Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting thread re the General Election 15:19 - Oct 29 with 6893 viewsitfcjoe

By Glen O'hara on Twitter @gsoh31

Really think the Tories are in the midst of the most terrible error. Huge risks in a GE. Remainers' last chance - they may well coalesce around Labour, and vote tactically.

Corbyn the campaigner. Just like in 2017, they're riding to his rescue when he's at his lowest ebb. He wants to get out and give speeches about austerity. It will re-energise him. They've got him hemmed in, and they're about to let him out of his box.

SNP and Lib Dem risk. Tories may do better in Scotland than they fear, but they're going to lose at least 5, maybe up to 10/11 seats there - and c15-20 in suburban London/ England to the LDs.

Sticky Labour voters. As soon as the GE is announced, Lab numbers will rise as d/k and won't vote return 'home'. And are the people of Wrexham, Blackpool, Grimsby really going to compensate BoJo for losing 30 seats to SNP/ LD? I doubt it.

Labour campaigning. The public like nationalisation and the abolition of tuition fees. Yes #Brexit election, but those policies will now get another airing. And 400k+ members will make a splash.

Huge uncertainty. Look at any proper evidence, and it says 'the public don't know what to think'. Massive % of don't know. You're about to force them to decide. I'm willing to bet that a pretty detested ten-year-old govt won't come off well.

This is the *classic* bully's error - overconfidence, sloppiness, lack of empathy, failure to prepare, big picture guff. I have to say that I don't give the Tories more than a 30%, 40% chance of holding on.

Think it's quite interesting, Tories will have to win a majority to stay in Government and can anyone see anything but a Hung parliament? Some sort of Labour, Lib Dem, SNP, Green 'Progressive Coalition' could get the numbers and then we are in a much better position

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:21 - Oct 29 with 4147 viewsSpruceMoose

I'd have an easier time coalescing around a Corbyn lead Labour party if I genuinely thought he wanted to remain.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:23 - Oct 29 with 4131 viewsSteve_M

I've just read the piece where he expands that into an article:

https://capx.co/why-boris-election-gamble-could-backfire/

There's an awful lot up for grabs this time, the last two General Elections have been particularly volatile and people will vote as tactically as they can with two unpopular leaders of the biggest parties.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:25 - Oct 29 with 4119 viewsStokieBlue

An awful lot of hearsay in that post and totally ignores the polling.

Not sure you can have a progressive alliance when JC isn't really that keen on remaining and might even poll against a deal he negotiates. It also makes no mention of the fact that outside of his network JC is very unpopular (look at the leader polling).

SB
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 15:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:27 - Oct 29 with 4099 viewsPinewoodblue

What would be interesting is if Lab /Libdem/Greens put up a joint candidate against Boris.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:29 - Oct 29 with 4079 viewsSpruceMoose

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:27 - Oct 29 by Pinewoodblue

What would be interesting is if Lab /Libdem/Greens put up a joint candidate against Boris.

Imagine that, putting self interest aside for the national good.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:30 - Oct 29 with 4072 viewsgiant_stow

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:25 - Oct 29 by StokieBlue

Not sure you can have a progressive alliance when JC isn't really that keen on remaining and might even poll against a deal he negotiates. It also makes no mention of the fact that outside of his network JC is very unpopular (look at the leader polling).

SB

True, but not sure reaminers have a lot of choice?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:33 - Oct 29 with 4061 viewsgiant_stow

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:23 - Oct 29 by Steve_M

I've just read the piece where he expands that into an article:

https://capx.co/why-boris-election-gamble-could-backfire/

There's an awful lot up for grabs this time, the last two General Elections have been particularly volatile and people will vote as tactically as they can with two unpopular leaders of the biggest parties.

nice new website to add to the list -ta.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:36 - Oct 29 with 4055 viewsStokieBlue

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:30 - Oct 29 by giant_stow

True, but not sure reaminers have a lot of choice?

Well they have the Lib Dems if they are pure remainers but as you say, in many constituencies that won't help.

Labour haven't shown any sign of being the party of remain over the last 3 years with JC in charge.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:37 - Oct 29 with 4045 viewsitfcjoe

SB

At the moment a Brexit deal negotiaited by Corbyn (Customs Union) which would be put back to the people is far more Progressive than Boris Johnson bludgeoning a Hard Brexit deal through

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:42 - Oct 29 with 4026 viewsGeoffSentence

"Remainers' last chance - they may well coalesce around Labour, and vote tactically."

This is why a GE is such a bad idea for sorting out this mess. A GE is about so much more than one issue, and there will be people who vote just on this one thing rather than all the other important matters for the next parliament.

Another referendum - remain vs the deal is the only way out.

Then a GE to vote on all the other stuff.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:59 - Oct 29 with 3970 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting thread re the General Election on 15:21 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

I'd have an easier time coalescing around a Corbyn lead Labour party if I genuinely thought he wanted to remain.

