Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting article on McKenna 01:12 - Oct 8 with 4704 viewsnorth_stand77

The Mirror Sports page is running a piece on Kieran and his contract. With us.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2023 1:13]
Interesting article on McKenna on 01:41 - Oct 8 with 4563 viewskiwiblue

Yes well written article maybe gives us three to four years even if he does well for us as his teams develop.
Really like his intelligence and approach to building his squad and the buy in style with unproven players so not sure how it would work in a new club with a big squad of international individuals.
Maybe depends on the next level of owners who come in when the Americans cash their investment.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ipswich-kieran-mckenna-man-united-3
Interesting article on McKenna on 01:54 - Oct 8 with 4542 viewsSitfcB

£4million release clause apparently. Should be 10 x that.

He’s on £25k a week apparently.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24325370/man-utd-coach-release-clause-kieran-mcke

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Interesting article on McKenna on 06:57 - Oct 8 with 4200 viewssuffolkpoker

Interesting article on McKenna on 01:54 - Oct 8 by SitfcB

£4million release clause apparently. Should be 10 x that.

He’s on £25k a week apparently.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/24325370/man-utd-coach-release-clause-kieran-mcke

I’ve always found that weird in football. Managers have such a low buyout claus when they are so important vs a player.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Interesting article on McKenna on 07:10 - Oct 8 with 4136 viewsKieran_Knows

Interesting article on McKenna on 06:57 - Oct 8 by suffolkpoker

I’ve always found that weird in football. Managers have such a low buyout claus when they are so important vs a player.

The fact Tottenham wouldn’t spend £10m (I think it was that figure) for the Feyenoord manager this summer just gone, but then happy to spend £60m on Richarlison, is just baffling.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Interesting article on McKenna on 07:36 - Oct 8 with 3972 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Interesting article on McKenna on 07:10 - Oct 8 by Kieran_Knows

The fact Tottenham wouldn’t spend £10m (I think it was that figure) for the Feyenoord manager this summer just gone, but then happy to spend £60m on Richarlison, is just baffling.

Players that don’t work out can be sold with money coming back though, whereas managers will be sacked, with clubs typically having to settle their contracts. Obviously there are exceptions, plenty of cases where clubs are stuck with expensive players winding down contracts etc, but not hard to see why clubs baulk at paying large sums for managers. Hasn’t worked out too badly for Spurs either

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Interesting article on McKenna on 08:29 - Oct 8 with 3723 views66notout

Interesting journalism. The Mirror reporting what The Sun are reporting. Strange times.
Interesting article on McKenna on 08:39 - Oct 8 with 3649 viewspennblue

Interesting article on McKenna on 08:29 - Oct 8 by 66notout

Interesting journalism. The Mirror reporting what The Sun are reporting. Strange times.

There is no doubt that losing McKenna is a huge risk. There will be a lot of interest in him if not already and the question comes down to what he will do. Other clubs like Brighton and Brentford have done succession management well so hopefully we will as well.

If you look at Sir Alex and Jose as examples, both of them got success with smaller clubs first Aberdeen and Porto before going onto take the top top jobs so hopefully McKenna will do the same.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Interesting article on McKenna on 09:08 - Oct 8 with 3454 viewsHighgateBlue

Interesting article on McKenna on 08:39 - Oct 8 by pennblue

There is no doubt that losing McKenna is a huge risk. There will be a lot of interest in him if not already and the question comes down to what he will do. Other clubs like Brighton and Brentford have done succession management well so hopefully we will as well.

If you look at Sir Alex and Jose as examples, both of them got success with smaller clubs first Aberdeen and Porto before going onto take the top top jobs so hopefully McKenna will do the same.

I'd be happy for Kieran to do the same, given that Mourinho won the Champions League with said smaller club before getting his big move!
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting article on McKenna on 09:35 - Oct 8 with 3288 viewspennblue

Interesting article on McKenna on 09:08 - Oct 8 by HighgateBlue

I'd be happy for Kieran to do the same, given that Mourinho won the Champions League with said smaller club before getting his big move!

Well exactly and we are tracking man city on stats right now so ………

Momentum is interesting, extremely powerful and difficult to measure, but we have definitely got it

Interesting article on McKenna on 10:06 - Oct 8 with 3142 viewsOldFart71

I personally cannot see McKenna going anywhere anytime soon. He hasn't as yet got the full potential out of Town. How many teams are bigger than ITFC. Lots of those in the Championship and Premier League are no bigger and several even smaller. Kieran although having achieved Championship status in a relatively short time has after all had the backing of Gamechanger, a very good CEO and virtually anything he has asked for he has got. How many clubs can you say back their manager to that extent. It is in my opinion given his trajectory that McKenna can be manager of a Chelsea, Man Utd, Tottenham in the future, but despite the success he has already had he hasn't achieved what Sir Bobby or Sir Alf achieved, but then times are different now and to win a Premier League, F.A. Cup or a EUFA Cup whilst not totally impossible is I would say harder now than in past times. Keep building Town, get them to the Premier League and get them established in that League and then see where it goes.
I think a key point is the prima donna and international players on 10:13 - Oct 8 with 3090 viewsunstableblue

Interesting article on McKenna on 01:41 - Oct 8 by kiwiblue

Yes well written article maybe gives us three to four years even if he does well for us as his teams develop.
Really like his intelligence and approach to building his squad and the buy in style with unproven players so not sure how it would work in a new club with a big squad of international individuals.
Maybe depends on the next level of owners who come in when the Americans cash their investment.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ipswich-kieran-mckenna-man-united-3

There’s a video doing the rounds, some months back, where he describes what attributes a player needs to come to Ipswich

And the emphasis on culture

The attributes sounded like Chaplin, Ball and Edmondson, NOT a £250k a week money and possession obsessed Man U super star

