Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? 16:14 - May 1 with 3569 viewsITFCBlues

Considering the players who will be out of contract & then the loans that'll be ending, that leaves quite a few holes that'll need filling.

Keepers - by all accounts, Vas is close to a new deal. I can see Walton moving on to get first team football. Although, he's on good money here & who knows if he's due more on promotion. As good as Vas has been, especially with his feet, he does let in some soft goals - see Hull 3rd goal and even last night. I do think we need another keeper myself.

LB - Need cover for Leif, goes without saying.

RB - Donacien will leave you'd assume. Tuanzebe has done a decent job there and Clarke is decent enough, but i'd like to see another RB myself and perhaps move Axel back into CB.

CB - Wolf, Burgess, Tuanzebe & Edmundson still on the books - assuming Tuanzebe gets his year option taken up. Another CB will amost certainly be added. I can see us switching to a back 5 next season, in which case we'd almost certainly need another CB.

CM - Ball almost certainly leaving & Travis will return to Blackbun. We need more legs in midfield - not sure Luongo & Morsy will both be able to play together next season. Could do with a more athletic midfielder. I could easily see a couple of CM's added.

Wingers - Sarmiento, Jackson, Aluko & Omari all leaving. Harness also hasn't featured much of late, so you'd think he's likely to move on. This will leave quite a big hole - i believe there was an option on Sarmiento to stay if we did win promotion, interested to see if we take that up. Will certainly need to strengthen in this area.

AM - Chaplin struggled a bit the last 10 games or so. Could see Taylor playing a bit more advanced next season perhaps. With Omari leaving, this is another area we'd need to improve.

Strikers - Moore likely to head back. Leaves Ali & Hirst. I could see a world where Ali gets loaned out for next season & another striker comes in.

Overall - we'd probably be looking at quite an extensive squad refresh overall. A lot of players out of contract/returning to clubs from loans - would leave the squad very thin.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:17 - May 1 with 2852 viewsKieran_Knows

I suspect you could be looking at a new spine to the team.

Goalkeeper
Centre back
Centre mid - I'd honestly take a look at Sheaf from last night, thought he was class.
Striker

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:22 - May 1 with 2782 viewshype313

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:17 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

Goalkeeper
Centre back
Centre mid - I'd honestly take a look at Sheaf from last night, thought he was class.
Striker

Sheaf or Downes would be good additions

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:24 - May 1 with 2764 viewsZx1988

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:17 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

Goalkeeper
Centre back
Striker

Agreed.

One top quality addition in each of the four traditional areas, and then improvements where possible/warranted elsewhere.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:29 - May 1 with 2728 viewsbaxterbasics

I'm still holding onto hope that Omari returns for another season at least

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:30 - May 1 with 2705 viewsITFCBlues

Goalkeeper
Centre back
Striker

Agree 100%. Sheaf wouldn't come cheap you'd think. He is 26 - would we pay circa 10m for a 26 year old? He was quality mind. I think the money we will spend is likely to be spent on players who we could potentially sell on.

I think we need to bring in players in all positions. It could honestly be a long summer!

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:31 - May 1 with 2681 viewsITFCBlues

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:29 - May 1 by baxterbasics

I'm still holding onto hope that Omari returns for another season at least

Can't see it myself. Chelsea will either sell him to balance the books, or he will be in and around their squad. He's probably already as good as a lot of the players they have in forward positions.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:33 - May 1 with 2673 viewstetchris

Premier League is a whole different ball game. Davis and Burns could make the step up. I think if we are being honest, the rest of the squad are playing either above or at their level. Jackson, Ball are two that can leave. Sone Aluko doesn’t need a squad number. Try and sign on loan Hutchinson and Sarmiento. I would look for a new goalie, two new centre halves, right back, two new strikers and some legs in midfield. Sammie Szmodics might be worth a punt. We can’t afford to spend millions on players with high wages so might have to recruit from championship or loanees from PL
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:33 - May 1 with 2651 viewsFrimleyBlue

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:31 - May 1 by ITFCBlues

Can't see it myself. Chelsea will either sell him to balance the books, or he will be in and around their squad. He's probably already as good as a lot of the players they have in forward positions.

Ashton being the man he is, it wouldn't suprised me if there wasn't already a deal in the pipeline, it might be a loan, but i suspect we haven't seen the last of hutchinson

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:37 - May 1 with 2601 viewsITFCBlues

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:33 - May 1 by tetchris

Premier League is a whole different ball game. Davis and Burns could make the step up. I think if we are being honest, the rest of the squad are playing either above or at their level. Jackson, Ball are two that can leave. Sone Aluko doesn’t need a squad number. Try and sign on loan Hutchinson and Sarmiento. I would look for a new goalie, two new centre halves, right back, two new strikers and some legs in midfield. Sammie Szmodics might be worth a punt. We can’t afford to spend millions on players with high wages so might have to recruit from championship or loanees from PL

We're not going to pay 15m for Szmodics when he's 28.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:42 - May 1 with 2552 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Was thinking about this the other day. Burns and Davis could make the step up, potentially also Hirst, Tuanzebe has Prem experience. Sarmiento next season, is a given, Hutchinson will be a hope.

