Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow 09:32 - Mar 12 with 5517 viewsbluelagos

Not going to put details up here but anyone interested pm me and I'll share what I know.

Edit: Pretty sure it's cancelled now.

Fundraiser here
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/reclaimthesestreets
[Post edited 13 Mar 2021 8:38]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:04 - Mar 12 with 3199 viewshomer_123

Whilst I recognise and respect the right of anyone to protest.

I would ask anyone thinking of joining a large gathering to contemplate and reflect on this before doing so, given the current Covid situation.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:19 - Mar 12 with 3157 viewsclive_baker

Anything men can do to help women feel more comfortable and safe on our streets I'm all for. I've seen a lot of things being shared on social media which I've learned a bit from, crossing the road if I'm walking behind a female for example which I probably wouldn't have considered previously. That's all great, and I'm all for it. Raising awareness of the issue is important.

The problem for me really is it's preaching to the converted in some respects isn't it? They won't legislate for the actions of lunatics like whoever committed that crime on Sarah Everard. The world will never be rid of psycho's like that.

The question moving forward and what I really hope comes from this is asking what tangible actions can we take to help prevent such, admittedly rate, events from happening. Prevention is better than cure. Practical solutions, deterrents by way of the stiffest of sentences for lesser crimes. I don't know the stats but I would wager it's rare to go from clean record civilian to committing a murder of a stranger. This chap, if it is indeed he who did this, was reported only 2 days before for indecent exposure, and was still at work the next day.

How can we better work with and reform those who might be likely of committing such crimes, if they're not beyond help. Can we use technology to better protect innocent civilians? As fellow citizens, what signs should we be looking out for each other as we go about our business to help protect others? There's an education piece probably. I really hope Sarah doesn't die in vein, and we can keep learning lessons to help mitigate the risk of this happening again.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 10:20]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:37 - Mar 12 with 3093 viewsFixed_It

Irresponsible at this time. Obviously I agree with the sentiment, but...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:40 - Mar 12 with 3089 viewsRadlett_blue

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:19 - Mar 12 by clive_baker

Anything men can do to help women feel more comfortable and safe on our streets I'm all for. I've seen a lot of things being shared on social media which I've learned a bit from, crossing the road if I'm walking behind a female for example which I probably wouldn't have considered previously. That's all great, and I'm all for it. Raising awareness of the issue is important.

The problem for me really is it's preaching to the converted in some respects isn't it? They won't legislate for the actions of lunatics like whoever committed that crime on Sarah Everard. The world will never be rid of psycho's like that.

The question moving forward and what I really hope comes from this is asking what tangible actions can we take to help prevent such, admittedly rate, events from happening. Prevention is better than cure. Practical solutions, deterrents by way of the stiffest of sentences for lesser crimes. I don't know the stats but I would wager it's rare to go from clean record civilian to committing a murder of a stranger. This chap, if it is indeed he who did this, was reported only 2 days before for indecent exposure, and was still at work the next day.

How can we better work with and reform those who might be likely of committing such crimes, if they're not beyond help. Can we use technology to better protect innocent civilians? As fellow citizens, what signs should we be looking out for each other as we go about our business to help protect others? There's an education piece probably. I really hope Sarah doesn't die in vein, and we can keep learning lessons to help mitigate the risk of this happening again.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 10:20]

A thoughtful post, but like most forms of anti social and criminal behaviour, those who do it will completely ignore the sentiments. As you say, you're preaching to the converted & that often makes decent citizens feel better about themselves.
It's pretty much a proven fact that stiff sentences make next to no difference to the likelihood of someone committing crime, although they please Daily Mail readers. Prison doesn't work & locking people up for relatively minor offences does nothing to reduce the re-offending rate & probably increases it.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:44 - Mar 12 with 3073 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:37 - Mar 12 by Fixed_It

Irresponsible at this time. Obviously I agree with the sentiment, but...

But what?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-suffolk-52951826

Perfectly possible to demonstrate in CV secure manner, as many people did in June in Ipswich.

Of course that requires people to actually give a fck.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:47 - Mar 12 with 3063 viewsFixed_It

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:44 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

But what?

Perfectly possible to demonstrate in CV secure manner, as many people did in June in Ipswich.

