Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Hughes 08:21 - May 10 with 3188 viewsitfcjoe

When he was linked with the ITFC jib some were saying no way, I personally don't think he'd even consider it.

But not sure why he has a rep as a bad manager, has done well in the PL

Final league positions after full seasons:
Blackburn - 15th, 6th, 10th, 7th
Man City - 10th then sacked in December after takeover
QPR - came in in Januray and kept them up, then sacked following November replaced by Redknapp
Fulham - 8th
Stoke - 9th, 9th, 9th, 13th

When he was sacked by Stoke this season they were 18th with 20 points from 22 games (0.91ppg), and after he left they have picked up 10 points from 15 games and been relegated.

When he was appointed at Southampton they had 28 points from 30 games (0.93ppg) and since going in have picked up 8 in 7 and have stayed up.

Bar QPR, and possibly Man City, he really hasn't done a bad job anywhere in the Premier League

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mark Hughes on 08:24 - May 10 with 3165 viewsSteve_M

No, in that regard he has done well. Some of the talk about the squad he left Stoke with, attitude as much as ability, reflects less well on him though.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mark Hughes on 08:27 - May 10 with 3140 viewsitfcjoe

Mark Hughes on 08:24 - May 10 by Steve_M

No, in that regard he has done well. Some of the talk about the squad he left Stoke with, attitude as much as ability, reflects less well on him though.

Some of that isn't great, but he did a brilliant job picking them up from a Pulis side and evolving them whilst never getting close to being dragged into anything.

Guess everything just went stale, and trying to move forward to stand still isn't the easiest to keep doing it season after season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mark Hughes on 08:39 - May 10 with 3078 viewsBluefish

More importantly he is still the best volleyer that I have ever seen

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Mark Hughes on 08:43 - May 10 with 3048 viewsGarv

Agreed. Way above our level unfortunately and you're right in saying he would look down on us.

Wouldn't say I'd necessarily choose him but he'd be an impressive appointment. Similar to Bruce who I'd have also had when he was out of work.

Up until this season, maybe back end of last, Stoke were a great side to watch and as you say had good finishes in recent years position wise.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Mark Hughes on 08:45 - May 10 with 3039 viewshype313

He does a job, you could say he has pigeonholed himself as a bit of a firefighter rather than someone who comes in with a vision and longer term plan.

He's ideal for any club in the PL getting Jittery around January facing a dogfight, Allardyce is similar in that respect.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mark Hughes on 09:01 - May 10 with 2995 viewsdavblue

he signed some big players for City in terms on their impact for the club over the last 10 years.

Kompany, Zabaleta.

He has also made some really poor signings at QPR especially.

Think his big issue at Stoke was letting go of some good pro's and having too many fancy dans in.
Mark Hughes on 09:06 - May 10 with 2979 viewsSomethingBlue

Agreed, I think a lot of the perceptions of Hughes arise because he's a bit antsy and defensive as a character. His career has been fine, he's definitely a Premier League manager.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mark Hughes on 09:07 - May 10 with 2974 viewsSuperfrans

He'd be a great appointment.

But he's at Southampton for the foreseeable now. Not even an option.
Plus he hasn't ever dropped down below the Premier League has he?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Hughes on 09:22 - May 10 with 2912 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Mark Hughes on 09:01 - May 10 by davblue

he signed some big players for City in terms on their impact for the club over the last 10 years.

Kompany, Zabaleta.

He has also made some really poor signings at QPR especially.

Think his big issue at Stoke was letting go of some good pro's and having too many fancy dans in.

My opinion of him is tarnished (probably unfairly) by his time at QPR, though they were, and have been such a mess for so long he probably wasn't as much at fault as I think he is.

He did a terrific job at Stoke, possibly his finest spell in management (except possibly Blackburn) he even signed some incredible players and found a way of them playing some exciting football whilst keeping them solid and hard to beat which they were under Pulis.

This season the fans use the sale of Walters as an example of how things went wrong. A dependable 6/10 every week replaced by players too hot & cold and not up for the fight when they found themselves in trouble. I expect Hughes will get Saints back up to around 10th again in the next couple of years, but whether he's learnt from his time at Stoke will be the measure of how long he'll last
Mark Hughes on 09:24 - May 10 with 2904 viewsSWGF

Mark Hughes on 08:39 - May 10 by Bluefish

I spent hours in my bedroom, with a balloon, trying to recreate his sideways bicycle kick for Wales v Spain:

In other news, he's still got it (or did while he was at Citeh):

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Mark Hughes on 09:25 - May 10 with 2898 viewsNo9

He's a whinger Joe
Mark Hughes on 09:31 - May 10 with 2883 viewsReuser_is_God

Any manager that isn’t Mick McCarthy is slated by some on this forum.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Mark Hughes on 10:24 - May 10 with 2801 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

It took a while but I think he ended up doing a bad job at Stoke - mid-table when he came in and left with them in the relegation zone. Perhaps similar to McCarthy in some ways in that the job he was doing became worse over time

Really though I think the problem is that he also hasn’t really done a particularly good job anywhere since Blackburn, with the possible exception of Fulham. He is incredibly unexciting - and in recent years seemed to setup against the big teams to not get spanked which resulted in an awful record against the top sides

Agree though that he wouldn’t have considered us - he was always going to offered another PL job to be average at, but then I guess Southampton have got what they needed from him so there you go

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mark Hughes on 10:38 - May 10 with 2761 viewsDanFord

Mark Hughes on 08:39 - May 10 by Bluefish

As a young man playing heads and volleys in the 80's, everyone else was Pele or Maradona and there was me being Mark Hughes because of his volleying. Only Hugo Sanchez was as good.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

Mark Hughes on 11:07 - May 10 with 2720 viewsDubtractor

Mark Hughes on 09:06 - May 10 by SomethingBlue

Agreed, I think a lot of the perceptions of Hughes arise because he's a bit antsy and defensive as a character. His career has been fine, he's definitely a Premier League manager.

Exactly my view.

Just doesn't seem a very likeable chap.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Mark Hughes on 23:39 - May 10 with 2526 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Stoke may have had three 9th place finishes but he's the main architect of their disaster this season. He has added some expensive failures to their ageing squad and no wonder they have been on the slide in the last two years.

No replacement found on Arnautovic either.

People say he's done fine at Southampton but he has inherited someone else's players. The quality of the strikers for example. The winning goal against Swansea was scored by 20m ex-Napoli striker while at Stoke his own 12m flop Berahino never scored a single goal.

Big headed overrated man although he could have been even worse as he could have blamed fans for his mistakes. It's fans' fault and we know it well.

What will his legacy be at Stoke? Relegation plus loads of useless expensive footballers on their wage bill that no-one will want. The only players that will leave for reasonable fees will be Butland, Shaqiri and Allen. The rest have been terrible signings that have contributed to their relegation and left them with dross on their books for years which will hamper any attempt to bounce back and may result in them stagnating for years in the Championship (maybe even League One).

Players like Berahino, Wimmer, Imbula and few others. Disaster that will have decided their fate. He did similar things whilst at QPR by spunking money on the wrong players.

Butland and Adam came out recently to slate publicly poor recruitment, farcical signings and lack of discipline. Yeah, he must be a 'fine' Premier League manager.

He may have get an extension to his Southampton contract and he'll do the same things in the next 2-3 years. Most likely by overspending on some Tottenham rejects or some 'gems' from French or Turkish league.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024