Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching 1917.. inspired me... 10:54 - Jan 29 with 5066 viewsunstableblue

.... to watch Dunkirk again. Dunkirk is a masterpiece of a film. Well worth a revisit or a first watch if you haven't seen it.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:05 - Jan 29 with 4140 viewsGuthrum

Haven't seen 1917 yet, but am afraid I wasn't that impressed with Dunkirk. Too few people about on the beaches and there's the implausibly extended gliding Spitfire sequence.

For recent wartime films, Anthropoid was very well done.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 11:13]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:10 - Jan 29 with 4127 viewsLord_Lucan

Alan Brazil wasn't keen on Dunkirk as there weren't hundreds of Spitfires crushing The Hun.

I'm not sure if he did history at school.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:38 - Jan 29 with 4076 viewsunstableblue

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:05 - Jan 29 by Guthrum

Haven't seen 1917 yet, but am afraid I wasn't that impressed with Dunkirk. Too few people about on the beaches and there's the implausibly extended gliding Spitfire sequence.

Thought Dunkirk was superb, intense and moving. I do know what you mean about the scale, interesting photo from operation dynamo below:

Will check out Anthropoid.. that passed me by.. thanks

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:51 - Jan 29 with 4056 viewsLord_Lucan

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:38 - Jan 29 by unstableblue

Thought Dunkirk was superb, intense and moving. I do know what you mean about the scale, interesting photo from operation dynamo below:

Will check out Anthropoid.. that passed me by.. thanks

My grandad was on a boat in Dunkirk and walked to the other side to have a crafty fag and the boat then got hit where he was previously standing.

Lucan was nearly a non starter.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:59 - Jan 29 with 4028 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 11:51 - Jan 29 by Lord_Lucan

My grandad was on a boat in Dunkirk and walked to the other side to have a crafty fag and the boat then got hit where he was previously standing.

Lucan was nearly a non starter.

That’s a great story. And yet more evidence that smoking is actually good for you

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:04 - Jan 29 with 4019 viewsHARRY10

It's worth spending 10 mins watching this short documentary on a rather forgotten part of the Dunkirk story

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:37 - Jan 29 with 3974 viewsIllinoisblue

Fully agree. Thought Dunkirk was hugely disappointing. We never get to know the characters so why should we care about them?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:45 - Jan 29 with 3955 viewsGuthrum

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:04 - Jan 29 by HARRY10

It's worth spending 10 mins watching this short documentary on a rather forgotten part of the Dunkirk story

Indeed. About 100,000 of the troops evacuated from Dunkirk were French.

Also largely forgotten were the other evacuations along the coast, for example at Calais.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:57 - Jan 29 with 3940 viewsdavblue

Dunkirk didn't do it for me and im a big fan of Christopher Nolan.

Thought it was rather characterless. Visually fantastic and really well made.
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 13:06 - Jan 29 with 3921 viewsfactual_blue

The town of Dunkirk in the opening scenes was far too neat and tidy.

The railway carriages the troops were in towards the end of the film weren't 1940s ones.

The other Dunkirk film with John Mills (directed by Barry Norman's dad) is way better.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 13:10 - Jan 29 with 3915 viewsflimflam

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:57 - Jan 29 by davblue

Dunkirk didn't do it for me and im a big fan of Christopher Nolan.

Thought it was rather characterless. Visually fantastic and really well made.

That sums up my feelings on 1917 exactly.

Thought it was excellent in places but tedious in lots of others.

Dont really understand the hype.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 13:19 - Jan 29 with 3881 viewsHARRY10

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:45 - Jan 29 by Guthrum

Indeed. About 100,000 of the troops evacuated from Dunkirk were French.

Also largely forgotten were the other evacuations along the coast, for example at Calais.

It was around 140,00 Fench and Belgian troops out of a total of 340,000. - lessthan 30% who were taken off the beaches.

For aound four days the French navy had been taking Brtish troops over French troops, the view being that the French could hold the defence while the British escaped. It is never mentioned how big the Freench navy were and how important they were. There were also Polish, Canadian and Belgium naval ships fighting and helping. Of those rescued, there were almost a 100 indian troops as mule handlers.

This is not to claim that one nationality did more, or were better as it is far more complex than that. And far more complex than simplistic portrayals on the big screen suggest. With the downside being that far too many simple people see only a very distorted view, and so feel justified in sticking to their jingostic delusions.

And for those who are wondering how the German army was able to break through the Ardennes and race to the sea so quickly this might help

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/05/pilots-salt-the-third-rei

a bit of history that is also overlooked.

The German army was able to defy allied calculations on the speed of advance because they were using, what is now known as, crystal meth
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 13:47]
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 13:24 - Jan 29 with 3871 viewsKropotkin123

Agreed, other films that just had it in for scene drafted or cgi'd more people. The town shots were similarly hampered by decisions not to use cgi.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:04 - Jan 29 with 3801 viewsunstableblue

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 13:10 - Jan 29 by flimflam

That sums up my feelings on 1917 exactly.