But, we are going to have to say goodbye to some favourites, and worse still they are in love with this club. Going to be a summer of heartbreaking goodbyes I fear.
[Post edited 1 May 16:48]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:47 - May 1 with 2503 viewsturtle2

Hate to say it - and here comes the critics I'm sure but I suspect there is already big plans behind the scene for a total overhaul of players. Let me preface this by saying this squad - Jan 2023 until now has brought me more joy and happiness than just about any ITFC team in history and i was there in 80/81 (and before). HOWEVER - i just dont think the current squad / team would cut the mustard in the premiership - sorry and I think the owners / McKenna know it - its a brutal game - and plans will be being made. For me - guys who wont be inluded are Luongo, Hirst - 2 defenders - and we desperately need more quality - a lot more quality up front - a lot more.
Remember the worst in the Premiership will be better than Leeds, Narwich , Leicster, etc and we have poor points from these teams this season...... I'd say 6 new faces , Hutchinson signed for sure + another 30+ Million will get spent - at least - otherwise - what is the point. I'm in the same business (ish) as the owners - there is a cart load of money that could come our way and I think they may go for it big time - Private Equity, etc - 30-50 mill is peanuts
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:55 - May 1 with 2430 viewsITFCBlues

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:42 - May 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

Was thinking about this the other day. Burns and Davis could make the step up, potentially also Hirst, Tuanzebe has Prem experience. Sarmiento next season, is a given, Hutchinson will be a hope.

But, we are going to have to say goodbye to some favourites, and worse still they are in love with this club. Going to be a summer of heartbreaking goodbyes I fear.
[Post edited 1 May 16:48]

100%! Reality is, a lot of these players aren't going to be able to push us on.

We're going to need to improve every area of the squad - probably similar to what Luton did last summer. But at the same time, you still need to keep a core of players that were here last season as well or it'll all look a bit like Paul Cook trying to mould 18 new players!

I can see around 10 new players coming through the door myself. Interested to see what kind of transfer kitty we'll have available. We're not going to go mad like Forest for example, but i think we'll also be better backed than Norwich for example who ploughed a lot of their money into infrastructure the first 1 or 2 times they were promoted - we've just had that 100m investment that's likely to be used for that you'd assume which would leave more money in the kitty to strengthen the squad.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:57 - May 1 with 2398 viewsWestSussexBlue

Extend the contract of McKenna even further. If we do get promoted and he has a finishing say 12th, he’s going to be top of the list for every club bar maybe 4/5.
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:57 - May 1 with 2397 viewsIllinoisblue

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:47 - May 1 by turtle2

Hate to say it - and here comes the critics I'm sure but I suspect there is already big plans behind the scene for a total overhaul of players. Let me preface this by saying this squad - Jan 2023 until now has brought me more joy and happiness than just about any ITFC team in history and i was there in 80/81 (and before). HOWEVER - i just dont think the current squad / team would cut the mustard in the premiership - sorry and I think the owners / McKenna know it - its a brutal game - and plans will be being made. For me - guys who wont be inluded are Luongo, Hirst - 2 defenders - and we desperately need more quality - a lot more quality up front - a lot more.
Remember the worst in the Premiership will be better than Leeds, Narwich , Leicster, etc and we have poor points from these teams this season...... I'd say 6 new faces , Hutchinson signed for sure + another 30+ Million will get spent - at least - otherwise - what is the point. I'm in the same business (ish) as the owners - there is a cart load of money that could come our way and I think they may go for it big time - Private Equity, etc - 30-50 mill is peanuts

Nothing too controversial there. Sure there have been targets drawn up all season with various scenarios on the table depending on what league we’re in.

Tricky balance between not killing the spirit the squad and club has now, but ensuring we buy enough quality to finish 17th. Have total faith in KM that he knows what we need.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:59 - May 1 with 2379 viewsITFCBlues

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 16:57 - May 1 by Illinoisblue

Nothing too controversial there. Sure there have been targets drawn up all season with various scenarios on the table depending on what league we’re in.

Tricky balance between not killing the spirit the squad and club has now, but ensuring we buy enough quality to finish 17th. Have total faith in KM that he knows what we need.

There will be a core that stays, but regardless of this, with the players out of contact and loans ending, you're already looking at 8 or 9 players.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:00 - May 1 with 2364 viewsSwansea_Blue

We will obviously look to strengthen, but don't underestimate the understanding the current bunch have developed in adapting to KM's ways and the team spirit. Both can take you a surprising long way in the PL and we may better looking for evolution rather than revolution.

Having said that, the thought of some of the PL front lines running at our back 3/4 scares me witless! That's assuming we do go up of course - still got a job to do.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:10 - May 1 with 2295 viewsPinewoodblue

While the mantra has always been one game at a time I am sure that a blueprint already exists for life in The Premier League.

