Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... 11:29 - Apr 18 with 2688 viewsitfcjoe

....it almost feels as though next season needs to be abandoned, with the remains of this season spread over the upcoming months ready to go again in June/July 2021.

I don't see how a whole season is going to be fitted in between now and then, but fitting the last quarter of this one should be more manageable.

I know it's not a priority, but getting some behind closed doors going on in upcoming weeks will be a good thing in helping people stay inside surely?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 11:46 - Apr 18 with 2622 viewspointofblue

On your last point, as long as supporters don’t follow what happened elsewhere before the lockdowns and gather outside the stadiums!

The only issue is prolonging this season throughout the next year is what happens with the contracts? Players may not want to stay on in some cases and clubs may not want them on the payroll for others, with an expiry date of the end of June.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 11:58 - Apr 18 with 2592 viewsHerbivore

I think next season will have to be truncated. I can't see them cancelling it, partly for financial reasons but also if we're largely out of lockdown for many of the months of what would be the 20/21 season then it'd be odd to not have any football going on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 12:58 - Apr 18 with 2514 viewsgroovyASH

No way will they abandon an entire season, the money side of football would never accept that.

They will probably have to streamline the season, abandon the pointless cup competitions, possibly only play sides once instead of home and away.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:01 - Apr 18 with 2501 viewsElderGrizzly

Upcoming weeks? You’ll be unlikely to see anything behind closed doors until at least July and then not until everyone involved has been tested.

It will come down to money sadly. Is it cheaper to abandon this season vs protecting next?
With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:09 - Apr 18 with 2465 viewsronnyd

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:01 - Apr 18 by ElderGrizzly

Upcoming weeks? You’ll be unlikely to see anything behind closed doors until at least July and then not until everyone involved has been tested.

It will come down to money sadly. Is it cheaper to abandon this season vs protecting next?

On the subject of money, i read this morning that Chelsea players don't fancy giving up 20% of their wages, but are willing to accept a 10% reduction. Tightwads.
With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:21 - Apr 18 with 2450 viewsitfcjoe

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:01 - Apr 18 by ElderGrizzly

I just think the plan to play next season becomes flawed, because another outbreak and we are stuck again.

By prioritising this season, and finishing it, we then just get to 'next' season with less time pressure on it

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:28 - Apr 18 with 2432 viewsChrisd

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 11:46 - Apr 18 by pointofblue

On your last point, as long as supporters don’t follow what happened elsewhere before the lockdowns and gather outside the stadiums!

The only issue is prolonging this season throughout the next year is what happens with the contracts? Players may not want to stay on in some cases and clubs may not want them on the payroll for others, with an expiry date of the end of June.

The contract debate will be an interesting one to watch. I'm sure there are a percentage of players that would play beyond the 30th June when their contract expires as they just want to play, but then there will be a some that don't want to get injured and jeopardise a future move, which is fair enough.

For all the promoting of the Bundesliga recently and how their clubs are managing the situation, that seems like that's taken a couple of backward steps over the last 24-48 hours. It's really going to be fascinating to see developments both here and abroad because no one really knows how this is going to play out in the long term.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 13:47]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:32 - Apr 18 with 2423 viewsHerbivore

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:21 - Apr 18 by itfcjoe

I just think the plan to play next season becomes flawed, because another outbreak and we are stuck again.

By prioritising this season, and finishing it, we then just get to 'next' season with less time pressure on it

I don't think you can cancel a whole season, some 9 months of football, on the basis that there could be a further outbreak. They need to have contingency planning and quite possibly a shortened season, but no football at all seems way too drastic.

Login to get fewer ads

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:34 - Apr 18 with 2420 viewsMattinLondon

Personally, and this may well upset the purists but I’d like to see this season concluded as soon that it is safe to do so. I wouldn’t force the players to play games with little rest between each game as that will simply lead to increased risk of injury.

But next season it’ll good to have something different - a glorified cup competition for each division - with the bottom six and top six having play-off matches to determine who goes up or down.
With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:43 - Apr 18 with 2387 viewsElderGrizzly

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:32 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

I don't think you can cancel a whole season, some 9 months of football, on the basis that there could be a further outbreak. They need to have contingency planning and quite possibly a shortened season, but no football at all seems way too drastic.

And the views of fans won’t come into it. It will be driven by whichever solution loses the least money
With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:45 - Apr 18 with 2385 viewsxrayspecs

I would be surprised if we see any football this year. We are going to need to socially distance until a vaccine has been developed and can be manufactured at scale, we will need billions of doses.

