Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon 09:34 - Aug 29 with 6063 viewsPhilTWTD

https://t.co/Jr2yCXsf9S

This post has been edited by an administrator
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:36 - Aug 29 with 4628 viewsKeno

Bacon & Ham ....

does the team include Steve Parma?

Poll: IF TWTD was a constituency who'd you vote for?
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:40 - Aug 29 with 4588 viewsFixed_It

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:36 - Aug 29 by Keno

Bacon & Ham ....

Not going to listen - probably just telling porkies!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:52 - Aug 29 with 4565 viewsTractorCam

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:40 - Aug 29 by Fixed_It

I wonder how many Canadian's Bacon has selected?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 10:01 - Aug 29 with 4548 viewsKeno

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:40 - Aug 29 by Fixed_It

Im confused, a few minutes in a Phil is talking about this wonderful magical forum place - where is that then?

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 13:25 - Aug 29 with 4377 viewsnodge_blue

How does Kiwomya make the first 11 over Dalian Atkinson or Marcus Stewart.

He was a decent striker, but the sort that the more time you gave him to score the more he fluffed it. Atkinson was way better - though didn't play for us so long.

Im not really expecting you to defend your selections though! All a bit of fun......

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 14:15 - Aug 29 with 4312 viewsPhilTWTD

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 13:25 - Aug 29 by nodge_blue

He was a decent striker, but the sort that the more time you gave him to score the more he fluffed it. Atkinson was way better - though didn't play for us so long.

Im not really expecting you to defend your selections though! All a bit of fun......

It's about favourite rather than best and KIwomya was so important in 91/92 and the spell in the Premier League that followed. Was a toss-up between him and David Johnson, who played such an important role in George's team in the years up to promotion. Obviously have fond memories of Stewart and Dalian but can't pick everyone!
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 14:40 - Aug 29 with 4283 viewsnodge_blue

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 14:15 - Aug 29 by PhilTWTD

It's about favourite rather than best and KIwomya was so important in 91/92 and the spell in the Premier League that followed. Was a toss-up between him and David Johnson, who played such an important role in George's team in the years up to promotion. Obviously have fond memories of Stewart and Dalian but can't pick everyone!

That's fair enough. He certainly have his all. I remember him being very fond of John lyall and crediting him with improving his game after he scored a (couple?) At Aston villa.

Be good if a few of the current crop make the list in a couple of years time.

Herman might get a shout if doing favourites!

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 15:05 - Aug 29 with 4250 viewsPhilTWTD

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 14:40 - Aug 29 by nodge_blue

That's fair enough. He certainly have his all. I remember him being very fond of John lyall and crediting him with improving his game after he scored a (couple?) At Aston villa.

Be good if a few of the current crop make the list in a couple of years time.

Herman might get a shout if doing favourites!

Good shout but difficult to get in at full-back ahead of Mills and Taricco and Beattie and Butcher as a centre-half!

We did a podcast with Chris in the summer in which he talked about John Lyall a fair bit.

TWTD and Blue Monday Podcast - Chris Kiwomya Part One 3rd Jul 2022 19:00
Chris Kiwomya is the star of the latest TWTD-Blue Monday Podcast collaboration. 2

TWTD and Blue Monday Podcast - Chris Kiwomya Part Two 5th Jul 2022 19:09
In part two of the TWTD-Blue Monday Podcast collaboration with Chris Kiwomya the former striker talks about his days as a player with Arsenal, in France, Malaysia, Denmark and at QPR, his time back at Town coaching under Jim Magilton and Roy Keane, managing Jack Grealish at Notts County, and his current role as national team coach of the British Virgin Islands. 0

Login to get fewer ads

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 16:35 - Aug 29 with 4168 viewsTrequartista

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:36 - Aug 29 by Keno

Bacon & Ham ....

There's no beef between those two.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 17:09 - Aug 29 with 4146 viewsChurchman

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 13:25 - Aug 29 by nodge_blue

He made his debut at 18 and in eight years made over 220 appearances for us scoring more than 50 goals. 90 of those appearances were in the PL.

Kiwomya is often overlooked, but I was lucky enough to see the majority of his home appearances and some of the away ones too. He was a smashing all round player. Not the biggest, he was hard to get off the ball, never shirked it and had a good positional sense.

He was a good foil for whoever he played with including Goddard and Dozzell, was mobile and knew where the goal was. His goal ratio doesn’t look especially brilliant, but he wasn’t really that kind of forward. I would add that at least half those years were spent when the team was struggling both when he started under Duncan and the second two years in the Pl.

There’s much to admire about Dalian and Marcus Stewart and I can see why people mark them as their favourites - but don’t overlook Chris K, even if he did wear an appalling lilac suit on the bus parade after the Brighton final game in 1992.

