Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morsy the answer? 15:06 - Sep 13 with 2641 viewsbluelady

Was anyone else just a little concerned that Cook said after the game Saturday the Morsy would help with the current issues we are having. Now i don't disagree I think he is exactly what we need BUT...

1. We came very close to not signing him - what would Cook have been saying was the answer then?

2. Is he going to stay fit/not get red carded for the rest of the season and if not what happens then? We don't have another player to replace him.

thoughts?
Morsy the answer? on 15:08 - Sep 13 with 2146 viewsBlueBadger

I'm more concerned that he doesn't seem to be able to coach a competent defensive set up that he's apparently more intent on chucking players at rather than coaching, to be honest.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Morsy the answer? on 15:13 - Sep 13 with 2126 viewsjayessess

tbf, nothing a manager says after 6 without a win and a 5-2 defeat is going to be terribly comforting.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Morsy the answer? on 15:14 - Sep 13 with 2119 viewsBlueBadger

Morsy the answer? on 15:13 - Sep 13 by jayessess

tbf, nothing a manager says after 6 without a win and a 5-2 defeat is going to be terribly comforting.

He's probably about 2 weeks away from buying some beer and 3 from blaming all the players.

Assuming he gets that long.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Morsy the answer? on 15:18 - Sep 13 with 2090 viewsJ2BLUE

I thought it was pretty stupid. Nothing like sending a message to your team that superman is coming soon so until then we have an excuse. Not to mention the two midfielders must be wondering which of them will be dropped. As one has the captain's armband, at least for now, if I was Harper i'd be thinking it's going to be me.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Morsy the answer? on 15:20 - Sep 13 with 2060 viewsbluelady

Morsy the answer? on 15:18 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

I thought it was pretty stupid. Nothing like sending a message to your team that superman is coming soon so until then we have an excuse. Not to mention the two midfielders must be wondering which of them will be dropped. As one has the captain's armband, at least for now, if I was Harper i'd be thinking it's going to be me.

And Evans who started the season really well has got progressively worse, so this is surely going to help his mental wellbeing!!!
Morsy the answer? on 15:21 - Sep 13 with 2056 viewsHerbivore

It reminds me a bit of when Lambert arrived and spent 6 weeks telling the fans (and players) that we needed a bit of help in January. The effect was to suggest that until that time we really had no hope of achieving anything, and we didn't. I don't think it's a healthy mindset to set an expectation that we won't succeed until a future point where a not yet available player becomes available. Feels almost like we're writing off the next two games.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Morsy the answer? on 15:21 - Sep 13 with 2045 viewsjayessess

Morsy the answer? on 15:18 - Sep 13 by J2BLUE

otoh, if you're under the cosh, low on confidence and going into your shell probably a good feeling to hear that the cavalry is coming and he's superman.

Morsy the answer? on 15:22 - Sep 13 with 2047 viewsitfcjoe

If that is the case, then after 18 previous signings, including 3 central midfielders, it does make you worry.

Why haven't we got a similar type of player to Morsy as an option in there - as it is we now have 1 ball winner and 3 ball players to cover 2 positions.......

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Morsy the answer? on 15:24 - Sep 13 with 2004 viewsbluelady

Morsy the answer? on 15:08 - Sep 13 by BlueBadger

I'm more concerned that he doesn't seem to be able to coach a competent defensive set up that he's apparently more intent on chucking players at rather than coaching, to be honest.

and 2 decent keepers that have been made to look like they never played a professional game in their life, whilst poor Holy sits on the bench thinking am i really worse than that!
Morsy the answer? on 15:28 - Sep 13 with 1961 viewsbluelady

Morsy the answer? on 15:22 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

If that is the case, then after 18 previous signings, including 3 central midfielders, it does make you worry.

Why haven't we got a similar type of player to Morsy as an option in there - as it is we now have 1 ball winner and 3 ball players to cover 2 positions.......

