - Sep 14 by Skip_Intro

is this part of your GCSE homework?

Haha

No i was just intrigued by Towns work with the council about what the town needs which could be part of the future ground redevelopment.

Waka waka eh eh

So what does the town need then.. on 15:40 - Sep 14 with 1508 viewsSharkey

So what does the town need then.. on 12:22 - Sep 14 by Lion

An established premiership football team and the regeneration will follow, come on the towan

I saw that at the beginning of the season Luton had a big club/supporter-organised 'litter-pick' to spruce up the town a bit in preparation for increased media interest in the place.

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2023/august/luton-council-community-clean-up/
A pokey blues bar with live music every night and good bbq grub (n/t) on 15:54 - Sep 14 with 1496 viewsDyland

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So what does the town need then.. on 15:58 - Sep 14 with 1484 viewsMattinLondon

So what does the town need then.. on 12:08 - Sep 14 by _clive_baker_

Think you perhaps misinterpreted. I'm saying there's too many retail units, the fact so many sit empty is evidence of that.

Oops sorry. Apologies.
So what does the town need then.. on 16:41 - Sep 14 with 1436 viewsChondzoresk

Ipswich Underground.
So what does the town need then.. on 17:04 - Sep 14 with 1428 viewssibrespace

Something like this maybe??

The Sporting Quarter plans in full are for a sports and convention centre that will be a permanent home for the Bristol Flyers basketball team, and also create a flexible venue for conferences, events, concerts and shows that could house more than 5,000 people standing, or between 2,000 and 3,000 sitting.

Around this will be a hotel, a block of 125 flats, office accommodation, stores, a gym, a club museum and a large multi-storey car park
So what does the town need then.. on 17:19 - Sep 14 with 1409 viewsChurchman

A Starbase on the old Cattle Market site for when we outgrow European and world football and start competing in the universe. Imagine the future - a pre match drink in the Star Wars bar.

You know it makes sense.

‘Skywalker at the back, Darth Vader in attack’
So what does the town need then.. on 19:01 - Sep 14 with 1364 viewsthatbdude

A mega FPR and a mega sign saying "welcome the TWTD central"

Also an ultramega bus station serving all 38 bus operators in suffolk

Poll: Who going down?

Login to get fewer ads

So what does the town need then.. on 19:13 - Sep 14 with 1351 viewsMattinLondon

So what does the town need then.. on 19:01 - Sep 14 by thatbdude

A mega FPR and a mega sign saying "welcome the TWTD central"

Also an ultramega bus station serving all 38 bus operators in suffolk

A but negative that you can only envision something ultramega. I think we should be aiming for superultramega - at the very least.
So what does the town need then.. on 19:43 - Sep 14 with 1335 viewsthatbdude

So what does the town need then.. on 19:13 - Sep 14 by MattinLondon

A but negative that you can only envision something ultramega. I think we should be aiming for superultramega - at the very least.

what about a superduperultragaintmega?

Poll: Who going down?

So what does the town need then.. on 20:31 - Sep 14 with 1317 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what does the town need then.. on 11:51 - Sep 14 by _clive_baker_

Ipswich already has the Regent and New Wolsey theatres. NW in particular is excellent, I don't see much need for another.

As for swimming pools there's the relatively newly refurbished Fore Street Baths which is popular, as well as Crown Pools which is a decent facility, albeit dated. I believe there were plans to construct a new leisure facility & pool in the town, which would probably be a welcome addition.

The primary issues in the town centre is one facing many towns which is empty commercial and office units resulting from dwindling demand for bricks and mortar retail space and physical offices. Given the housing shortage it certainly feels like a good opportunity to repurpose some of those to residential, which solves those issues as well as creating more footfall and increased customer base for the businesses that remain. There's a lot of nice bars, pubs, restaurants, coffee shops etc in the town that no doubt would benefit from more residents in the local vicinity.

I think Ipswich lacks a bit relative to other towns and cities, but also has quite a bit going for it compared to many that you either have or you don't, especially historically, architecturally, and with regards to the parks, public areas & waterfront. There's no reason why the town couldn't be a desirable destination, but it'll only thrive by becoming less retail driven and with more 'experiential' leisure provision. Bury is a good example of a town that continues to do this really well, leaning on its curb appeal and history to attract plenty of day and overnight trippers. There's probably more restaurants and coffee shops than retail units now, and addressing that balance has to be the way forward for Ipswich.