We'll see. They still have to travel to get there etc. And as others have said, it is merely preaching to the converted and making people feel good about themselves. It is hardly likely to impact the potential perpetrators in any way.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:48 - Mar 12 with 3038 viewsclive_baker

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:40 - Mar 12 by Radlett_blue

A thoughtful post, but like most forms of anti social and criminal behaviour, those who do it will completely ignore the sentiments. As you say, you're preaching to the converted & that often makes decent citizens feel better about themselves.
It's pretty much a proven fact that stiff sentences make next to no difference to the likelihood of someone committing crime, although they please Daily Mail readers. Prison doesn't work & locking people up for relatively minor offences does nothing to reduce the re-offending rate & probably increases it.

I think there's 2 issues at play. 1 is what small changes can we make that help women feel safer in their day to day? I would wager all women have felt unsafe at some point, mostly unnecessarily (as they don't all fall victim to crime). So if there's changes we can make socially, or technologically to reduce the likelihood of that and make people feel safer walking our streets then we should be all ears. That could improve the quality of life for all women. And men, to be fair.

None of that probably prevents what happened to Sarah Everard though. Legislating for a lunatic deciding to go out at night and abduct and murder a stranger is much more difficult.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:52 - Mar 12 with 3032 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:48 - Mar 12 by clive_baker

I think there's 2 issues at play. 1 is what small changes can we make that help women feel safer in their day to day? I would wager all women have felt unsafe at some point, mostly unnecessarily (as they don't all fall victim to crime). So if there's changes we can make socially, or technologically to reduce the likelihood of that and make people feel safer walking our streets then we should be all ears. That could improve the quality of life for all women. And men, to be fair.

None of that probably prevents what happened to Sarah Everard though. Legislating for a lunatic deciding to go out at night and abduct and murder a stranger is much more difficult.

People aren't born violent to women, any more than people are born racist.

Sexist attitudes are learned and everyone who turns a blind eye, laughs them off is enabling them. For me, they need to be challenged just as robustly as racist ones are imho.

I know in the past I haven't been as vocal over sexism as I have over racism and that is wrong.

Login to get fewer ads

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:55 - Mar 12 with 3023 viewsFixed_It

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:47 - Mar 12 by Fixed_It

We'll see. They still have to travel to get there etc. And as others have said, it is merely preaching to the converted and making people feel good about themselves. It is hardly likely to impact the potential perpetrators in any way.

Well I clearly 'don't give a fck'. Please enlighten me what it is that is hoped to be achieved, other than the possible spread of covid? Yes, it highlights an issue. But I don't need to be there to be aware. I'm not deliberately being awkward, I just don't see what the objective is, and question the timing when we are still in lockdown.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:59 - Mar 12 with 3005 viewsTractorWood

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:44 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

But what?

I think it's fair to ask about precautions on covid as this does, factually speaking appear to be in breach of the law. A law that is in place to keep everyone as safe as possible during a global pandemic. Short, medium and long term.

It's tragic this can't just go ahead but in reality every day people are making fundamental sacrifices of their freedom to ensure this goes away. People need to buy into that. Freedom is laid out with tangible dates and encouraging data, people just need to wait a tiny bit longer.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 11:07 - Mar 12 with 2939 viewsFixed_It

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:55 - Mar 12 by Fixed_It

Well I clearly 'don't give a fck'. Please enlighten me what it is that is hoped to be achieved, other than the possible spread of covid? Yes, it highlights an issue. But I don't need to be there to be aware. I'm not deliberately being awkward, I just don't see what the objective is, and question the timing when we are still in lockdown.

Easy to give downarrows. But I have asked you to enlighten me re. the objectives of such a gathering - at a time when it is in breach of the lockdown laws.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 11:10 - Mar 12 with 2921 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Ipswich is a unsafe place in places at night. It won't be solved until there is more policing and dealing with the various criminal gangs that operate throughout the town.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 13:56 - Mar 12 with 2766 viewsBlueBadger

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 11:10 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

Ipswich is a unsafe place in places at night. It won't be solved until there is more policing and dealing with the various criminal gangs that operate throughout the town.