The issue was so glaring on Saturday.... we have some great attacking players and good options off the bench. I dont doubt we can score lots of goals. But we are not bossing the midfield in any way which is then leaving the defence to work overtime.... so you are right no idea why we have 1 (and could easily have been 0) ball winning/break up players. Whereas ironically in the past our issue was playing two at the same time!
Morsy the answer? on 15:28 - Sep 13 with 1951 viewsHerbivore

The Carroll signing felt like a luxury, already had two good ball players signed up and did we need a third? Would have preferred a spoiler who can win the ball back and give it to one of the ball players. I do think, however, it won't be long before Carroll and Morsy are our first choice pairing, but perhaps if we'd started the season with someone a bit more defensively minded in there we'd have seen more of Harper and/or Evans and what they're capable of.

Morsy the answer? on 15:30 - Sep 13 with 1930 viewsHerbivore

Morsy the answer? on 15:28 - Sep 13 by bluelady

The issue was so glaring on Saturday.... we have some great attacking players and good options off the bench. I dont doubt we can score lots of goals. But we are not bossing the midfield in any way which is then leaving the defence to work overtime.... so you are right no idea why we have 1 (and could easily have been 0) ball winning/break up players. Whereas ironically in the past our issue was playing two at the same time!

The number of times on Saturday that Bolton won a tackle or second ball and were instantly 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 against us at the back was ridiculous. I don't think that's just about the individual players though, we just don't look like we've been set up with any thought to how to counter the opposition when we don't have the ball.

Morsy the answer? on 15:33 - Sep 13 with 1881 viewsMetal_Hacker

Morsy the answer? on 15:30 - Sep 13 by Herbivore

The number of times on Saturday that Bolton won a tackle or second ball and were instantly 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 against us at the back was ridiculous. I don't think that's just about the individual players though, we just don't look like we've been set up with any thought to how to counter the opposition when we don't have the ball.

It's no more complicated than this Herbs - Spot On !

There's nothing wrong with either Evans or Harper - they are both quality players in this league but if the system is wrong no-one is going to be good enough

Poll: If it were one or the other

Morsy the answer? on 15:34 - Sep 13 with 1868 viewsBLUEBEAT

Did he have a specific defensive coach at his previous clubs?

Poll: W or W

Morsy the answer? on 15:35 - Sep 13 with 1858 viewsVaughan8

Morsy the answer? on 15:24 - Sep 13 by bluelady

and 2 decent keepers that have been made to look like they never played a professional game in their life, whilst poor Holy sits on the bench thinking am i really worse than that!

haha this made me laugh.

Walton looked like someone who had never played in goal but was put in there because he was big!

Clearly he must be decent if he was at Brighton, but he didn't look great on Saturday, though with that wide open defence, I don't think any goalie would be confident.

I'm surprised we haven't sorted out the defence yet and at least kept it a bit tight. Everytime Bolton attacked they looked like scoring.
Morsy the answer? on 15:39 - Sep 13 with 1817 viewsFtnfwest

1. He clearly wanted him all summer but because boro had to find a replacement it became last minute and also became very risky.
2. Loan Skuse.
Morsy the answer? on 15:41 - Sep 13 with 1809 viewsitfcjoe

By half time we had conceded 3 and both Janoi Donacien and George Edmundson had made last ditch goal scoring tackles - had they not just slowed down at 5-2 yesterday the scoreling could have been even more embarrassing.

We haven't conceded 5 at home since the Southampton game under Jewell - it's an absolute nadir for the football club

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Morsy the answer? on 15:43 - Sep 13 with 1769 viewsFixed_It

I believe that is why were in for, and nearly got, Joe Morrell.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Morsy the answer? on 15:45 - Sep 13 with 1752 viewsHerbivore

Morsy the answer? on 15:41 - Sep 13 by itfcjoe

By half time we had conceded 3 and both Janoi Donacien and George Edmundson had made last ditch goal scoring tackles - had they not just slowed down at 5-2 yesterday the scoreling could have been even more embarrassing.

We haven't conceded 5 at home since the Southampton game under Jewell - it's an absolute nadir for the football club

Yep. And even though they stepped off the gas after their 5th I felt they still looked the more likely to get the next goal in the game. It was completely shambolic. I'm half expecting Paul Cook to rip off his Paul Cook mask and reveal he's been Bryan Gunn all along and the real Paul Cook is tied up in a basement at Carrow Road.

