Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just leaving this here .... 13:19 - Jan 29 with 2932 viewsKeno

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Just leaving this here .... on 13:21 - Jan 29 with 2906 viewsDanTheMan

I brought this up before, Japan is strikingly similar to us in terms of geography (being an island), population density, aging population etc.

Except they've managed to do far, far better than we have.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 13:21]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Just leaving this here .... on 13:22 - Jan 29 with 2888 viewsJ2BLUE

Just leaving this here .... on 13:21 - Jan 29 by DanTheMan

I brought this up before, Japan is strikingly similar to us in terms of geography (being an island), population density, aging population etc.

The only thing they haven't done so well is getting vaccines. Unless they've rectified that. They aren't due the Oxford one until about November.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Just leaving this here .... on 13:22 - Jan 29 with 2884 viewschicoazul

Do Japan record covid deaths the same way we do?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Just leaving this here .... on 13:22 - Jan 29 with 2884 viewsKeno

Its quite startling when you it like that isnt it?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Just leaving this here .... on 13:27 - Jan 29 with 2865 viewsMetal_Hacker

I think it'd tend to be a upbringing thing as well

Where as a lot of people in this Country have been dragged up and not brought up ,I'd tend to think that the Japanese philosophy on a lot of things is very different to (no offence to anyone) but the type of people I see roaming around on particular estate over in Rotherham

Those brought up having empathy and respect for others and then there's the others

Poll: If it were one or the other

Just leaving this here .... on 13:28 - Jan 29 with 2858 viewsStokieBlue

One factor is that mask wearing on places like the tube is just common and standard there after their experiences with flu in 1919 and more recently SARS. That simple fact alone probably cut off loads of vectors in early transmission back before everyone got their mask act together.

There are also cultural differences in that the Japanese tend to follow the rules when asked and their government simply told them to avoid transmission hotspots such as badly ventilated places.

There is clearly more to it than the above though so I am sure over the coming years there will be research papers on why they have done far better than not just the UK but virtually anywhere.

Back in July there was some thought that they had resistance to a different form of covid and that might have helped but that seems to have gone quiet and probably has been debunked. I've not checked though and can't right now.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Just leaving this here .... on 13:28 - Jan 29 with 2860 viewsBrightonBlue

Putting politics aside for one moment, there are fundamental differences between Japanese and UK culture. Many Japanese already wore face masks when having a cold or virus. In addition the level of cleanliness in Japan is on a different level culturally. You may recall at the Russia World Cup the Japanese fans clearing rubbish from their part of the stadium. Compare that with the self entitlement that is endemic in the UK.
Just leaving this here .... on 13:28 - Jan 29 with 2852 viewsfactual_blue

If your deaths from Covid are roughly one per 25,000, you're probably a little less concerned than if your deaths are roughly one per 664 people.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Just leaving this here .... on 13:30 - Jan 29 with 2850 viewsGuthrum

Little bit of an oversimplification.

When you take into account the different strains of Covid and how they spread, we (along with the Iranians, Italians, French and Spanish) got a dose of something much nastier than the prevalent version of the virus in much of the East/South-East Asia region.

Also, the first wave in Japan was quite geographically concentrated, which made it easier to isolate and deal with. Unlike the UK, where it was seeded in numerous locations pretty much simultaneously - even before it was perceived to be a real problem (i.e. late January to early March).

And our second wave included a particularly dangerous mutation.

That's not to say the Government did anything like a perfect job, but there are other factors to take into account.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just leaving this here .... on 13:42 - Jan 29 with 2783 viewsghostofescobar

Just leaving this here .... on 13:28 - Jan 29 by BrightonBlue

Putting politics aside for one moment, there are fundamental differences between Japanese and UK culture. Many Japanese already wore face masks when having a cold or virus. In addition the level of cleanliness in Japan is on a different level culturally. You may recall at the Russia World Cup the Japanese fans clearing rubbish from their part of the stadium. Compare that with the self entitlement that is endemic in the UK.

Agree with this. We have too many selfish people in this country, whereas many Asian countries do generally feel a sense of duty to their family, neighbours and nation that many in the UK simply do not. Some of this is dressed up as valuing our liberties/freedom, but that's bvllsh1t in my opinion: we have developed into a land of consumerist, self centred, values poor, money driven, ignorant, intolerant, self interested tw@ts............in some instances!

GhostOfEscobar

Just leaving this here .... on 13:45 - Jan 29 with 2749 viewsIllinoisblue

Just leaving this here .... on 13:42 - Jan 29 by ghostofescobar

Agree with this. We have too many selfish people in this country, whereas many Asian countries do generally feel a sense of duty to their family, neighbours and nation that many in the UK simply do not. Some of this is dressed up as valuing our liberties/freedom, but that's bvllsh1t in my opinion: we have developed into a land of consumerist, self centred, values poor, money driven, ignorant, intolerant, self interested tw@ts............in some instances!

Indeed. The rise of the entitled simpleton is largely why the UK is such a mess.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Just leaving this here .... on 14:22 - Jan 29 with 2686 viewsBlueBadger

Just leaving this here .... on 13:45 - Jan 29 by Illinoisblue

Indeed. The rise of the entitled simpleton is largely why the UK is such a mess.

Yes, but the Labour Party.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Just leaving this here .... on 14:28 - Jan 29 with 2666 viewslowhouseblue

how many japanese people were skiing in the italy / austria last feb /mar? one of the things abut the uk is that back in march we had something like (can't remember the precise figure) 3,000 separate original outbreaks many of which seem to be connected with people returning from winter holidays.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Just leaving this here .... on 14:34 - Jan 29 with 2644 viewsbluelagos

Just leaving this here .... on 14:28 - Jan 29 by lowhouseblue

how many japanese people were skiing in the italy / austria last feb /mar? one of the things abut the uk is that back in march we had something like (can't remember the precise figure) 3,000 separate original outbreaks many of which seem to be connected with people returning from winter holidays.

Given that they ordered their schools to close in February, I'd guess not very many were off skiing.

Yes, that is not a typo. I just checked the message that a teacher who works in Japan sent me, and it was February 27th that the order was made.

The schools went onto google lessons pretty much immediately.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Just leaving this here .... on 14:38 - Jan 29 with 2624 viewsBloomBlue

And Japan was one of the few countries not to have a nationally mandated lockdown, the government ordered a state of emergency but staying at home was voluntary.
Just leaving this here .... on 14:47 - Jan 29 with 2608 viewsbluewark

Maybe they are not obese and old. That was a reason Mother Thérèse Coffey gave the other day for our high numbers
Just leaving this here .... on 16:23 - Jan 29 with 2558 viewseireblue

Just leaving this here .... on 13:30 - Jan 29 by Guthrum

Little bit of an oversimplification.

When you take into account the different strains of Covid and how they spread, we (along with the Iranians, Italians, French and Spanish) got a dose of something much nastier than the prevalent version of the virus in much of the East/South-East Asia region.

Also, the first wave in Japan was quite geographically concentrated, which made it easier to isolate and deal with. Unlike the UK, where it was seeded in numerous locations pretty much simultaneously - even before it was perceived to be a real problem (i.e. late January to early March).

And our second wave included a particularly dangerous mutation.

That's not to say the Government did anything like a perfect job, but there are other factors to take into account.

“... even before it was perceived to be a real problem...”

Correct, Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock didn’t perceive it to be a big danger, the former of course was having a bit of rest and getting his divorce sorted.
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 17:38]
Just leaving this here .... on 16:40 - Jan 29 with 2529 viewseastangliaisblue

I still scratch my head how Cheltenham festival was still allowed to go ahead, while the rest of Europe was locking down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024