Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? 17:56 - Feb 19 with 7630 viewstractordownsouth

And from the perspective of the people you'd most like to lead the country, not the party. So if you're a Tory supporter, which people would make you most likely to vote Labour.

Leader:

Lisa Nandy
Keir Starmer
Rebecca Long Bailey

Would be happy with either of the top 2 becoming leader. RLB has impressed me as more charismatic than I previously gave her credit for but I'm not keen on us running on an almost identical manifesto, even if she's more competent and doesn't have the skeletons in the closet that JC has. I've been disappointed with Starmer for his lack of policy outline but is generally a skilled operator and I'd trust him to maintain the popular elements of the manifesto, such as rail nationalisation, without overloading it with things like broadband etc. - he's made a point of this. Nandy makes the top of my list as I feel she's likely to have the best appeal with the swing voters and will be strong enough to hold the Tories to account.

Deputy:

Angela Rayner
Ian Murray
Roseena Allin Khan
Dawn Butler
Richard Burgon

There's a massive difference between the competency of the top 3 and Butler and Burgon, I don't want either of them anywhere near the leadership: Burgon's peace pledge just seems like posturing and he seems more preoccupied with maintaining ideological purity than actually winning elections. Whilst it wasn't her fault specifically, I think Butler has to take some of the blame, as equalities spokesperson, for the lack of action with anti semitism. I haven't seen a great deal of Allin Khan, although Lisa Nandy told me after the Bristol hustings that she'll have her in her Shadow Cabinet if she wins (exclusive info for you there!) Ruth Smeeth has endorsed Murray, claiming he showed the most desire to deal with the Anti- Semitism crisis, which is a positive. I don't like geting into identity politics, but I think having a prominent Scottish Labour voice in the media would help address the disconnect between the party and the post-2015 SNP voters. I'd be happy with either Murray or Rayner, as I think the latter speaks well and embodies what Labour is all about with her life story.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:04 - Feb 19 with 4133 viewsr2d2

Boris Johnson
Jacob Rees Mog
Dominic Raab/Priti Patel
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:05 - Feb 19 with 4130 viewstractordownsouth

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:04 - Feb 19 by r2d2

Boris Johnson
Jacob Rees Mog
Dominic Raab/Priti Patel

Brilliant

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:09 - Feb 19 with 4123 viewslowhouseblue

starmer 1, nandy 2 (or possibly the other way round). rlb absolutely nowhere - we might as well call it a day if that happens.

rak 1, murray 2, rayner 3 (at a push but only because she must be better than than butler and burgon). the deputy doesn't really matter, but if there are enough loons in the party to elect burgon, again, we might as well pack it all in now.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:14 - Feb 19 with 4113 viewssohamblue74

Nandy preferred. Starmer also credible. RLB no thanks.

Rayner for deputy would be ideal.

We are crying out for a credible opposition to hold this 'government' to account at long last.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 18:26 - Feb 19 with 4091 viewsSwansea_Blue

Been surprisingly impressed with Nandy - coming from out of nowhere (effectively so to a non-Labour person like me). She’s the sort of leader they should be aspiring to: not afraid to tackle their elephant in the room and a good communicator. I haven’t seen here particularly challenged on anything yet though, and words are still cheap at this stage.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 21:13 - Feb 19 with 3996 viewsDoctor_Earman

Do they accept write-ins? I reckon Bozo the Clown could do a better job than that lot.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 22:25 - Feb 19 with 3933 viewsHerbivore

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 21:13 - Feb 19 by Doctor_Earman

Do they accept write-ins? I reckon Bozo the Clown could do a better job than that lot.

You'd know a lot about clowns I imagine.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 22:29 - Feb 19 with 3925 viewseireblue

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 21:13 - Feb 19 by Doctor_Earman

And people say there are no funny right wing comedians, have you tried an open mic night?
Login to get fewer ads

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 22:38 - Feb 19 with 3921 viewsStokieBlue

Did you know that Doctor Earman is an anagram of A traced moron?

Fairly apt given the carbon copy trolls on here.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 22:46 - Feb 19 with 3897 viewsChurchman

Nandy
Starmer
These are the only credible candidates for me. Starmer with his weakness on antisemitism and muddled Brexit stance puts him second, despite his obvious intelligence.

Deputy:
Murray
Khan

I’m amazed Burgon is spared on this message board. He is a walking disaster. Rayner would certainly wade into the govt and that’s a good thing, but I think she is more effective as a shadow minister.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2020 23:05]
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 23:16 - Feb 19 with 3861 viewsBluefish

Nandy

Roseena

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 07:03 - Feb 20 with 3785 viewsDarth_Koont

Starmer for leader
Rayner for deputy

Starmer is a link to the policies that the country needs but less of a Murdoch target than RLB.
And didn't throw Corbyn and the truth under the bus like Nandy has over the years (who is a useful tool for the right-wing press and hardcore Zionists but will also be a bigger target for them when the time is right).

Pronouns: He/Him

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 07:14 - Feb 20 with 3767 viewsm14_blue

Great banter.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:01 - Feb 20 with 3677 viewsthebooks

RLB
Starmer
Nandy

Rayner
Butler
Burgon
Khan
Murray

RLB’s got the policies and is a far better performer/interviewee than Corbyn. I think Starmer will win as a reaction to the election result (he looks nice in a suit and appears sensible), but I’m not sure he has the charisma/policies to appeal.

We need the leader and deputy to get on as Tom Watson spent the last four years effectively campaigning for Boris Johnson. Rayner’s popular in the party, to the right of RLB and we know they’ll work together. Seems a good balance to me.

