Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user 20:58 - Nov 4 with 5026 viewsMullet

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/luton-airport-wheelchair-pa

Pretty baffling that the best they could do in this day and age was ignore him and insist "we'll just push you in this" was enough. Seems he made it pretty clear why he needed his custom chair too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:05 - Nov 4 with 4026 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't really know what they were expected to do.

They lost his chair... very bad. But it's not like they would have a replica in stock.

I don't think they 'forced' him to drag himself along the floor.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 21:08]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:13 - Nov 4 with 4008 viewsGeoffSentence

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:05 - Nov 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

They lost his chair... very bad. But it's not like they would have a replica in stock.

Difficult situation for all involved, I think he may have been making a point by dragging himself through the airport. One which has been well made judging by the coverage this has got.

I am surprised that the airport didn't have a motorised buggy though, I assume they mean those buggy things that beep as they are driven along. Maybe his protest will get them to invest in a few.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:16 - Nov 4 with 3998 viewsm14_blue

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:05 - Nov 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

And surely it would be the airline at fault for losing his chair rather than the airport?

Seems like he's taking the opportunity to make a point about the wider issue, which is fair enough, but does seem a little harsh on Luton Airport, who certainly didn't force' him to drag himself through the terminal.
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:22 - Nov 4 with 3978 viewsFtnfwest

I think he was saying that the chair offered could have quickly given him pressure sores. Although the luggage trolley he sat on and self pushed for part of the journey for some reason wasn’t a worry in this regard
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:25 - Nov 4 with 3962 viewstabletopjoe

Luton airport are not responsible for a man's 'independent struggle' -- that's up to him

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:31 - Nov 4 with 3955 viewsSuperblue95

So him being pushed in a high backed wheelchair would have made him feel degraded but dragging himself through the terminal and riding on a luggage trolley wasnt going to do that?

Sh1tty that his custom chair was lost but I think it's clear the man is a bit of a bellend

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:39 - Nov 4 with 3925 viewsGuthrum

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:31 - Nov 4 by Superblue95

So him being pushed in a high backed wheelchair would have made him feel degraded but dragging himself through the terminal and riding on a luggage trolley wasnt going to do that?

Sh1tty that his custom chair was lost but I think it's clear the man is a bit of a bellend

It's about autonomous self-propulsion as against being wheeled around like a piece of baggage, to put a different spin on the situation. Human dignity vs inanimate object.

It could also be argued that, when in a position of needing help, some compromises may have to be made.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:47 - Nov 4 with 3894 viewsPinewoodblue

Ryanair have history as far as wheelchair users are concerned, Google to check.

My wife is a wheelchair user and in the past has needed assistance from check in to aircraft seat. Stanstead have excellent facilities but at smaller airports it is a bit Heath Robinson. We flew to Derry in January. The aircraft was an Embraer 145, less than fifty seats. She could not use the aircraft steps so they wheeled a locally fabricated step ladder on wheels, with safety rails, to the service door. She was then manoeuvred down the steps in a narrow wheelchair that fits the aircraft aisle. Three fireman, one in front, one behind, and the third giving instructions as she was 'bounced' down the steps one by one. Same in reverse for the return journey.

When I pointed out the equipment being wheeled over to the aircraft she said "I'm not going down on that" steward said oh yes you are. We are doing the same trip next January. Thankfully she will now be able to shuffle down the aircraft aisle to her seat, something she could not do this year.

There is always the fear that something will go wrong, that the wheelchair will be damaged, it was made to measure, or be left behind somee where. We are off to Florida March to an airport we have not used before. Gatwick like to use a golf cart to transport you to the plane but no way are we leaving the wheelchair at bag drop.

Suspect the Luton chap is taking action against the airport for discrimination agsinst disabled. Sadly too many institutions and businesses only pay lip service to their responsibilities. We had to cancel holidays last year due to lack of facilities losing deposits.

Edit just noticed have two ads for wheelchairs when looking at this thread!
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 21:51]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:56 - Nov 4 with 3860 viewsGarv

Agreed. It's rubbish but accept the only reasonable offer and get on with it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:57 - Nov 4 with 3869 viewsSporall

My thoughts exactly. The tool clearly wants publicity and compensation, and in this pc mad world no doubt expects no negativity for his attention seeking action.
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:59 - Nov 4 with 3854 viewsSuperblue95

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:39 - Nov 4 by Guthrum

It's about autonomous self-propulsion as against being wheeled around like a piece of baggage, to put a different spin on the situation. Human dignity vs inanimate object.

It could also be argued that, when in a position of needing help, some compromises may have to be made.

I get your point and thankfully I have no idea what it's like to be in his situation but it does seem like he's made a horrible situation worse for himself through his stubbornness.

Suing the airport on top as opposed to the airline seems an odd move too

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 22:05 - Nov 4 with 3831 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:57 - Nov 4 by Sporall

My thoughts exactly. The tool clearly wants publicity and compensation, and in this pc mad world no doubt expects no negativity for his attention seeking action.