I enjoyed watching him play and fully understand why Mr Ham picked him.
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 19:02 - Aug 29 with 4083 viewsKeno

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 16:35 - Aug 29 by Trequartista

There's no beef between those two.

Reggie Lambe could have been fitted in

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 10:14 - Aug 30 with 3822 viewsPhilTWTD

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 19:02 - Aug 29 by Keno

Reggie Lambe could have been fitted in

Definitely, he's the GOAT!
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 10:27 - Aug 30 with 3808 viewssolemio

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 17:09 - Aug 29 by Churchman

He made his debut at 18 and in eight years made over 220 appearances for us scoring more than 50 goals. 90 of those appearances were in the PL.

Kiwomya is often overlooked, but I was lucky enough to see the majority of his home appearances and some of the away ones too. He was a smashing all round player. Not the biggest, he was hard to get off the ball, never shirked it and had a good positional sense.

He was a good foil for whoever he played with including Goddard and Dozzell, was mobile and knew where the goal was. His goal ratio doesn’t look especially brilliant, but he wasn’t really that kind of forward. I would add that at least half those years were spent when the team was struggling both when he started under Duncan and the second two years in the Pl.

There’s much to admire about Dalian and Marcus Stewart and I can see why people mark them as their favourites - but don’t overlook Chris K, even if he did wear an appalling lilac suit on the bus parade after the Brighton final game in 1992.

I enjoyed watching him play and fully understand why Mr Ham picked him.

And, of course, he was also almost certainly the fastest sprinter ever at our club.
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 11:27 - Aug 30 with 3771 viewsKeno

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 10:14 - Aug 30 by PhilTWTD

Definitely, he's the GOAT!

if only Sheepshanks was still at the club

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 11:36 - Aug 30 with 3766 viewshoppy

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 09:52 - Aug 29 by TractorCam

I wonder how many Canadian's Bacon has selected?

Some of his choices are a bit streaky, to be fair.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 11:44 - Aug 30 with 3749 viewsnodge_blue

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 15:05 - Aug 29 by PhilTWTD

Good shout but difficult to get in at full-back ahead of Mills and Taricco and Beattie and Butcher as a centre-half!

We did a podcast with Chris in the summer in which he talked about John Lyall a fair bit.

TWTD and Blue Monday Podcast - Chris Kiwomya Part One 3rd Jul 2022 19:00
Chris Kiwomya is the star of the latest TWTD-Blue Monday Podcast collaboration. 2

TWTD and Blue Monday Podcast - Chris Kiwomya Part Two 5th Jul 2022 19:09
In part two of the TWTD-Blue Monday Podcast collaboration with Chris Kiwomya the former striker talks about his days as a player with Arsenal, in France, Malaysia, Denmark and at QPR, his time back at Town coaching under Jim Magilton and Roy Keane, managing Jack Grealish at Notts County, and his current role as national team coach of the British Virgin Islands. 0

I was thinking about Mariner....I was just a lad of course...but I remember there being a bit of a bad taste when he and Warky left. The club were in a bit of decline and both suddenly said they wanted a big wage increase. I can remember Jasper Carrot even doing a small joke about it on Saturday night TV showing lorries turning up delivering their wages.

The club said no and then they handed in transfer requests.

I guess we forgave them both in time. Especially Warky. But I think for that alone I wouldn't have Mariner as a total favourite.

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:30 - Aug 30 with 3497 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just listened on my jog. Best one so far for anecdotes and knowledge of the players.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 12:36 - Aug 31 with 3192 viewsGeoffSentence

Disappointed that you neglected to mention Mick Mills posture. Marvellous, marvellous, posture. Ramrod straight back like a sergeant major. The finest posture of any English footballer. Like a walking advert for the alexander technique.

Even sitting, slouching or lying down in a louche manner, the sort of manner that would scream musk and sex for any other individual, his posture was evidently superior to those around him.

MArvellous man, marvellous posture.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 12:38 - Aug 31 with 3185 viewsPhilTWTD

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:30 - Aug 30 by GlasgowBlue

Just listened on my jog. Best one so far for anecdotes and knowledge of the players.

Cheers!
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 20:02 - Aug 31 with 3032 viewsSwansea_Blue

“We’ve had people meet and children born because of the forum…that was never the intention”.

