Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Jordan made a good point 12:15 - Feb 17 with 3038 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at the owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:18 - Feb 17 with 2980 viewsclive_baker

It's a very good question. I would imagine it's because he's clueless when it comes to football. He doesn't have a background in football and doesn't have the right people in the club at the right level to advise him. Lambert probably turned up well dressed, smelling nice and spouted some sh1t about big clubs, Champions League medals and Premier league management and ME was rock hard.

I'll give Lambert credit, he talks a good game when he needs to. He holds a room, I've seen it. I'm even seeing it today amongst our fans today and how he's deflecting blame. Evans is an awful owner and Lambert is a terrible football manager. Both of those things can be true, they're not mutually exclusive.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:19 - Feb 17 with 2939 viewshype313

He also said he must be good at interviews, which is probably why he got the gig.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:26 - Feb 17 with 2845 viewsJ2BLUE

I have to hold my hands up and say I supported him being brought in and I wasn't alone. Many of us saw him as a safe and experienced option and were perhaps blinded by what he did down the road.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:41 - Feb 17 with 2676 viewshype313

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:26 - Feb 17 by J2BLUE

I have to hold my hands up and say I supported him being brought in and I wasn't alone. Many of us saw him as a safe and experienced option and were perhaps blinded by what he did down the road.

I think after the Hurst debacle we all were in the same thought process, trouble was we all seemed to bypass his time at Wolves, Villa and Stoke, or at the very least turned a blind eye.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:42 - Feb 17 with 2674 viewsGuthrum

You weren't alone. I was the same. Hoped he'd do for us what he'd managed at Norwich.

Moreover, I was delighted at Lambert's early work to bring the club and fans back together after the turmoil of the last weeks of McCarthy and Hurst's tenure. Just he couldn't get things working on the pitch and then gave up on the PR stuff, too.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:44 - Feb 17 with 2624 viewsIpswichKnight

Though some people ( sadly not me ) did mention that was all down to Culverhouse and Lambert was just a PR front. Turns out they were pretty much spot on!
Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:46 - Feb 17 with 2581 viewsdavblue

I wasn't, nothing to do with his Norwich connections just thought he was done as a manager.
Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:46 - Feb 17 with 2572 viewsnoggin

Because he played for Dortmund?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Login to get fewer ads

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:47 - Feb 17 with 2551 viewsMrTown

You were certainly not alone.

I certainly wasn't adverse at the time, again partially due to the fact I had seen what he had done up the road - from L1 to Prem - was foolishly thinking he would carbon copy it here.

He had a very good squad at Norwich, and built up some early momentum that couldn't be stopped.

He built the wrong type of momentum here, had relegated us within 8 months and has never recovered.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:50 - Feb 17 with 2507 viewsbluewein

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:44 - Feb 17 by IpswichKnight

Though some people ( sadly not me ) did mention that was all down to Culverhouse and Lambert was just a PR front. Turns out they were pretty much spot on!

Still not having this Culverhouse stuff. Cause for all the apparent brilliance, he's still been in the national leagues for the last seven years and not one club seems to have spotted this "talant".

Lambert had a decent period of management at the beginning then as many others have found, football found him out...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:50 - Feb 17 with 2490 viewsPlums

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:42 - Feb 17 by Guthrum

You weren't alone. I was the same. Hoped he'd do for us what he'd managed at Norwich.

Moreover, I was delighted at Lambert's early work to bring the club and fans back together after the turmoil of the last weeks of McCarthy and Hurst's tenure. Just he couldn't get things working on the pitch and then gave up on the PR stuff, too.

I thought he was a surprising appointment but one that might work given his record with our six fingered friends. Unfortunately he has shown that he’s learned nothing over the years (even down to banishing senior pros who disagree with him) other than a few beers and a bus and a bit of clapping wil paper over his inadequacy for a while.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:54 - Feb 17 with 2443 viewsGuthrum

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:50 - Feb 17 by bluewein

Still not having this Culverhouse stuff. Cause for all the apparent brilliance, he's still been in the national leagues for the last seven years and not one club seems to have spotted this "talant".

Lambert had a decent period of management at the beginning then as many others have found, football found him out...

Perhaps it's the case that Culverhouse needs Lambert as much as the other way around. The rumours when he was abruptly sacked at Villa were of personality issues. Maybe Lambert is the only one who has been able to handle that aspect of him?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:55 - Feb 17 with 2424 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I think we were all concerned about how poor he had been at Villa and Stoke, and how miserable and low energy his is.

....but, I hung my hopes on the idea that he could rediscover his 'Norwich form'.

Happy to admit I was very wrong.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:56 - Feb 17 with 2411 viewsTieDyedIn95

Why did Marcus Evans appoint Roy Keane?
He had a complete meltdown at Sunderland, at one point smashed a tactics board over the captains head, was only communicating to the board and some players via text, threatening some of them and they were awful under him.

Why did Marcus Evans appoint Paul Jewell?
Had been out of the game a long while, took Derby down with record low points and a side widely recognised as the worse the Premier League had ever seen. Evans gave him a job, and when even Jewell wanted to quit, Evans wouldn't let him.

Mick McCarthy?
Paul Jewell suggested him.

