Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Promotion a year too early? 22:30 - Jan 19 with 5847 viewsBuffaloBill

I wonder with the low key presence of the Gamechanger guys and the relative lack of transfer activity, that way may as part of the strategy be happy to not necessarily get promoted this year?

I realise that any club takes promotion if it's handed them but I keep wondering why GC have taken such a back seat this year?

Of course it's just an opinion...

Poll: Incentives to want to be promoted

Promotion a year too early? on 22:36 - Jan 19 with 4799 viewsDubtractor

They are low profile because they simply don't need to put themselves in the spotlight.

We're second in the league, the ground is full every week, we sell silly numbers of shirts, and the need for them to come up drum up some PR just isn't there.

I'm sure I've seen that some of them have been to a few games this season, but not made a big thing of it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Promotion a year too early? on 22:41 - Jan 19 with 4721 viewsNutkins_Return

Honestly speaking they are brilliant owners but they want to get to the premier league and the sooner the better. There is one reality that in a way saddens me because of how good they have been: they exist to make their pension fund money. We get to the premier league and I think the countdown to being sold probably start. Hope I'm wrong but their has to be an exit plan for the pension fund. Would love some of them to stay involved in some capacity and perhaps they keep a reasonable chunk.

I do think they will try to do their best by us as well though. Also the structure and the identity they are creating will attract good buyers too.
[Post edited 19 Jan 23:10]
Promotion a year too early? on 22:43 - Jan 19 with 4683 viewsSomethingBlue

Promotion a year too early? on 22:36 - Jan 19 by Dubtractor

They are low profile because they simply don't need to put themselves in the spotlight.

We're second in the league, the ground is full every week, we sell silly numbers of shirts, and the need for them to come up drum up some PR just isn't there.

I'm sure I've seen that some of them have been to a few games this season, but not made a big thing of it.

Exactly. People really do overthink sometimes. They were visible early on, said everything that needed to be said, did a lot to generate some momentum that now pretty much runs itself. No need or demand for public interventions. And if we do go up it’ll be Christmas come early for them, there is literally no downside.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Promotion a year too early? on 22:48 - Jan 19 with 4654 viewsPhilTWTD

There's been a conscious decision not to put them too much in the public eye. Think there was a feeling the Three Lions were given more prominence than their role really warranted when the takeover first took place, largely as those at the top of the pension fund weren't keen to do much media and so the Three Lions filled the gap.
Detmer was over at Christmas.... on 22:52 - Jan 19 with 4584 viewsBloots

...I had lunch on the table next to him in the Salthouse on Boxing Day.

Just saying.

Innit.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Promotion a year too early? on 23:13 - Jan 19 with 4406 viewsEireannach_gorm

Promotion a year too early? on 22:41 - Jan 19 by Nutkins_Return

Honestly speaking they are brilliant owners but they want to get to the premier league and the sooner the better. There is one reality that in a way saddens me because of how good they have been: they exist to make their pension fund money. We get to the premier league and I think the countdown to being sold probably start. Hope I'm wrong but their has to be an exit plan for the pension fund. Would love some of them to stay involved in some capacity and perhaps they keep a reasonable chunk.

I do think they will try to do their best by us as well though. Also the structure and the identity they are creating will attract good buyers too.

Their excellent management deserves reward. I am still gobsmacked that a pension fund would finance a football club. They have been very measured in their business with the club and I too believe they will not asset strip. they have turned around the club so I wish them the best outcome possible.
Promotion a year too early? on 23:24 - Jan 19 with 4334 viewsIllinoisblue

Promotion a year too early? on 23:13 - Jan 19 by Eireannach_gorm

Their excellent management deserves reward. I am still gobsmacked that a pension fund would finance a football club. They have been very measured in their business with the club and I too believe they will not asset strip. they have turned around the club so I wish them the best outcome possible.

It does seem crazy, but the fund has $18billion of assets under management so we are a very small piece of their portfolio.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Promotion a year too early? on 08:09 - Jan 20 with 3844 viewsle2blue

Pretty much one of the group has been at each of our league games this season. Sat behind Ed Schwartz at the Sunderland game. As others have said, they did their PR at the start, now let Ashton and team get on and do their thing. They’re going to make serious cash when we get up and fair play to them.
Login to get fewer ads

Detmer was over at Christmas.... on 08:15 - Jan 20 with 3806 viewstextbackup

Detmer was over at Christmas.... on 22:52 - Jan 19 by Bloots

...I had lunch on the table next to him in the Salthouse on Boxing Day.

Just saying.

Innit.