Starting with Tom Hunt, who's representing the criminal gang who've spent the last ten years reducing police numbers.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 14:26 - Mar 12 with 2715 viewsBlueWorldOrder

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 13:56 - Mar 12 by BlueBadger

Starting with Tom Hunt, who's representing the criminal gang who've spent the last ten years reducing police numbers.

What about the culture of the Town though? He's not been an MP over the 20 years of the decline in Ipswich. We need a better community as well.

Poll: Should we stop changing kits every season?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 14:38 - Mar 12 with 2690 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:52 - Mar 12 by bluelagos

People aren't born violent to women, any more than people are born racist.

Sexist attitudes are learned and everyone who turns a blind eye, laughs them off is enabling them. For me, they need to be challenged just as robustly as racist ones are imho.

I know in the past I haven't been as vocal over sexism as I have over racism and that is wrong.

We have a society and economic system with unequal power dynamics at their core, until both of these change to something more egalitarian/cooperative the consequences will play out in all sorts of unsavory ways.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 14:39 - Mar 12 with 2687 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 10:55 - Mar 12 by Fixed_It

I imagine it is about wanting to be heard!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:15 - Mar 12 with 2633 viewsBlueBadger

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 14:26 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

What about the culture of the Town though? He's not been an MP over the 20 years of the decline in Ipswich. We need a better community as well.

I quite agree. A community that would elect a desperately thick xenophobic sycophant like Hunt could probably do with some immigration to make it more open minded.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 15:20]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:17 - Mar 12 with 2598 viewsmikeybloo88

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 14:39 - Mar 12 by BanksterDebtSlave

I imagine it is about wanting to be heard!

Time and a place though...and it isn't now. Seems to me this has grown from a vigil for Sarah into a nationwide let's all get out of the house opportunity for some....just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Anyone advocating attending mass gatherings is again sticking two fingers up at those who have done so much over the last few months to get us to a point of near freedom. I suspect most attending these events will have yet to be vaccinated so I don't see why waiting a few more months to then gather for a decent cause is so tough.
Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:19 - Mar 12 with 2602 viewsjeera

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 14:26 - Mar 12 by BlueWorldOrder

So perhaps the local MP would be best placed to oversee this change?

But most certainly not this one.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:20 - Mar 12 with 2596 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't see an issue if they are wearing masks and keeping distance.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:27 - Mar 12 with 2566 viewsmonytowbray

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:20 - Mar 12 by J2BLUE

Don't see an issue if they are wearing masks and keeping distance.

I've been to multiple protests during COVID and I've felt safer and less vulnerable at all of them than I do when I have to pop to the supermarket or use public transport.

Those who whinge about them would do good to actually attend one rather than making up b0ll0cks in their own mind.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:27 - Mar 12 with 2567 viewsbluelagos

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 11:07 - Mar 12 by Fixed_It

Easy to give downarrows. But I have asked you to enlighten me re. the objectives of such a gathering - at a time when it is in breach of the lockdown laws.

Sorry, been out.

I don't speak for anyone other than myself, but to stand in solidarity with anyone else disgusted as the continuing issue of male violence towards women is a good enough reason for me. You of course are welcome not to agree / share my views.

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:28 - Mar 12 with 2553 viewsBlueBadger

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:17 - Mar 12 by mikeybloo88

Time and a place though...and it isn't now. Seems to me this has grown from a vigil for Sarah into a nationwide let's all get out of the house opportunity for some....just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Anyone advocating attending mass gatherings is again sticking two fingers up at those who have done so much over the last few months to get us to a point of near freedom. I suspect most attending these events will have yet to be vaccinated so I don't see why waiting a few more months to then gather for a decent cause is so tough.

If not now, when?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:29 - Mar 12 with 2543 viewsmonytowbray

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:28 - Mar 12 by BlueBadger

If not now, when?

It's the classic MCWB syndrome that Glassers self diagnosed last year.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Seems there is a Reclaim the streets event in Ipswich tomorrow on 15:37 - Mar 12 with 2519 viewsSwansea_Blue

Super important issue. If it's acceptable to open up schools and have people crammed on commuter trains because they have been told they have to be in work, surely we can find a way to try and raise awareness of violence against women?

I do worry about the idiots who don't seem to understand the concept of social distancing and personal space. Also public transport could be a problem. But an outside, socially distanced gathering should be fine based on what we know. Keeping it socially distanced is the challenge.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024