Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The flat atmosphere 07:04 - Jan 15 with 6109 viewsBondiBlue

I remember in 2000-2001 (the 5th in the prem season) portman road being deafening for the first few months of the season. The wilnis goal against man u was probably the loudest i've ever heard it. But then it petered off a bit after christmas even though we were flying. Best way i can describe it was a weird feeling of anticlimax that the premier league weren't as good as we thought they'd be - we were beating everyone and it was almost disappointing.

Poll: Which would you accept?

The flat atmosphere on 07:28 - Jan 15 with 4377 viewslurcher

Acoustics, helped make it really loud. Whilst the new north amplifies the sound of the crowd, it spills out above the roofs of the side stands. When a new cobbold is built with a higher roof more of the sound will be contained.
The flat atmosphere on 07:54 - Jan 15 with 4245 viewsSteve_M

People are over-doing this thing about atmosphere at the moment, QPR was pretty crap all round but Saturday was fine and, in the second half, very supportive of the team.
[Post edited 15 Jan 8:55]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The flat atmosphere on 07:56 - Jan 15 with 4233 viewsWubbleU

The move to block A hasn't worked. Don't think Blue Action are anywhere near as continuous noise up there, long quiet, then a song, followed by long quiet. Get them behind a goal.
The flat atmosphere on 07:57 - Jan 15 with 4222 viewsSomethingBlue

The flat atmosphere on 07:54 - Jan 15 by Steve_M

People are over-doing this thing about atmosphere at the moment, QPR was pretty crap all round but Saturday was fine and, in the second half, very supportive of the team.

Yes, I felt it was very flat and anxious for half an hour but when Jackson scored it seemed to inject belief into everyone and it was fine after that. From my relatively limited experience it seems that the issue of cohering songs/chants across the entire lower tier has become (even) more pronounced this season but there were a lot of people trying to get things going.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The flat atmosphere on 07:58 - Jan 15 with 4210 viewsBluespeed225

The flat atmosphere on 07:28 - Jan 15 by lurcher

Acoustics, helped make it really loud. Whilst the new north amplifies the sound of the crowd, it spills out above the roofs of the side stands. When a new cobbold is built with a higher roof more of the sound will be contained.

Ironically, The Cobbold is probably the best stand for volume now! The concrete bunker like structure of the lower North is confining and deadens a lot of sound. We need corrugated iron roofing back!
The flat atmosphere on 08:09 - Jan 15 with 4109 viewsStevieH

The flat atmosphere on 07:56 - Jan 15 by WubbleU

The move to block A hasn't worked. Don't think Blue Action are anywhere near as continuous noise up there, long quiet, then a song, followed by long quiet. Get them behind a goal.

Clearly acoustics make all the difference. I was in Cobbold B. I heard almost nothing from the Sunderland fans all game, yet others have said they were pretty good.
Blue Action were relentless. They hardly stopped at all……..

As long as they can hear it out in the middle. Leif commented on the noise and how much the players enjoy playing at PR. I thought it was a great atmosphere
The flat atmosphere on 08:17 - Jan 15 with 4005 viewshomer_123

Yep, pretty much this.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

The flat atmosphere on 08:26 - Jan 15 with 3915 viewsMattinLondon

Almost disappointing to have finished fifth and to have won most of our games? Whoever felt like that would have loved the following season.
Login to get fewer ads

The flat atmosphere on 08:47 - Jan 15 with 3741 viewsChurchman

The atmosphere is fine, especially given the acoustics in the ground. Away support is usually noisy - it’s how it is. The main thing is that there was yet again over 29,000 in the ground and we are averaging 28,800 ish which is on track to be just about the highest it’s ever been.
The flat atmosphere on 08:49 - Jan 15 with 3741 viewsGeoffSentence

The flat atmosphere on 08:09 - Jan 15 by StevieH

Clearly acoustics make all the difference. I was in Cobbold B. I heard almost nothing from the Sunderland fans all game, yet others have said they were pretty good.
Blue Action were relentless. They hardly stopped at all……..

