Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... 20:09 - Jun 26 with 3977 viewsbluestandard

Just looking at the top 11 last season (substituting promoted teams with relegated teams) and with transfer activity starting to take shape:-

[Peterborough] - IMHO should be one of the favourites for automatic promotion. Like Rotherham.
[Derby] - In a real mess. Not better than Wigan.
Milton Keynes - Will be strong but have lost their best player. Will surely be worse off than last year?
Wednesday - Upgraded in the transfer window.
[Barnsley] - Losing best players, not replacing with proven quality. Definitely a downgrade on Sunderland last year.
Wycombe - Probably about the same. But I think they were lucky to scrape the playoffs and imho they overachieved.
Plymouth - Lost a bunch of loanees and Camara possibly about to exit. Might end up similar but not better.
Oxford United - Selling players, probably worse off than last year.
Bolton - Made some good signings. Bad start last year means they will be higher this time?
Portsmouth - Bazunu, Jacobs gone. Curtis/Harness to follow. Surely weaker?
Ipswich Town - Big Upgrade (hopefully!) with more to follow. No significant outgoings.

Its early days, but I like how its shaping up for us!
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:52 - Jun 27 with 733 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 08:35 - Jun 27 by Sharkey

I wonder if there will be a surprise team, like Wycombe a few seasons ago. I’ll go for Fleetwood!

Im with you, I think they have done some good business.

Scott Brown is the big question mark, but i think he will make Fleetwood a really tough place to go and win

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 11:10 - Jun 27 with 682 viewsbluestandard

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 09:56 - Jun 27 by Wallingford_Boy

Can you explain our "big upgrade" please?

I did say 'hopefully'! But ok, I'll bite.......

Norwood out, Ladapo in = upgrade
Carroll out, Ball in = upgrade
Thompson out, Leigh in = we'll see, but sounds like upgrade subject to keeping him fit

Not only are they upgrades, but they come in the areas where our team was weakest.

Celina is the only significant 'outgoing' so far, but a deal might be done later in the window. Personally, I'd be just as happy seeing his position filled by a combination of Edwards/Humphreys/Chirewa.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 12:20 - Jun 27 with 643 viewsunstableblue

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:22 - Jun 27 by pablo_canooga

1) Win a game of football before 18.09 this time. The league table after we beat Lincoln City (a) last season was thus :-
Wigan 16
Sunderland 16
MK Dons 15
Plymouth 14
Wycombe 14
Rotherham 13
Aside from Sheff Wed (who were on 11 incidentally), that top 6 stayed the same all season. We were already 10 points behind Wigan.

2) Take more than 4pts out of 24 available off newly promoted sides - Bolton LL, Cheltenham LD, Cambridge DL and Morcambe DD - nowhere near good enough. If we had taken an extra 20 points etc, we'd have finished 2/3.

Low hanging fruit.

Good post

Sums up that this contention we’re suddenly going to start beating everyone in the league is ridiculous

Top teams or lower teams… I think lower teams are going to employ even deeper lying players and ever more time wasting

But I’m still very hopeful of a good start and to stay in tops six for the season… but I don’t think it’s definite by any means

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 12:34 - Jun 27 with 626 viewstractorboy1978

Peterborough just lost Jorge Grant to Hearts.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 12:45 - Jun 27 with 615 viewsBigCommon

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 12:20 - Jun 27 by unstableblue

Good post

Sums up that this contention we’re suddenly going to start beating everyone in the league is ridiculous

Top teams or lower teams… I think lower teams are going to employ even deeper lying players and ever more time wasting

But I’m still very hopeful of a good start and to stay in tops six for the season… but I don’t think it’s definite by any means

We had too many draws , too imo... 14 off the top of my head.. Fine lines there?.. Convert half those into wins, and that's another 14 points... Better to win 3 and lose 3, than draw 6..
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 13:24 - Jun 27 with 540 viewsitfc_bucks

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 11:10 - Jun 27 by bluestandard

I did say 'hopefully'! But ok, I'll bite.......

Norwood out, Ladapo in = upgrade
Carroll out, Ball in = upgrade
Thompson out, Leigh in = we'll see, but sounds like upgrade subject to keeping him fit

Not only are they upgrades, but they come in the areas where our team was weakest.

Celina is the only significant 'outgoing' so far, but a deal might be done later in the window. Personally, I'd be just as happy seeing his position filled by a combination of Edwards/Humphreys/Chirewa.

Broadly agree, and I may be in a minority of one, but I really don't see how losing Celina is the earth-shattering loss others seem to see it as.

If he truly is as good as so many seem to think, and he really is on a different level to what we have, then I'd rather reinvest the wages in lesser players, more in tune with the good squad we already have.