One area we are coming up short is having players ready to move up from Academy / Under 21's. I am sure that addressing this shortfall is on our to do list. Wouldn't be surprised if we make 4-5 signings of outfield players under the age of 21, and not loans, all with Premier League club pedigree.

Much the same way as last summer we were very active in signing goalkeepers.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:15 - May 1 with 2249 viewscbower

Goalkeeper
Centre back
Striker

Agree on Sheaf. Not due to last night but he is a class act. Big, strong, athletic and can pass it around.

bluescouser

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:16 - May 1 with 2235 viewsTractorWood

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:00 - May 1 by Swansea_Blue

We will obviously look to strengthen, but don't underestimate the understanding the current bunch have developed in adapting to KM's ways and the team spirit. Both can take you a surprising long way in the PL and we may better looking for evolution rather than revolution.

Having said that, the thought of some of the PL front lines running at our back 3/4 scares me witless! That's assuming we do go up of course - still got a job to do.

I don't disagree but the quality of the top half of the prem is stratospheric.

To think we could try and play football against Arsenal, Man City et al playing a high, open line is naive to be kind.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:18 - May 1 with 2223 views_clive_baker_

Agree with most of that.

RB is a priority. Tuanzebe has done well to be fair, but I don't think its his best position. Clarke is a great one to have in the squad, versatile and bleeds Town, young enough to improve but personally I think he could be ripped a new one at that level.

Central defender definitely. Not sure what that would mean for Edmundson though, who has been exceptional when he's played.

CM definitely. Someone to come and make Morsy look sh1t, that should be the aim. Taylor's done well and a different profile, but we'll need to push the boat out on a top central midfielder.

Attacking areas certainly we'll need to recruit. Philogene and Hutchinson back in some capacity would be a very good start. I like Sarmiento and he was excellent last night, I'd have him back but don't see him as a starter. Certainly someone up top, similar ask of the central midfield addition(s), someone who can come in and make Hirst droppable.

Chaplin, Burns, Woolfy, Morsy, Davis, Burgess, Broadhead, Hirst will all get plenty of minutes next season I would think, despite a number of additions being likely.
[Post edited 1 May 17:34]
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:22 - May 1 with 2195 viewsITFCBlues

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:16 - May 1 by TractorWood

I don't disagree but the quality of the top half of the prem is stratospheric.

To think we could try and play football against Arsenal, Man City et al playing a high, open line is naive to be kind.

Yeah - we'd have to adapt the way we play. Not sure you'd be able to be quite so open, leaving Leif to bomb forward with a massive gap in behind. We'd get slaughtered. Why i can see a switch to a back 5. Allows Leif a little more freedom to get forward.

Premier League is all about pace and power - you look at Brentford as the model. They have very good players on the counter whilst having physical players all over the park who can also keep the ball.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:24 - May 1 with 2185 viewsITFCBlues

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:18 - May 1 by _clive_baker_

Agree with most of that.

RB is a priority. Tuanzebe has done well to be fair, but I don't think its his best position. Clarke is a great one to have in the squad, versatile and bleeds Town, young enough to improve but personally I think he could be ripped a new one at that level.

Central defender definitely. Not sure what that would mean for Edmundson though, who has been exceptional when he's played.

CM definitely. Someone to come and make Morsy look sh1t, that should be the aim. Taylor's done well and a different profile, but we'll need to push the boat out on a top central midfielder.

Attacking areas certainly we'll need to recruit. Philogene and Hutchinson back in some capacity would be a very good start. I like Sarmiento and he was excellent last night, I'd have him back but don't see him as a starter. Certainly someone up top, similar ask of the central midfield addition(s), someone who can come in and make Hirst droppable.

Chaplin, Burns, Woolfy, Morsy, Davis, Burgess, Broadhead, Hirst will all get plenty of minutes next season I would think, despite a number of additions being likely.
[Post edited 1 May 17:34]

Agreed & your list of players to keep is probably spot on as well. Probably add Morsy to that as well - as long as he has someone mobile next to him as well.

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:26 - May 1 with 2157 viewsBloomBlue

I don't think KM will undertake a massive squad change, he believes in his own coaching ability to continue improving players already here - and I for one agree with him he can continue improving the players
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:29 - May 1 with 2110 viewsitfc48

If they're not going to integrate him into their first team Chelsea would be silly not to keep Hutch here. That said he does hold some of the cards given he'll be entering the last year of his contract. He left Arsenal because he couldn't see a path to the first team and I expect he'd do the same to Chelsea if no obvious pathway was present.
IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:38 - May 1 with 2001 views_clive_baker_

IF we do go up...What business needs to be done? on 17:24 - May 1 by ITFCBlues

Agreed & your list of players to keep is probably spot on as well. Probably add Morsy to that as well - as long as he has someone mobile next to him as well.

Good point, forgot to add him.

That's probably a 'core' of 8 outfield players that will see plenty of football. I can see a further 8 coming in to supplement that core to be honest, perhaps a couple of those on loan. Then the likes of Luongo, Clarke, Tuanzebe, Taylor on top gets us to 20.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024