As long as they can hear it out in the middle. Leif commented on the noise and how much the players enjoy playing at PR. I thought it was a great atmosphere

I sit in SARL block 6, close the Sunderland fans. I thought they were middling in terms of volume and persistence, but low in imagination.

No visiting fans have been close to Coventry so far this season, they were on it all game, loud and varied.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The flat atmosphere on 08:55 - Jan 15 with 3701 viewsBlue_Order

The flat atmosphere on 07:56 - Jan 15 by WubbleU

It’s working for us. We were stuck in section 6 singing into thin air every week while everyone around us stood quiet and just moaned about our flags. We were fighting a losing battle and it was an absolute chore. We’d probably have disbanded by now had we not moved.

Now we’ve more than doubled in numbers and it’s much more enjoyable having 100+ singing for the whole game. A-blocks not yet perfect - most of the front half still doesn’t participate which is why the sound doesn’t travel. Us moving might not have improved the overall atmosphere in the ground, but that’s not our fault or problem - that lies at the door of the North Stand, 90% of whom unfortunately just don’t have the right mentality.

We sing all game every game, always have done and always will. There’s nothing else we can do. Folk can talk about acoustics all they want, but the fact is, Ipswich fans in the main just can’t be arsed to back their team. It’s incredibly easy for Section 6 (who obviously can hear us) to spread our songs across to S5 who should then carry them further, but for whatever reason they just don’t.

But us moving was a small step in a long term plan. We’ll keep getting stronger and will eventually move again elsewhere, depending on what happens with the Cobbold rebuild. Ideally they’ll turn it into a safe standing curve to link the Cobbold and NS, purpose built as an ultra section. Probably unlikely, but that would help massively and give the active support a proper home for years to come.
The flat atmosphere on 09:53 - Jan 15 with 3403 viewsGuthrum

I suspect this "flat atmosphere" is down to a number of factors.

We've had a string of somewhat flat results while first Leeds, now Southampton clamber up behind us. It's easy to be raucous when we're always winning and the underlying nervousness - even pessimism - of the 21st century Town fan comes out in a tense atmosphere.

Exciting football has lost some of its wonder and freshness. It's what we've come to expect. Fans will naturally begin to gripe about small errors at the back or fine margins in front of goal, rather than simply responding with awe to the fluidity of our moves. It's why ManCity and Liverpool fans are no happier than we.

Perhaps most significantly, it's the middle of winter, chilly and dark at about 4pm. Which does put a dampener on people's exuberance. Plus lots of games at odd times on different days, upsetting familiar routines of fan match preparation.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The flat atmosphere on 09:56 - Jan 15 with 3363 viewsmatteoblue

Cold, isn't it?

We are Premier League, say we are Premier League!

The flat atmosphere on 10:01 - Jan 15 with 3331 viewsGuthrum

The flat atmosphere on 08:55 - Jan 15 by Blue_Order

It’s working for us. We were stuck in section 6 singing into thin air every week while everyone around us stood quiet and just moaned about our flags. We were fighting a losing battle and it was an absolute chore. We’d probably have disbanded by now had we not moved.

Now we’ve more than doubled in numbers and it’s much more enjoyable having 100+ singing for the whole game. A-blocks not yet perfect - most of the front half still doesn’t participate which is why the sound doesn’t travel. Us moving might not have improved the overall atmosphere in the ground, but that’s not our fault or problem - that lies at the door of the North Stand, 90% of whom unfortunately just don’t have the right mentality.

We sing all game every game, always have done and always will. There’s nothing else we can do. Folk can talk about acoustics all they want, but the fact is, Ipswich fans in the main just can’t be arsed to back their team. It’s incredibly easy for Section 6 (who obviously can hear us) to spread our songs across to S5 who should then carry them further, but for whatever reason they just don’t.