Morsy the answer? on 15:50 - Sep 13 with 1712 viewsSwansea_Blue

Which ironically was one of our few (relative) strengths under Lambert. We did set up pretty well defensively and kept a decent shape off the ball imo. Which is easier to do of course when you play deep and are very tentative going forward. But still, it was a solid(ish) base to build on.

Ha, listen to me pining after Lambert's set up. There really are the days aren't they. All aboard the Banter Era Express!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Morsy the answer? on 15:57 - Sep 13 with 1668 viewsLankHenners

The players didn't look like they knew what to do. Bolton had their wide men so wide that our full backs didn't know whether to go out to them or stay narrow, and on several occasions ended up mis-timing their decision to do either, which put the CB in a tough spot as they then didn't know which way to go. This was all exacerbated by there being little or no cover from the midfield.

I said after the game it was genuinely like they've just been told to attack and are relying on the defenders winning individual battles to keep the other team out - madness.

It's all well and good Cook having this gung-ho attitude where we have players flying forwards (and it can work when the likes of Edwards, Bonne, Burns can show their quality) but we do it so recklessly that it leaves us very exposed and so easy to counter against.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Morsy the answer? on 15:59 - Sep 13 with 1648 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s been like that in most games this season. We are vulnerable and naive.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Morsy the answer? on 16:05 - Sep 13 with 1590 viewsHerbivore

Morsy the answer? on 15:57 - Sep 13 by LankHenners

The players didn't look like they knew what to do. Bolton had their wide men so wide that our full backs didn't know whether to go out to them or stay narrow, and on several occasions ended up mis-timing their decision to do either, which put the CB in a tough spot as they then didn't know which way to go. This was all exacerbated by there being little or no cover from the midfield.

I said after the game it was genuinely like they've just been told to attack and are relying on the defenders winning individual battles to keep the other team out - madness.

It's all well and good Cook having this gung-ho attitude where we have players flying forwards (and it can work when the likes of Edwards, Bonne, Burns can show their quality) but we do it so recklessly that it leaves us very exposed and so easy to counter against.

The equaliser was the epitome of it really. Big crossfield ball, KVY in no man's land so the winger has a free header across into the area, Edmundson doesn't react and they score the simplest of goals. You just don't usually see goals like that where the scorer and the player assisting have so much time and space given to them. A couple more of the goals weren't dissimilar in that regard. It was genuinely baffling to watch, like they had never had to defend before.

Morsy the answer? on 16:08 - Sep 13 with 1577 views44_not_out

Morsy the answer? on 15:35 - Sep 13 by Vaughan8

haha this made me laugh.

Walton looked like someone who had never played in goal but was put in there because he was big!

Clearly he must be decent if he was at Brighton, but he didn't look great on Saturday, though with that wide open defence, I don't think any goalie would be confident.

I'm surprised we haven't sorted out the defence yet and at least kept it a bit tight. Everytime Bolton attacked they looked like scoring.

I think it should be noted that Walton was one of five senior keepers at Brighton and thus why Potter was happy to let him go out on loan. Being 5th choice at Brighton doesn’t necessarily suggest he was as good as people where making out??
[Post edited 13 Sep 2021 16:40]
Morsy the answer? on 16:13 - Sep 13 with 1556 viewsjayessess

Morsy the answer? on 15:50 - Sep 13 by Swansea_Blue

Which ironically was one of our few (relative) strengths under Lambert. We did set up pretty well defensively and kept a decent shape off the ball imo. Which is easier to do of course when you play deep and are very tentative going forward. But still, it was a solid(ish) base to build on.

Ha, listen to me pining after Lambert's set up. There really are the days aren't they. All aboard the Banter Era Express!

Ironically, now that we can put out a front 3/4 who are actually really good, we could probably live with being defensively rigid, keeping our shape, avoiding risk and just trusting that at some point one of our attackers will win the game for us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024