Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whatever league next season 18:48 - Mar 13 with 4702 viewscressi

I see a major rebuild the biggest since Cook came in. If we go up Davis May well stay if we don't probably leaves for big money to help rebuild the team and squad.
I only see about 10 to 12 players here in squad now who will be here next season.
Whatever league next season on 18:53 - Mar 13 with 3791 views_clive_baker_

Why? We’re 3rd in the league in a season with a very competitive field. One of our biggest assets is our togetherness, team spirit, patterns of play that have evolved over a period of time. Not to mention that we’re a bit hamstring by FFP. I don’t see what value there would be in tearing up a lot of the squad given we’re unlikely to get decent money for a number of the fringe players to reinvest in better.

I’m sure there will be churn like there is every season, but if we don’t go up I would rather we move on 4 or 5 who aren’t getting game time (Aluko, Ball etc) and look to add 1 or 2 of quality to take us on a gear.
Whatever league next season on 18:57 - Mar 13 with 3746 viewsPlums

I think Kieran's time at Man Utd will have shown him what the result of that approach is likely to be!

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Whatever league next season on 19:00 - Mar 13 with 3722 viewsDarkBrandon

Eh? The only real issue with our squad if we stay down is that both Morsy and Luongo are the wrong side of 30, and we haven’t got much cover at full-back.

We have a few loanees going back, so will need to replace Travis, Moore, Sarmiento and Hutchinson, but that seems no different to every other season in terms of turnover.
Whatever league next season on 19:05 - Mar 13 with 3684 viewsKieran_Knows

Whatever league next season on 18:53 - Mar 13 by _clive_baker_

Why? We’re 3rd in the league in a season with a very competitive field. One of our biggest assets is our togetherness, team spirit, patterns of play that have evolved over a period of time. Not to mention that we’re a bit hamstring by FFP. I don’t see what value there would be in tearing up a lot of the squad given we’re unlikely to get decent money for a number of the fringe players to reinvest in better.

I’m sure there will be churn like there is every season, but if we don’t go up I would rather we move on 4 or 5 who aren’t getting game time (Aluko, Ball etc) and look to add 1 or 2 of quality to take us on a gear.

To be fair, we’ve got 5 loan players who have all played key roles this season that will all end up likely going back to their parent clubs.

Then we have out of contract;
Ball
Burgess
Jackson
Aluko
Camara
Hladky
Tuanzebe
Donacien

Of which I can only see new deals for Burgess and Hladky.

Plus you’ve got potential loan/sales of Ladapo, El Mizouni, Ndaba & Ahadme again.

There could be potentially 10-15 leave - albeit not all key players - but that’s good chunk of players we’d need to replace, as they’ve all filled in at times over the last couple years and had their moments in the side.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Whatever league next season on 19:41 - Mar 13 with 3502 viewsOldFart71

Don't think we will be replacing Morsy or Loungo whatever league we are in. Obviously many of the loan players will go back to their clubs and either found places in their team or sold on. Some players will stay or go depending on what league we are in. The certain outs I would say are Ball and Aluko and possibly Baggott , Donacien and Jackson.
Whatever league next season on 21:04 - Mar 13 with 3332 viewskesblue

Whatever league next season on 19:41 - Mar 13 by OldFart71

Don't think we will be replacing Morsy or Loungo whatever league we are in. Obviously many of the loan players will go back to their clubs and either found places in their team or sold on. Some players will stay or go depending on what league we are in. The certain outs I would say are Ball and Aluko and possibly Baggott , Donacien and Jackson.

Possibly donacian and Jackson?
Whatever league next season on 21:45 - Mar 13 with 3233 viewsVic

I don't get that at all.

if we're still in the Champ we'll probs lose Davies and maybe a couple of others - but this will allow further incremental improvement - not wholesale changes.

Go up to the Prem - probably just investment to improve the squad with a few proven players.

Either way, no repeat of Cookes revolution.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Whatever league next season on 21:58 - Mar 13 with 3186 viewsbackwaywhen

Whatever league next season on 19:00 - Mar 13 by DarkBrandon

Eh? The only real issue with our squad if we stay down is that both Morsy and Luongo are the wrong side of 30, and we haven’t got much cover at full-back.

