Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC 09:16 - Jul 3 with 3618 viewsLord_Lucan

I hope that the media et al don't shoot the opinion that it's because it was a poor WC and many teams were poor.

You can argue that Germany were poor and Brazil aren't what they were but other teams are filling the gap. France were great the other night and The Japanese were excellent (and very unlucky) against Belgium. If Japan were wearing gold, blue and white the media would have been wetting themselves over some of their play and one of their goals was a stunner.

It's more a case of a change of the guard.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:19 - Jul 3 with 3338 viewsJakeITFC

If England get close to winning the World Cup I will not give a single fucck what the media say.
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:19 - Jul 3 with 3335 viewshomer_123

I'd say it's the exact opposite. Teams are far more evenly matched (with the odd exception), add to that some strange approaches to matches (Spain expecting to simply roll people over) has meant there has been some cracking results.

It's a wide open WC but not because teams are poor.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:19 - Jul 3 with 3331 viewsBasuco

With scouts all over the World looking for talent, many Countries have players in all the big leagues and this is the most level World Cup for many years.
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:26 - Jul 3 with 3306 viewsBluefish

I'm with you LL, when we when this it is because we are the best side there. I don't care what anyone says, no one has ever analysed the opposition strength in the past when Germany, Brazil and France won. This world cup has 2 of the all time greats at it and they couldn't win it. It's coming home and in not jumping on a bandwagon I've said it from the start. Southgate has put a team together opposed to a load of players on a pitch. That wins tournaments.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:37 - Jul 3 with 3289 viewsFixed_It

I think if we win the World Cup we will go all out for a hard Brexit thinking we are invincible.

It will end in tears...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:37 - Jul 3 with 3290 viewsBlueBadger

I tell you what LL, this 'poor quality' WC has been the most entertaining international tournament in YEARS. Not having a go at you here, just an observation.
[Post edited 3 Jul 2018 9:40]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:42 - Jul 3 with 3270 viewsLord_Lucan

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:37 - Jul 3 by BlueBadger

I tell you what LL, this 'poor quality' WC has been the most entertaining international tournament in YEARS. Not having a go at you here, just an observation.

I agree, it is very refreshing.

What I am dreading is if we lose to Columbia in a thriller you just know what people are going to say.

I got in a taxi after the Belgium game and the first thing the driver said was "What the feck was that all about"

I didn't really bother conversing after that.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:50 - Jul 3 with 3242 viewsBlueBadger

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:42 - Jul 3 by Lord_Lucan

What I am dreading is if we lose to Columbia in a thriller you just know what people are going to say.

I got in a taxi after the Belgium game and the first thing the driver said was "What the feck was that all about"

End of the day, the history books would say 'England won the world cup', much like they do about Greece and Euro 2004 and tend to forget what a horrible, dull, negative team Greece were.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:54 - Jul 3 with 3221 viewsLord_Lucan

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:50 - Jul 3 by BlueBadger

End of the day, the history books would say 'England won the world cup', much like they do about Greece and Euro 2004 and tend to forget what a horrible, dull, negative team Greece were.

I'm glad you mentioned Greece as I was going to ask TWTD opinion on this.

I remember Greece winning it but my faded memory tells me that Greece were lucky and rubbish.

POWP though is half Greek and would cheer on Greece over England. He tells me that Greece were a fantastic team and were undefeated through the qualifying stages beating some big guns along the way. Maybe my memory has faded but I don't recall it like that.

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:57 - Jul 3 with 3214 viewsfooters

Media creates hype that we're real contenders. Media slams hype that England are going to get to quarters/semis/final.

Media slates England's chances. Media slates fans reluctant to #believe.

Load of old b0llocks. Thankfully most people have their heads screwed on and ignore the manufactured outrage/unrealistic expectations.

Lovely barby for me this eve as we cheer on Engerland. What time is it acceptable to start drinking again?

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:00 - Jul 3 with 3207 viewsjeera

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:54 - Jul 3 by Lord_Lucan

I'm glad you mentioned Greece as I was going to ask TWTD opinion on this.

I remember Greece winning it but my faded memory tells me that Greece were lucky and rubbish.

POWP though is half Greek and would cheer on Greece over England. He tells me that Greece were a fantastic team and were undefeated through the qualifying stages beating some big guns along the way. Maybe my memory has faded but I don't recall it like that.

