Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen 09:27 - May 21 with 35762 viewsitfcjoe

Rob Edwards seems to be the only name mentioned yet so presume there is something in that

If we want the most continuity I would be doing what it takes to get Michael Carrick out of Boro, he signed a new deal a week or so back and very bought into the project there but I really like him too. Very tough deal to do I imagine.

I think the Pl may be a step too far, but had we stayed down I'd have been all over Danny Rohl, he strikes me as the most McKenna like as a career coach, great experience and done a fantastic job at Sheff Weds, really impressive and seems to 'get it' judging by their fan base.

Also, another name not seen mentioned much is Steve Cooper, did really well in the mad house that is Nottingham Forest, great developer of young players and good PL experience.

I've seen a few say Graham Potter but he feels unrealistic when you see the jobs linked with, is still being paid an exorbitant amount by Chelsea so not sure we'd have the clout to attract him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:28 - May 21 with 1573 viewsN2_Blue

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:20 - May 21 by Bloots

....got to the last 16 of the Europa League this season don't you?

One of the main reasons cited that they didn't push on this year was due to the additional games in Europe.

They will be wanting to push on next season to get back into Europe.

They are miles ahead of us at the moment, and as I have said previously KM is not an Ipswich supporter, he's a professional football manager that will look at things with a far more balanced perspective than we will.

Yes i do.

Fulham, Wolves have all done Europe and struggled to kick on. I don't see Brighton being a club that will manage to do what they haven't.

Why do you think De Zerbi left?

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:28 - May 21 with 1580 viewsbaxterbasics

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:29 - May 21 with 1554 viewsGuthrum

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:16 - May 21 by portmanking

But Phil, he's 38! Why does he NEED to do that right now? Any sane owner would still be smitten with him if, heaven forbid, we go down next season. He's still going to be attractive. Yet by sticking with us next season, he has a chance to immortalise himself with us, carry on working with a squad that will already run through brick walls for him and continue building an elite infrastructure here in his mould.

With Brighton, he could take them from 11th to what... 8th at best? Is that really going to move the dial for a United or Chelsea? Hell, if Chelsea have him on their hit-list already without even managing a game in the Prem, why would relegation be an issue?!

Maybe he wants to do 20+ years at ManU and exceed even Ferguson's record?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:30 - May 21 with 1539 viewsportmanking

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:29 - May 21 by Guthrum

Maybe he wants to do 20+ years at ManU and exceed even Ferguson's record?

If United were to put their faith in him right now, I'd accept that. You'd have to. A chance to build a dynasty at the club he's supported since a boy.

A couple of years at Brighton won't change how United's hierarchy feel about him though.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:31 - May 21 with 1528 viewsNthQldITFC

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:28 - May 21 by baxterbasics

Who is this Sam C cat? (I can't get on Twitter at the moment as I refuse to abide by it's desire to track my ass.)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:32 - May 21 with 1521 viewsGlasgowBlue

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:28 - May 21 by N2_Blue

Yes i do.

Fulham, Wolves have all done Europe and struggled to kick on. I don't see Brighton being a club that will manage to do what they haven't.

He also has to weigh up whether Erik ten Hag has another season left in hm at United. If he does then Keiran would have a year's experience in the Premier League and be perfectly positioned to get the job there.

He'd look too much like Steve Bruce if he went to Brighton then jumped to United a year later.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:33 - May 21 with 1506 viewspointofblue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:31 - May 21 by NthQldITFC

Who is this Sam C cat? (I can't get on Twitter at the moment as I refuse to abide by it's desire to track my ass.)

Manchester United journalist by the looks of it. Interesting if true, as it makes it clear to McKenna that he isn’t Brighton’s first choice.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:33 - May 21 with 1504 viewsglasso

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:32 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

He also has to weigh up whether Erik ten Hag has another season left in hm at United. If he does then Keiran would have a year's experience in the Premier League and be perfectly positioned to get the job there.

