Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... 20:09 - Jun 26 with 3962 viewsbluestandard

Just looking at the top 11 last season (substituting promoted teams with relegated teams) and with transfer activity starting to take shape:-

[Peterborough] - IMHO should be one of the favourites for automatic promotion. Like Rotherham.
[Derby] - In a real mess. Not better than Wigan.
Milton Keynes - Will be strong but have lost their best player. Will surely be worse off than last year?
Wednesday - Upgraded in the transfer window.
[Barnsley] - Losing best players, not replacing with proven quality. Definitely a downgrade on Sunderland last year.
Wycombe - Probably about the same. But I think they were lucky to scrape the playoffs and imho they overachieved.
Plymouth - Lost a bunch of loanees and Camara possibly about to exit. Might end up similar but not better.
Oxford United - Selling players, probably worse off than last year.
Bolton - Made some good signings. Bad start last year means they will be higher this time?
Portsmouth - Bazunu, Jacobs gone. Curtis/Harness to follow. Surely weaker?
Ipswich Town - Big Upgrade (hopefully!) with more to follow. No significant outgoings.

Its early days, but I like how its shaping up for us!
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 20:52 - Jun 26 with 2995 viewsFrimleyBlue

If we manage to beat those sides who sit deep and play for draws then we will get promoted.

If we don't. Well another season in l1 the following year and another manager.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 23:21 - Jun 26 with 2665 viewsParisBlue

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 20:52 - Jun 26 by FrimleyBlue

If we manage to beat those sides who sit deep and play for draws then we will get promoted.

Indeed. More than anything we need to create more chances. Do that, and we become flat-track bullies to half the division.

There can be absolutely no excuses this year.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 23:23 - Jun 26 with 2664 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 20:52 - Jun 26 by FrimleyBlue

We need to stop moaning about that kind of play, it's not as if the likes of Sunderland, Shef Wed, Portsmouth etc don't come up against similar issues.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 23:27 - Jun 26 with 2648 viewsBigCommon

Don't think there's anyone to fear.. But it will be a tough slog, nonetheless... I think one of our strengths will be having a fairly settled squad from the off.. Hopefully we can take advantage of that , whilst others are sorting themselves out a bit... I think the league has more depth this season.. Looking down our fixtures, there doesn't seem to be an easy month.. Every 2 or 3 games at most, throughout the season, there's a tricky fixture, imo..
Sheff W, signings look strong. But they've lost a few influential players, too. I expect them to be there or there abouts. But like I say, mothing to fear for me. As long as we are on our game..
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 00:19 - Jun 27 with 2591 viewsIllinoisblue

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 23:23 - Jun 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

We need to stop moaning about that kind of play, it's not as if the likes of Sunderland, Shef Wed, Portsmouth etc don't come up against similar issues.

Indeed. If with our budget, literally 10x the size of some of our rivals in this league, can’t figure out how to beat teams that park the bus then shame on us. The bleating has to stop. And I say that as someone who has bleated in just that manner. After we lost at Cheltenham I recall banging out an angry tweet saying teams shouldn’t be allowed towels with which to dry the ball before launching long throws. Enough. Get into them and fk them up, one way or another. (Forget running into adversity, print that in the collar of the new shirts.)

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 06:49 - Jun 27 with 2326 viewsHipsterectomy

Pompey kept Jacobs. They’re owned by a billionaire who had something to do with Disney, but haven’t made a signing yet and their fans are a bit restless.

Charlton are recruiting well and have a new manager so may be up there

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:29 - Jun 27 with 2208 viewsGuthrum

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 23:23 - Jun 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

But Frimmers is correct, we do need to find ways of breaking such teams down - especially those at the lower end of the table - and taking what chances we can create. It's not a whinge, rather a basic but vital skill Town need to learn over last season.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:33 - Jun 27 with 2190 viewsOwainG1992

I think we'll find it easier against that type of team as simply we are bringing more size and strength in.
Tippy tappy football is pretty to watch but having some bulldozers is just what you need at times.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Login to get fewer ads

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:46 - Jun 27 with 2130 viewsChrisd

It’s utterly embarrassing and laughable reading the comments from some of our fans after a game when they are complaining about the tactics of opposition sides. Bottomline, we need to be better and far more clinical than we have been in the last 3 years.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:47 - Jun 27 with 2126 viewstractorboy1978

MK have lost 8 of the starting 11 from their play off second leg.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:48 - Jun 27 with 2125 viewsGuthrum

It's not just a matter of the top teams being weak, but also if the lower teams are stronger. The main reason some were accruing points at an eyewatering rate was the unusual weakness of Crewe, Doncaster and Wimbledon.