But us moving was a small step in a long term plan. We’ll keep getting stronger and will eventually move again elsewhere, depending on what happens with the Cobbold rebuild. Ideally they’ll turn it into a safe standing curve to link the Cobbold and NS, purpose built as an ultra section. Probably unlikely, but that would help massively and give the active support a proper home for years to come.

Pretty much all the medium and larger grounds are like you describe in your second and third paragraphs. Generally silent apart from a usually small (and often fairly inaudible from the away section) group of the real enthusiasts. Comments by the players suggest we are better than the average for atmosphere as felt on the pitch. Which, as someone else has said, is the chief aim of fan singing, not to entertain their fellows sat in the stands.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The flat atmosphere on 10:14 - Jan 15 with 3253 viewsLeaky

We are in section 5, the problem seems, we hear 2 sections singing different songs I think we hear section 4 & A Block. We are stuck in the middle.
The flat atmosphere on 10:25 - Jan 15 with 3163 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

100% agree with this.

The majority of fans will join in with songs if those around them are singing, but not many will start a song or sing in isolation.

For this to happen, we need SBRL (all sections) to join in with A block and then hopefully the West Stand will join in.
The flat atmosphere on 10:30 - Jan 15 with 3121 viewsTractorCam

The flat atmosphere on 10:14 - Jan 15 by Leaky

We are in section 5, the problem seems, we hear 2 sections singing different songs I think we hear section 4 & A Block. We are stuck in the middle.

Same in section 6. We start our own songs here which spread in both directions. Most of the time songs come from elsewhere, but from the back of S6, it's easier to hear songs from the section 4 as opposed to BA as the drum is drowning it out on that side (although you can work out the song).

I think the BA move has been good as the Cobbold Stand is more involved and they do make good noise in there, but the best sound from our area comes from our own songs, or when only one of the sides is singing as it's easier to join in.

As for the "flat atmosphere" from the OP, whilst it's not great if you compare to an away day, thinking about the 10 or so grounds i've been too this season, not sure if any have had better home atmospheres?
[Post edited 15 Jan 10:31]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The flat atmosphere on 10:46 - Jan 15 with 3001 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

There isn't a "flat" atmosphere for me. As with a lot of things on this forum, I think you're exaggerating. I had a great night Saturday night, the atmosphere whether good or bad, hadn't occurred to me until I got on here when I got home and saw people moaning about it.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

N/t (n/t) on 10:54 - Jan 15 with 2934 viewsunstableblue

[Post edited 15 Jan 10:58]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

The flat atmosphere on 11:00 - Jan 15 with 2873 viewsunstableblue

The flat atmosphere on 10:46 - Jan 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

There isn't a "flat" atmosphere for me. As with a lot of things on this forum, I think you're exaggerating. I had a great night Saturday night, the atmosphere whether good or bad, hadn't occurred to me until I got on here when I got home and saw people moaning about it.

No one’s exaggerating

The majority of fans who were there know and state that the first half atmosphere wasn’t good enough given the season we’re having and the backing the boys needed.

It wasn’t good enough, period.

Second half the crowd greatly improved and I think made a difference to the outcome.

The atmosphere can be an issue at PR. And it shouldn’t be given where the club is.

The flat atmosphere on 11:54 - Jan 15 with 2657 viewslurcher

The flat atmosphere on 07:58 - Jan 15 by Bluespeed225

Ironically, The Cobbold is probably the best stand for volume now! The concrete bunker like structure of the lower North is confining and deadens a lot of sound. We need corrugated iron roofing back!

The North amplifies the sound, The roof shape is a natural amplifier much like a amphitheater, Sadly most of the sound is lost into the sky. The reason the old north sounded louder was because its roof was below the two side stands.
We can keep skirting round the issue - its the Lower North and the demographic on 12:00 - Jan 15 with 2637 viewsunstableblue

.. of people in there and their mentality.

They probably sang their hearts out in 1998, when we were all younger, and beered up. But's its 2023, and we've got a brilliant team and project to sing and shout about.