He'd look too much like Steve Bruce if he went to Brighton then jumped to United a year later.

That'd really put his nose out of joint.
Login to get fewer ads

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:34 - May 21 with 1493 viewsPhilTWTD

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:16 - May 21 by portmanking

But Phil, he's 38! Why does he NEED to do that right now? Any sane owner would still be smitten with him if, heaven forbid, we go down next season. He's still going to be attractive. Yet by sticking with us next season, he has a chance to immortalise himself with us, carry on working with a squad that will already run through brick walls for him and continue building an elite infrastructure here in his mould.

With Brighton, he could take them from 11th to what... 8th at best? Is that really going to move the dial for a United or Chelsea? Hell, if Chelsea have him on their hit-list already without even managing a game in the Prem, why would relegation be an issue?!

As Mick McCarthy used to put it, you go from god to dog very quickly in football management. Opportunities which come up now might not in the future. Remember, George Burley went from Manager of the Year to being sacked with Town floundering in the second tier in less than 18 months.
You do know that Brighton..... on 13:35 - May 21 with 1481 viewsN2_Blue

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:32 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

If United stick with ETH they are a lost cause as a club....so i geunitely hope they do.

Probably the worst mangerial performance there has been in the Premiership era. The analysis Sky do of his in game management is eye opening. ETH the fraud.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:37 - May 21 with 1443 viewsStokieBlue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:26 - May 21 by RedX

It would be a selfish move.

That's unbelievably harsh.

Quite a few on this thread need to step back a bit and take another look at what they are posting.

We all want him to stay but some of the stuff being posted is pretty ridiculous. We can only assume these posters would never move on from their current jobs if what they perceived as a better offer arises.

SB.

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

He's a "Football News Aggregator"... on 13:38 - May 21 with 1435 viewsBloots

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:31 - May 21 by NthQldITFC

....so basically he just retweets/reports gossip that he reads on the internet.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:38 - May 21 with 1427 viewsNthQldITFC

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:33 - May 21 by pointofblue

Manchester United journalist by the looks of it. Interesting if true, as it makes it clear to McKenna that he isn’t Brighton’s first choice.

Isn't that more saying that Brighton isn't McKenna's first choice?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:39 - May 21 with 1423 viewsN2_Blue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:34 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

As Mick McCarthy used to put it, you go from god to dog very quickly in football management. Opportunities which come up now might not in the future. Remember, George Burley went from Manager of the Year to being sacked with Town floundering in the second tier in less than 18 months.

I think Mckenna is a different beast. He backs himself. I think he'll genuinely think he can keep us up net year and that's why he'll stay.

If he does leave for Brighton, i think it will be as much as indication that even he doesn't believe he could keep Town in the Premier League which would be a real shame and show that maybe were not prepared to make as good fist of it as the fans believe. But i don't thiink that is going to be the case. He'll end up staying because he believes he is the man that can do it.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:40 - May 21 with 1389 viewspointofblue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:37 - May 21 by StokieBlue

That's unbelievably harsh.

Quite a few on this thread need to step back a bit and take another look at what they are posting.

We all want him to stay but some of the stuff being posted is pretty ridiculous. We can only assume these posters would never move on from their current jobs if what they perceived as a better offer arises.

SB.

Agreed. But football is a, albeit unfairly, different entity to usual jobs due to the passion and emotion of fans. It’s the same as players - the expectation is for them to remain loyal to a club, especially if they’ve come through the ranks, but if they lose form then fans don’t hesitate to call for them to be dropped or released/sold.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:40 - May 21 with 1385 viewsportmanking

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:39 - May 21 by N2_Blue

I think Mckenna is a different beast. He backs himself. I think he'll genuinely think he can keep us up net year and that's why he'll stay.

If he does leave for Brighton, i think it will be as much as indication that even he doesn't believe he could keep Town in the Premier League which would be a real shame and show that maybe were not prepared to make as good fist of it as the fans believe. But i don't thiink that is going to be the case. He'll end up staying because he believes he is the man that can do it.

