Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? 23:27 - Nov 28 with 1297 viewsmattyhollandsirish

We look like a team of decent individuals on paper who rely on individual bits of quality, like today, to win games. It's horrible to compare to Lambert, but I can't help thinking we struggle through some of these games in spite of Cook as opposed to him influencing any wins, much like under Lambert. The lack of ability (or refusal) to change formations is difficult to understand.

The players looked almost embarassed when the final whistle went today, they know its not working.

Every fan desperately wants us to succeed, but there seems to be little evidence on the pitch that this season will amount to anything over than a dismal failure. (and yes, I watched us score 4 past Wycombe where they battered us for 20 mins and 4 past the worst Pompey side ive ever seen).

Roll on Charlton and Wigan!

Yes, we
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 00:11 - Nov 29 with 1233 viewsOwainG1992

I just did a tally of the points I see us being able to get between now and end of the season.

I got an extra 44 points from 26 matches.
I think that's a fair estimate which would take us to 71 points total.

Probably just outside the play offs.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 00:17 - Nov 29 with 1227 viewspointofblue

Bonne was devastated because he'd just missed the one-on-one. Score that and I highly doubt there would have been any boos at the final whistle. The rest of the players no doubt picked up on the response from the stands - they know there is no room to manouver now, rightly or wrongly.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 00:40 - Nov 29 with 1190 viewsParisBlue

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 00:11 - Nov 29 by OwainG1992

I just did a tally of the points I see us being able to get between now and end of the season.

Charlton and Oxford both finished with 74 points last year. Charlton missed out on goal difference.

To get that we'd need another 47 points from 26 games. That's 1.8 points a game.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 01:17 - Nov 29 with 1162 viewsGeomorph

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 00:40 - Nov 29 by ParisBlue

Charlton and Oxford both finished with 74 points last year. Charlton missed out on goal difference.

To get that we'd need another 47 points from 26 games. That's 1.8 points a game.

I recall herbivore telling us we couldn’t win scrappy. F&ck the sh!tty fan takes.. if our clubs timetable doesn’t match our personal ones then that is simply tough. Onwards.. whoever leads us there
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 01:52 - Nov 29 with 1142 viewsbraveblue

Nope. Don’t think so. 5th probably and we will have a great day at Wembley.
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 03:32 - Nov 29 with 1111 viewsbournemouthblue

Out of interest, where were Blackpool in the league at this point last season

I do slightly agree with the comparisons to us under Jewell where we could play some good stuff and pull off a result where you thought maybe we had something

But then we are really poor at the back and often wasteful upfront

I do think this a poor league though and you haven't got to be that good to get on a run

I guess even the best players at this level are going to be inconsistent, it's why they are in League One in the first place

We look pretty soft when teams counter against us, the defensive screens often leave too big a gap between us and our defence

When we have a team pinned back, particularly at home, we would be better served with Penny at left back, simply because he'd be useful on the overload, I'd also hazard a guess he's quicker than Bailey Clements for when teams counter attack?

I like a look of Bailey, he looks like one of those Ben Mee style left backs who is solid defensively but limited going forward, he'll get better at that by primarily he's a solid defender

Donacien looks a different player although I was always of the school of thought that he was never actually that bad, we just barely saw anything of him

Lambert clearly didn't like him but he has got us out of jail this season with KVY not quite looking the player he was

I half wonder if we would be better pushing KVY to the right wing and doubling up with Donacien when Alukonor Burns aren't available?
[Post edited 29 Nov 2021 3:35]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 06:31 - Nov 29 with 1029 viewsKeaneish

No, we’re going to finish 4th or 5th.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 06:44 - Nov 29 with 984 viewspennblue

Based on what we are currently seeing, I would agree, that looks the most likely outcome.

However, I don't think you have taken into consideration the January transfer window. I fully expect us to strengthen the side, with 3 players coming in. Ideally 2 new faces in defence, and another central midfielder.

Crewe's confidence rose yesterday when they started to realise they could actually score and were having far too much joy up front. That should never have happened, we should have brick walled the defence, and given them nothing, not a sniff. Then they would have petered out.

You also have to consider our current performances are with a mis-firing centre forward, and other attacking players not being as clinical as they are capable of being.

But the main thing for me, is defence. We need a rock solid defence, and we still don't have one.

Why Jeffers is defence coach is a mystery to me, we need a proper defensive coach in there.

Set pieces is also something we need to work on, we are not scoring from any corners right now. Set pieces should be bringing us 20 goals a season alone, but we just seem to lack any coaching in that area.

But we should improve these areas, that should happen right? Then you got, what you are currently seeing + new players + set pieces + more consistency = Top Six team.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Login to get fewer ads

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 07:01 - Nov 29 with 947 viewsChurchman

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 06:44 - Nov 29 by pennblue

Based on what we are currently seeing, I would agree, that looks the most likely outcome.