But they seem to want to just spectate and not participate. Obviously its ridiculous to say its everyone in the Lower North. As in other stands, there is % who want to sing and make some noise, but when surrounded by apathy, it doesn't carry.

I was in block A for one game with my nephew and we had a riot, continuous singing.

From where we are in the Pioneer middle, we can just hear Block A, but the key point you make is this:

"It’s incredibly easy for Section 6 (who obviously can hear us) to spread our songs across to S5 who should then carry them further, but for whatever reason they just don’t."

The Cobbold is many seasons away and so is not the solution.

The solution is for Section 6 to pick up some song cues from Block A and pass it onto sections 5 and 4. Which in turn gets the side stands going. Or for the North to just start more songs themselves.

Positively we all know we can do it..as happened on several occasions on Saturday. And was continuous against Norwich.

Anyway I'm even boring myself on this topic. But West Brom is a BIG game, we want some revenge, it will be tough, but despite the 12.30 kick-off, lets hope the crowd can be at their best for 90-mins.

The flat atmosphere on 12:02 - Jan 15 with 2627 viewsblueasfook

The flat atmosphere on 11:00 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

No one’s exaggerating

The majority of fans who were there know and state that the first half atmosphere wasn’t good enough given the season we’re having and the backing the boys needed.

It wasn’t good enough, period.

Second half the crowd greatly improved and I think made a difference to the outcome.

The atmosphere can be an issue at PR. And it shouldn’t be given where the club is.

Could we introduce mandatory singing I wonder? Perhaps arm the stewards with sticks to prod fans who aren't singing or not singing loudly enough.

Elite Poster. TWTD Hottest Poster (1999, 2000, 2001).
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

We can keep skirting round the issue - its the Lower North and the demographic on 12:11 - Jan 15 with 2543 viewsTractorCam

We can keep skirting round the issue - its the Lower North and the demographic on 12:00 - Jan 15 by unstableblue

.. of people in there and their mentality.

They probably sang their hearts out in 1998, when we were all younger, and beered up. But's its 2023, and we've got a brilliant team and project to sing and shout about.

But they seem to want to just spectate and not participate. Obviously its ridiculous to say its everyone in the Lower North. As in other stands, there is % who want to sing and make some noise, but when surrounded by apathy, it doesn't carry.

I was in block A for one game with my nephew and we had a riot, continuous singing.

From where we are in the Pioneer middle, we can just hear Block A, but the key point you make is this:

"It’s incredibly easy for Section 6 (who obviously can hear us) to spread our songs across to S5 who should then carry them further, but for whatever reason they just don’t."

The Cobbold is many seasons away and so is not the solution.

The solution is for Section 6 to pick up some song cues from Block A and pass it onto sections 5 and 4. Which in turn gets the side stands going. Or for the North to just start more songs themselves.

Positively we all know we can do it..as happened on several occasions on Saturday. And was continuous against Norwich.

Anyway I'm even boring myself on this topic. But West Brom is a BIG game, we want some revenge, it will be tough, but despite the 12.30 kick-off, lets hope the crowd can be at their best for 90-mins.

Do you sing or attempt to get your stand singing then?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The flat atmosphere on 12:20 - Jan 15 with 2464 viewsunbelievablue

The flat atmosphere on 10:01 - Jan 15 by Guthrum

Pretty much all the medium and larger grounds are like you describe in your second and third paragraphs. Generally silent apart from a usually small (and often fairly inaudible from the away section) group of the real enthusiasts. Comments by the players suggest we are better than the average for atmosphere as felt on the pitch. Which, as someone else has said, is the chief aim of fan singing, not to entertain their fellows sat in the stands.

I still remember vividly my time as a mascot (1999). The noise as I entered the pitch from the tunnel was stunningly loud - I was properly taken aback. I'd sat in the Cobbold and stood in the North that same season, but it was amazing how much it reverberated around the pitch when you are in the middle of it all.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024