Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ramadan 13:11 - Mar 10 with 1946 viewsZx1988

I see that Ramadan starts today, so I assume that Morsy and Al-Hamadi will most likely be observing the fast for the next month or so.

It got me thinking - having noticed over the last few weeks in paricular Sam praying before matches, and spotting both him and Ali giving thanks after the goals against Bristol in midweek, I'd love to see the club (assuming Sam is on board) maybe do a feature about Sam and his faith, given that it's so clearly such an integral part of his life and his career.

I think it would make for an interesting watch, particularly through the lens of Ramadan.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Ramadan on 14:09 - Mar 10 with 1826 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I think they already have enough to concentrate on.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Ramadan on 14:11 - Mar 10 with 1821 viewsNutkins_Return

Al Hamadi has done this before. It's on YouTube.
Ramadan on 14:13 - Mar 10 with 1807 viewstextbackup

Was a really good interview with Morsy last season about this. How he deals with it, prepares, what his faith means to him.

Says that it enhances his focus on playing and gives more clarity etc.

Can’t think where it was posted exactly, but was either EADT or ITFC.co.uk

Well worth a read

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Ramadan on 14:17 - Mar 10 with 1781 viewsJ2BLUE

You might find this interesting

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2022/april/idris-el-mizouni-on-ramadan-as-a-professi

He gets another mention here:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13083621/ramadan-how-nujum-sport-a

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ramadan on 14:26 - Mar 10 with 1749 viewsZx1988

Thanks folks - hadn't realised that it had already been covered. I'll give those articles a read with interest.

Ramadan on 14:45 - Mar 10 with 1699 viewsnodge_blue

Hopefully it won’t be too hard for them to observe as sunset is still only about 1800. But even so it must be difficult to skip lunch after a training session.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Ramadan on 17:04 - Mar 10 with 1522 viewsChrisd

Ramadan on 14:45 - Mar 10 by nodge_blue

Hopefully it won’t be too hard for them to observe as sunset is still only about 1800. But even so it must be difficult to skip lunch after a training session.

They won’t be allowed to swallow water either before, during and after training/matches as this breaks the fasting, just swirl around the mouth and spit out. From what I recall, Ramadan will impact football for the next 21/22 seasons.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ramadan on 17:06 - Mar 10 with 1516 viewsredrickstuhaart

Id say the opposite. I'd like them to just treat it as normal rather than make a fuss and point out difference. We dont do articles on a player who does the cross thing after scoring etc.
Login to get fewer ads

Ramadan on 17:55 - Mar 10 with 1437 viewsrodney76

Ramadan on 17:04 - Mar 10 by Chrisd

They won’t be allowed to swallow water either before, during and after training/matches as this breaks the fasting, just swirl around the mouth and spit out. From what I recall, Ramadan will impact football for the next 21/22 seasons.

The water problem seems the most demanding ... they seem to organise the food well enough.

It must be tough, especially during games. If there is a scorcher or two in April it could get dangerous with regards dehydration.

They have managed it before though, I can't imagine how.
[Post edited 10 Mar 17:56]
Ramadan on 18:09 - Mar 10 with 1396 viewsZx1988

Ramadan on 17:55 - Mar 10 by rodney76

The water problem seems the most demanding ... they seem to organise the food well enough.

It must be tough, especially during games. If there is a scorcher or two in April it could get dangerous with regards dehydration.

They have managed it before though, I can't imagine how.
[Post edited 10 Mar 17:56]

I think it's an interesting one on that point.

Some interpretations of the Qu'ran suggest that athletes may miss/postpone the Ramadan fast so long as they either make it up at a later date, or feed 60 needy people for 30 days as an alternative. Clearly past evidence shows that a good number of Muslim footballers would rather observe the fast instead.

One wonders whether the most devout observers would consider strenuous activity on a hot day to be ground for breaking the fast, or whether they would see it as being out of kilter with their brethren who may be enduring a tougher fast than them?

Ramadan on 18:23 - Mar 10 with 1360 viewsPhilTWTD

We spoke to him about Ramadan and fasting last year, if that's of interest.

Morsy: The Momentum is Good But It's Still About One Game at a Time 6th Apr 2023 18:21
Town captain Sam Morsy admits he is excited by the prospect of helping the club to win promotion back to the Championship at the end of the current campaign, of which only eight games remain, starting with tomorrow’s visit of play-off chasers Wycombe Wanderers. 1

Ramadan on 19:51 - Mar 10 with 1183 viewsMullet

Ramadan on 18:09 - Mar 10 by Zx1988

Some interpretations of the Qu'ran suggest that athletes may miss/postpone the Ramadan fast so long as they either make it up at a later date, or feed 60 needy people for 30 days as an alternative. Clearly past evidence shows that a good number of Muslim footballers would rather observe the fast instead.

One wonders whether the most devout observers would consider strenuous activity on a hot day to be ground for breaking the fast, or whether they would see it as being out of kilter with their brethren who may be enduring a tougher fast than them?

We had this come up during exams the other year.

Culturally it seems a bit taboo to skip a day FWIW. I'm not sure if it's a competitive thing, judgement thing or just a desire to be devout but especially once kids get into their mid teens they regard themselves as adults when it comes to fasting.

I'm just glad it's no longer the height of summer and 19 hours or so. Brutal that.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ramadan on 20:57 - Mar 11 with 718 viewsstrikalite

I know the Pakistan cricketers break their fast during matches but do fast on non match days, yes I'm sure it's because they're professional sportsmen like you say..
Ramadan on 21:10 - Mar 11 with 676 viewsSwansea_Blue

Some do make exceptions I believe, at least for fluids. Evening kickoffs would be good with Ramadan at this time of year.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024