I have to agree that he wasn't forced into that course of action, and it was attention seeking behaviour.

...although I guess he will achieve his aim.

Wonder who will pay his legal fees, because it's going to cost him a few quid to fight such a flimsy case.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 22:07 - Nov 4 with 3825 viewsMoriarty

His solicitor says it’s not about the money. He should be held to that.

Maybe the airports solicitor should write an open letter noting that as money/compo isn’t an issue, the Airport will buy the equipment rather than waste money on legal costs etc if he’s happy with that.

Or, as it’s not about money for him, if he does get compo, will he donate all of it to wheelchair support groups?

In anticipation.

fka omuircheartaigh

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 22:07 - Nov 4 with 3812 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:22 - Nov 4 by Ftnfwest

I think he was saying that the chair offered could have quickly given him pressure sores. Although the luggage trolley he sat on and self pushed for part of the journey for some reason wasn’t a worry in this regard

His mate who got it all on camera could have pushed too...

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 22:10 - Nov 4 with 3802 viewsGuthrum

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 21:59 - Nov 4 by Superblue95

I get your point and thankfully I have no idea what it's like to be in his situation but it does seem like he's made a horrible situation worse for himself through his stubbornness.

Suing the airport on top as opposed to the airline seems an odd move too

He's suing the airport because they did not make (in his view) adequate provision in case such a situation arose. They would presumably argue they had, with wheelchairs of some sort (albeit not autonomously propelled) available.

There might even be insurance considerations with lending someone a wheelchair if they subsequently got injured using it without staff supervision.

Or the customer service may have been inadequate and unsympathetic to his plight.

Who knows? These things are rarely straightforward.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 23:36 - Nov 4 with 3716 viewsBlueBadger

God forbid we actually allow disabled people dignity and independence, eh?

Whatever way you look at this, it's needless, avoidable dickery from the airline and he's totally right to be showing them up on their bullsh1t.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 23:37]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 23:51 - Nov 4 with 3700 viewsFrimleyBlue

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 23:36 - Nov 4 by BlueBadger

Whatever way you look at this, it's needless, avoidable dickery from the airline and he's totally right to be showing them up on their bullsh1t.

Avoidable dickery for offering a wheelchair?

Jesus. Get in the wheelchair. Get home. Sort out the issue with the lost one which is the airlines issue not the airport.

You don't get pressure sores from what a more than likely 10 minute push to the exit?

Just a man getting fame. Shame on him.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 01:13 - Nov 5 with 3638 viewsjeera

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 23:51 - Nov 4 by FrimleyBlue

Jesus. Get in the wheelchair. Get home. Sort out the issue with the lost one which is the airlines issue not the airport.

You don't get pressure sores from what a more than likely 10 minute push to the exit?

"Just a man getting fame. Shame on him."

Or a man who has to deal with things you can not begin to understand.

Shame on you.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 06:11 - Nov 5 with 3541 viewsBenters2

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 23:51 - Nov 4 by FrimleyBlue

It must have been awful for him losing his wheelchair,but there wasnt no need for him to drag himself along was there.
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 07:18 - Nov 5 with 3488 viewsFrimleyBlue

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 01:13 - Nov 5 by jeera

"Just a man getting fame. Shame on him."

Or a man who has to deal with things you can not begin to understand.

Shame on you.

Oh yeah he must be really precious dragging himself long the floor. Look at me everyone I'm making a point.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 07:20 - Nov 5 with 3486 viewswkj

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 07:18 - Nov 5 by FrimleyBlue

Oh yeah he must be really precious dragging himself long the floor. Look at me everyone I'm making a point.

Clearly you are deluded in thinking that, no one looks at anyone else in airports

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 07:59 - Nov 5 with 3414 viewsSporall

He was offered the most dignified solution available. He chose to act in the most undignified manner.

I don't think anyone is arguing he shouldn't be put in that position, but the way he responded is attention seeking idiocy.
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 09:26 - Nov 5 with 3333 viewsgiant_stow

Interesting how many others in wheel chairs seem to back him up.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 09:51 - Nov 5 with 3287 viewsmanchego

The airport didn’t lose his chair. The airline did. Isn’t he going to get worse pressure sores doing what he did compared to using the wrong chair ?
Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 10:00 - Nov 5 with 3278 viewsPinewoodblue

Luton airport getting sued by a wheelchair user on 09:26 - Nov 5 by giant_stow

Interesting how many others in wheel chairs seem to back him up.

The attitude of many in this thread highlights a real problem in our society. Why should disabled, or any other minority that needs specific assistance, have to make do. Luton Airport, like any other institution or business, have legal obligation to meet the needs of disabled. expecting people to make do isn't good enough.

The action of this guy will bring the problem into the public domain and will result in those responsible providing the facilities, and assistance, they should have already been providing.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024