Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government 23:04 - Apr 5 with 5178 viewsunstableblue

This is a political move and not in the public good. This is an erosion of the quality of our media and ability to truly critique and question those in power.

Just can’t believe it.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 23:05]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 23:30 - Apr 5 with 2406 viewspointofblue

Though, as Krishnan Guru-Murthy pointed out, the news could be ring-fenced as on ITV, to be independent. Not quite to the level of scrutiny as the BBC but Channel 4 News at the moment isn't as neutral anyway.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 00:13 - Apr 6 with 2352 viewsRyorry

It’s been trending on Twitter for about 48 hours, tens of thousands of outraged people venting their spleen about it there.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2022 0:16]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 00:19 - Apr 6 with 2343 viewsDarth_Koont

I get your point – and it’s not wrong.

But no-one cares about millions of poor children in the UK. Amongst many other injustices and inequalities.

Our apathy is pretty endemic.

Pronouns: He/Him

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 01:26 - Apr 6 with 2309 viewsXYZ

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 23:30 - Apr 5 by pointofblue

Though, as Krishnan Guru-Murthy pointed out, the news could be ring-fenced as on ITV, to be independent. Not quite to the level of scrutiny as the BBC but Channel 4 News at the moment isn't as neutral anyway.

What do you mean by "neutral"?

Any examples of them not being "neutral"?

Good journalism is reporting facts, which is what they do.
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 01:53 - Apr 6 with 2285 viewspointofblue

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 01:26 - Apr 6 by XYZ

What do you mean by "neutral"?

Any examples of them not being "neutral"?

Good journalism is reporting facts, which is what they do.

I’d argue Channel 4 News is far more hard hitting and opinionated. BBC News is more “this happened, then this happened”. There was an interview with the Iceland exec on Tuesday evening which asked questions of staff taking pay cuts and people shop lifting which I can’t see being asked on the BBC.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 02:02 - Apr 6 with 2257 viewsjeera

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 01:53 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

I’d argue Channel 4 News is far more hard hitting and opinionated. BBC News is more “this happened, then this happened”. There was an interview with the Iceland exec on Tuesday evening which asked questions of staff taking pay cuts and people shop lifting which I can’t see being asked on the BBC.

But that's good isn't it, pushing for answers?

I'm not sure that makes it biased.

It certainly brings out some reaction from the interviewee.

Look at the senators being quizzed on Monday's broadcast. None were under pressure to reply but were happy to.

I like the direct approach sometimes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 07:30 - Apr 6 with 2105 viewsGlasgowBlue

Are they trying to get in Johnson’s good books now in the hope he’ll change his mind?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:25 - Apr 6 with 2074 viewsDanTheMan

The issue is, what can we physically do?

Sure you can write a petition, you could maybe get a protest going but realistically the only people who have any sort of power in the country are MPs. I guess I could also write to my MP but the likelihood is you'll just get an answer along party lines.

The only thing we can do is vote.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:39 - Apr 6 with 2014 viewsElephantintheRoom

I doubt 1 in 10 of the population knew channel 4 wasn’t a commercial channel and even fewer care if it was or wasn’t.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:53 - Apr 6 with 1989 viewsNthQldITFC

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 01:53 - Apr 6 by pointofblue

“this happened, then this happened” and "let's do a load of emotional interviews to appeal to people who enjoy a bit of recreational grieving."

Channel 4 News is a much more informative package than BBC News.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:58 - Apr 6 with 1983 viewschicoazul

Have no idea why TWTD always gets so animated about telly. It’s just telly.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:01 - Apr 6 with 1971 viewsBent_double

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:25 - Apr 6 by DanTheMan

Sure you can write a petition, you could maybe get a protest going but realistically the only people who have any sort of power in the country are MPs. I guess I could also write to my MP but the likelihood is you'll just get an answer along party lines.

This subject was brought up a few weeks or months ago on here, and someone posted a link to a petition website where they urged people to write/email their MPs and provided a standard text to do so.

I did mine to Brandon Lewis, but just got the standard reply back that it will secure the channels future, blah, blah blah.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:03 - Apr 6 with 1961 viewsBlueNomad

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:58 - Apr 6 by chicoazul

I hope you are trolling. Otherwise you are equating the most serious issues with watching fluff.
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:18 - Apr 6 with 1921 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:25 - Apr 6 by DanTheMan

Nothing.
Good innit....

