Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me 09:00 - Dec 15 with 3217 viewsbluelagos

Interviewing a govt minister around the xmas rules

"The trouble is when you talk about maximum and minimum everyone watching this is going 'What do you want? What do you want us to do?"

What they want is firm leadership, not this wishy washy language which means 'Yeah, go and do it but yeah, don't do it'. It doesn't work, it just makes people confused, they are like 'Should we be doing it or not? How dangerous is it?'

They want the government to lead, in Germany and the Netherlands, they have led. They said 'We know you don't want to hear this but this is what's going to happen.'

Here it's like "Do it, but don't do it". It doesn't work it just causes confusion..."

--------

Most sensible summing up I have heard in weeks tbh.

[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 9:00]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:04 - Dec 15 with 2676 viewsHerbivore

There's been mixed messaging throughout really which is absolutely the last thing you need in a situation like this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:06 - Dec 15 with 2652 viewsfooters

Ah, but the Germans and Dutch aren't as freedom loving as us. In fact, they're both worse countries.

How do I know this? The government have told me so :)
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 9:07]

footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:10 - Dec 15 with 2623 viewsFtnfwest

did he mention rules on taxis?
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:12 - Dec 15 with 2600 viewsbluelagos

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:04 - Dec 15 by Herbivore

There's been mixed messaging throughout really which is absolutely the last thing you need in a situation like this.

Communication was supposed to be his one strength...turns out that is a pile of cr*p too

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:14 - Dec 15 with 2577 viewsbluelagos

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:10 - Dec 15 by Ftnfwest

did he mention rules on taxis?

Early play for the 'Whataboutery post of the day' there.

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:20 - Dec 15 with 2543 viewsgiant_stow

I'm torn personally.

I quite like the freedom to decide *not* to do anything silly, but I guess its open to pisstaking 5 day long benders.

As an example, we’re supposed to be driving to Somerset on the 23rd to see Mrs Ullaa’s mum very briefly in her garden, just to say hello. We haven’t seen her for months and I believe it would basically be safe to do this.

If I understand correctly, this won’t be possible in tier 3, but would be possible in the Christmas ‘breather’

We won’t be going over to my mum or brother’s for Christmas day in London, but do feel like that Somerset trip is important (rightly or wrongly).

I did see some psychologist or other suggesting that people are basically going to do what they want on the whole and that you have more chance of getting them to do the right thing, if it’s their choice, rather than a rule imposed from above.

Even so, if the govt said tomorrow, the Christmas pause is off, I wouldn’t be that unhappy. Weird stuff.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:22 - Dec 15 with 2523 viewsGeoffSentence

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:06 - Dec 15 by footers

Ah, but the Germans and Dutch aren't as freedom loving as us. In fact, they're both worse countries.

How do I know this? The government have told me so :)
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 9:07]

Haha, that is the one thing they have been clear about.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:29 - Dec 15 with 2464 viewsFtnfwest

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:14 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

Early play for the 'Whataboutery post of the day' there.

Nah, way too slinky and subtle for that...
Login to get fewer ads

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:32 - Dec 15 with 2435 viewsbluelagos

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:20 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

I'm torn personally.

I quite like the freedom to decide *not* to do anything silly, but I guess its open to pisstaking 5 day long benders.

As an example, we’re supposed to be driving to Somerset on the 23rd to see Mrs Ullaa’s mum very briefly in her garden, just to say hello. We haven’t seen her for months and I believe it would basically be safe to do this.

If I understand correctly, this won’t be possible in tier 3, but would be possible in the Christmas ‘breather’

We won’t be going over to my mum or brother’s for Christmas day in London, but do feel like that Somerset trip is important (rightly or wrongly).

I did see some psychologist or other suggesting that people are basically going to do what they want on the whole and that you have more chance of getting them to do the right thing, if it’s their choice, rather than a rule imposed from above.

Even so, if the govt said tomorrow, the Christmas pause is off, I wouldn’t be that unhappy. Weird stuff.

It is starting to look like a govt defence to me. They can't hide behind "following the science" now as that has been shown to be a pack of lies. Like it always was despite many defending it at the time.

Now it is "we trust people" which gives them the cop out when deaths rise.

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:38 - Dec 15 with 2398 viewsstantheman

What a load of crap Morgan spouts. A significant number of people won't follow the rules whatever the government advise. If they say that Christmas is cancelled because of the pandemic what will happen do you think. From what I see in this country a number of people don't seem to give 2 f's whether people are dying or the hospitals are filling up because they come up with the excuse about the rules. If they don't know what they should be doing by now there's no hope, whether it's Christmas or not.
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:49 - Dec 15 with 2354 viewsBasuco

To be fair Piers does come up with a good point every now and then and agree with this one.
I did laugh at an MP last night who said he did not understand why an area had a steep rise in covid cases, sorry it is very simple, people are not following the rules.
The message should be as simple as this, the virus does not spread, people spread the virus.
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:51 - Dec 15 with 2346 viewseireblue

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:38 - Dec 15 by stantheman

What a load of crap Morgan spouts. A significant number of people won't follow the rules whatever the government advise. If they say that Christmas is cancelled because of the pandemic what will happen do you think. From what I see in this country a number of people don't seem to give 2 f's whether people are dying or the hospitals are filling up because they come up with the excuse about the rules. If they don't know what they should be doing by now there's no hope, whether it's Christmas or not.