Housing is a no-brainer for me. It’d naturally reinvigorate town centres, as the business would naturally migrate to where the demand from residents was. A bit like the London high street model with lots of smaller shops catering to those living nearby.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nah... on 20:34 - Sep 14 with 1315 viewsDyland

So what does the town need then.. on 17:19 - Sep 14 by Churchman

A Starbase on the old Cattle Market site for when we outgrow European and world football and start competing in the universe. Imagine the future - a pre match drink in the Star Wars bar.

You know it makes sense.

‘Skywalker at the back, Darth Vader in attack’

"Yoda at the back, Han Solo in attack"

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

So what does the town need then.. on 20:36 - Sep 14 with 1311 viewsSwansea_Blue

So what does the town need then.. on 11:55 - Sep 14 by J2BLUE

Could have sworn I replied to this. Thankfully Clive has said pretty much exactly what I said so I don't need to type it out again.

The short answer is Regent+Wolsey and Fore Street + Crown Pools seem like enough. Getting Broomhill open as well seems like such an open goal and would make the swimming pool options feel complete.

Cheers, makes sense. I agree Broomhill would be an excellent re-addition. Lidos are trendy again now as well, so you’d think there would be enough demand.

I’d like to see Ipswich get a 50m pool, but I suspect that’s be a white elephant. Norwich has one, but not to Olympic standard. But I bet the club swimming scene is too small to justify 2 in East Anglia.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nah... on 23:40 - Sep 14 with 1262 viewsChurchman

Nah... on 20:34 - Sep 14 by Dyland

"Yoda at the back, Han Solo in attack"

Surely Chewbacca at the back, Hans Solo in attack? Let’s face it, a Wookiee at Centre Half is going to give you an edge.
So what does the town need then.. on 08:33 - Sep 15 with 1154 viewsibbleobble

…controlled demolition.
So what does the town need then.. on 09:02 - Sep 15 with 1137 viewssoupytwist

More events and computer science roles according to the lad in this article - https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2023/sep/15/young-people-in-england-feel-

Back in the day he'd have been able to get a job with BT at Martlesham of course.
So what does the town need then.. on 09:42 - Sep 15 with 1108 viewsTangledupin_Blue

So what does the town need then.. on 19:43 - Sep 14 by thatbdude

what about a superduperultragaintmega?

That's not how superduperultragiantmega is spelt.

Edit: Oh the irony. On this post I made a mistake spelling 'spelt'.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 9:45]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

So what does the town need then.. on 09:55 - Sep 15 with 1098 viewsFrimleyBlue

So what does the town need then.. on 09:42 - Sep 15 by Tangledupin_Blue

That's not how superduperultragiantmega is spelt.

Edit: Oh the irony. On this post I made a mistake spelling 'spelt'.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2023 9:45]

Wrong of you to edit it then lol.

Waka waka eh eh

So what does the town need then.. on 11:11 - Sep 15 with 1069 viewsHankScorpio

I expect nothing from you, except to die and be a very cheap funeral.

So what does the town need then.. on 11:12 - Sep 15 with 1065 viewsEwan_Oozami

So what does the town need then.. on 06:55 - Sep 14 by SheffordBlue

That would totally shaft my match day parking though!

You park in an empty swimming pool??

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

So what does the town need then.. on 11:44 - Sep 15 with 1028 viewsKievthegreat

Right I've got like 1000 hours of cities skyline, so I'm pretty much an expert on these things.

1 - Redevelop a big chunk of the town centre into new housing. The town needs less shops (hence all the empty units and units filled with low value shops)
2- Add experience destinations into the town centre. Ice rinks, New swimming pool, leisure complex, multipurpose arena (these can be combined in combinations such as a leisure complex with a rink and swimming pool, or a Multi-purpose arena with a rink built in).
3- Public transport links. If you are building new homes in the town centre, you need efficient public transport because you're not going to be able to handle a huge volume of extra cars. I'm quite a big fan of how Nottingham did their trams where they are dual purpose as park and rides. They typically run from 1 park and ride on 1 side of town to another park and ride on the complete opposite. So for Ipswich you'd link up London Road and Martlesham Park and Ride, hitting key points like Portman Road, Train Station (transport hub at the maltings?), High street and hospital.
4- 65,000 All seater Portman Road that will play host to the champions league final. Preferably in the year we win it.
So what does the town need then.. on 17:22 - Sep 15 with 872 viewsSheffordBlue

So what does the town need then.. on 11:12 - Sep 15 by Ewan_Oozami

You park in an empty swimming pool??

The parking outside it on Sherrington Road. 15 minute walk to the ground and a decent leg stretch before and after the match with a 2 hour drive

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024