“Ipswich are the only club in Suffolk, you have to come here and become part of the community and work in the community” (sic)

Made me think that he’ll be in no hurry to go and work in the circus of one of the big 5

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I think a key point is the prima donna and international players on 10:18 - Oct 8 with 3038 viewsKeno

I think a key point is the prima donna and international players on 10:13 - Oct 8 by unstableblue

There’s a video doing the rounds, some months back, where he describes what attributes a player needs to come to Ipswich

And the emphasis on culture

The attributes sounded like Chaplin, Ball and Edmondson, NOT a £250k a week money and possession obsessed Man U super star

“Ipswich are the only club in Suffolk, you have to come here and become part of the community and work in the community” (sic)

Made me think that he’ll be in no hurry to go and work in the circus of one of the big 5

I do wonder how much different the rapport he has with the fans makes

There is obviously something very special building here (Chappers mentions it in his 100 game video he did referring to the end of the Barnsley game) and that may be hard to walk away from.

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Interesting article on McKenna on 10:31 - Oct 8 with 2984 viewsLord_Lucan

I think we have a couple of important things on our side - although I don't kid myself and realise anything could happen.

1/ He will attract most interest when we are doing well, and if we are doing well he is less likely to want to go. Ashton, the Yanks and McKenna are building something here and a mid table Prem club is arguably a step down. The likes of Brighton, Wolves, Brentford etc, why would he go to them?

2/ I think he realises he might struggle at a big club because the superstars might simply ignore him. I'm thinking Man C, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal.

The club I fear most are Everton - and maybe Spurs and Newcastle.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Interesting article on McKenna on 12:15 - Oct 8 with 2802 viewsRadioOrwell

Interesting article on McKenna on 10:31 - Oct 8 by Lord_Lucan

I think we have a couple of important things on our side - although I don't kid myself and realise anything could happen.

1/ He will attract most interest when we are doing well, and if we are doing well he is less likely to want to go. Ashton, the Yanks and McKenna are building something here and a mid table Prem club is arguably a step down. The likes of Brighton, Wolves, Brentford etc, why would he go to them?

2/ I think he realises he might struggle at a big club because the superstars might simply ignore him. I'm thinking Man C, Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal.

Thing is Everton and Spurs turns every manager into a failure at some point, it's just a question of how soon.
Would he want that on his CV ?
Brighton and Brentford should never be considered bigger clubs than us - No, I haven't been asleep for the last 15 years - it's just a thing I believe.
Wolves has a proper history so I'll give them a free pass.

I'll bet KMc knows exactly what he wants his next job to be.
Interesting article on McKenna on 13:54 - Oct 8 with 2577 viewsVegtablue

Good thoughts Lucan. In the event of an approach by a Brighton etc. I see him confronting three important questions: 1/ is he sufficiently invested in us to want to delay his own aspirations? 2/ is he certain of our short-term success? 3/ Is he certain similar-sized doors will open in the near future if his answer to 2/ is negative. Crazily, some of our rivals are still scoffing at this brilliant squad. Two-thirds were long established in the minds of many as being below top Championship standard.

The earliest we will be able to supply Kieran with players of Brighton's calibre is in four transfer windows, which relies on us being faultless this season and next summer. Some of these mid-table PL clubs have world-leading recruitment departments and training facilities; all contain international stars. If he develops £250m squads at the speed he's developed our £20m squad, a mid-table PL move would provide a quick path to his goal of CL football. Few had heard of De Zerbi last September but he is now allegedly top of the shortlist to replace Guardiola. If we regress from a team that is excelling to one that is only over-performing, however, one additional year in the Championship could easily become three or more. It's a notoriously hard league to escape from (upwards).

Hopefully there are enough managers with similar portfolios that no mid-table PL club entertains spending £4m. I wish we were talking £40m but we needed McKenna to be willing to sign! I left worry behind a few months ago though and McKenna puts it best himself:

"But in this job you can't plan too far around the corner, so I'm not going to look too far ahead." April 2023 on his future.

“But beyond that I don’t plan too far ahead. It is my responsibility as a manager to pour all my commitment and energy into helping the club. From there the football will take care of itself and it will take you where it takes you.” September 2023 on his future.

These are the days for fans to live in, not to be negatively affected by what may or may not lurk around the corner.
Interesting article on McKenna on 14:48 - Oct 8 with 2392 viewsTrequartista

Although the more we keep winning games, the more he is going to be wanted by other clubs, it also pushes us nearer to the Premier League, which if he accomplished that, would then automatically rule out perhaps half of the Premier League teams such as Palace, Wolves, Bournemouth etc taking him, due that their fact their potential for success would not be significantly better than ours.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Interesting article on McKenna on 15:59 - Oct 8 with 2224 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

To me the huge question is if we fall just short this year but still have an exceptional season. Say 3rd -5th place finish and a playoff loss, would we get another season of him at the helm? He’d have an awful lot of interest next summer.
Interesting article on McKenna on 16:04 - Oct 8 with 2185 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I think regardless of contract length or reported £4m compensation clauses the decision becomes entirely his and what he wants to do with his career.

Quite obviously, the quicker/higher we go the better chance we have of retaining him. My own opinion is at this stage of his career and considering his family are settled he won't leave us for a Palace, Brighton or Brentford. There are no 'projects' he can work with such job security at those clubs and don't forget he chose us for that reason initially.

I only see him leaving for a top 6 prem job and he only goes there having succeeded for us.
Interesting article on McKenna on 16:33 - Oct 8 with 2095 viewspennblue

Agreed that if he goes too early to a big club, he will struggle to get respect. He has plenty of years ahead of him (30+ years of management potentially!), there is no need for him to rush this.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024