Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Nearly 60,000 covid cases 16:35 - Dec 31 with 6994 viewschrismakin

Yet supermarkets still allow hundreds of shoppers in without a care in the world

Little ones going to crowd together in schools next week despite boris advising covid loves a crowd

I can't believe with the oxford vaccine now available to they haven't done a full uk hard lockdown and push the vaccine as quick as possible. I get businesses down want to stay closed.. but the longer this pathetic tier system goes on the worse it is.

Just lockdown the island. Nothing in nothing out
All businesses closed army delivers food only care homes and NHS businesses open.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:39 - Dec 31 with 3319 viewsDublinBlue84

Not all supermarkets are like this, I was in Waitrose in Sudbury a couple of times recently and they were limiting numbers at the door with marshalls resulting it being a very pleasant, crowd free experience inside. It was no worse than pre-covid times because of the crowd control.

Had to wait a few minutes to get in, but was far nicer experience than the other supermarkets who are letting every man and his dog in at once.

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:42 - Dec 31 with 3295 viewsbluelagos

Don't know about you, but some of us need food...

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:43 - Dec 31 with 3298 viewsMeadowlark

It's not that supermarkets are letting people in that's the problem. It's that people are going to supermarkets!

Are the supermarkets the police now?
Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:43 - Dec 31 with 3299 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:39 - Dec 31 by DublinBlue84

Not all supermarkets are like this, I was in Waitrose in Sudbury a couple of times recently and they were limiting numbers at the door with marshalls resulting it being a very pleasant, crowd free experience inside. It was no worse than pre-covid times because of the crowd control.

Had to wait a few minutes to get in, but was far nicer experience than the other supermarkets who are letting every man and his dog in at once.

Here there's no measures.

Sanitiser and tissue at the door. But that's it.

I went back later in the evening.

Not going overboard but there must have been over a thousand in their when I first got there. Could barely move without being next to someone

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:44 - Dec 31 with 3290 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:42 - Dec 31 by bluelagos

Don't know about you, but some of us need food...

That's why I said get army to deliver food.

Jesus. People had to ration to get through he war. I'm sure the army dropping off a box would get people through a lockdown.

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:46 - Dec 31 with 3269 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:43 - Dec 31 by Meadowlark

It's not that supermarkets are letting people in that's the problem. It's that people are going to supermarkets!

Are the supermarkets the police now?

No. But they aren't helping the cause.

If they did their duty then a lot of people would stop going until they actually needed to go.

So many are using supermarkets as a day out.

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:46 - Dec 31 with 3278 viewsBlueBadger

Particularly classy family in Aldi Sudbury today - mum in a friesian cow pattern onesie, two lads in t heir late teens/early 20's in their finest Cornard Tuxedos out buying cheap booze 'cos its not yeaaar innit'.
No masks, barging their way around.
'fack orf it ain't real' was the response to being challenged
'It was pretty real for the person about your age and build tat I took to ITU yesterday' might have been my response.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 16:48]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:48 - Dec 31 with 3252 viewsbluelagos

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:44 - Dec 31 by chrismakin

Jesus. People had to ration to get through he war. I'm sure the army dropping off a box would get people through a lockdown.

Cos they are just sitting on their arses atm.

Ok lads, 65m people to deliver food too...

Login to get fewer ads

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:52 - Dec 31 with 3220 viewsbluelagos

And are you aware how much of our food imported? Do we just all go on an enforced diet too?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:02 - Dec 31 with 3174 viewsVaughan8

I think the problem is because nothing else is open, its like their family day out.

I was in my local aldi the other day, not that busy, but this family were just messing about all down the freezer aisles....!

ALso during the first lockdown when the message was really "stay at home", I was behind a woman in the queue of Poundland (I just needed milk and didn't want to queue to get in a supermarket just for that) saying " I walk here everyday just to get out the house" Doh!