Thought it was excellent in places but tedious in lots of others.

Dont really understand the hype.

1917 fell aprt as a film; poor second half.

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:33 - Jan 29 with 3766 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:04 - Jan 29 by unstableblue

1917 fell aprt as a film; poor second half.

Correct. When the that big thing happened in the middle (not to spoil it) I thought the film just slowed down and was a bit of a non event until the final scene which was really good.

I think it is a 7/10 film

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:36 - Jan 29 with 3759 viewschicoazul

Anthropoid is absolutely brilliant. I was in bits at the end when he has the vision of the woman holding out her hand.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:51 - Jan 29 with 3719 viewsGeoffSentence

Which one? The one made in the 50's was excellent.

The recently made one, not so much.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:56 - Jan 29 with 3714 viewsGeoffSentence

I watched 1917 last night.

I very much enjoyed it, though I wasn't sure why the mighty German army seemed to be wandering around in 1s and 2s, but it was a good thing they were as it made things a trifle easier for out heroes.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 15:35 - Jan 29 with 3658 viewsjeera

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 12:37 - Jan 29 by Illinoisblue

Fully agree. Thought Dunkirk was hugely disappointing. We never get to know the characters so why should we care about them?

That's the spirit.

Is it on Netflix btw, if anyone knows?

Even with poor reviews it's there to be seen so I'll watch that later if it's available.

Too lazy to look atm.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 15:43 - Jan 29 with 3646 viewsflimflam

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 13:19 - Jan 29 by HARRY10

It was around 140,00 Fench and Belgian troops out of a total of 340,000. - lessthan 30% who were taken off the beaches.

For aound four days the French navy had been taking Brtish troops over French troops, the view being that the French could hold the defence while the British escaped. It is never mentioned how big the Freench navy were and how important they were. There were also Polish, Canadian and Belgium naval ships fighting and helping. Of those rescued, there were almost a 100 indian troops as mule handlers.

This is not to claim that one nationality did more, or were better as it is far more complex than that. And far more complex than simplistic portrayals on the big screen suggest. With the downside being that far too many simple people see only a very distorted view, and so feel justified in sticking to their jingostic delusions.

And for those who are wondering how the German army was able to break through the Ardennes and race to the sea so quickly this might help

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/05/pilots-salt-the-third-rei

a bit of history that is also overlooked.

The German army was able to defy allied calculations on the speed of advance because they were using, what is now known as, crystal meth
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 13:47]

Hitler called the attack off and the Germans sat back and surrounded Dunkirk.

If they had pressed forward it would not have ended quite so well not that a mass evacuation = well.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:43]

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 15:53 - Jan 29 with 3626 viewsflimflam

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 14:33 - Jan 29 by TRUE_BLUE123

Correct. When the that big thing happened in the middle (not to spoil it) I thought the film just slowed down and was a bit of a non event until the final scene which was really good.

I think it is a 7/10 film

Could they not have just sent a plane to deliver the message?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 16:27 - Jan 29 with 3575 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 15:35 - Jan 29 by jeera

That's the spirit.

Is it on Netflix btw, if anyone knows?

Even with poor reviews it's there to be seen so I'll watch that later if it's available.

Too lazy to look atm.

As of today it is.

Worth a watch if God or Ready Steady Cook aren't on.

(It's actually pretty good. I enjoyed it).

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 17:23 - Jan 29 with 3508 viewsjeera

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 16:27 - Jan 29 by ThisIsMyUsername

As of today it is.

Worth a watch if God or Ready Steady Cook aren't on.

(It's actually pretty good. I enjoyed it).

Thanks. What's the other one - Darkest Hour?

Any good anyone?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 17:49 - Jan 29 with 3480 viewsHARRY10

Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 15:43 - Jan 29 by flimflam

Hitler called the attack off and the Germans sat back and surrounded Dunkirk.

If they had pressed forward it would not have ended quite so well not that a mass evacuation = well.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2020 15:43]

Not correct. The attack was paused on 24th May (for many reasons) and resumed again on the 26th May

And they continued to press forward until the evacuation ended on 3rd June. It was during this period of heavy fighting that the massacre of British troops at Le Paradis took place (27th) and the French army's heroic stand at Lille took place.

It was that stand that kept the 'door open' so to speak that allowed so many British to fall back to Dunkirk.

Sadly the idea that a third of a million men escaped because the Germans 'sat back' is yet another myth that has been allowed to flourish, to the detriment of what really happened, and why.
Watching 1917.. inspired me... on 17:57 - Jan 29 with 3467 viewsGaryCooper

The Spitfire had unlimited ammunition and the beaches were desolate , it was ok.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024