We have a few loanees going back, so will need to replace Travis, Moore, Sarmiento and Hutchinson, but that seems no different to every other season in terms of turnover.

I would imagine several irons are in the fire regarding who to replace and quality needed , we will only know during the summer , rest assured the wheels are turning one would hope and expect,
Login to get fewer ads

Whatever league next season on 22:41 - Mar 13 with 3062 viewsjayessess

Feel like people have been predicting this "major rebuild" since McKenna's first Summer Window.

Most teams don't look to bin most of their first eleven after a successful season.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Whatever league next season on 09:20 - Mar 14 with 2718 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Whatever league next season on 22:41 - Mar 13 by jayessess

Feel like people have been predicting this "major rebuild" since McKenna's first Summer Window.

Most teams don't look to bin most of their first eleven after a successful season.

I hope it is not a revolution, though these days is not all about what we want as players have lots of power too

I see three groups of players that could leave:

* the 5 loans - obviously

* where we'd like to upgrade.
Perhaps 6 or 7 with the names already mentioned e.g. Ball, Donacien, Aluko, Camara, Ladapo, Ahadme etc

* a final group of players who see opportunity elsewhere.
They have lots of power and will be in demand, especially after this season, and fit in various groups:
- those who could move up e.g. Davis, maybe Hirst
- those who might want to cash-in on their raised profile with better and longer contracts or might want to live someone else. Guessing here, maybe Burgess, Hladky, possibly, shudder, even Morsy?
- those we'd probably like to keep, especially in the Championship, but who want to play much more regularly.
Lots of names here e.g. Walton, Edmundson, Harness, Jackson; possibly Humphreys, maybe even Taylor

Another interesting summer ahead...
[Post edited 14 Mar 9:22]
Whatever league next season on 09:34 - Mar 14 with 2677 viewsWeWereZombies

Indeed, the formula now seems to be four new players at a time (one or two of whom may be loans from even richer clubs of younger players who have had serious development) so the return of existing loan players is absorbed by our own players who have been out through long term injury or have been developed into potential first team regulars.

So four major signings in the summer and then four strategic signings next January (as we had this year) refreshes the squad without shattering the camaraderie.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Whatever league next season on 09:39 - Mar 14 with 2651 viewsKieran_Knows

Who's suggesting we bin off the first 11? Naturally, players like Davis, Chaplin, Burns plus others will all have teams looking at them.

The general concenscus is the wider squad however. 5 loan players with 7 out of contract (of which I can only imagine 2 of which we will keep) leaves a big void to fill. That's before you get to the likes of Ladapo, El Mizouni, Ahadme and Ndaba ... and that's before you then get to players who may see their futures elsewhere given the lack of playing time this season .e Walton & Edmundson.

I'm not suggesting it's going to be a Cook style 'demolition job' this summer, but I do think we may see a higher turn around of players than the last couple of seasons given the nature of how the squad is currently shaped as above.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Whatever league next season on 09:49 - Mar 14 with 2590 viewsSwansea_Blue

Whatever league next season on 19:05 - Mar 13 by Kieran_Knows

To be fair, we’ve got 5 loan players who have all played key roles this season that will all end up likely going back to their parent clubs.

Then we have out of contract;
Ball
Burgess
Jackson
Aluko
Camara
Hladky
Tuanzebe
Donacien

Of which I can only see new deals for Burgess and Hladky.

Plus you’ve got potential loan/sales of Ladapo, El Mizouni, Ndaba & Ahadme again.

There could be potentially 10-15 leave - albeit not all key players - but that’s good chunk of players we’d need to replace, as they’ve all filled in at times over the last couple years and had their moments in the side.

Yeah, when you see it lid out like that it's likely we'll see a fair bit of churn. Moore may be an option for a permanent deal, as Bournemouth don't want, him but I suspect wages would be an issue.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Whatever league next season on 10:19 - Mar 14 with 2404 viewsArnieM

Whatever league next season on 18:53 - Mar 13 by _clive_baker_

absolutely spot on. If there were to be wholesale changes ( which I seriously doubt there would be even if we did go up), That would only cause issues with continuity and functionality of the squad. Demolition man did a great job ( it needed doing at that time and probably saved Mckenna 2 years on his rebuilding), but as soon as you bring in lots of new players the team suffers...look at Stoke with all their recruitments. Its counter intuitive in the short term.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Whatever league next season on 10:22 - Mar 14 with 2382 viewsStokieBlue

Whatever league next season on 10:19 - Mar 14 by ArnieM

absolutely spot on. If there were to be wholesale changes ( which I seriously doubt there would be even if we did go up), That would only cause issues with continuity and functionality of the squad. Demolition man did a great job ( it needed doing at that time and probably saved Mckenna 2 years on his rebuilding), but as soon as you bring in lots of new players the team suffers...look at Stoke with all their recruitments. Its counter intuitive in the short term.