Matey with the funny tash was in issacs not many weeks back, and was speaking with my mate. Sounds as though the only thing that frustrates them is the lack of money they are allowed to spend. Offering what to Ashton and he’s the one telling them we can’t (ffp or whatever it is)
In typical American fashion they want to be the biggest the best etc etc

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Promotion a year too early? on 08:22 - Jan 20 with 3752 viewsMK1

Must admit that I would have liked a season or 2 in the Championship to get the squad really assembled for a Premier League return, but this is a great opportunity for us.
Think the owners will be absolutely delighted with our season so far and promotion will be at the forefront of their minds. (as it is with us now)
Promotion a year too early? on 08:35 - Jan 20 with 3662 viewsitfctilidie

I don't think it is as straight forward as this. If we get up the countdown wouldnt necessarily begin. They need the club to be established in the premier league really to make money. There is no good getting up, looking for a new owner as potentially we could be back in the championship a year later.

When gamechanger leave, they will have either failed, or we will be a Brentford/Brighton type club.
Promotion a year too early? on 08:37 - Jan 20 with 3642 viewsCoastalblue

I'm guessing there's a fair chance that Gamechanger stay with us and just look at alternative investments, they are probably already making contacts along those lines now.

I don't think that when the investment fund go the three lions will go with them, and they seem to have the right sort of morality to see that the next set of owners are also people we don't mind being associated with the Club.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Promotion a year too early? on 08:45 - Jan 20 with 3609 viewsTheBoyBlue

I think there's less urgency to get promoted this season than there was last, but I don't imagine that now in this position they wouldn't want to try and get it over the line if they could.

I think the lack of transfers is because of the lack of availability of the right player. It has been a slow transfer window generally, probably because more clubs are taking FFP a bit more seriously after the Everton and Forest charges.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Promotion a year too early? on 08:47 - Jan 20 with 3604 viewsnodge_blue

Promotion a year too early? on 22:48 - Jan 19 by PhilTWTD

There's been a conscious decision not to put them too much in the public eye. Think there was a feeling the Three Lions were given more prominence than their role really warranted when the takeover first took place, largely as those at the top of the pension fund weren't keen to do much media and so the Three Lions filled the gap.

I assume they didn’t put any of their own money in and it’s all the pension fund?

It’s interesting as to who really owns the club. I guess on paper it’s Gamchanger. But in reality they can’t do a thing without the pension fund sanctioning it.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Promotion a year too early? on 09:19 - Jan 20 with 3435 viewsDavoIPB

Promotion a year too early? on 08:37 - Jan 20 by Coastalblue

I'm guessing there's a fair chance that Gamechanger stay with us and just look at alternative investments, they are probably already making contacts along those lines now.

I don't think that when the investment fund go the three lions will go with them, and they seem to have the right sort of morality to see that the next set of owners are also people we don't mind being associated with the Club.

They have said 7-10yr strategy. Think a couple of seasons in premier and they sell. It's not about the fans or players it's about the money. It's a business.
Promotion a year too early? on 09:24 - Jan 20 with 3413 viewsbazza

Promotion a year too early? on 08:47 - Jan 20 by nodge_blue

I assume they didn’t put any of their own money in and it’s all the pension fund?

It’s interesting as to who really owns the club. I guess on paper it’s Gamchanger. But in reality they can’t do a thing without the pension fund sanctioning it.

I like the thought of a load of old pensioners in a retirement home in America somwhere cheering us on, there’s a movie plot in there somewhere surely. Ted lasso style.
Promotion a year too early? on 09:30 - Jan 20 with 3357 viewsPhilTWTD

Promotion a year too early? on 08:47 - Jan 20 by nodge_blue

I think they put in relatively low sums, drops in the ocean in the overall picture. Their role was to put the UK end of the takeover - Mark Ashton and Mike O'Leary - together with the pension fund. The pension fund is Gamechanger all bar a few per cent.
Promotion a year too early? on 09:35 - Jan 20 with 3319 viewsnodge_blue

Promotion a year too early? on 09:30 - Jan 20 by PhilTWTD

I think they put in relatively low sums, drops in the ocean in the overall picture. Their role was to put the UK end of the takeover - Mark Ashton and Mike O'Leary - together with the pension fund. The pension fund is Gamechanger all bar a few per cent.

Oh ok. I kinda had it in my head Gamechanger was a separate entity and they used pension fund money. i.e. the there lions as Gamechanger had approached the pension fund as equity.

But you make it sound more like the pension fund as Gamechanger is the driving force and they appointed the three lions to face it.

It would be interesting to know how the pension fund is performing. Hopefully it had a good 2023 and that puts less scrutiny on the more risky assets i.e. us.
[Post edited 20 Jan 9:43]

Promotion a year too early? on 09:48 - Jan 20 with 3224 viewsPhilTWTD

Promotion a year too early? on 09:35 - Jan 20 by nodge_blue

Oh ok. I kinda had it in my head Gamechanger was a separate entity and they used pension fund money. i.e. the there lions as Gamechanger had approached the pension fund as equity.

But you make it sound more like the pension fund as Gamechanger is the driving force and they appointed the three lions to face it.