Glad to hear it, as the last thing I want is to be exposed to Mullet’s bearded dragon. Which segways us nicely into the sponsor. I’m not sure a mens grooming/hairdressing product site was the best option for this particular episode

*runs away & ignores any flashing red lights*

PS. Great watch that, and a nice team. Brave move to not have Burley in the team, but presumably that was to allow him as manager (or to not upset Gav by making room for treacle!). It’s hard to do, as the temptation is to go mostly for SBR’s later team, but I liked your reasoning. Some good memories too. Kiwomya would be the only pick I don’t agree with or think you’ve justified - Brazil is the clear pick there for me. But, as you said, it really should be Crawford - too early for me too.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 20:04]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 21:28 - Aug 31 with 2994 viewsNthsuffolkblue

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 20:02 - Aug 31 by Swansea_Blue

“We’ve had people meet and children born because of the forum…that was never the intention”.

Glad to hear it, as the last thing I want is to be exposed to Mullet’s bearded dragon. Which segways us nicely into the sponsor. I’m not sure a mens grooming/hairdressing product site was the best option for this particular episode

*runs away & ignores any flashing red lights*

PS. Great watch that, and a nice team. Brave move to not have Burley in the team, but presumably that was to allow him as manager (or to not upset Gav by making room for treacle!). It’s hard to do, as the temptation is to go mostly for SBR’s later team, but I liked your reasoning. Some good memories too. Kiwomya would be the only pick I don’t agree with or think you’ve justified - Brazil is the clear pick there for me. But, as you said, it really should be Crawford - too early for me too.
[Post edited 31 Aug 2022 20:04]

"It was never the intention” but I can imagine Phil is looking into the twtd dating section. In fact, sometimes some of the "debates" on here become reminiscent of old married couples!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 14:21 - Sep 2 with 2531 viewsPJH

I have never attempted to select my 'Favourite' ITFC XI I have enough trouble deciding on a 'Best Ever'.

When it comes to 'Best Ever' there are seven nailed on to be in it but the other four places I can never settle on, perhaps one day.

The seven certainties are Mills, Hunter, Beattie, Thijssen, Wark, Muhren and Crawford.
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:28 - Sep 2 with 2466 viewsChurchman

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 14:21 - Sep 2 by PJH

I have never attempted to select my 'Favourite' ITFC XI I have enough trouble deciding on a 'Best Ever'.

When it comes to 'Best Ever' there are seven nailed on to be in it but the other four places I can never settle on, perhaps one day.

The seven certainties are Mills, Hunter, Beattie, Thijssen, Wark, Muhren and Crawford.

There is a difference between favourite and best and both are hard to call. Obviously best for most might include players before their time. Favourite - might not be the best or even have played that many games.

At eight years old my favourite was John O’Rourke. Tousled black hair, scored every week. He was gone in no time much to my dismay. Another early favourite was Derek Jefferson. Old Chopper seemed to clobber man or ball or both. Agricultural covers it. How was I to know he was virtually blind? Then came Jimmy Robertson. My favourite of that early 70s period.

None will make my best 11 which begins with your choices. To them, I’ll add Richard Wright, Taricco, Paul Mariner and Clive Woods. What a team.
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:35 - Sep 2 with 2462 viewsmrfixit426

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:28 - Sep 2 by Churchman

There is a difference between favourite and best and both are hard to call. Obviously best for most might include players before their time. Favourite - might not be the best or even have played that many games.

At eight years old my favourite was John O’Rourke. Tousled black hair, scored every week. He was gone in no time much to my dismay. Another early favourite was Derek Jefferson. Old Chopper seemed to clobber man or ball or both. Agricultural covers it. How was I to know he was virtually blind? Then came Jimmy Robertson. My favourite of that early 70s period.

None will make my best 11 which begins with your choices. To them, I’ll add Richard Wright, Taricco, Paul Mariner and Clive Woods. What a team.

Yep exactly.

My favourite player when I was a teen was David Lowe. I used to study his movement off the ball and then try to replicate it when I played. Clever player who deserved a better team around him. But wouldn't get anywhere near a best ever selection.

Was never the same after that Chris Whyte tackle. (I was 20 yds away from it).
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 18:35]
My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:49 - Sep 2 with 2445 viewsChurchman

My Favourite Town XI with Mike Bacon on 18:35 - Sep 2 by mrfixit426

Yep exactly.

My favourite player when I was a teen was David Lowe. I used to study his movement off the ball and then try to replicate it when I played. Clever player who deserved a better team around him. But wouldn't get anywhere near a best ever selection.

Was never the same after that Chris Whyte tackle. (I was 20 yds away from it).
[Post edited 2 Sep 2022 18:35]

David Lowe was a smashing player. A real highlight in the depressing Duncan years. All big hair, eyebrows and sort of stoop, he was good on the ball, rarely gave it away,, knew where the goal was and where his team mates were.

You are right. He was never the same after that tackle. Whyte well and truly did him. It’s good that he went on to make over 200 appearances for other clubs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024