Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen 09:27 - May 21 with 35858 viewsitfcjoe

Rob Edwards seems to be the only name mentioned yet so presume there is something in that

If we want the most continuity I would be doing what it takes to get Michael Carrick out of Boro, he signed a new deal a week or so back and very bought into the project there but I really like him too. Very tough deal to do I imagine.

I think the Pl may be a step too far, but had we stayed down I'd have been all over Danny Rohl, he strikes me as the most McKenna like as a career coach, great experience and done a fantastic job at Sheff Weds, really impressive and seems to 'get it' judging by their fan base.

Also, another name not seen mentioned much is Steve Cooper, did really well in the mad house that is Nottingham Forest, great developer of young players and good PL experience.

I've seen a few say Graham Potter but he feels unrealistic when you see the jobs linked with, is still being paid an exorbitant amount by Chelsea so not sure we'd have the clout to attract him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:18 - May 21 with 2318 viewspositivity

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:12 - May 21 by StokieBlue

"Not expecting their leader to jump off the bus as it turns the corner."

Another ridiculous statement.

Perhaps we should just build a dungeon and keep McKenna in there?

Nobody wants him to leave but there needs to be some realism in these discussions.

At least the noises from Phil are getting more positive.

SB
[Post edited 21 May 14:13]

as a fanbase we've got to be more objective.

we knew when we got him in that he was highly ambitious and wanted to manage at the highest level.

we now know he has the skills to match that ambition.

it's inevitable that he'll leave at some point, fortunately ashton and co will be actively planning for that

(that said, i'd love him to stay as long as possible!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:19 - May 21 with 2298 viewsIP4_Blue

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:17 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Not ruling that out, although I've thought that was an outside chance, but not the angle I've been given to believe a move is less likely than I thought was the case.

ok well fingers crossed we get another season out of McKenna!
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:20 - May 21 with 2265 viewsEuropablue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:04 - May 21 by Guthrum

If there was a reasonable chance of a somewhat better job and the possiblity of one or two very much better jobs, would you not consider any or all of those, despite the current job being a decent one? Does the current employer not become the worst of the three or four options under those circumstances?

KM has more than enough money. If the job involves unsettling your family, surely you should think about that rather than just your career?
Then you have two options that don't even seem like options right now. McKenna would need his head checked if he opted for Chelsea, anyway Pochitino seems to have turned a corner with that team. Is Man Utd. set up to be successful? It seems positive that Jim Radcliffe has taken charge there, but there has to be a significant change. No one has really managed to get Utd. going since SAF and he probably would have struggled under the Glasiers if he wasn't already a legend in the game when the bought Utd. Then you have the factor that would keep you at the current club including finishing the journey and managing the side that you got the Premier League and having a good legacy. He also won't be able to build the same trust with the Brighton fans if he proves that he will move onto the next stepping stone or the top job that he is really angling for.
There are a lot of factors the main ones probably being the Utd. and Chelsea aren't seriously offering him anything.
Farioli's odds have.... on 14:21 - May 21 with 2231 viewsbaxterbasics

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:08 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Certainly the mood does seem to be moving in the direction of not going to Brighton.

Great. Just need to lose the last two words from that sentence.

Mind you if he does leave, I would much prefer Brighton become my second team over ManU or Chelsea.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:22 - May 21 with 2205 viewsN2_Blue

Not ruling that out, although I've thought that was an outside chance, but not the angle I've been given to believe a move is less likely than I thought was the case.

You definitely stirred things up a bit after your commenst yesterday Phil. More people than not in my connections definitely were resigned to the fact he had gone to Brighton

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:25 - May 21 with 2111 viewsEuropablue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:05 - May 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I think comments like these are harsh on KM. Brighton, in the face of it would be a lower risk move than potentially having a relegation on his CV.

Yes it would feel like being dumped, but who here judging him would ever put the desires of their employer before their own career. Not one I’d bet…

It depends how well your employer treated you and how integrated into the entire community you were.
The thing is that KM will never find anything as special as what he has now. He came in at a low point in our history and he can ride the wave all the way up and become a club legend or he could become a well respected, but not loved winner at the big clubs. If his first love is Utd. and he is just being calculated and trying to get there as soon as possible, then fair enough I suppose, but there is still so much for him to achieve here and a lot of potential here. If he keeps us up and Utd. are still struggling, that will get the attention of the Utd. higher ups.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:25 - May 21 with 2109 viewsKieran_Knows

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:09 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Further to that last sentence, had further info which strengthens that impression.

Better get that statue back on order!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:26 - May 21 with 2077 viewspointofblue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:15 - May 21 by burnbudgiesburn

Chelsea would be a much easier switch to accept though, ngl

Whilst I understand what you mean, I think Brighton would be the more sensible move of the two.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:26 - May 21 with 2080 viewsjayessess

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:20 - May 21 by Europablue

KM has more than enough money. If the job involves unsettling your family, surely you should think about that rather than just your career?
Then you have two options that don't even seem like options right now. McKenna would need his head checked if he opted for Chelsea, anyway Pochitino seems to have turned a corner with that team. Is Man Utd. set up to be successful? It seems positive that Jim Radcliffe has taken charge there, but there has to be a significant change. No one has really managed to get Utd. going since SAF and he probably would have struggled under the Glasiers if he wasn't already a legend in the game when the bought Utd. Then you have the factor that would keep you at the current club including finishing the journey and managing the side that you got the Premier League and having a good legacy. He also won't be able to build the same trust with the Brighton fans if he proves that he will move onto the next stepping stone or the top job that he is really angling for.
There are a lot of factors the main ones probably being the Utd. and Chelsea aren't seriously offering him anything.

