Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. 10:24 - Dec 17 with 5850 viewsPinewoodblue

If he gets his way can we have a second Chilcott enquiry as we didn't like the outcome of the first one.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:25 - Dec 17 with 3241 viewsSomethingBlue

Whatever you — or I — think of Blair he is right, and the "what about Iraq" that tends to be Brexiters' only response to him sums that up better than anything.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:33 - Dec 17 with 3196 viewsHerbivore

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:25 - Dec 17 by SomethingBlue

Whatever you — or I — think of Blair he is right, and the "what about Iraq" that tends to be Brexiters' only response to him sums that up better than anything.

Part of me really wishes Blair would keep out of it though, he is so hated by a decent chunk of the public that his backing for a second referendum and for remain doesn't help the cause. That said when the opposition are sat quietly on the side lines I guess he feels someone should be saying something.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:35 - Dec 17 with 3191 viewsSomethingBlue

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:33 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

Part of me really wishes Blair would keep out of it though, he is so hated by a decent chunk of the public that his backing for a second referendum and for remain doesn't help the cause. That said when the opposition are sat quietly on the side lines I guess he feels someone should be saying something.

Yes the baggage Blair carries is very unfortunate because it's what people will snap back with even though it's entirely irrelevant to the gravely serious matter at hand. But as you suggest he's a zillion times more statesmanlike than Corbyn and probably knows it.

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:35 - Dec 17 with 3189 viewsLord_Lucan

Who said he is right?

Everything is a matter of opinion.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:36 - Dec 17 with 3177 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Blair should concentrate all his efforts into his mult million pounds property portfolio
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 10:40]

Gus Uhlenbeek

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:37 - Dec 17 with 3183 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Labour party wouldn't be trailing a government in crisis by 4 points in the latest opinion poll if Blair was still leader.

He's head and shoulders above both the current PM and the current leader of the opposition.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 10:37]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:40 - Dec 17 with 3162 viewsGuthrum

I'm not convinced he is right about a second referendum. I think it will muddy the waters as badly as the Parliamentary vote has done and merely waste more time.

It doesn't help the the trope of "May's deal is a bad deal" has really caught on, without people having looked at what the deal actually amounts to. All promoted by the illusion of an eternal backstop situation promoted by those who don't want any deal at all and the partisan DUP.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:46 - Dec 17 with 3125 viewsSomethingBlue

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:37 - Dec 17 by GlasgowBlue

The Labour party wouldn't be trailing a government in crisis by 4 points in the latest opinion poll if Blair was still leader.

He's head and shoulders above both the current PM and the current leader of the opposition.

Completely agree.

Login to get fewer ads

on 10:47 - Dec 17 with 3111 views_

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:51 - Dec 17 with 3110 viewsSomethingBlue

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:40 - Dec 17 by Guthrum

I'm not convinced he is right about a second referendum. I think it will muddy the waters as badly as the Parliamentary vote has done and merely waste more time.

It doesn't help the the trope of "May's deal is a bad deal" has really caught on, without people having looked at what the deal actually amounts to. All promoted by the illusion of an eternal backstop situation promoted by those who don't want any deal at all and the partisan DUP.

As far as a waste of time is concerned - if it takes another year to make sure we're not fcuked for the next 50 I'm ok with that.

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:51 - Dec 17 with 3105 viewsmonytowbray

Yeah, everyone loves a good war criminal.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:54 - Dec 17 with 3096 viewsFixed_It

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:51 - Dec 17 by monytowbray

A lazy slur.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:56 - Dec 17 with 3083 viewsGlasgowBlue

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:51 - Dec 17 by monytowbray

I must have missed his trial in the Hague

Iron Lion Zion

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:57 - Dec 17 with 3075 viewsmonytowbray

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:54 - Dec 17 by Fixed_It

A lazy slur.

No, I make it pretty spot on.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:58 - Dec 17 with 3072 viewsGlasgowBlue

Your last paragraph is spot on. We have hard leavers who would prefer no deal to May's deal and hard remainers who would prefer reamining to May's deal and neither side look like compromising.

Iron Lion Zion

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:13 - Dec 17 with 3020 viewsCurrie10

How this “ man “ is not in prison remains a mystery.