Yeah, that could be the wine talking.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If we beat Colombia on 10:01 - Jul 3 with 3206 viewsunstableblue

then we will have had a great world cup and can come back with our heads held high

they are a good team, who are well managed

I think if we will lose then Russia will have been a positive experience for the players, but probably a disappointing outcome as I think Panama were very poor. Tunisia were a good test.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

If we beat Colombia on 10:05 - Jul 3 with 3191 viewsjeera

If we beat Colombia on 10:01 - Jul 3 by unstableblue

then we will have had a great world cup and can come back with our heads held high

they are a good team, who are well managed

I think if we will lose then Russia will have been a positive experience for the players, but probably a disappointing outcome as I think Panama were very poor. Tunisia were a good test.

I'll be happy if we win tonight, regardless of the next round's outcome.

Like you say, good experience and time to build on that, we could be pretty strong come the next couple of tournaments.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:10 - Jul 3 with 3175 viewsGuthrum

If we get to the semi-finals, or further, any excitement will be tinged with just a little bit of sadness that another piece of Ipswich history has gone - that of having produced the two most successful England managers in World Cup history.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:29 - Jul 3 with 3145 viewsWD19

If England ever do win the World Cup then when our grand-kids are discussing it 50 years hence they won't reference the fact that some other teams had a relatively poor tournament.

And all the media men that wrote the guff will be dead.
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:35 - Jul 3 with 3129 viewsDanFord

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:10 - Jul 3 by Guthrum

If we get to the semi-finals, or further, any excitement will be tinged with just a little bit of sadness that another piece of Ipswich history has gone - that of having produced the two most successful England managers in World Cup history.

Even worse than that Guthrum. If we won the world cup and Kane took the golden boot, Norwich would no doubt claim they'd won us the world cup.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:36 - Jul 3 with 3126 viewsGarv

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:29 - Jul 3 by WD19

If England ever do win the World Cup then when our grand-kids are discussing it 50 years hence they won't reference the fact that some other teams had a relatively poor tournament.

And all the media men that wrote the guff will be dead.

Or women...

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:38 - Jul 3 with 3119 viewsWD19

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:36 - Jul 3 by Garv

Or women...

They live longer. Statistically. So they will be sitting in plastic chairs smelling of piss.
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:40 - Jul 3 with 3113 viewsHurleyBurley

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:42 - Jul 3 by Lord_Lucan

Poll: World Cup final: Who do you WANT to win?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:44 - Jul 3 with 3096 viewsBluefish

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:40 - Jul 3 by HurleyBurley

It is England not Angleterre or Inglaterra

F*** em we'll call em what we want and beat them 3-0

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:45 - Jul 3 with 3095 viewsHennikerBlu

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:19 - Jul 3 by homer_123

I'd say it's the exact opposite. Teams are far more evenly matched (with the odd exception), add to that some strange approaches to matches (Spain expecting to simply roll people over) has meant there has been some cracking results.

It's a wide open WC but not because teams are poor.

Largely agree with the closing in quality, coaching has got better, fitness and work rate. I would add that decent strikers are still at a premium and make all the difference in the WC as they do in league football. Cavani has been my pick for his excellent work rate and quality finishing. Spain had so little movement and interchanging of positions, it looked almost un-Spanish and they got what they deserved.

Good goalkeepers also have a massive impact, I think if Japan had a more commanding keeper they would have not looked so vulnerable. I think one other aspect has to be mental strength, to Belgium's credit, they showed that, as England did in the '90 WC. It will be this aspect that will define England's WC.
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 11:07 - Jul 3 with 3052 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 09:37 - Jul 3 by BlueBadger

I honestly didn’t know I could enjoy international football this much.

I’m absolutely lovin it

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 11:44 - Jul 3 with 2976 viewssolemio

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:44 - Jul 3 by Bluefish

It is England not Angleterre or Inglaterra

F*** em we'll call em what we want and beat them 3-0

Of course. It's always better to be wrong than correct.
If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 11:50 - Jul 3 with 2947 viewsGeoffSentence

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 10:10 - Jul 3 by Guthrum

It's a bit of a consolation I know, but it turns out that he runs for Stowmarket Athletics Club

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=544644

So Suffolk will still have produced England's three finest world cup managers.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 13:52 - Jul 3 with 2788 viewsBlueBadger

If by a major miracle England get close to winning The WC on 11:07 - Jul 3 by The_Romford_Blue

I honestly didn’t know I could enjoy international football this much.

I’m absolutely lovin it

i am actually looking forward to tonight's game. Rather than thinking 'well, if I get the tea done I might amble down the pub and catch the second half' I'm thinking 'what can I cook that's quick tonight so's I can be clutching a pint by kick-off?'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024