Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? 04:57 - Nov 1 with 4474 viewsIPS_wich

I was listening to the KOA podcast this morning and it was mentioned that following the recent managerial sackings KMac is now the fourth longest serving manager in the Championship (and the second and third longest serving managers have only been in their roles a couple of weeks longer than him).

It got me thinking, that from our current position, with the huge backing of the fans and credits he has in the bank, what would it take for him to lose the fans and the backing of the Board?

Would we have the patience of the late-90s fans if he had us in and around the Top 6 of the Championship for the next five years without getting promoted? Or has he achieved so much in such a short space of time that it's inconceivable that he would lose your support?

I think for me, he has my absolute trust and it would probably take 2-3 consecutive bottom eight finishes in the Championship for me to lose faith in him - and for what it's worth I just don't see that happening.

I just hope that if we do get promoted and end up as a yo-yo club for a few years (which realistically is where we probably should be in the football pyramid) that he retains the backing of the fans.

Not intended as a negative post - he's almost unsackable in my eyes - but us fans can be a fickle lot.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 05:15 - Nov 1 with 3463 viewsMK1

If we finish 11th in League One.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 06:19 - Nov 1 with 3389 viewsPendejo

One game at a time.

As sensible a question as it is, I don't wish to contemplate it. Besides he's more likely to get poached...

As fickle as some our fans have been early on in calendar year 2023 it's 3 consecutive draws for some.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 06:49 - Nov 1 with 3309 viewsITFC_Forever

Draw a couple of games judging by last season’s idiots after the full-time whistle at Cambridge away last season.
Some absolute weapons were calling him every name under the sun on the way out of the ground.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 6:49]

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 07:47 - Nov 1 with 3183 viewsFixed_It

There were some on here actually trying to justify their criticism of him, after the Bristol Rovers game, just a couple of weeks ago. So although he has my total support - and I can't see that that would change until he eventually leaves - there are always one or two who would turn much quicker. Hopefully they would be a small minority though.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If we don’t beat norwich… on 07:50 - Nov 1 with 3168 viewsBloots

…then I’m putting my TalkingTown underpants on and getting the bedsheet and crayons out.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 07:52 - Nov 1 with 3160 viewsDubtractor

Deface the Sir Alf Statue with pro Norwich graffiti?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 07:54 - Nov 1 with 3157 viewsHerbivore

2-3 bottom 8 finishes? He finishes in the bottom 8 once here and Gamechanger will get rid. People forget how fickle and short termist football is these days, there were people calling for McKenna's head 8 months ago. If we went on a bad run over a sustained period it would happen again. If he is the manager we currently believe him to be (with good reason) we don't need to be worrying about bottom 8 finishes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:03 - Nov 1 with 3124 viewsSteve_M

To add to the other comments about the reaction to our away form in January and early February, it's worth remembering that Burley went from qualifying for Europe and being Manager of the Year to being sacked in 17 months and that included two Summers. Arguably he should have been sacked earlier.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:28 - Nov 1 with 3043 viewsredrickstuhaart

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:03 - Nov 1 by Steve_M

To add to the other comments about the reaction to our away form in January and early February, it's worth remembering that Burley went from qualifying for Europe and being Manager of the Year to being sacked in 17 months and that included two Summers. Arguably he should have been sacked earlier.

Arguably he should have been kept on to rebuild. Things might have been very different.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:53 - Nov 1 with 2961 viewsSteve_M

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:28 - Nov 1 by redrickstuhaart

Arguably he should have been kept on to rebuild. Things might have been very different.

Nah, he had lost it by that point and we had already fallen a long way back. I didn't want him sacked at the time but, in hindsight, it was right.

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:57 - Nov 1 with 2931 viewsnorfsufblue

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:28 - Nov 1 by redrickstuhaart

Absolutely, he was grieving the loss of his friend and right hand man at the time, should have been given time off to find himself again, Joe could still have come in and if successful been promoted upstairs if successful, hindsight I know but I never wanted GB sacked at the time .
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:04 - Nov 1 with 2867 viewsDubtractor

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:57 - Nov 1 by norfsufblue

Absolutely, he was grieving the loss of his friend and right hand man at the time, should have been given time off to find himself again, Joe could still have come in and if successful been promoted upstairs if successful, hindsight I know but I never wanted GB sacked at the time .

Dale Roberts died about 6 months after Burley was sacked.

