Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Div 1 becomes the prem 20:21 - Apr 19 with 1521 viewschrismakin

Can someone around at that time give some insight into how this change was received.

I cant remember anything about it... was it something as big as this super league or was it seen as a positive move..

Do you think it was a positive or wish it remained the same?

Also. Side note. J2 if you see this. Regarding takeover. I'm now excited

The future will show what happens. But they seem to be onboard with what makes a club tick.. the fans. The structure. So I'm now fully behind it.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:30 - Apr 19 with 1462 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

It was seen, to me at least, just as the Superleague is now. A power grab, an unnecessary change of how things had used to be.

They were ruining something that did not need fixing. It was cynical move of the big clubs circling their wagons and was the catalyst of the modern game going down hill.

Of course, that was all forgotten about for a while at least as we surfed the Lyall wave. What a time to be alive that was.
Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:33 - Apr 19 with 1444 viewsJ2BLUE

Thank god. I was like:

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:38 - Apr 19 with 1424 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It was painted very similar to this as something where there would be guarantees for the top clubs, an uneven distribution of money and a much smaller top division. Some of that came about (the uneven distribution of money certainly), but the division only shrunk to 20 from 24 and I think overall it was far less damaging to football than was initially feared. We have still had little clubs make it into the Premier League. Newcastle and Manchester City were two of the big guns who were not immune to relegation and Leicester have achieved what we were led to believe would never be possible again.

I expect this will end up a much diluted version of what the clubs involved initially envisioned (if it happens at all) and will, similar to the Premier League have a less damaging effect than potentially feared. However, this will only be thanks to the vehement opposition that it faces.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:50 - Apr 19 with 1373 viewspatrickswell

It was a mixed bag as I remember it...

One of the reasons being given behind its formation was that it would supposedly make England a stronger side by concentrating money at the top level, which was after all, where all the internationals would come from.

Cosmetically, little appeared to change. 22 clubs broke away to form it, but 3 of those clubs were relegated at the end of the season and 3 replaced them (one of which was us, of course).
Sky bagging live TV coverage was the big point of contention as it was seen as forcing football fans to shovel money into Murdoch's pocket, though I remember this was slightly offset by Match of the Day returning as a regular Saturday evening show.

Fear of a Super League had been prevalent for years, but as I remember the worry was that the big clubs would break away with Rangers and Celtic and play in a mini-league. TV coverage in the late 80s encouraged this thinking because so much live football revolved around the same half-dozen clubs though Norwich got some live games during some of their late-80s good seasons. People may scoff at SKY showing Lincoln vs Peterborough live to a minisucle audience, but it should be remembered that around 80 clubs would only likely ever get a live game on terrestrial TV if they had a Cup run.
Div 1 becomes the prem on 21:31 - Apr 19 with 1248 viewsTieDyedIn95

Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:30 - Apr 19 by BlueBlueBluex2

It was seen, to me at least, just as the Superleague is now. A power grab, an unnecessary change of how things had used to be.

They were ruining something that did not need fixing. It was cynical move of the big clubs circling their wagons and was the catalyst of the modern game going down hill.

Of course, that was all forgotten about for a while at least as we surfed the Lyall wave. What a time to be alive that was.

Part of it was to help remove the tarnish the English game had from the fighting and racism. Tied in with new Sky TV the money could help build English football and develop an English team that could win a major competition. That nearly happened in 1996 and would have if Gazza was an inch taller. Everyone I knew viewed it as a rebranding and a pro. Back then they still had as many team in the league as before as well and a good mixture of club sizes.

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Div 1 becomes the prem on 21:50 - Apr 19 with 1197 viewsGlasgowBlue

Warky

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Div 1 becomes the prem on 21:52 - Apr 19 with 1188 viewsvapour_trail

Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:38 - Apr 19 by Nthsuffolkblue

It was painted very similar to this as something where there would be guarantees for the top clubs, an uneven distribution of money and a much smaller top division. Some of that came about (the uneven distribution of money certainly), but the division only shrunk to 20 from 24 and I think overall it was far less damaging to football than was initially feared. We have still had little clubs make it into the Premier League. Newcastle and Manchester City were two of the big guns who were not immune to relegation and Leicester have achieved what we were led to believe would never be possible again.

I expect this will end up a much diluted version of what the clubs involved initially envisioned (if it happens at all) and will, similar to the Premier League have a less damaging effect than potentially feared. However, this will only be thanks to the vehement opposition that it faces.

I disagree with this.

In the decade or so prior to the formation on the EPL, clubs such as Ipswich, Swansea, Southampton, villa, Leeds, Everton, Wednesday, palace, qpr, forest, Wimbledon and even Norwich, could have a tilt at the top of the table.

That completely disappeared with the introduction of a competition that sacrificed a relatively equitable financial playing field.