However, I don't think you have taken into consideration the January transfer window. I fully expect us to strengthen the side, with 3 players coming in. Ideally 2 new faces in defence, and another central midfielder.

Crewe's confidence rose yesterday when they started to realise they could actually score and were having far too much joy up front. That should never have happened, we should have brick walled the defence, and given them nothing, not a sniff. Then they would have petered out.

You also have to consider our current performances are with a mis-firing centre forward, and other attacking players not being as clinical as they are capable of being.

But the main thing for me, is defence. We need a rock solid defence, and we still don't have one.

Why Jeffers is defence coach is a mystery to me, we need a proper defensive coach in there.

Set pieces is also something we need to work on, we are not scoring from any corners right now. Set pieces should be bringing us 20 goals a season alone, but we just seem to lack any coaching in that area.

But we should improve these areas, that should happen right? Then you got, what you are currently seeing + new players + set pieces + more consistency = Top Six team.

I agree with what you say about the defence. Spot on. Every good team is first and foremost rock solid at the back. We are not. I hope that area is strengthened in January.

I don’t necessarily agree regarding a defensive coach. I don’t think you necessarily have to have played in a particular position to coach it. For example, Burley and Roberts were both defenders yet we weren’t exactly short of ideas going forward. From another thread, Clough was a forward and Taylor a very second rate goalie, yet Forest’s defence was as tight as a gnat’s chuff.

I think it’s more about knowing the game than anything else and surely there are enough years of experience amongst our staff to know what’s what. For me, a player or two at the back might make all the difference. That and, to use the old Bobby Robson term, time on the grass.
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 07:10 - Nov 29 with 909 viewsHARRY10

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 00:40 - Nov 29 by ParisBlue

Which had we achieved that so far we would now be on 36 points.

Out of our next three games Charlton, Wigan and Sunderland - we need to take 5.4 points. Which takes us to the halfway stage.

Odd thing about the playoffs though. We can scrape in with 74 or so points and be in the same position as third with 84 points.
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 07:15 - Nov 29 with 880 viewsHerbivore

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 01:17 - Nov 29 by Geomorph

I recall herbivore telling us we couldn’t win scrappy. F&ck the sh!tty fan takes.. if our clubs timetable doesn’t match our personal ones then that is simply tough. Onwards.. whoever leads us there

Interesting that you can recall me saying something I didn't say. And yesterday wasn't scrappy in any case, it was just sh!te.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 08:28 - Nov 29 with 776 viewsitfcjoe

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 07:01 - Nov 29 by Churchman

I agree with what you say about the defence. Spot on. Every good team is first and foremost rock solid at the back. We are not. I hope that area is strengthened in January.

I don’t necessarily agree regarding a defensive coach. I don’t think you necessarily have to have played in a particular position to coach it. For example, Burley and Roberts were both defenders yet we weren’t exactly short of ideas going forward. From another thread, Clough was a forward and Taylor a very second rate goalie, yet Forest’s defence was as tight as a gnat’s chuff.

I think it’s more about knowing the game than anything else and surely there are enough years of experience amongst our staff to know what’s what. For me, a player or two at the back might make all the difference. That and, to use the old Bobby Robson term, time on the grass.

I think it's harsh to just balme the defence, too often they are totally exposed - we end up with 5v 4 and 4 v3 as our midfield is passed around so easily they break with the ball and get men up.

It happened for the first goal of the season we conceded against Morecambe, and it happens frequently since.

We are just fortunate that at this level when sides get into these good positions, more often than not they don't have the quality to punish us.

As a team, off the ball we are a mess. Our pressing is messy and often non existent - our shape is all over the place and we are just languid and don't seem to work hard enough on the ball.

When we get the ball we come alive somewhat, but could really do with some better quality when not in possession

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 08:52 - Nov 29 with 739 viewsSwansea_Blue

That would be quite an improvement on the season so far.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 09:40 - Nov 29 with 660 viewstimothyeo

We played bottom of the table Crewe, at home, and our expected goals was 0.1 better than theirs.

We will do well to finish top 8 with Cook in charge.
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 09:55 - Nov 29 with 627 viewsDMDC

10th or lower. Plan A needs changing, but l dont think the management are up to it.
We're going to finish about 10th aren''t we? on 10:01 - Nov 29 with 601 viewsSomethingBlue

71 points is, in fact, exactly what we end up with if we continue our form of the last 14 games. Basically two wins, or a win and a draw if we are lucky, short of the play-offs. Means we're not a million miles off when you look at it that way, but we can't afford to fall further away at this point so the coming games are crucial.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024