It normally takes a year to eighteen months to develop a vaccine from scratch and while there are some candidates entering early trials, we also know that the majority of candidates fail at the testing stage. Should one of them prove over the next few months to work and be safe (this takes longer to establish), then at best you will see production in the autumn, which will be prioritised for the most vunlerable and I would suspect widespread vaccinations not until 2021.

We cannot stop footballers/coaches/managers/support staff/referees/match day staff etc. getting Covid19. Even if you try and isolate them you cannot completely eliminate the risk of infection being picked up indirectly. All you need is for one player to test positive and the season stops again.
With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:17 - Apr 18 with 2283 viewsBrixtonBlue

I've been saying this for a couple of weeks. Seems the fairest and most logical solution.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:20 - Apr 18 with 2273 viewsBrixtonBlue

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 12:58 - Apr 18 by groovyASH

No way will they abandon an entire season, the money side of football would never accept that.

They will probably have to streamline the season, abandon the pointless cup competitions, possibly only play sides once instead of home and away.

The money side can do one. We're in the middle of a pandemic. The current season can't start up again until it's safe to do so, and by then there won't be time to play next season (especially if we need to go into lockdown again) anyway. So the "money side" won't have any choice in the matter.

They should think themselves lucky there will be any football at all that they can monetise.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:24 - Apr 18 with 2253 viewsHerbivore

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:20 - Apr 18 by BrixtonBlue

The money side can do one. We're in the middle of a pandemic. The current season can't start up again until it's safe to do so, and by then there won't be time to play next season (especially if we need to go into lockdown again) anyway. So the "money side" won't have any choice in the matter.

They should think themselves lucky there will be any football at all that they can monetise.

How many clubs do you think will survive on zero income for the 20/21 season?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:30 - Apr 18 with 2244 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Until we have a clearer idea of when we can come out of lockdown it is very difficult to be sure what can be done.

I think stating that nothing will happen without some form of preseason would be wise and giving an idea of the length of that pre-season would also be wise. Usually a pre-season runs from early July/late June to August. Probably a shorter one would be reasonable but, say we are out of lockdown at the end of May, there is plenty of time to have a whole season if you write this one off. That is far from ideal but does give the highest potential for income (factored against refunds due to season ticket holders).

A better solution may be to finish this season whenever is practical, have a short break and then do something different. Maybe a regionalised competition or an extra cup with group stages where the top sides progress and the lower sides play those from other groups for lesser prize money. You could do something a bit different. Maybe invent a shorter game such as 2 x 25 min where you have a number of sides playing at the same venue on the same day in a little round robin competition to progress up or down a league ladder system so fans get to see their side against a couple of others and the other two play each other as well. It might mean a 3-way segregation of fans but I am sure clubs could manage that even if it meant slightly reduced capacity.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:55 - Apr 18 with 2194 viewsBrixtonBlue

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:24 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

How many clubs do you think will survive on zero income for the 20/21 season?

I don't think they would have zero income. For starters, if 21/22 can start early, then it can... so clubs won't be so long without money. I wouldn't suggest sticking rigidly to the regular season start date.

Until football can continue as normal, clubs would need to be subsidised, either by government or the game itself. Start spreading those riches about. Players may need to take wage cuts. Rent and loan holidays from the banks could be issued.

In short, football will likely have to do what other businesses are doing if it wants to survive.

How do you propose playing games when a pandemic's on?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 16:07 - Apr 18 with 2179 viewsHerbivore

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 15:55 - Apr 18 by BrixtonBlue

I don't think they would have zero income. For starters, if 21/22 can start early, then it can... so clubs won't be so long without money. I wouldn't suggest sticking rigidly to the regular season start date.

Until football can continue as normal, clubs would need to be subsidised, either by government or the game itself. Start spreading those riches about. Players may need to take wage cuts. Rent and loan holidays from the banks could be issued.

In short, football will likely have to do what other businesses are doing if it wants to survive.

How do you propose playing games when a pandemic's on?

We don't know that it won't be possible to play games normally or close to normally in 6 or 9 months' time. In the meantime games can be played behind closed doors and streamed so that fans can watch from home and clubs still have a revenue stream. If next season is cancelled there will have been no football for a year or more and clubs will have had zero (or close to zero) income that entire time. They won't survive.

