Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then 09:59 - Oct 8 with 3081 viewsLord_Lucan

Decide they need a load of materials and then drive the other side of town to Screwfix? Why don’t the useless bastards get what they need on their way in?

I do know the answer by the way.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:03 - Oct 8 with 2740 viewsEdwardStone

I guess they need to assess the job and work out exactly what they need to do the task

A bit unrealistic to ask them to carry everything they might need "just in case"

Screwfix is can be cheaper than other suppliers

Chance to grab a bacon sandwich while they are out
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:06 - Oct 8 with 2716 viewsFtnfwest

probably found a petrol station with fuel
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:07 - Oct 8 with 2715 viewsElephantintheRoom

Unexpected problem? Trusty old drill packs up? Come on even hanging up a picutre can be a bit more complicated than first thought

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:08 - Oct 8 with 2701 viewsLord_Lucan

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:03 - Oct 8 by EdwardStone

I guess they need to assess the job and work out exactly what they need to do the task

A bit unrealistic to ask them to carry everything they might need "just in case"

They know what they need when they look at the job.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:17 - Oct 8 with 2653 viewsLord_Lucan

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:03 - Oct 8 by EdwardStone

It’s a sparky second fixing.

10 double sockets 2 led strips, 2 light switches and some bloody trunking.

WTF!

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:28 - Oct 8 with 2597 viewsBlueBadger

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:08 - Oct 8 by Lord_Lucan

I can't speak for any tradesmen, but quite often if I've been referred a punter, the impression I get from bloods, numbers and notes can be quite different to the impression I get from actually placing a stethoscope to chest.

Case in point: asthma and cardiac failure - can sound very similar when presenting and on referral- acute breathlessness, wheeze, sudden onset - but the 'fix' is very, very different and an in-person examination will tell you that VERY quickly.

Likewise cars - my mate Slippery Jim(who has a special calculator offering different sums when cash comes into play) says a similar thing about the cars he fixes - what sounds like one thing can often turn not something else when he gets under the hoods.

Perhaps it's something like that?
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 10:46]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:32 - Oct 8 with 2590 viewsTractorWood

Guy came round mine the other day to fit something. He had to go home twice for tools he'd forgotten (he'd already come round 3 times to measure up and advise). Can't moan too much though, was on time and did a good job.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 10:33]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:45 - Oct 8 with 2536 viewsHARRY10

The problem there is that those who do not engage in such practices are usually very busy and when they say they cannot get to you for a few months, they are being honest.

Not referring to the above job, but if any tradesman is available at short notice (barring an emergency) there is a reason.

I also think the EU ending the crack measurement has not helped either. Previously, you could check the experience of a builder/tradesman by measuring the amount of ars crack showing when he was bent down at work.

Bloody foreigners expect their tradesmen to be qualified as well, rather than simply putting the word something solutions on the side of their van, which was good enough before
Login to get fewer ads

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:54 - Oct 8 with 2499 viewsfarkenhell

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:17 - Oct 8 by Lord_Lucan

WTF!

There's your problem. You can't expect an electrician to carry those sort of materials. Otherwise there'd be no room for the rest of the crap in the van.
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:57 - Oct 8 with 2482 viewsEdwardStone

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:45 - Oct 8 by HARRY10

The problem there is that those who do not engage in such practices are usually very busy and when they say they cannot get to you for a few months, they are being honest.

Not referring to the above job, but if any tradesman is available at short notice (barring an emergency) there is a reason.

I also think the EU ending the crack measurement has not helped either. Previously, you could check the experience of a builder/tradesman by measuring the amount of ars crack showing when he was bent down at work.

Bloody foreigners expect their tradesmen to be qualified as well, rather than simply putting the word something solutions on the side of their van, which was good enough before

I didn't realise the EU had standardised the Great British Builder's Cleavage

I did see one ingenious solution to ars* crack cleavage on site one day

One fella had managed to solve the 2 perennial problems of cleavage and stopping people nicking his copy of the Sun....by using his ars* crack as a a handy newspaper storage solution

Top improvisation
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:03 - Oct 8 with 2453 viewsEdwardStone

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:08 - Oct 8 by Lord_Lucan

That might depend on how thorough they were when they looked at the job

A cursory glance might them give a rough idea....£200 of materials, 1 days labour = whatever...enough for them to give a potential client a price without spending hours looking, measuring and making a note of everything they might need for a job that they might not get

Without them analysing every last bit that they need they could well have some or most of the stuff on the van, but still need to pop out for some extra bits

And a bacon sandwich
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:06 - Oct 8 with 2439 viewsHARRY10

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:57 - Oct 8 by EdwardStone

One fella had managed to solve the 2 perennial problems of cleavage and stopping people nicking his copy of the Sun....by using his ars* crack as a a handy newspaper storage solution

Top improvisation

Way back, I saw some chap had a face painted on his lower back, so when bent over it appeared he had a page 3 girl sticking out of his jeans

the more he bent over, the more she revealed

....................of hairy cleavage
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:12 - Oct 8 with 2413 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:17 - Oct 8 by Lord_Lucan

WTF!

