Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So this season could be declared null and void? 10:07 - Mar 14 with 5795 viewsChrisd

Many footballing experts suggesting this could be a real possibility.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 10:09]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:11 - Mar 14 with 4280 viewsbrazil1982

It's all rumour isn't it, because theres nothing else to discuss this weekend (football wise).
Many court cases if this were to happen.
So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:13 - Mar 14 with 4258 viewsChrisd

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:11 - Mar 14 by brazil1982

It's all rumour isn't it, because theres nothing else to discuss this weekend (football wise).
Many court cases if this were to happen.

Most definitely, but if enough of them are saying it and going into a meeting next week you can see it becoming a reality. It’s the opening of Pandora’s box, but where do you draw the line?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 10:32]

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:13 - Mar 14 with 4253 viewsCoco

Just cannot see how this could happen. So many things would make it unjust.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:38 - Mar 14 with 4147 viewsDarth_Koont

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:13 - Mar 14 by Chrisd

Most definitely, but if enough of them are saying it and going into a meeting next week you can see it becoming a reality. It’s the opening of Pandora’s box, but where do you draw the line?
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 10:32]

Indeed. The reality is that a minority of clubs have a chance of league or cup success this season. Which leaves a majority of clubs with little to play for or indeed staring at relegation. To get the rest of the season resolved will need that majority to play on and no doubt agree to disrupt next season.

While you would think that clubs would or should act in the interests of the sport and fair play, when push comes to shove when has that happened? I think, for example, how Cardiff tried to respond to Sala's death and save themselves some money is probably a bit too representative of how clubs can comfortably put themselves first.

Pronouns: He/Him

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:46 - Mar 14 with 4121 viewsRadlett_blue

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:38 - Mar 14 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. The reality is that a minority of clubs have a chance of league or cup success this season. Which leaves a majority of clubs with little to play for or indeed staring at relegation. To get the rest of the season resolved will need that majority to play on and no doubt agree to disrupt next season.

While you would think that clubs would or should act in the interests of the sport and fair play, when push comes to shove when has that happened? I think, for example, how Cardiff tried to respond to Sala's death and save themselves some money is probably a bit too representative of how clubs can comfortably put themselves first.

The important issues - as it all boils down to money - will be how they decide the Champions' League places & promotion & relegation. If the season isn't completed & they either leave things as they are or abandon the whole season, a few clubs are going to think this is monstrously unjust so no good solution.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:06 - Mar 14 with 4024 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:07 - Mar 14 with 4021 viewsBasuco

Germany are talking about no relegation and those in promotion places getting promoted, next season extra relegation to bring the leagues back down to current number of teams. Sounds a good idea to me and maybe the best way forward in an impossible situation.
So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:08 - Mar 14 with 4011 viewsRadlett_blue

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:07 - Mar 14 by Basuco

Germany are talking about no relegation and those in promotion places getting promoted, next season extra relegation to bring the leagues back down to current number of teams. Sounds a good idea to me and maybe the best way forward in an impossible situation.

So - MORE fixtures next season, which may not start until October? Not sure it's that good an idea, although it will stem the likelihood of litigation.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:10 - Mar 14 with 4001 viewsstonojnr

So this season could be declared null and void? on 10:46 - Mar 14 by Radlett_blue

The important issues - as it all boils down to money - will be how they decide the Champions' League places & promotion & relegation. If the season isn't completed & they either leave things as they are or abandon the whole season, a few clubs are going to think this is monstrously unjust so no good solution.

it would finish league football in this country completely imo, lower league clubs would rightly take the upper leagues to court over it as many have spent money on the gamble of promotion in this season, and that money is gone, spent, it wont reappear in their bank accounts just because the likes of Karen Brady dont fancy relegation anymore and those clubs that avoid relegation through a null and void,then have a massive advantage in the next season.

I bet if you said yep we'll annul the season but as a result none of you get paid a penny of tv money, prize money, sponsorship money or any money for this season, theyd soon change their tune on it, ultimately its about money not about maintaining the sanctity of the competition

the season has to continue at some point whether it extends into the summer or even the autumn, I doubt Euro 2020 will happen this year, and there must be rules/relegations written down about disruptions like this because whilst its unprecedented, its not something that wasnt unlikely to happen at some point.
So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:17 - Mar 14 with 3980 viewsBasuco

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:08 - Mar 14 by Radlett_blue

So - MORE fixtures next season, which may not start until October? Not sure it's that good an idea, although it will stem the likelihood of litigation.

Not perfect by any means, but is this the best way to manage a very complex and difficult situation?
So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:19 - Mar 14 with 3973 viewspointofblue

As stated in another thread the risk with that is you may get complaints from clubs just outside the promotion spots with, on paper, easier run ins complaining that they’ve missed out due to the order of matches rather than quality on the pitch.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:22 - Mar 14 with 3954 viewsBrixtonBlue

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:10 - Mar 14 by stonojnr

it would finish league football in this country completely imo, lower league clubs would rightly take the upper leagues to court over it as many have spent money on the gamble of promotion in this season, and that money is gone, spent, it wont reappear in their bank accounts just because the likes of Karen Brady dont fancy relegation anymore and those clubs that avoid relegation through a null and void,then have a massive advantage in the next season.

I bet if you said yep we'll annul the season but as a result none of you get paid a penny of tv money, prize money, sponsorship money or any money for this season, theyd soon change their tune on it, ultimately its about money not about maintaining the sanctity of the competition

the season has to continue at some point whether it extends into the summer or even the autumn, I doubt Euro 2020 will happen this year, and there must be rules/relegations written down about disruptions like this because whilst its unprecedented, its not something that wasnt unlikely to happen at some point.