As it stands KM's got the 14th-longest tenure of any manager in the English football leagues. Already done a relatively big stint (for a football manager).
[Post edited 21 May 14:31]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:28 - May 21 with 2035 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:26 - May 21 by jayessess

As it stands KM's got the 14th-longest tenure of any manager in the English football leagues. Already done a relatively big stint (for a football manager).
[Post edited 21 May 14:31]

That's ridiculous isn't it haha

Think I need to get my head around the fact that a Robson/Burley type tenure is a thing of the past.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:28 - May 21 with 2032 viewspointofblue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:25 - May 21 by Kieran_Knows

Better get that statue back on order!

A statue of McKenna? Or Phil?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:28 - May 21 with 2024 viewsGuthrum

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:20 - May 21 by Europablue

These are not people doing jobs just for the money. They are attempting to succeed at the highest level possible - and believe they are capable of it. They are competitive sportsmen, just not directly on the pitch.

I'm not disputing what you say about the state of those clubs, but McKenna has been closer to the business than any of us*, with he and his agents/advisors/family being the only ones who know what (if anything) may actually be on offer. He is basing his decision on a clear picture, untainted by a fan's desperate desire for him to find any reason not to leave Ipswich.

* Excepting posters who have experience of playing or managing at a high level in the Prem.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:29 - May 21 with 1991 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Which would be a worse outcome, since at least the Brighton job has a current vacancy.

The sooner we can move on the better, whatever the outcome.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:30 - May 21 with 1950 viewsEuropablue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:26 - May 21 by hype313

Fair point and we're all looking at this through blue tinted specs, he's very much a data driven manager and if Brighton are best in class then can see the positives in that.

Still believe, taking off my blue tinted specs, that he has the keys to the kingdom here and the club will move mountains for him, the opportunities under this ownership are limitless.

Time will tell.

Hopefully the owners lay it on thick and make him commit to another season.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:30 - May 21 with 1943 viewsKieran_Knows

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:28 - May 21 by pointofblue

A statue of McKenna? Or Phil?

Both, either side of Sir Bobby.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:31 - May 21 with 1942 viewsBiGDonnie

We've promised him Omari on a permanent, haven't we?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:31 - May 21 with 1935 viewsjayessess

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:28 - May 21 by burnbudgiesburn

Think I need to get my head around the fact that a Robson/Burley type tenure is a thing of the past.

Median tenure at the moment is 252 days!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:33 - May 21 with 1885 viewsGuthrum

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:28 - May 21 by burnbudgiesburn

The higher you get, the more instantly success is required.

That might actually be a selling point in ITFC's favour.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:33 - May 21 with 1882 viewsGlasgowBlue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:09 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

Further to that last sentence, had further info which strengthens that impression.

Another Phil Ham masterstroke to drum up increased board traffic during the closed season.

You are the P.T. Barnum of football message boards.

[Post edited 21 May 14:34]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:34 - May 21 with 1874 viewsEuropablue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:34 - May 21 by PhilTWTD

As Mick McCarthy used to put it, you go from god to dog very quickly in football management. Opportunities which come up now might not in the future. Remember, George Burley went from Manager of the Year to being sacked with Town floundering in the second tier in less than 18 months.

With all due respect, George Burley suffered a perfect storm that led to relegation and administration. That won't happen again.
Farioli's odds have.... on 14:36 - May 21 with 1816 viewspointofblue

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:29 - May 21 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Which would be a worse outcome, since at least the Brighton job has a current vacancy.

The sooner we can move on the better, whatever the outcome.

Personally I think Chelsea would be wrong to move on from Pochettino now. He seems to have worked out the squad and had them trending in the right direction.

If Manchester United sack Ten Hag I think they’d be looking at a bigger name for now - maybe Tuchel?

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:38 - May 21 with 1758 viewsEuropablue

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 13:43 - May 21 by IP4_Blue

My gut is he leaves which will be gutting but I can't see how people don't see Brighton as an upgrade at the moment, they are 5 years ahead of us, it is the next step for McKenna to then go for real top jobs. I think we will catch Brighton but will take few years, which I don't think McKenna will want to wait

No-one is denying that Brighton are well ahead of us. KM could be the difference because with him in charge it wouldn't be too surprising if we finish above Brighton. With him at Brighton, maybe we will never catch them. With us KM is in at ground level he's helping to mould the club just as he wants it. Bloom will be much more prescriptive.
Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting.... on 14:41 - May 21 with 1703 viewsEuropablue

Yeah, that's the impression I'm getting.... on 13:49 - May 21 by itfcjoe

In 3 weeks time when Chelsea randomly bin off Poch we are going to wish he'd gone to Brighton

Even if KM left halfway through preseason it would be easier to take if he left for Chelsea or Utd. If he went to Chelsea, you'd imagine that he would be sacked within 9 months as they don't seem to be very supportive there. What they need is stability.
Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:43 - May 21 with 1665 viewsPhilTWTD

Potential next manager market if the worst was to happen on 14:33 - May 21 by GlasgowBlue

Another Phil Ham masterstroke to drum up increased board traffic during the closed season.

You are the P.T. Barnum of football message boards.

[Post edited 21 May 14:34]

Ha! If only I was so clever. What I really should do each summer is get the manager of the day in on it and split the profits.
Farioli's odds have.... on 14:51 - May 21 with 1531 viewsPhilTWTD

Farioli's odds have.... on 14:22 - May 21 by N2_Blue

You definitely stirred things up a bit after your commenst yesterday Phil. More people than not in my connections definitely were resigned to the fact he had gone to Brighton

Not intentionally and that was where I was as well. Not out of the woods by any means, but seems less probable than seemed to be the case yesterday, and even earlier this afternoon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024