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 16:15 - Apr 18 with 2163 viewsBrixtonBlue

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 16:07 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

We don't know that it won't be possible to play games normally or close to normally in 6 or 9 months' time. In the meantime games can be played behind closed doors and streamed so that fans can watch from home and clubs still have a revenue stream. If next season is cancelled there will have been no football for a year or more and clubs will have had zero (or close to zero) income that entire time. They won't survive.

You seem to have ignored everything I've said and restated your position. Why would there be no football for a year or more? I said that season can start early if it's able to. I also talked about how football will have to follow what regular businesses are doing, which you've made no comment on.

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 16:22 - Apr 18 with 2154 viewsHerbivore

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 16:15 - Apr 18 by BrixtonBlue

You seem to have ignored everything I've said and restated your position. Why would there be no football for a year or more? I said that season can start early if it's able to. I also talked about how football will have to follow what regular businesses are doing, which you've made no comment on.

How early are you thinking of starting 21/22 season? The Euros are in June/July next year now so that makes it somewhat difficult to bring the 21/22 season forward. And given that football stopped in early March you're still looking at the best part of a year without football even if 21/22 started right at the beginning of 2021, in which case, mid season break aside, it wouldn't need to run until 2022 anyway and you'd then have a long gap to the 22/23 season.

Most other businesses are surviving by furloughing staff (players won't agree to be furloughed), through government grants (clubs aren't entitled to them), or through government backed loans (which clubs wouldn't be able to get, given they would have no income stream until at least next year and most clubs are loss making even with revenue). Most other businesses will also be expecting to operate again this year, which you're proposing football clubs won't be doing. It's easy to say that football clubs need to do what other businesses are doing but the reality is that they can't.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 16:25]

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 17:42 - Apr 18 with 2081 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 16:22 - Apr 18 by Herbivore

How early are you thinking of starting 21/22 season? The Euros are in June/July next year now so that makes it somewhat difficult to bring the 21/22 season forward. And given that football stopped in early March you're still looking at the best part of a year without football even if 21/22 started right at the beginning of 2021, in which case, mid season break aside, it wouldn't need to run until 2022 anyway and you'd then have a long gap to the 22/23 season.

Most other businesses are surviving by furloughing staff (players won't agree to be furloughed), through government grants (clubs aren't entitled to them), or through government backed loans (which clubs wouldn't be able to get, given they would have no income stream until at least next year and most clubs are loss making even with revenue). Most other businesses will also be expecting to operate again this year, which you're proposing football clubs won't be doing. It's easy to say that football clubs need to do what other businesses are doing but the reality is that they can't.
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 16:25]

Plus moving the 2021 season forward won’t plug the TV money gap which is where clubs will be hit hardest if next season was cancelled

The season will have to happen in one way or another, as far as the clubs are concerned at least

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 17:55 - Apr 18 with 2060 viewsHerbivore

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 17:42 - Apr 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Plus moving the 2021 season forward won’t plug the TV money gap which is where clubs will be hit hardest if next season was cancelled

The season will have to happen in one way or another, as far as the clubs are concerned at least

Yes indeed. Clubs would basically be going an entire season with next to no money coming in. It's not really feasible for them to do that.

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 18:17 - Apr 18 with 2040 viewsJ2BLUE

I would rather it went on behind closed doors. Maybe that is selfish but it will be a long year with just a quarter of a season to be played.

I think this is the time for creative ideas rather than throwing in the towel. I can't understand why so many seem so happy to throw football away. I know how serious this situation is but why can't we make the best out of it rather than give up? We should be looking to go ahead as normal (without fans probably). If next season is also disrupted we can adjust the following season. Why take a hit when potentially we don't need to?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 18:22 - Apr 18 with 2030 viewsITFC_Forever

Given when the 2022 World Cup is due to be held, it’s an opportunity to get the football calendar prepared for that.

Finish the season whenever it’s possible, start and end next season late and then have the World Cup before the start of the 2022-23 season (Opening Day of the season Boxing Day?), then would have to go through some more adjustment to get back on track after that.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 18:36 - Apr 18 with 2012 viewsBlueNomad

With the way things seem to be heading, on a football side.... on 13:09 - Apr 18 by ronnyd

On the subject of money, i read this morning that Chelsea players don't fancy giving up 20% of their wages, but are willing to accept a 10% reduction. Tightwads.

i thought that but is it better to take large amounts of tax from them or leave it to the club / Abramovic to use?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024