Well, quite. The only 'Remainer' party availbale across the whole of the UK is the LD.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:01 - Oct 29 with 3961 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not sure whether it's been mentioned before, but it's a bt of a shame theat Heidi Allen is stepping dow due to the abuse she gets. We shouuldn't be letting the morons win, but then that's easy for me to say as I'm not getting rape and death threats or whatever she's had to put up with.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:05 - Oct 29 with 3956 viewsMullet

Anything which ensures the Tories get the full backlash for what they've done gets my vote, so that's not really clear at the minute is it?

Can't trust the Lib Dems ever again, Corbyn is better suited to some sort of banana republic with the climate for tweed and berets. It's a mess.

By rights the traitors in government who have been banding that word around and riding on some imaginary spitfire to the past that never existed should be ground to dust in any meaningful vote. They won't though. We'll have years of austerity and excuses as to why Jeremy is to blame.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:06 - Oct 29 with 3953 viewsGuthrum

Why would the Remain vote coalesce around Labour, a party which officially espouses leaving the EU?

Rather than, say, the LibDems?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 16:07]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:11 - Oct 29 with 3922 viewsfooters

Whether Corbyn wants to leave or remain is irrelevant in terms of the Labour Party though, as its policy is dictacted by members and conference. Hence why their position isn't as straightforward as some would like. But that's the price of democracy.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:14 - Oct 29 with 3901 viewsitfcjoe

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:06 - Oct 29 by Guthrum

Why would the Remain vote coalesce around Labour, a party which officially espouses leaving the EU?

Rather than, say, the LibDems?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 16:07]

They did in 2017, and tactical voting very much a thing now (sure it always has been)

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:15 - Oct 29 with 3897 viewsSpruceMoose

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:11 - Oct 29 by footers

Whether Corbyn wants to leave or remain is irrelevant in terms of the Labour Party though, as its policy is dictacted by members and conference. Hence why their position isn't as straightforward as some would like. But that's the price of democracy.

You know far more about this than me Footers old boy.

I was under the impression the vast majority of Labour's membership were out and proud Remainers gagging for a second ref?

Have I got that wrong? If not, how come they haven't been able to enforce that desire on the messages coming out from the top of the party yet?

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:17 - Oct 29 with 3881 viewsfooters

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:15 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

You know far more about this than me Footers old boy.

I was under the impression the vast majority of Labour's membership were out and proud Remainers gagging for a second ref?

Have I got that wrong? If not, how come they haven't been able to enforce that desire on the messages coming out from the top of the party yet?

Because of traditional Labour seats oop norf wanting to leave. They just can't please everyone in the party, which is how we've come to a bit of a fudge on it. Can Labour risk alienating those voters? Think a second referendum is a sensible, democratic way of settling it, tbh. But of course the Brexit wags will call it treachery etc.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 16:17]

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:18 - Oct 29 with 3873 viewsSpruceMoose

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:17 - Oct 29 by footers

Because of traditional Labour seats oop norf wanting to leave. They just can't please everyone in the party, which is how we've come to a bit of a fudge on it. Can Labour risk alienating those voters? Think a second referendum is a sensible, democratic way of settling it, tbh. But of course the Brexit wags will call it treachery etc.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2019 16:17]

I see.

That all makes sense. No wonder you left for the Brexit Party lad!

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:18 - Oct 29 with 3874 viewsvilanovablue

SB

I genuinely don't believe the polls tells us anything at this stage. The Conservatives have stage managed keeping Johnson out of the press so far. During an election campaign he will have to come out into the open and I think that might cause him a few problems and expose his weakness at answering questions when properly challenged. In the same was as May I genuinely believe the campaign will be bad for him.

I think Labour have an uphill battle but worry we'll end up with a hung parliament again which helps nobody and probably further exposes the divisions in the country.
Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:19 - Oct 29 with 3861 viewsSpruceMoose

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:18 - Oct 29 by vilanovablue

I genuinely don't believe the polls tells us anything at this stage. The Conservatives have stage managed keeping Johnson out of the press so far. During an election campaign he will have to come out into the open and I think that might cause him a few problems and expose his weakness at answering questions when properly challenged. In the same was as May I genuinely believe the campaign will be bad for him.

I think Labour have an uphill battle but worry we'll end up with a hung parliament again which helps nobody and probably further exposes the divisions in the country.

Let's just have a second referendum and be done with it.

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:22 - Oct 29 with 3838 viewsGaryCooper

He is a Bennite, he wants no part of the EU, still silly remainers support him by voting for the party he leads.
Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:22 - Oct 29 with 3836 viewsfooters

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:18 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

I see.

That all makes sense. No wonder you left for the Brexit Party lad!

Bloody hell. I've been in the Communist Party, Brexit Party, Labour Party and god-knows what other parties today!

Must make me mind up...

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:23 - Oct 29 with 3830 viewsSpruceMoose

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:22 - Oct 29 by GaryCooper

He is a Bennite, he wants no part of the EU, still silly remainers support him by voting for the party he leads.

I think Footers attempt at explaining the situation is better than yours.

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:25 - Oct 29 with 3818 viewsfooters

Interesting thread re the General Election on 16:23 - Oct 29 by SpruceMoose

I think Footers attempt at explaining the situation is better than yours.

And I think his former guise of imsureazure was slightly funnier. But it's a game of opinions I spose.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024