However I agree, they should have number limits of some sort.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:03]
Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:05 - Dec 31 with 3157 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:02 - Dec 31 by Vaughan8

I think the problem is because nothing else is open, its like their family day out.

I was in my local aldi the other day, not that busy, but this family were just messing about all down the freezer aisles....!

ALso during the first lockdown when the message was really "stay at home", I was behind a woman in the queue of Poundland (I just needed milk and didn't want to queue to get in a supermarket just for that) saying " I walk here everyday just to get out the house" Doh!

However I agree, they should have number limits of some sort.
[Post edited 31 Dec 2020 17:03]

And there lies the problem.

To many apparent 'essential shops' are open and click and collect services for things ths aren't even urgent. Its just offering families opportunities to go out. And with a large portion of these in the anti covid brigade it makes it even worse.

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:06 - Dec 31 with 3158 viewsChurchman

Most people conform including in supermarkets. The one I went to on Tuesday was fine. However there are stupid people out there like the 30 odd people on a golf course near me on Tuesday who were queued on the first tee in some informal competition, mingling and having a good laugh as normal.

Part of the problem is lack of enforcement. What are supermarkets etc supposed to do? Challenge people and risk a punch in the face? Lack of police, lack of punishment for rule breakers mean people know they can do as they please. If the numbskulls who queued to tramp round the Brecon Beacons the other day had returned to their cars to face a £10k fine for each occupant or jail and a criminal record along with 2 weeks quarantine on an old airforce base or somewhere, the message might have got home. Some people know that they can get away with doing what they want and do so.
Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:19 - Dec 31 with 3077 viewsDublinBlue84

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:05 - Dec 31 by chrismakin

And there lies the problem.

To many apparent 'essential shops' are open and click and collect services for things ths aren't even urgent. Its just offering families opportunities to go out. And with a large portion of these in the anti covid brigade it makes it even worse.

The trouble is that there have been waaaaaayyyyyy to many exceptions added since the first lockdown. There are so many places open now that were not open in the first one, because of things like 'click and collect' and redefining what is deemed as an essential item to include things like Christmas trees.

The only stores that should be open are ones that are in certain types of shop. There should be none of this situation you're seeing where shops go and wholesale buy essential items they do not normally stock, in order to keep trading selling their non essential stuff.

There is no need for people to go out to these stores. Whatever they need that is essential can be bought in supermarkets and pharmacies. Anything else is pretty much not essential. I mean people going into CEX in Ipswich to buy games, or Sweets in the sweet shop or cosmetics from Lush. really is that essential?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:22 - Dec 31 with 3074 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have a partial uppie. The supermarkets could do more imo, although people also have to be responsible for distancing and that isn't happening too much.

But fully agree we should have gone harder on a full lockdown pending the rollout of the vaccines (and shouldn't have delayed some of those programmes until 4th Jan). I think we should have gone down the zero covid approach, but even if we accept our NHS-focussed approach we're failing at the moment. The hospitals in some areas sound utterly desperate. Not that we're allowed to see what's going on as they're all under media blackouts for some bizarre reason.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:23 - Dec 31 with 3071 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:19 - Dec 31 by DublinBlue84

The trouble is that there have been waaaaaayyyyyy to many exceptions added since the first lockdown. There are so many places open now that were not open in the first one, because of things like 'click and collect' and redefining what is deemed as an essential item to include things like Christmas trees.

The only stores that should be open are ones that are in certain types of shop. There should be none of this situation you're seeing where shops go and wholesale buy essential items they do not normally stock, in order to keep trading selling their non essential stuff.

There is no need for people to go out to these stores. Whatever they need that is essential can be bought in supermarkets and pharmacies. Anything else is pretty much not essential. I mean people going into CEX in Ipswich to buy games, or Sweets in the sweet shop or cosmetics from Lush. really is that essential?

Yep correct

I remember seeing the range was open as it sold food. Yeah because that's why you go to range!

With supermarkets selling everything. If something has to be open it should be those only and with police access.