By settling an example, by being clear, somber and serious, the Government could have set a clear signal.

They could even have said, guess what, we know this is tough, we will extend bank hOli day later in the year and organise something.

They could have made it easier for people to do the correct thing, and that may have lead to social and peer pressure, so that a larger percentage of people would adhere to rules.

Instead we are back to the initial days of March and keeping pubs open but suggesting people shouldn’t go to a the pub.

If you don’t want people to do something, tell them not to do it, and enforce it.
[Post edited 15 Dec 2020 9:52]
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:03 - Dec 15 with 2290 viewsbluelagos

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:49 - Dec 15 by Basuco

To be fair Piers does come up with a good point every now and then and agree with this one.
I did laugh at an MP last night who said he did not understand why an area had a steep rise in covid cases, sorry it is very simple, people are not following the rules.
The message should be as simple as this, the virus does not spread, people spread the virus.

Is that simple? Or are the govt simply not putting in place the rules their scientists advised?

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:07 - Dec 15 with 2266 viewsbluelagos

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:51 - Dec 15 by eireblue

By settling an example, by being clear, somber and serious, the Government could have set a clear signal.

They could even have said, guess what, we know this is tough, we will extend bank hOli day later in the year and organise something.

They could have made it easier for people to do the correct thing, and that may have lead to social and peer pressure, so that a larger percentage of people would adhere to rules.

Instead we are back to the initial days of March and keeping pubs open but suggesting people shouldn’t go to a the pub.

If you don’t want people to do something, tell them not to do it, and enforce it.

"Instead we are back to the initial days of March and keeping pubs open but suggesting people shouldn’t go to a the pub. "

Does feel like it doesn't it.

"Hey everyone, 5 days at crimbo, 3 family bubbles, away you go." Then "Oh sh1t, yeah, you don't have to do it." Next week it will be "Please don't do it, think of granny".

In January it will be "We warned you not to do it..."

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:10 - Dec 15 with 2236 viewsBasuco

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:03 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

Is that simple? Or are the govt simply not putting in place the rules their scientists advised?

Following science? That would be a new concept for the government to think about, it might be a bit radical for Boris.
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:11 - Dec 15 with 2234 viewsfactual_blue

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:03 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

No. The rules aren't suggested by the scientists who explain what the numbers are saying and what the epidemiology suggests will happen.

The politicians decide on the minimum they can do based on that scientific advice whilst not alienating the scientists so much that they resign.

The scientific advice would be a much stronger lockdown for the whole country with no relaxation at Christmas.

What we lack, as you've probably noticed is responsible leadership from boris.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:14 - Dec 15 with 2207 viewsstantheman

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:51 - Dec 15 by eireblue

That's the problem. How the hell do you enforce it? If people do not realise what they should be doing, after all this time, without the Government telling them what to do what hope is there?
Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:15 - Dec 15 with 2206 viewsGlasgowBlue

The government this week: stay at home, do not meet anyone from outside your household, no hospitality.

The government next week:

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:19 - Dec 15 with 2180 viewsvapour_trail

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:20 - Dec 15 by giant_stow

I'm torn personally.

Hang on, you’re going to drive from London to Somerset, with the kids in the back of the car, to see the mother-in-law briefly in the back garden, then drive back to London?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:20 - Dec 15 with 2169 viewsfooters

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:19 - Dec 15 by vapour_trail

Hang on, you’re going to drive from London to Somerset, with the kids in the back of the car, to see the mother-in-law briefly in the back garden, then drive back to London?

That's what I was wondering as well! Wouldn't that cost hundreds in petrol?

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:22 - Dec 15 with 2156 viewsvapour_trail

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:20 - Dec 15 by footers

That's what I was wondering as well! Wouldn't that cost hundreds in petrol?

I wouldn’t be arsed about the petrol, but that’s six to ten hours in the car with the kids.

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:24 - Dec 15 with 2132 viewsfooters

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:22 - Dec 15 by vapour_trail

I wouldn’t be arsed about the petrol, but that’s six to ten hours in the car with the kids.

Ball gags are relatively cheap... But aye, that seems like a huge amount of time and effort.

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:25 - Dec 15 with 2134 viewsStokieBlue

Not often one agrees with Piers Morgan but he's spot on about the messaging.

Germany and Holland are allowing mixing at Christmas whilst in their lockdowns but they have specified a maximum number of people as well as households.

It did feel from the statements yesterday that there could be an internal fight in the Tories over the next few days. Pretty sure some of them want Christmas called off and if Boris takes the hit then so be it.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:27 - Dec 15 with 2096 viewsvapour_trail

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:24 - Dec 15 by footers

Ball gags are relatively cheap... But aye, that seems like a huge amount of time and effort.

To be fair to Ulla, he gets to cross off his mother-in-law and his mother in one go.

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 10:27 - Dec 15 with 2083 viewsCrawfordsboot

Piers Morgan just nailed it for me on 09:32 - Dec 15 by bluelagos

It is starting to look like a govt defence to me. They can't hide behind "following the science" now as that has been shown to be a pack of lies. Like it always was despite many defending it at the time.

Now it is "we trust people" which gives them the cop out when deaths rise.

that's an interesting comment Lagos - are you saying that science is a pack of lies, or that the Govt. representation of the science is a pack of lies, a la Trump?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024