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:33 - Apr 6 with 1890 viewslowhouseblue

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:53 - Apr 6 by NthQldITFC

“this happened, then this happened” and "let's do a load of emotional interviews to appeal to people who enjoy a bit of recreational grieving."

Channel 4 News is a much more informative package than BBC News.

channel 4 news is produced by ITN. that needs to be protected and ring fenced, but it is already independent of channel 4. channel 4 needs to be compelled keep a high proportion of uk based indpendent production. but beyond those 2 things i'm not sure what is really distinctive about it. it has a lot of overtly commercial pulp and a bit that would fit with sky arts. in truth the news is the only bit people feel much attachment to.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:46 - Apr 6 with 1848 viewsusm

Its all Maggies fault

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:52 - Apr 6 with 1813 viewsBlueBadger

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:46 - Apr 6 by usm

Its all Maggies fault

What is it about the openly corrupt, bigoted and corrupt Conservative government that appeals to you?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:14 - Apr 6 with 1755 viewsParsley

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:33 - Apr 6 by lowhouseblue

channel 4 news is produced by ITN. that needs to be protected and ring fenced, but it is already independent of channel 4. channel 4 needs to be compelled keep a high proportion of uk based indpendent production. but beyond those 2 things i'm not sure what is really distinctive about it. it has a lot of overtly commercial pulp and a bit that would fit with sky arts. in truth the news is the only bit people feel much attachment to.

Channel 4 is much more than just the news. As you say it supports a lot of UK based TV and film production, but also I think it does a really good job of representation for different communities e.g. LGBT, disabilities, ethnic minorities. This might not be for everyone but I think that's kind of the point. Also I think they have a good record for comedy series.

The main issue I think though is there's no justified reason for selling it off. It doesn't cost the taxpayer anything. It's not going to suddenly compete with Netflix or Amazon (which are paid subscription services anyway) and perhaps being cynical but it does feel like the main beneficiary will be whichever tory donor buys it at a knock-down price.
Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:17 - Apr 6 with 1723 viewsBlueBadger

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:03 - Apr 6 by BlueNomad

I hope you are trolling. Otherwise you are equating the most serious issues with watching fluff.

It is very weird that self-proclaimed anti-authoritarian Chico is always keen to take the side of a law-breaking government that is desperate to avoid scrutiny of any kind.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:23 - Apr 6 with 1691 viewsusm

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:52 - Apr 6 by BlueBadger

What is it about the openly corrupt, bigoted and corrupt Conservative government that appeals to you?

Maggie

FOYSC

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:26 - Apr 6 with 1681 viewsGuthrum

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 08:58 - Apr 6 by chicoazul

One of the big issues in Russia at the moment is that TV over there is presenting a twisted viewpoint and just one narrative.

In Channel 4's case it's not about state directon, so much as falling under the control of media moguls with political agendas.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:36 - Apr 6 with 1646 viewsBlueBadger

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:23 - Apr 6 by usm

Maggie

What is it about a Prime Minsister who inspired a generation of openly corrupt, bigoted incompetents that appeals?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:16 - Apr 6 with 1577 viewsusm

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 10:36 - Apr 6 by BlueBadger

What is it about a Prime Minsister who inspired a generation of openly corrupt, bigoted incompetents that appeals?

I am sure you know the answer to that question, you are so incisive.

FOYSC

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:26 - Apr 6 with 1553 viewsStrimmer

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 09:33 - Apr 6 by lowhouseblue

ITN are the production company same as any programme comissioned by channel 4, but in all cases executive editorial decisions rest with the broadcaster. Head of news and current affairs is a channel 4 appointment, not ITN, so the news is not independent of channel 4. And fortunately so, as Channel 4 news is the best! (does put them at risk in a privatisation situation though)

Poll: Was it a punch?

Too much apathy over the Channel 4 sale! We are being misled by this government on 11:32 - Apr 6 with 1540 viewsRyorry

" .. realistically the only people who have any sort of power in the country are MPs."

And Marcus Rashford + a few other high-profile people (also addressing DK's spectacularly sweeping but erroneous generalisation here).

Basically agree with you though.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024