Nandy’s campaigned pretty well, but the blue Labour thing is a dead end. You’ll never out-nasty the Tories.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:04 - Feb 20 with 3674 viewsSteve_M

Leader:

Starmer
Nandy

RLB

Deputy.

Murray/RAK/Rayner

Butler

Burgon

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:04 - Feb 20 with 3673 viewsBluefish

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:01 - Feb 20 by thebooks

RLB
Starmer
Nandy

Rayner
Butler
Burgon
Khan
Murray

RLB’s got the policies and is a far better performer/interviewee than Corbyn. I think Starmer will win as a reaction to the election result (he looks nice in a suit and appears sensible), but I’m not sure he has the charisma/policies to appeal.

We need the leader and deputy to get on as Tom Watson spent the last four years effectively campaigning for Boris Johnson. Rayner’s popular in the party, to the right of RLB and we know they’ll work together. Seems a good balance to me.

Nandy’s campaigned pretty well, but the blue Labour thing is a dead end. You’ll never out-nasty the Tories.

I'd potentially vote for Nandy so it can't be a dead end. Plenty of other former Tories like me out there. RLB will be more of the same, the best present Boris could ever get.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 9:04]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:10 - Feb 20 with 3645 viewsLeaky

Strange thing is your probably correct
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:12 - Feb 20 with 3637 viewsthebooks

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:04 - Feb 20 by Bluefish

I'd potentially vote for Nandy so it can't be a dead end. Plenty of other former Tories like me out there. RLB will be more of the same, the best present Boris could ever get.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 9:04]

It’s good if Nandy can pick up ex-Tory voters, but I think she’ll alienate lots of existing Labour/younger voters. If you want to vote socially conservative the Tories have that area sewn up. I can’t see Nandy working in an election.

She seems to be popular on here, though. Perhaps that represents the board’s demographic :-)

I think Labour have a far harder job of stitching together a winning voter coalition than the Tories, whichever leader we choose.

I don’t think Corbyn lost because of policies. The continuity tag RLB currently has wouldn’t last.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:13 - Feb 20 with 3633 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:01 - Feb 20 by thebooks

RLB
Starmer
Nandy

Rayner
Butler
Burgon
Khan
Murray

How do you see Lisa Nandy as “Blue Labour” and what has she said/ done to make you believe she is trying to “out-nasty” the Tories?

Genuinely interested in your reasoning behind both statements.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 9:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:30 - Feb 20 with 3594 viewsthebooks

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:13 - Feb 20 by GlasgowBlue

How do you see Lisa Nandy as “Blue Labour” and what has she said/ done to make you believe she is trying to “out-nasty” the Tories?

Genuinely interested in your reasoning behind both statements.
[Post edited 20 Feb 2020 9:15]

I find the whole focus on towns and talk of “preserving working-class traditions” both a mis-analysis of what happened in the 2019 election and a dead end for Labour. There’s loads of examples online, try https://unherd.com/thepost/lisa-nandy-on-social-conservatism-and-dominic-cumming

What is “social conservatism” really? Where would it leave issues like gay marriage, immigration etc? That’s what I mean by “out-nasty” the Tories.
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:37 - Feb 20 with 3583 viewsfooters

ZedRodgers

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:41 - Feb 20 with 3575 viewstractordownsouth

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:30 - Feb 20 by thebooks

I find the whole focus on towns and talk of “preserving working-class traditions” both a mis-analysis of what happened in the 2019 election and a dead end for Labour. There’s loads of examples online, try https://unherd.com/thepost/lisa-nandy-on-social-conservatism-and-dominic-cumming

What is “social conservatism” really? Where would it leave issues like gay marriage, immigration etc? That’s what I mean by “out-nasty” the Tories.

The focus on towns and regional inequality is a good thing. On the whole, New Labour were highly successful but failed to address these issues. I’m not sure how to post photos on here but there’s a graphic showing that 9/10 of the poorest regions in Western Europe are in the UK, and London is the single richest. And of those 9 poorest areas, 8 voted to leave, which shows the discontent across the country with regional inequality, and that these are the people we need to win back.

I don’t think she’s a social conservative either, she’s signed up to the Trans pledges and voted for gay marriage, as well as making a point that we won’t have “control immigration” mugs again. I don’t really see how her views are a problem.

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:41 - Feb 20 with 3569 viewsBlueForYou

You forgot the Donkey!
Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:59 - Feb 20 with 3537 viewsDarth_Koont

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 09:30 - Feb 20 by thebooks

She's not wrong on the whole. Even though she dodged the interviewer's point about implementing a community decision she didn't like.

But the whole idea of disempowering and not listening to communities and regions was started decades ago and reinforced even by Blair. I've seen it in Scotland as it's moving inexorably away from the Westminster bubble. Now and only now is it becoming an issue as it's become electorally critical even in England and Wales.

So as long as the driver for change remains electoral then we're screwed. Parties only want to overhaul democracy and empower the citizens when they're losing - when it should be central to our political debate among politicians and the media alike. But a majority of them are too busy waving flags, planning careers and looking out for vested interests.

Pronouns: He/Him

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 10:10 - Feb 20 with 3514 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Rank your preferences for Labour Leader/ Deputy and why? on 07:03 - Feb 20 by Darth_Koont

Starmer for leader
Rayner for deputy

Starmer is a link to the policies that the country needs but less of a Murdoch target than RLB.
And didn't throw Corbyn and the truth under the bus like Nandy has over the years (who is a useful tool for the right-wing press and hardcore Zionists but will also be a bigger target for them when the time is right).

Can you expand on the bigger target? I’m interested as whoever wins needs to have nothing the press can stuck into, or at least be able to defend effectively against them.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024