I'm pretty confused now.

After the match you stated that we can't defend and that essentially we needed new defenders.

A few days later you said we could compete with Leicester and Leeds for promotion even though a few days before you said we couldn't defend and were pretty useless.

Now today you're saying we don't need wholesale changes which seems at odds with the belief that we can't defend and the defenders aren't good enough.

You still believe we need a new defence right?

SB
[Post edited 14 Mar 10:28]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Whatever league next season on 10:30 - Mar 14 with 2348 viewskpblues

The Paul Cook demolition job was absolutely necessary as most of the squad were no longer fit for purpose and had a relaxed attitude to the job in hand. That decision was given even more credibility when many went to Colchester the following season and flopped there too.

This time is different though.
We have a decent squad with a great squad attitude with many premier ready players.

We must also heed the mistake that helped put Ipswich in trouble years ago.
George Burley had done a magnificent job in getting us to 5th in the top division.
The following year lots of new faces were brought in and they failed to gel quickly enough so we were relegated.

So please not too many changes!

Poll: Do you want Ipswich to be a city?

Whatever league next season on 10:34 - Mar 14 with 2330 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I don’t think it will be that major. Our starting eleven is pretty solid and there is really no reason to dismantle it, although Davis could well move on if we don’t go up.

The challenge for me is to try and improve the depth of the squad and that’s where I think we could see some movement

Poll: Our final position

Whatever league next season on 10:42 - Mar 14 with 2293 viewsjayessess

Whatever league next season on 09:39 - Mar 14 by Kieran_Knows

Who's suggesting we bin off the first 11? Naturally, players like Davis, Chaplin, Burns plus others will all have teams looking at them.

The general concenscus is the wider squad however. 5 loan players with 7 out of contract (of which I can only imagine 2 of which we will keep) leaves a big void to fill. That's before you get to the likes of Ladapo, El Mizouni, Ahadme and Ndaba ... and that's before you then get to players who may see their futures elsewhere given the lack of playing time this season .e Walton & Edmundson.

I'm not suggesting it's going to be a Cook style 'demolition job' this summer, but I do think we may see a higher turn around of players than the last couple of seasons given the nature of how the squad is currently shaped as above.

The OP explicitly evoked Cook and talked about a "major rebuild".

I don't think allowing fringe players' contracts to expire and loan players to return home constitutes a major rebuild.

Whatever league next season on 10:56 - Mar 14 with 2227 viewsCBMTOBWMMBG

Whatever league next season on 10:42 - Mar 14 by jayessess

The OP explicitly evoked Cook and talked about a "major rebuild".

I don't think allowing fringe players' contracts to expire and loan players to return home constitutes a major rebuild.

As I said above, I think a lot depends on what the individual players all want.

They have power and may want to move on if a Premier League club calls, or to get better contracts in the Championship, or just to get more game time.

I hope they don't go, but it is a short career, however much fun they are having with us.
Whatever league next season on 11:24 - Mar 14 with 2141 viewsFrimleyBlue

Whatever league next season on 10:34 - Mar 14 by southnorfolkblue

I don’t think it will be that major. Our starting eleven is pretty solid and there is really no reason to dismantle it, although Davis could well move on if we don’t go up.

The challenge for me is to try and improve the depth of the squad and that’s where I think we could see some movement

I think we'll maybe see a bit of development movement within the team for next season IF we were to stay down, I.E Taylor taking over from Luongo, maybe seeing more of Humphreys too.

Which league we are in will be a massive decider on what we do and it must actually be quite difficult to plan with such an unknown at present.