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:25 - Dec 31 with 3064 viewsDublinBlue84

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:06 - Dec 31 by Churchman

Most people conform including in supermarkets. The one I went to on Tuesday was fine. However there are stupid people out there like the 30 odd people on a golf course near me on Tuesday who were queued on the first tee in some informal competition, mingling and having a good laugh as normal.

Part of the problem is lack of enforcement. What are supermarkets etc supposed to do? Challenge people and risk a punch in the face? Lack of police, lack of punishment for rule breakers mean people know they can do as they please. If the numbskulls who queued to tramp round the Brecon Beacons the other day had returned to their cars to face a £10k fine for each occupant or jail and a criminal record along with 2 weeks quarantine on an old airforce base or somewhere, the message might have got home. Some people know that they can get away with doing what they want and do so.

The vast majority of the big four supermarkets are doing far far less now than they were doing in the first lockdown.

During the first lockdown, I've seen some of them with rails and strict quota controls on who they let in, having single queues for the tills, floor markings for waiting in lines and one way systems going in or out. Many stores have abandoned these systems and some don't even clean trollies or baskets anymore, let alone other surfaces.

I know from myself that plenty of my neighbours are going into supermarkets several times a week now whereas in the first lockdown they were doing one or two shops a week at most. Why? Because they know they don't need to wait in a queue, and if they had to, they'd think twice about doing so and would shop bigger and less often.

Waitrose in Sudbury is not my usual supermarket, but the fact that they evidently care about the health and safety of their patrons rather than making as much money as possible by letting the crowds fly in, deserves to be rewarded with my business.

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:26 - Dec 31 with 3060 viewsfactual_blue

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 16:44 - Dec 31 by chrismakin

The total number of armed forces personnel in the UK is around 195,000. The number of households in the UK is around 28 million.

I'll let you do the maths. Even if all 195,000 were available to deliver food (which, obviously they aren't),each one of those 195,000 would have to make four deliveries an hour for forty hours a week.

A logistical impossibility.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:40 - Dec 31 with 3024 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:26 - Dec 31 by factual_blue

The total number of armed forces personnel in the UK is around 195,000. The number of households in the UK is around 28 million.

I'll let you do the maths. Even if all 195,000 were available to deliver food (which, obviously they aren't),each one of those 195,000 would have to make four deliveries an hour for forty hours a week.

A logistical impossibility.

well scrap that motion lol

ok, 1 collection point per town, voucher per household, once you've got it, that's it for the month

job done.

basically anything that actually represents a country trying its actual best to sort this pandemic out

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:43 - Dec 31 with 3002 viewsfactual_blue

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:40 - Dec 31 by chrismakin

ok, 1 collection point per town, voucher per household, once you've got it, that's it for the month

job done.

basically anything that actually represents a country trying its actual best to sort this pandemic out

Still a massive logistical and administrative nightmare.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:57 - Dec 31 with 2954 viewsbluelagos

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:40 - Dec 31 by chrismakin

job done.

So imagine all the food in the various supermarkets in Ipswich. Now we need to build a whole new big one, with freezers, storage, delivery bays for receiving goods etc.

As for the oldies collecting, with no cars, that's a hell of a walk carrying your months shopping for her. Or the mums with kids (cos you've closed the schools) dragging their kids there.

Appreciate your frustration at seeing some people who you don't approve of in the supermarket, but not sure "use the army" etc. is remotely feasible.

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:02 - Dec 31 with 2915 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:57 - Dec 31 by bluelagos

So imagine all the food in the various supermarkets in Ipswich. Now we need to build a whole new big one, with freezers, storage, delivery bays for receiving goods etc.

As for the oldies collecting, with no cars, that's a hell of a walk carrying your months shopping for her. Or the mums with kids (cos you've closed the schools) dragging their kids there.