Burley was amazing for us, but being objective he made a mess of our second premier league season, in terms of transfers and on the pitch, and we were clearly not in a good place on our return to the championship.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:06 - Nov 1 with 2858 viewsBlue_In_Boston

If you look at the way that attendances have shot up one third of the crowd are fair weather supporters. For years we averaged around 20K, if things were to go wrong (can't see it happening) and attendances take that massive downturn then our owners would be influenced.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:20 - Nov 1 with 2812 viewsTractorCam

Lose tonight

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:45 - Nov 1 with 2739 viewsElephantintheRoom

Draw 0-0 with Bristol Rovers?

You know full well that sulks and tantrums on here begin if the franchise ship a few goals while winning - so it won’t take many defeats for obsessives to call for his head. Two perhaps.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:49 - Nov 1 with 2728 viewsPavlovsCat

Two consecutive defeats would do it for some of our most fickle knuckleheads. 🤷🏻‍♂️
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 10:17 - Nov 1 with 2635 viewsnorfsufblue

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:04 - Nov 1 by Dubtractor

Dale Roberts died about 6 months after Burley was sacked.

Burley was amazing for us, but being objective he made a mess of our second premier league season, in terms of transfers and on the pitch, and we were clearly not in a good place on our return to the championship.

You are of course correct, I misremembered it but he had been ill from pretty much all of that season and that couldn't have been easy, I just thought he deserved a good crack at rebuilding.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 10:25 - Nov 1 with 2594 viewsjasondozzell

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 06:49 - Nov 1 by ITFC_Forever

Draw a couple of games judging by last season’s idiots after the full-time whistle at Cambridge away last season.
Some absolute weapons were calling him every name under the sun on the way out of the ground.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2023 6:49]

I remember walking out to the pub and posting on here about them. Load of fans giving Wes stick too. I even heard 'Morsy's finished'.

Was shocking at Ox away, Cam and Bristol Rovers.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 10:56 - Nov 1 with 2502 viewspositivity

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 08:53 - Nov 1 by Steve_M

Nah, he had lost it by that point and we had already fallen a long way back. I didn't want him sacked at the time but, in hindsight, it was right.

so to answer the original question; make a series of poor transfers which take the club to the brink of administration might see him sacked.

of course the blame wouldn't entirely lie with mckenna as someone else would ok the signings, but that would be the historical equivalent...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 11:10 - Nov 1 with 2466 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

The only reason we'd even consider sacking him would be a relegation to League One in the style of 2019. Assuming we hadn't had our dream start this time and we'd be relegated with a fight this season, I'd still give him a season in League One to get it right again, but thankfully not an issue!

Give the man 10 years and a contract that increases income based on years in Prem, Euro qualification, cup wins and so on. He's the man, we have to keep him at all costs. I don't mind playing 5 years in the Champ if the football is this good. I don't mind if we come up and down a few times to get it right.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 11:31 - Nov 1 with 2381 viewsRobTheMonk

We'd have to start going backwards at an alarming rate. He's got enough good will to ride out a storm as it stands.
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 11:54 - Nov 1 with 2338 viewsSteve_M

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 10:56 - Nov 1 by positivity

so to answer the original question; make a series of poor transfers which take the club to the brink of administration might see him sacked.

of course the blame wouldn't entirely lie with mckenna as someone else would ok the signings, but that would be the historical equivalent...

I think the structure is probably better set up to not be so reliant on the manager now, indeed it's set up so that when McK does go we can replace him without wholesale changes to the squad.

That said, the Summer of 2021 remains decidedly mixed in terms of the players we brought in.

The Summer of 2001, Spring 2005 and January 2015 remain such great 'what ifs' in recent ITFC history.

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 12:04 - Nov 1 with 2303 viewsBigCommon

From what we've seen of KM and the coaching staff, imo, any lack of reasonable progress would be down to a lack of investment in the squad..
He's intelligent enough to walk away , rather than be sacked. If the goal posts were drastically moved, on any "promises" made, on signing his new contract.
Fans are intelligent to enough to know, if this situation ever came up..
What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 12:11 - Nov 1 with 2269 viewsFrimleyBlue

Relegation for the fans to change imo.

BUT for the owners, maybe non promotion within 2 seasons... Afterall they are in it to get promoted to the prem and that's it..

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 12:13 - Nov 1 with 2268 viewsBondiBlue

What would McKenna need to do to lose the fans and get the sack? on 09:06 - Nov 1 by Blue_In_Boston

If you look at the way that attendances have shot up one third of the crowd are fair weather supporters. For years we averaged around 20K, if things were to go wrong (can't see it happening) and attendances take that massive downturn then our owners would be influenced.

Ha! Hadn't been thinking of it this way around but it's a good point.

Poll: Which would you accept?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024