Paul Hurst?
After the likes of Lampard and Gerrard weren't interested in working with the 4th lowest budget in the Championship, Mick having already been gone for months he then tried Jack Ross, who went to Sunderland for more money and then his next target on the young and exciting managers list was Paul Hurst, a man who had largely managed in the non-league who had a flukey one off good season with Shrewsbury but still won absolutely nothing with them, so Evans appoints him.

Lets look at Hurst's major successes before he came here...

Northern Premier League Premier Division play-offs: 2008—09
Lincolnshire Senior Shield: 2009—10
Northern Premier League Premier Division play-offs: 2009—10
Northern Premier League Challenge Cup: 2009—10[
Lincolnshire Senior Cup: 2011—12, 2012—13
FA Trophy runner-up: 2012—13
National League play-offs: 2015—16
FA Trophy runner-up: 2015—16
EFL Trophy runner-up: 2017—18

You see that and wonder how on earth a non-league manager was ever given a go here, let alone being allowed to cause the destruction he did. It was like putting the tea boy in charge.

Paul Lambert
Young and exciting didn't work so we were back to barrel scraping, he screwed Norwich over, failed at Villa, Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke so was an ideal appointment for Evans because he'd heard of him.

Marcus Evans doesn't know what he's doing, it's that simple. He's a rubbish owner, surrounds himself with rubbish people and won't accept this isn't working.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 13:31 - Feb 17 with 2179 viewsBlueForYou

Simon Jordan made a good point on 12:56 - Feb 17 by TieDyedIn95

Why did Marcus Evans appoint Roy Keane?
He had a complete meltdown at Sunderland, at one point smashed a tactics board over the captains head, was only communicating to the board and some players via text, threatening some of them and they were awful under him.

Why did Marcus Evans appoint Paul Jewell?
Had been out of the game a long while, took Derby down with record low points and a side widely recognised as the worse the Premier League had ever seen. Evans gave him a job, and when even Jewell wanted to quit, Evans wouldn't let him.

Mick McCarthy?
Paul Jewell suggested him.

Paul Hurst?
After the likes of Lampard and Gerrard weren't interested in working with the 4th lowest budget in the Championship, Mick having already been gone for months he then tried Jack Ross, who went to Sunderland for more money and then his next target on the young and exciting managers list was Paul Hurst, a man who had largely managed in the non-league who had a flukey one off good season with Shrewsbury but still won absolutely nothing with them, so Evans appoints him.

Lets look at Hurst's major successes before he came here...

Northern Premier League Premier Division play-offs: 2008—09
Lincolnshire Senior Shield: 2009—10
Northern Premier League Premier Division play-offs: 2009—10
Northern Premier League Challenge Cup: 2009—10[
Lincolnshire Senior Cup: 2011—12, 2012—13
FA Trophy runner-up: 2012—13
National League play-offs: 2015—16
FA Trophy runner-up: 2015—16
EFL Trophy runner-up: 2017—18

You see that and wonder how on earth a non-league manager was ever given a go here, let alone being allowed to cause the destruction he did. It was like putting the tea boy in charge.

Paul Lambert
Young and exciting didn't work so we were back to barrel scraping, he screwed Norwich over, failed at Villa, Wolves, Blackburn and Stoke so was an ideal appointment for Evans because he'd heard of him.

Marcus Evans doesn't know what he's doing, it's that simple. He's a rubbish owner, surrounds himself with rubbish people and won't accept this isn't working.

Very very good post
Simon Jordan made a good point on 14:16 - Feb 17 with 1979 viewsBlueBadger

I can forgive people for hoping he did well and replicated his time at Norwich.

However I simply don't understand why people continued to support him after March 2019 when he'd gotten us relegated so limply from a potentially salvagable position.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Simon Jordan made a good point on 14:25 - Feb 17 with 1933 viewsCoastalblue

I felt much the same, and added to that I have friends who are Stoke fans who all assured me he'd sort us out and some of them were sorry to see him go from there, unfashinable thought though it may be on here a number of them thought he was starting to do a decent job there.

I think if he were a slightly better manager on the football side and combined that with what he did early on, bringing the club back together, it could have been very different here.

Sadly he's actually about as bad as you can get as a manager, a lot like Keane in a way, one purple spell in a perfect storm but otherwise useless.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Simon Jordan made a good point on 14:39 - Feb 17 with 1882 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Simon Jordan made a good point on 14:25 - Feb 17 by Coastalblue

I felt much the same, and added to that I have friends who are Stoke fans who all assured me he'd sort us out and some of them were sorry to see him go from there, unfashinable thought though it may be on here a number of them thought he was starting to do a decent job there.

I think if he were a slightly better manager on the football side and combined that with what he did early on, bringing the club back together, it could have been very different here.

Sadly he's actually about as bad as you can get as a manager, a lot like Keane in a way, one purple spell in a perfect storm but otherwise useless.

A bit baffled by the Stoke comment. Their fans would know more than me clearly but under his command they achieved basically the same ppg, were relegated with games to spare and having won his first game, then only won once more which was a dead rubber against also already relegated Swansea on the last day

Was he buying pints and writing nice things about the fans in the programme there too?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024