Appreciate your frustration at seeing some people who you don't approve of in the supermarket, but not sure "use the army" etc. is remotely feasible.

one of the other posters was spot on to be fair, they said they knew people who went out to supermarkets more now as they dont need to queue to get in etc

IF supermarkets were the only thing open, and were policed properly, that would have a massive effect

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:03 - Dec 31 with 2910 viewsDebsyAngel

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 17:25 - Dec 31 by DublinBlue84

The vast majority of the big four supermarkets are doing far far less now than they were doing in the first lockdown.

During the first lockdown, I've seen some of them with rails and strict quota controls on who they let in, having single queues for the tills, floor markings for waiting in lines and one way systems going in or out. Many stores have abandoned these systems and some don't even clean trollies or baskets anymore, let alone other surfaces.

I know from myself that plenty of my neighbours are going into supermarkets several times a week now whereas in the first lockdown they were doing one or two shops a week at most. Why? Because they know they don't need to wait in a queue, and if they had to, they'd think twice about doing so and would shop bigger and less often.

Waitrose in Sudbury is not my usual supermarket, but the fact that they evidently care about the health and safety of their patrons rather than making as much money as possible by letting the crowds fly in, deserves to be rewarded with my business.

Agree with your points.

We have only been shopping 3 times between us a week - my husband does the main shop alone at the local Aldi/Coop/Home Bargains and again midweek for stuff like milk/salad/fruit.

I go once a week into town to get stuff that is not sold/run out in Boots and Sainsburys.

I noticed in the November lockdown that the few shops I do go in still had door staff but were letting far too many people in. Don't ever see any cleaning going on in any place now, and distancing seems to be a thing of the past. I try my best to distance and take my own hand wipes to clean basket handles/rails I need to use. Also gel my hands at every opportunity. The markings on paths are all faded/peeled off and no attempt at anyone to stay on the correct sides of the street - the most basic of rules. We also clean everything we buy/bags etc each time, and also wipe down any post.

I am terrified of spending another year like this. It has nearly finished me off mentally and emotionally and I am struggling to carry on to be honest.
Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:05 - Dec 31 with 2898 viewsbluelagos

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:02 - Dec 31 by chrismakin

one of the other posters was spot on to be fair, they said they knew people who went out to supermarkets more now as they dont need to queue to get in etc

IF supermarkets were the only thing open, and were policed properly, that would have a massive effect

"IF supermarkets were the only thing open, and were policed properly, that would have a massive effect "

That's a hell of a lot more reasonable than what you were advocating earlier!

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:10 - Dec 31 with 2883 viewschrismakin

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:05 - Dec 31 by bluelagos

"IF supermarkets were the only thing open, and were policed properly, that would have a massive effect "

That's a hell of a lot more reasonable than what you were advocating earlier!

yeah tbf I had no idea our army numbers were so small

they probably arent small for an island like ours, but i had a much bigger figure in my head lol

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:11 - Dec 31 with 2874 viewsbluelagos

Nearly 60,000 covid cases on 18:03 - Dec 31 by DebsyAngel

Agree with your points.

We have only been shopping 3 times between us a week - my husband does the main shop alone at the local Aldi/Coop/Home Bargains and again midweek for stuff like milk/salad/fruit.

I go once a week into town to get stuff that is not sold/run out in Boots and Sainsburys.

I noticed in the November lockdown that the few shops I do go in still had door staff but were letting far too many people in. Don't ever see any cleaning going on in any place now, and distancing seems to be a thing of the past. I try my best to distance and take my own hand wipes to clean basket handles/rails I need to use. Also gel my hands at every opportunity. The markings on paths are all faded/peeled off and no attempt at anyone to stay on the correct sides of the street - the most basic of rules. We also clean everything we buy/bags etc each time, and also wipe down any post.

I am terrified of spending another year like this. It has nearly finished me off mentally and emotionally and I am struggling to carry on to be honest.

Plenty of delivery/c&c slots are available if it causes you significant anxiety/stress entering shops.

Even the co-op have started now, with a 3 hour wait from order for those of us in the sticks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024