It's rare for more than one team to accrue fewer than 40 points from a completed season (about half the time, nobody does), certainly not all three relegated ones (hasn't happened at all in the last 20 years), plus the two above right on the brink. Crewe are the first to finish in the 20s since Stockport County in 2009-10.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:08 - Jun 27 with 2010 viewsFrimleyBlue

The moaning will stop when it's not something we struggle with. All well and good beating those that play openly but the draws against those who sat deep are what kills us

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:35 - Jun 27 with 1894 viewsSharkey

I wonder if there will be a surprise team, like Wycombe a few seasons ago. I’ll go for Fleetwood!
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:52 - Jun 27 with 1846 viewsbluestandard

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:48 - Jun 27 by Guthrum

It's not just a matter of the top teams being weak, but also if the lower teams are stronger. The main reason some were accruing points at an eyewatering rate was the unusual weakness of Crewe, Doncaster and Wimbledon.

It's rare for more than one team to accrue fewer than 40 points from a completed season (about half the time, nobody does), certainly not all three relegated ones (hasn't happened at all in the last 20 years), plus the two above right on the brink. Crewe are the first to finish in the 20s since Stockport County in 2009-10.

Yep this is a good point, which is kind of what started my thinking on the strength of the top half. I’m hoping that a weakened top half and a strengthened bottom half will catch up with teams like Plymouth, Wycombe, Oxford etc who were ruthlessly efficient at beating the bottom half teams last season. Time will tell……
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:56 - Jun 27 with 1835 viewsBiGDonnie

We've got a settled squad with some very solid additions. Once we've got Celina done and dusted it's full steam ahead.

What are people going to moan about when we're sitting pretty at the top?

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:57 - Jun 27 with 1837 viewsBlueBadger

We really shouldn't be afraid of anyone in this division, this or in previous seasons. The fact that we have been tells you all you need to know how badly managed and run we were prior to takeover/Mckenna.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:32 - Jun 27 with 1756 viewsSamWhiteUK

Sunderland bloody well took part in it!
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:49 - Jun 27 with 1710 viewsunstableblue

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:57 - Jun 27 by BlueBadger

We really shouldn't be afraid of anyone in this division, this or in previous seasons. The fact that we have been tells you all you need to know how badly managed and run we were prior to takeover/Mckenna.

BB I do think we need to be careful with this repeat attitude fans seem to develop on how omnipotent Town are and our god given right to succeed… and also the suggestion that McKenna and the takeover is proven, guaranteed to succeed

I fully back McKenna, I think he’s great… but he’s done nothing yet; bar a short run of form and performance, that petered out

A pub team could have probably cut through that Gillingham side so beautifully; and it masked a desperate need for a striker

Rotherham we’re significantly better than us last season in 3 halves and across the season; Bolton even better against us. Barnsley and Peterborough will be tough.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:55 - Jun 27 with 1684 viewsHighgateBlue

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 23:21 - Jun 26 by ParisBlue

Indeed. More than anything we need to create more chances. Do that, and we become flat-track bullies to half the division.

There can be absolutely no excuses this year.

With this in mind, what do we think of the apparent lack of keenness to have Celina back this year? I know we can't know what the finances are, and I think we all trust K-Mac's judgment, but given that we could apparently afford him last year, what are people's thoughts on his omission? Is the squad fine as it is in that position, do we need a replacement for him, or must we get him back as a priority?
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:56 - Jun 27 with 1667 viewsWallingford_Boy

Can you explain our "big upgrade" please?

RIP Sir Bobby

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:59 - Jun 27 with 1658 viewsxrayspecs

Our squad is largely complete, while other clubs have a lot more recruitment to undertake.

Best time to judge this is once the window closes.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:05 - Jun 27 with 1630 viewsBig_Jase

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:55 - Jun 27 by HighgateBlue

With this in mind, what do we think of the apparent lack of keenness to have Celina back this year? I know we can't know what the finances are, and I think we all trust K-Mac's judgment, but given that we could apparently afford him last year, what are people's thoughts on his omission? Is the squad fine as it is in that position, do we need a replacement for him, or must we get him back as a priority?

Most people seem to think McKenna doesn’t necessarily want him back, not first choice anyway.

If we want him, we will get him. There’s no concern about finances, we are spending huge amounts of money on wages for our new signings already and we have a huge budget for our level.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:08 - Jun 27 with 1610 viewsbobbyramsey

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:32 - Jun 27 by SamWhiteUK

Sunderland bloody well took part in it!

Maybe we should become a little more "streetwise" too.....
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:22 - Jun 27 with 1519 viewspablo_canooga

1) Win a game of football before 18.09 this time. The league table after we beat Lincoln City (a) last season was thus :-
Wigan 16
Sunderland 16
MK Dons 15
Plymouth 14
Wycombe 14
Rotherham 13
Aside from Sheff Wed (who were on 11 incidentally), that top 6 stayed the same all season. We were already 10 points behind Wigan.

2) Take more than 4pts out of 24 available off newly promoted sides - Bolton LL, Cheltenham LD, Cambridge DL and Morcambe DD - nowhere near good enough. If we had taken an extra 20 points etc, we'd have finished 2/3.

Low hanging fruit.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:36 - Jun 27 with 1442 viewsRobTheMonk

We need to start getting more results against the top 6-8 teams. For whatever reason, we've struggled to pick up wins against promotion rivals.

I think Ladapo could be a really good signing for our system.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024