Leicester and their title is called a miracle because it is so rare to see someone else that close to the top now. Anyone else who has challenged during the EPL era - Newcastle, Leeds, Blackburn, have all been breaking transfer records in the process.

Oh, and I think we went from 22 to 20 but might be wrong there. I remember 16 and 18 team
Leagues being discussed.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Div 1 becomes the prem on 21:54 - Apr 19 with 1176 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Div 1 becomes the prem on 20:50 - Apr 19 by patrickswell

It was a mixed bag as I remember it...

One of the reasons being given behind its formation was that it would supposedly make England a stronger side by concentrating money at the top level, which was after all, where all the internationals would come from.

Cosmetically, little appeared to change. 22 clubs broke away to form it, but 3 of those clubs were relegated at the end of the season and 3 replaced them (one of which was us, of course).
Sky bagging live TV coverage was the big point of contention as it was seen as forcing football fans to shovel money into Murdoch's pocket, though I remember this was slightly offset by Match of the Day returning as a regular Saturday evening show.

Fear of a Super League had been prevalent for years, but as I remember the worry was that the big clubs would break away with Rangers and Celtic and play in a mini-league. TV coverage in the late 80s encouraged this thinking because so much live football revolved around the same half-dozen clubs though Norwich got some live games during some of their late-80s good seasons. People may scoff at SKY showing Lincoln vs Peterborough live to a minisucle audience, but it should be remembered that around 80 clubs would only likely ever get a live game on terrestrial TV if they had a Cup run.

It did promise to bring the top players to England (which has happened). The fear was that too many talented foreign players would stifle the development of English players and the promise was that playing with and against the best would benefit them.

Not sure these arguments are relevant to the current situation, though and difficult to say which prediction was more accurate.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Div 1 becomes the prem on 22:38 - Apr 19 with 1086 viewsstonojnr

I remember Saint & Greavsie debating it alot on their show & I dont think either were great fans of it but were prepared to see how it would work out because I dont recall it being as big a change as this Super league stuff is, it was the FA who were running it, so it felt like it was still linked to English league football, it was designed to help grow the England team, and to spread the money & coverage to smaller teams, because I think league wise by the 90s, either Liverpool won it or came 2nd, it was really only the FA cup that was still the anytime could win it competition, and so stuff like the Big Match was some team from the North West play a team in London all the time, so the idea your team might get live tv coverage regularly and not have to play a "big club" was appealing.

plus they promised there would still be promotion and relegation, though I remember thinking if there was any year Town needed to get promoted, that was the year just in case the ladder did get pulled up behind us.

and it was marketed effectively by Sky, and they changed the way football was shown on tv from then on
Div 1 becomes the prem on 23:40 - Apr 19 with 969 viewsTrequartista

When relegation and promotion was guaranteed, people were pretty much okay with it. I think the biggest talking point was the Sky Strikers cheerleaders. Of course the Premier League in 1992 is unrecognisable from the monster that it has become today.

Heard the words "absolute disgrace" being bandied about a lot today. Well your feelings towards the Super League are exactly how older fans feel about modern football already every single day, so welcome to our world. It will probably collapse this time, and but it will all happen in the end. Money will destroy it all.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Div 1 becomes the prem on 10:05 - Apr 20 with 749 viewsOldsmoker

The Wikipedia page suggests the initial contract with BSkyB was £304million over 5 years. It doesn't say what each club got from the pool of money as live TV matches got paid seperately. If you only had a few matches per season then you missed out compared to those frequently selected for live games. There were no parachute payments in the first contract.
The boggling amount of money, parachute payments etc have allowed the EPL to morph into a diffferent beast from when it was first started.
It allowed Man U to dominate English football which is what p*ssed off most people.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Div 1 becomes the prem on 10:20 - Apr 20 with 717 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Div 1 becomes the prem on 23:40 - Apr 19 by Trequartista

When relegation and promotion was guaranteed, people were pretty much okay with it. I think the biggest talking point was the Sky Strikers cheerleaders. Of course the Premier League in 1992 is unrecognisable from the monster that it has become today.

Heard the words "absolute disgrace" being bandied about a lot today. Well your feelings towards the Super League are exactly how older fans feel about modern football already every single day, so welcome to our world. It will probably collapse this time, and but it will all happen in the end. Money will destroy it all.

I really hope so. I hope it all implodes and it goes back to the 'good old days'
Div 1 becomes the prem on 10:24 - Apr 20 with 710 viewsbluelagos

If you want a more detailed analysis have a read of Ade Tempany's "And the sun shines now".

He details how the Premier league started in considerable detail and how football changed from that point.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Div 1 becomes the prem on 10:33 - Apr 20 with 685 viewsBluefish

I don't think anyone understood. It just seemed a bit pointless and irrelevant at the time

I was only 12 though

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024