And you didn't take the task on yourself? (Or perhaps you did and that's why you needed an electrician. )

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:20 - Oct 8 with 2375 viewschicoazul

Screwfix seem to employ hot women on the counter in my (very limited) experience which may not be unrelated
“Here I am again luv sixth time this week hahaha”

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:22 - Oct 8 with 2352 viewsgiant_stow

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:06 - Oct 8 by HARRY10

Way back, I saw some chap had a face painted on his lower back, so when bent over it appeared he had a page 3 girl sticking out of his jeans

the more he bent over, the more she revealed

....................of hairy cleavage

At least that's vaguely creative. I saw a fella on a boke the other day with not only his arse hanging out but also a nasty looking red rash right up his crack. yuk.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:41 - Oct 8 with 2274 viewsHARRY10

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:12 - Oct 8 by You_Bloo_Right

And you didn't take the task on yourself? (Or perhaps you did and that's why you needed an electrician. )

I expect his Lordship is busy this time of year, bonfires don't build themselves, you know
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:53 - Oct 8 with 2223 viewsLeaky

If they are on a day rate why should they pick up materials in their own time when they can be paid to pick them up. I must add its not how I try to work.
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:56 - Oct 8 with 2194 viewsLeaky

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 10:57 - Oct 8 by EdwardStone

Top improvisation

You used the word solution HARRY10 won't be happy
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:59 - Oct 8 with 2183 viewsleitrimblue

Isn't it just to justify charging for an extra day/full day? Chance to get a breakfast roll an a bottle of chocolate milk?
Sneaking off to price up another job?
Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 13:38 - Oct 12 with 1677 viewsDubtractor

Thought I'd add this to the thread as it is impressively accurate.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 13:41 - Oct 12 with 1648 viewsmonytowbray

Are you expecting them to go to Screwfix in their own time for free?

This from the bloke who once brought me a 4 page thread of abuse asking if someone with a van could do me a paid favour.

🤷‍♂️

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 22:30 - Oct 13 with 1221 viewsLord_Lucan

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 13:41 - Oct 12 by monytowbray

Are you expecting them to go to Screwfix in their own time for free?

This from the bloke who once brought me a 4 page thread of abuse asking if someone with a van could do me a paid favour.

🤷‍♂️

Whoa

1/ Why not? And at least, they could start at the job 30 mins later if it would save them 60 minutes of doubling back.

2/ What you did was ask for a cash in hand job while at the same time (along with hoards of other silly fannys) moan and harp on constantly about tax dodgers. You also openly admit to being a serial fare dodger yet excuse this because you don't like paying the price and everything is corrupt - or something like that.

You think I gave you abuse eh? Personally I hate hypocrites.

Apologies.

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 02:30 - Oct 14 with 1115 viewsmonytowbray

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 22:30 - Oct 13 by Lord_Lucan

Whoa

1/ Why not? And at least, they could start at the job 30 mins later if it would save them 60 minutes of doubling back.

2/ What you did was ask for a cash in hand job while at the same time (along with hoards of other silly fannys) moan and harp on constantly about tax dodgers. You also openly admit to being a serial fare dodger yet excuse this because you don't like paying the price and everything is corrupt - or something like that.

Apologies.

A cash in hand job it was not. Is my mate giving me a lift to football for petrol money Tuesday aiding my tax dodging too?

Most people (myself included) are just a bit fed up of living in a decaying infrastructure and paying to fund it through tax, whilst big corps extracting flowing cash from local eco-systems and paying low wages then take even more away through not paying their fair % share to fund said infrastructure to support their staff/customers. Didn’t realise that opinion (which seems perfectly factual and logical based on evidence) makes one a “fanny”.

Train fares are a rip off to line shareholder pockets. The mugs are the people who go along with it. The private rail companies (Ironically many EU based, but free pass from the Brexit elite as their mates profit there) get enough of a share in tax subsidies too but my stake to profit in the rail system (and yours) through that is non-existent. Almost as if it is “corrupt or something”.

Also, day rates have start and end times. Otherwise you could argue they work 12am-12pm.

The enemy is up there, laughing at society down here going along with their mass wealth grab.
[Post edited 14 Oct 2021 3:03]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 07:03 - Oct 14 with 1016 viewsGlasgowBlue

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 22:30 - Oct 13 by Lord_Lucan

Whoa

Apologies.

Hang on. Callis asked for cash in exchange for a hand job?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 11:03 - Oct 14 with 899 viewsfarkenhell

Why do tradesmen who are on day rate turn up for a job, and then on 07:03 - Oct 14 by GlasgowBlue

Hang on. Callis asked for cash in exchange for a hand job?

Was that the "paid favour" he mentioned initially?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024