Still ‘ for the people ‘ Tony can pick one of his many houses to live in.

Absolute melt.
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:14 - Dec 17 with 3023 viewsSteve_M

I've had a good read about what it entails and it's a crap deal. It's the result of May only caring about ending Freedom of Movement (which she is selling to the British public with glee) so it focuses on goods and ignores services. Not only are services more important to the UK economy now but they are often indivisible from goods.

This deal is also only a Withdrawal Agreement, there needs to be much more negotiation over future trade deals and that is all supposed to happen in two years. It's obvious from the last two that there is no likelihood of that happening and once we are out of the EU we have even less leverage during that period.

I can't see it as representing any sort of consensus outcome to a divided country so think the least economically damaging route out is required. If the country is markedly poorer then most people won't sanguinely think "Oh well, it's what we voted for".

A second referendum will be messy but that's were we are now. May's failure to make clear that choices incur costs as led to this impasse, but in that she just followed the Leave campaign.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:15 - Dec 17 with 3016 viewsCurrie10

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:33 - Dec 17 by Herbivore

There won’t be a second one.

Agree though carry on talking Tony, you are hated by many.
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:15 - Dec 17 with 3010 viewsNo9

Like Tony Blair or not he's the most competent in political circles the UK has had since the 70's.
People don't like his success & I'm sure he would never have put the UK in the embarrassing place it is now.
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:17 - Dec 17 with 3014 viewsWhymarkmariner

Blair needs to butt out.In my opinion, he's a shyster. I'd like to know how someone on a Prime Ministers wage ends up with heavens knows how many houses in prime positions and millions in the bank. There's only one reason Blair and John Major and a few of these other cronies want to stay in Europe and that's because if we come out the gravy train hits the buffers. If it was genuinely for our good and maybe it might be I would be the first to back them, but I honestly believe their intentions are self motivated.
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:18 - Dec 17 with 3007 viewsSomethingBlue

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:17 - Dec 17 by Whymarkmariner

Blair needs to butt out.In my opinion, he's a shyster. I'd like to know how someone on a Prime Ministers wage ends up with heavens knows how many houses in prime positions and millions in the bank. There's only one reason Blair and John Major and a few of these other cronies want to stay in Europe and that's because if we come out the gravy train hits the buffers. If it was genuinely for our good and maybe it might be I would be the first to back them, but I honestly believe their intentions are self motivated.

And what do you think Rees-Mogg and Johnson's intentions are, by contrast?

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:21 - Dec 17 with 2995 viewsNo9

May's deal is her idea of a deal.
The real issue here is that she has to try and appease 3 sides of her party.
& why should the other 27 change their rules because she is incompetent?
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:35 - Dec 17 with 2960 viewsRegencyBlue

I think they might be!

Blairs sanctimonious "I know best act" wore very thin a long time ago. In addition his Iraq legacy makes him hated by many.

The bottom line here is that he is just another politician who is happy with democracy as long as the plebs vote the way he wants them to!
Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:52 - Dec 17 with 2901 viewsFixed_It

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 10:56 - Dec 17 by GlasgowBlue

I must have missed his trial in the Hague

Me too. Although presumably 'trial by Daily Mail' carries as much clout with some...
[Post edited 17 Dec 2018 11:52]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Tony Blair wants a second referendum. on 11:55 - Dec 17 with 2881 viewsjaseitfc

The more Blair involves himself the stronger chance leave will have to winning again.

A lot is said about remain now having enough support to win a second ref, I'm not convinced though to be honest based on

1) leave campaigners have basically downed tools since 2016, whereas remain have mobilised- if leave were to remobilise with the powerful message of the government trying to suppress the 2016 vote they may well win more hearts and minds than 2016

2) remain has the momentum now vs a basically non existent leave campaign, it may be too early to keep it.

3) polls were wrong last time and they too indicates a narrow remain win

Of course this assumes we ask remain v leave again; I think we may have to ask deal or no deal , or deal or remain

If it's the second option then leavers will boycott it throwing things into a further mess.

I'm against a second ref in principle but if there is one I'll vote to remain
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024