I genuinely think we have a significantly better drilled and settled team going into this campaign than we had going into the last.

Paul Cook's demolition man job was, in hindsight, ridiculous and reckless. Doubtless he drove it and he paid the price.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 14:06 - Jun 27 with 486 viewsmarkchips

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 13:24 - Jun 27 by itfc_bucks

Broadly agree, and I may be in a minority of one, but I really don't see how losing Celina is the earth-shattering loss others seem to see it as.

If he truly is as good as so many seem to think, and he really is on a different level to what we have, then I'd rather reinvest the wages in lesser players, more in tune with the good squad we already have.

I genuinely think we have a significantly better drilled and settled team going into this campaign than we had going into the last.

Paul Cook's demolition man job was, in hindsight, ridiculous and reckless. Doubtless he drove it and he paid the price.

I agree, Celina has to be more consistent to justify the spend. Having said that I fully expect Ashton is playing the long game re cost and he will be back .
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:24 - Jun 27 with 410 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 13:24 - Jun 27 by itfc_bucks

Cook's demolition was the best thing he did for the club. The only good thing though. It was imperative to get rid of them as they had been failing and leeching of the club for years. Is there a player who proved him wrong following the departure? Downes maybe but he wanted to leave the club at the start of that season.
Login to get fewer ads

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:26 - Jun 27 with 403 viewsGeoffSentence

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 07:46 - Jun 27 by Chrisd

It’s utterly embarrassing and laughable reading the comments from some of our fans after a game when they are complaining about the tactics of opposition sides. Bottomline, we need to be better and far more clinical than we have been in the last 3 years.

I think fans have every right to complain, we pay to see a football match not 90 minutes of goalkeepers sitting on their @rses pretending to be injured.

The team on the other hand have to just get on with it and beat whatever is in front of them. I can't remember the team or staff complaining about the manner in which the opposition played.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:27 - Jun 27 with 396 viewsBonneNIL

Weaker?

I am sorry but this isn't based on reality is it, it's straw clutching in the hope we may finish above mid-table and so far we simply haven't strengthed or replaced.

Poll: Best Adidas Home Shirt of the Modern Era

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:40 - Jun 27 with 361 viewsSTYG

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:27 - Jun 27 by BonneNIL

Weaker?

I am sorry but this isn't based on reality is it, it's straw clutching in the hope we may finish above mid-table and so far we simply haven't strengthed or replaced.

Absolutely convinced by now you're just a troll.

Would you like to explain your logic if not?

How is Ladapo not an upgrade on Bonne or Norwood. He outscored them both in the same division. Bonne had 1 goal in his last 26 matches? I'd be an upgrade!

Ball played 100 games in 3 years in the Championship, replacing Bakinson or Carroll, whichever you prefer.

Leigh, one of the best wing backs in the division replaces Penney or Thompson, neither of whom were amongst the best wing backs in the division.

Plus we've added John-Jules, a highly rated player who can play in a number of positions.

Under McKenna we were a top two side for most of, top six side for the rest of it. Without him having his own players and from a horrendous starting position.

So you're just talking utter gash as usual.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2022 15:44]
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:43 - Jun 27 with 355 viewsSTYG

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:26 - Jun 27 by GeoffSentence

I think fans have every right to complain, we pay to see a football match not 90 minutes of goalkeepers sitting on their @rses pretending to be injured.

The team on the other hand have to just get on with it and beat whatever is in front of them. I can't remember the team or staff complaining about the manner in which the opposition played.

We do have a right to complain.

I have no issue with Morecambe or Cheltenham, who have a budget that's a tenth of ours, trying every trick in the book to slow us down, frustrate us and so on.

If they want to park the bus they can. It's up to us to break them down.

But it has to be every LEGAL trick in the book and it's for refs to get a bloody grip when players fall over at the slightest touch to buy free kicks, leave the pitch by the longest route, goalkeepers taking 3 minutes to take a goal kick and players constantly going down with cramp in the last 75 minutes.

We have to be better at scoring and forcing these teams to hurry. But ultimately we have a right to be annoyed with the dark arts that are not legal, failing to be dealt with by the officials.
Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 15:48 - Jun 27 with 344 viewsSharkey

Top end of League 1 looking weaker this year....... on 10:52 - Jun 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

Im with you, I think they have done some good business.

Scott Brown is the big question mark, but i think he will make Fleetwood a really tough place to go and win

I was surprised he didn't take a lower-league stalwart as his number 2 - instead it's Stephen Whittaker, who not only played for Norwich - but also 150 times for Rangers. I bet this surprised a few Celtic fans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024