How did it work during the first and second world wars? Did they begin between seasons?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:29 - Mar 14 with 3929 viewsWD19

The Premier League will make up their own rules.

My money is on them declaring the season void (so there is no relegation), but not void enough that they won’t still announce Liverpool as the champions.
So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:32 - Mar 14 with 3918 viewsPJH

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:22 - Mar 14 by BrixtonBlue

How did it work during the first and second world wars? Did they begin between seasons?

1939/40 season abandoned after three games and league football recommenced in 1946/47 with teams in the divisions they were at start of 1939/40 season but ditching a season after three games a bit different to doing it after thirty odd games.

A complete season was had in 1914/15 although then there were only two divisions of twenty teams each.League football started again in 1919/20 so other than there being no league football for four years there was no disruption.
So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:35 - Mar 14 with 3906 viewsJ2BLUE

There is another way. Of course it will be opposed by a few clubs who will cry about it but this is a crisis and it would probably get voted through with a decent majority.

Use average points per game to produce a final league table.

Liverpool would be champions.

Man U would lose their sh1t but it's a crisis.

Watford vs Bournemouth behind closed doors for the third relegation spot.

Leeds and West Brom promoted.

Seems a fairer way to do it. A small minority of clubs with legit grievances would kick off but it's the fair solution for the vast majority.

Declare the cups void.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:37 - Mar 14 with 3895 viewsBrixtonBlue

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:32 - Mar 14 by PJH

1939/40 season abandoned after three games and league football recommenced in 1946/47 with teams in the divisions they were at start of 1939/40 season but ditching a season after three games a bit different to doing it after thirty odd games.

A complete season was had in 1914/15 although then there were only two divisions of twenty teams each.League football started again in 1919/20 so other than there being no league football for four years there was no disruption.

Cheers for the info. So the situation we now find ourselves in is truly unprecedented.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:39 - Mar 14 with 3881 viewsjas0999

Depends which expert and when. Saying this morning that’s very unlikely.
So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:43 - Mar 14 with 3862 viewsChrisd

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:39 - Mar 14 by jas0999

Depends which expert and when. Saying this morning that’s very unlikely.

Not just Karen Brady from what I have seen and read, although I can see her angle on getting this season defunct.

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:53 - Mar 14 with 3824 viewsDublinBlue84

So this season could be declared null and void? on 11:35 - Mar 14 by J2BLUE

There is another way. Of course it will be opposed by a few clubs who will cry about it but this is a crisis and it would probably get voted through with a decent majority.

Use average points per game to produce a final league table.

Liverpool would be champions.

Man U would lose their sh1t but it's a crisis.

Watford vs Bournemouth behind closed doors for the third relegation spot.

Leeds and West Brom promoted.

Seems a fairer way to do it. A small minority of clubs with legit grievances would kick off but it's the fair solution for the vast majority.

Declare the cups void.

Big problem is that is that some teams might have had a harder fixture list and played all the good teams whilst their rivals played all of the crap ones so it's not really fair.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:10 - Mar 14 with 3750 viewsBent_double

That would be the worst/most unfair option in my opinion, although I don't suppose 'fairness' is something that many will bother about, other than the clubs worst affected of course.

With such a small number of games to play in each league (10 or less, excluding playoffs), surely they can just be crammed into a 2-3 week period later in the year before the new season starts? A game every 2-3 days perhaps.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:16 - Mar 14 with 3720 viewsCoco

All prem clubs get another 100m and those clubs with momentum looking to break into the play-offs crippled by missing out.

ALL prem clubs (those who’ll benefit) will preach pragmatism etc but it’s bollox.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:20 - Mar 14 with 3698 viewsElephantintheRoom

Many 'experts' are suggesting a majprity of clubs cannot surive that...including those in the Prem living off media money they may have to do without.

I wonder where Evans stands on stumping up a few more million on the off chance football will kick off again in six months with no threat of a nasty virus killing 11 people again by this time next year.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:22 - Mar 14 with 3695 viewsHemelBlue

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:10 - Mar 14 by Bent_double

That would be the worst/most unfair option in my opinion, although I don't suppose 'fairness' is something that many will bother about, other than the clubs worst affected of course.

With such a small number of games to play in each league (10 or less, excluding playoffs), surely they can just be crammed into a 2-3 week period later in the year before the new season starts? A game every 2-3 days perhaps.

If this happened, like the german proposal, it would be the luckiest way for Norwich to survive (typical) but only one season’s grace given the amount of relegations the year after (you would only need one anyway!)

The most amazing piece of luck would be Arsenal though because they finished 5th in 18-19. With City banned, they would qualify for the champions league next season!
So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:23 - Mar 14 with 3689 viewsHemelBlue

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:22 - Mar 14 by HemelBlue

If this happened, like the german proposal, it would be the luckiest way for Norwich to survive (typical) but only one season’s grace given the amount of relegations the year after (you would only need one anyway!)

The most amazing piece of luck would be Arsenal though because they finished 5th in 18-19. With City banned, they would qualify for the champions league next season!

I replied to wrong post - I am new! I meant if the league was void, then it would be amazing for Arsenal as they would fluke into the UCL
So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:26 - Mar 14 with 3661 viewsRyorry

So this season could be declared null and void? on 12:10 - Mar 14 by Bent_double

As all clubs are on an enforced break now, & Euro2020's unlikely to go ahead, just play all the remaining fixtures in second half of June + July + first half of August? With pre-season warm-ups just between each club's senior & yoof teams.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024