Championship, the first 11 is fine, just needs depth

Prem, imo half the first 11 would be replaced ( added to ) as well as depth,

Its gonne be a big turnaround of players which ever league we're in however due to loans/contracts... but the first 11... really does depend on what league.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Whatever league next season on 11:30 - Mar 14 with 2134 viewsArnieM

Whatever league next season on 10:22 - Mar 14 by StokieBlue

I'm pretty confused now.

After the match you stated that we can't defend and that essentially we needed new defenders.

A few days later you said we could compete with Leicester and Leeds for promotion even though a few days before you said we couldn't defend and were pretty useless.

Now today you're saying we don't need wholesale changes which seems at odds with the belief that we can't defend and the defenders aren't good enough.

You still believe we need a new defence right?

SB
[Post edited 14 Mar 10:28]

No need to be confused and read something into what I've written that isn't there.

There's a BIG difference from "wholesale" changes to a squad as OP suggested, to one where you bring in 2-3 players...Clive B suggested this , and I agree... (and have always maintained we need better CB's), but overall IF we get promoted Id suggest defence and attack needs to be reviewed. That not wholesale changes ....Still confused ?.

Edit : And yes , to get promoted we need , and are competing with the Likes of Leicester and Leeds, and are doing a bloody good job tbf... But they have superior depth of squad to us , which I'm not sure we can match man for man , in depth ... But to be promoted we need to compete. What's confusing about that ?

Gaslighting ....
[Post edited 14 Mar 11:33]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Whatever league next season on 11:36 - Mar 14 with 2093 viewsgordon

There are quite a few things up in the air, but I think a relatively conservative guess gives it at about 16 current players in the 25 man squad for next year. No idea what the plans are for Ndaba and El Mizouni, but they would be relatively cheap back-ups for the 25-man squad so could see them here. I am just assuming that Donacien, Jackson, Ball and Edmundson will want first-team football, not saying they should be ditched:

Hladky

Clarke
Tuanzebe
Burgess
Woolfenden
Ndaba

Morsy
Luongo
Taylor
El Mizouni

Harness
Chaplin
Burns
Broadhead
Hirst
Al-Hamidi

Leaving:
Jackson, Aluko, Ladapo, Camara, Edmundson, Davis, Ball, Donacien
[Post edited 14 Mar 11:36]
Whatever league next season on 12:26 - Mar 14 with 1979 viewsjayessess

Whatever league next season on 10:56 - Mar 14 by CBMTOBWMMBG

As I said above, I think a lot depends on what the individual players all want.

They have power and may want to move on if a Premier League club calls, or to get better contracts in the Championship, or just to get more game time.

I hope they don't go, but it is a short career, however much fun they are having with us.

I think realistically the range of players at our club who will have Premier League suitors is pretty limited. Our run to 3rd hasn't convinced a lot of clubs that we've got brilliant individuals, the most in demand person involved will be McKenna.

As it stands, there's probably one obvious candidate for a move - Leif Davis - and two that might fit somebody's idea of a useful investment - Luke Woolfenden and Nathan Broadhead.

The rest either haven't proven enough this season (Hirst, Clarke) or are too old to get that kind of move (Burgess, Morsy, Luongo, Chaplin, Burns, Hladky).

Whatever league next season on 12:53 - Mar 14 with 1876 viewsElderGrizzly

Whatever league next season on 10:34 - Mar 14 by southnorfolkblue

Half of our starting XI (or close to starting XI) isn't ours though.

That I guess is one of the bigger issues and one of the pains of the loan market. We may get some of them back like Omari, even so we will have a decent rebuild to do next season whatever league we are in.
Whatever league next season on 12:55 - Mar 14 with 1871 viewsE_I_E_I_E_I_O

Yet another bizarre post but here is how I see it.

Assuming we don't go up I think the biggest criteria would be to get in loan players of a equal quality that we have had this season. Hopefully with players and coaches looking from the outside in Ipswich will be a favourable loan destination again.

Like most have said although we have done so well only Davis is a shoe-in to have premier clubs circling. Possibly Woolfy to someone like the play-off winners for example but that's about it. The rest of the squad don't have the profile and right age range for premier moves and that suits us.

I think we could confidently say the starting 11 of the first game next season would have at least 8 players that are currently in our squad now. Barring injuries of course.

Keeping McKenna is more important than anything else by a mile.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024