It would be interesting to know how the pension fund is performing. Hopefully it had a good 2023 and that puts less scrutiny on the more risky assets i.e. us.
[Post edited 20 Jan 9:43]

This, while out of date, gives an idea of the scale of the pension fund's stake - under ORG's name - compared with the Three Lions. The Three Lions were the link between MA and MOL, who they got to know via USL links, and the pension fund. My understanding is they got some of their stake for that but I think they have put in a million or so themselves.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/YCEvf

This post has been edited by an administrator
Promotion a year too early? on 09:56 - Jan 20 with 3130 viewsnodge_blue

Promotion a year too early? on 09:48 - Jan 20 by PhilTWTD

This, while out of date, gives an idea of the scale of the pension fund's stake - under ORG's name - compared with the Three Lions. The Three Lions were the link between MA and MOL, who they got to know via USL links, and the pension fund. My understanding is they got some of their stake for that but I think they have put in a million or so themselves.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-live.ch.gov.uk/docs/YCEvf

This post has been edited by an administrator

That link doesn't seem to work...

Not that it matters, but do you think the pension fund were actively looking to invest in football?

I think that's a good sign if they were as it would show they weren't hesitant investors needing to be dragged across the line. And more likely to stay the course.

Promotion a year too early? on 10:02 - Jan 20 with 3074 viewsPhilTWTD

Promotion a year too early? on 09:56 - Jan 20 by nodge_blue

That link doesn't seem to work...

Not that it matters, but do you think the pension fund were actively looking to invest in football?

I think that's a good sign if they were as it would show they weren't hesitant investors needing to be dragged across the line. And more likely to stay the course.

Works for me, maybe as I'd already accessed it. This is the bit which illustrates the ownership of Gamechanger in terms of shares. I think Mark Steed saw football as an opportunity and was looking around for a club to invest in.

Shareholding 1: 178 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: BRETT MATTHEW JOHNSON

Shareholding 2: 178 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: MARK DANIEL DETMER

Shareholding 3: 178 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: BERKE BAKAY

Shareholding 4: 3 ORDINARY shares held as at the date of this confirmation statement
Name: THREE LIONS IPSWICH LP

Shareholding 5: 22580009 ORDINARY shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: ORG AZ SECONDARY OPPORTUNITY FUND LP

Shareholding 6: 9585 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement

Shareholding 7: 420 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: MARCUS EVANS WORLDWIDE HOLDINGS (IOM) LIMITED
Promotion a year too early? on 10:08 - Jan 20 with 3019 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

They won’t keep McKenna if they don’t push for promotion this season and will lose even more money on the club.
Promotion a year too early? on 10:08 - Jan 20 with 3023 viewsnodge_blue

Promotion a year too early? on 10:02 - Jan 20 by PhilTWTD

Works for me, maybe as I'd already accessed it. This is the bit which illustrates the ownership of Gamechanger in terms of shares. I think Mark Steed saw football as an opportunity and was looking around for a club to invest in.

Shareholding 1: 178 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: BRETT MATTHEW JOHNSON

Shareholding 2: 178 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: MARK DANIEL DETMER

Shareholding 3: 178 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: BERKE BAKAY

Shareholding 4: 3 ORDINARY shares held as at the date of this confirmation statement
Name: THREE LIONS IPSWICH LP

Shareholding 5: 22580009 ORDINARY shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement

Shareholding 6: 9585 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement

Shareholding 7: 420 NON-VOTING shares held as at the date of this confirmation
statement
Name: MARCUS EVANS WORLDWIDE HOLDINGS (IOM) LIMITED

Thanks Phil. Are the fans shares still in that structure? Is that shareholding 6?

Not that you should know all this......

Promotion a year too early? on 10:16 - Jan 20 with 2966 viewsPhilTWTD

Promotion a year too early? on 10:08 - Jan 20 by nodge_blue

Thanks Phil. Are the fans shares still in that structure? Is that shareholding 6?

Not that you should know all this......

Not within that. The PLC, which is the shareholding pre-Marcus Evans, owns about two and a half per cent of Ipswich Town Football Club Company Ltd with Gamechanger 20 owning the rest. It was 12.5 per cent at the time of the takeover but further investment since then has diluted that stake.
Promotion a year too early? on 10:20 - Jan 20 with 2943 viewsNutkins_Return

Promotion a year too early? on 08:35 - Jan 20 by itfctilidie

I don't think it is as straight forward as this. If we get up the countdown wouldnt necessarily begin. They need the club to be established in the premier league really to make money. There is no good getting up, looking for a new owner as potentially we could be back in the championship a year later.

When gamechanger leave, they will have either failed, or we will be a Brentford/Brighton type club.

Oh it's absolutely oversimplified. I mean the clock is ticking now in the sense that they will have an exit strategy. We're part of the higher risk end of their portfolio and a pension fund isn't going to be a long term owner of a football club (or not complete owner anyway). I could see a lot of scenarios e.g. where they keep a % etc.

Getting to the prem will turn the dial though where they will likely look and have discussions with different parties sooner rather than later. Doesn't mean it will be quick sale. They will take their time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024