100%. McKenna is a different beast to McCarthy and Burley. Anyone can see that.

Someone with his level of football IQ and man management skills won't just fall off the radar of PL sporting directors in 6-12 months' time.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:41 - May 21 with 1365 viewsNedPlimpton

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:39 - May 21 by N2_Blue

Not sure why it would indicate he doesn't think he could keep us up

Maybe he backs himself enoug to think he can get Brighton into Europe?
De Zerbi left because.... on 13:42 - May 21 with 1353 viewsBloots

You do know that Brighton..... on 13:28 - May 21 by N2_Blue

Yes i do.

....he wanted more say in the recruitment process.

Tony Bloom uses his analytical model for all player recruitment.

That's why he left.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:43 - May 21 with 1336 viewsIP4_Blue

My gut is he leaves which will be gutting but I can't see how people don't see Brighton as an upgrade at the moment, they are 5 years ahead of us, it is the next step for McKenna to then go for real top jobs. I think we will catch Brighton but will take few years, which I don't think McKenna will want to wait
Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting.... on 13:44 - May 21 with 1321 viewsBloots

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:38 - May 21 by NthQldITFC

Isn't that more saying that Brighton isn't McKenna's first choice?

....I reckon he fancies the Chelsea job and he wants to wait and see if Poch gets binned.

None of this potential waiting is great news for us.

De Zerbi left because.... on 13:45 - May 21 with 1289 viewsN2_Blue

De Zerbi left because.... on 13:42 - May 21 by Bloots

....he wanted more say in the recruitment process.

Tony Bloom uses his analytical model for all player recruitment.

That's why he left.

Yes i know..it was a rhetorical question! And that is one of the reasons i don't think McKenna will take the job.

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:46 - May 21 with 1252 viewsBiGDonnie

The infamous banner some nobbers took to the Amex is going to come back and bite us, isn't it!

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Farioli's odds have.... on 13:47 - May 21 with 1251 viewsBloots

De Zerbi left because.... on 13:45 - May 21 by N2_Blue

Yes i know..it was a rhetorical question! And that is one of the reasons i don't think McKenna will take the job.

plummeted over the last couple of hours.

There's still hope!

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:47 - May 21 with 1242 viewsParky

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:08 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

I think here there's a risk of relegation and putting his career path - with the ultimate aim getting a club like Man U or Chelsea - back a step or two. At Brighton, where they're established in the Premier League and with a well-set infrastructure at that level - someone said to me earlier that their analytics platform is as good as it gets - so the chance of performing to a level which might get him one of those big jobs is greater. That doesn't mean it's impossible with Town, of course.

Fully get what you’re saying and know it won’t be an easy decision for McKenna, but the ‘established’ tag always annoys me. We start the season on the exact same amount of points as Brighton, ‘established’ teams are not guaranteed to do well.

I’ll put my neck on the line here and say the Brighton move just makes no sense to me, they’ve hit their ceiling, a selling club and McKenna would have no real say in transfers (believe that’s partly why De Zerbi left). He’s essentially built a club up here, even had a say in our training ground, he isn’t getting that at Brighton, a bad start and their fans would quickly turn.

Would obviously love him to stay and continue this journey he’s started, but if he wants to jump ship for Brighton before our journey has finished, then so be it. (FWIW, I’d have no qualms if he left for Chelsea or Man United, but I really don’t see the big appeal with Brighton.
[Post edited 21 May 13:55]
Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting.... on 13:49 - May 21 with 1222 viewsitfcjoe

Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting.... on 13:44 - May 21 by Bloots

....I reckon he fancies the Chelsea job and he wants to wait and see if Poch gets binned.

None of this potential waiting is great news for us.

In 3 weeks time when Chelsea randomly bin off Poch we are going to wish he'd gone to Brighton

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024