Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players Ready For Prem? 10:10 - Oct 26 with 3709 viewsbob12

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I was having a think about how many of our starting 11 is Prem Standard. The jump is much larger than this season so was thinking how many signings would we realistically need?
I love watching this team play, but you only have to look at Burnley. They walked the Champ last season but really struggling to make the step up.
Thoughts on which current players start the first game of the Prem Season?
Players Ready For Prem? on 10:12 - Oct 26 with 3065 viewsTractorCam

Davis and Broadhead are there, Morsy possibly although he'll be 33 this time next year.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:13 - Oct 26 with 3057 viewstextbackup

Wolf could play any level you put him in

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:13 - Oct 26 with 3059 viewsGuthrum

Keep most of the same squad together. Worked this time.

Too many signings can mess a team up.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:18 - Oct 26 with 3023 viewsFrimleyBlue

from starting 11, only 2 for me won't cut it in prem.
Morsy, Luongo

I just can't see either being quick enough to cope with it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:18 - Oct 26 with 3028 viewssuffolkpoker

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:13 - Oct 26 by Guthrum

Keep most of the same squad together. Worked this time.

Too many signings can mess a team up.

I would agree with this. IF we go up i would like to see 3 or 4 signings and keep the bulk of the same side. If they come straight back down it will make them even better for the following season.

Players who will be fin;-

Chaps
Wolfy
Burns
Morsey
Williams - shame a loan
Broadhead
Both keepers would also be ok imo.

I also think Hirst would have a part to play.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:25 - Oct 26 with 2999 viewsGuthrum

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:18 - Oct 26 by suffolkpoker

I would agree with this. IF we go up i would like to see 3 or 4 signings and keep the bulk of the same side. If they come straight back down it will make them even better for the following season.

Chaps
Wolfy
Burns
Morsey
Williams - shame a loan
Broadhead

Think Hutchinson and Williams should be the targets we go after (same as Hirst and Luongo in the summer) - consolidation of a winning setup - plus one or two others.

Not seen enough of Scarlett to judge yet. Plus there may be one or two arriving in January to go into the mix.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:31 - Oct 26 with 2936 views_clive_baker_

We would definitely need a serious level of investment, but I don't think Gamechanger will have invested to get us there for us to make up the numbers.

Woolf, Davis, Williams (if we could make perm), Broadhead wouldn't look out of place IMO. Then you've got Walton, Chaplin, Hirst and Burns who would have earned the chance. Tuanzebe potentially depending on how he gets on here.

We would almost certainly be looking at 4 or 5 quality additions, particularly through the spine of the team and in the middle.
Players Ready For Prem? on 10:38 - Oct 26 with 2887 viewsMullet

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:31 - Oct 26 by _clive_baker_

We would definitely need a serious level of investment, but I don't think Gamechanger will have invested to get us there for us to make up the numbers.

Woolf, Davis, Williams (if we could make perm), Broadhead wouldn't look out of place IMO. Then you've got Walton, Chaplin, Hirst and Burns who would have earned the chance. Tuanzebe potentially depending on how he gets on here.

We would almost certainly be looking at 4 or 5 quality additions, particularly through the spine of the team and in the middle.

Yep, this the issue is as you move from "can play in the Prem" to "do ok in the Prem" to "thrive in the Prem" the number starts low and diminishes fairly quickly at the moment.

Lots of potential here, but the idea we'd not need a similar squad evolution to January on steroids seems naive at best.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Login to get fewer ads

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:50 - Oct 26 with 2822 viewsWeWereZombies

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:18 - Oct 26 by suffolkpoker

Chaps
Wolfy
Burns
Morsey
Williams - shame a loan
Broadhead

It's a tin line between fin and fine...

There are players who we would have said of at this time last year could not step up to the Second Division from the Third: Burgess, Donacien, Burns, even Chaplin but who have shown their mettle. It's a complex formula of ability, fitting into the shape of teh squad and into the patterns of play required for individual games. As Guthrum says, too many new faces can disrupt a squad. No Serenis please.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Players Ready For Prem? on 11:00 - Oct 26 with 2781 viewsChrisd

Make no mistake, this a huge step up in class. This isn’t like when we came up under Burley and we made a couple of additions to the squad. As you rightly say, look at Burnley, look at Forest last season with the amount of players they have brought in and also look at how the Canaries did it by not investing. I think for us, just concentrate on this season, there’s so many games left lots of twists and turns yet. We don’t need to worry about the EPL just yet, but nice to have these discussions. It seemed a long way off not so long ago.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Players Ready For Prem? on 12:06 - Oct 26 with 2656 viewsGarv

Back four would be fine I think. I doubt Burgess is any worse than some of the defenders currently playing for the likes of Forest, Luton and Sheff Utd.

Morsy and Mass would struggle with pace but we're not likely to simply release both of them this summer if we go up are we?

Broadhead would be more than fine.

Hladky - maybe
Williams - yes
Wolf - yes
Burg - yes
Davis - yes

Morsy - unsure
Mass - maybe not

Burns - maybe
Chaplin - 50/50 - pace an issue I think.
Broadhead - definitely

Hirst - yes - albeit wouldn't be first choice

It's all irrelevant in a way because whatever side McKenna puts out will do the business.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Players Ready For Prem? on 12:33 - Oct 26 with 2582 viewsnorfsufblue

Players Ready For Prem? on 12:06 - Oct 26 by Garv

Back four would be fine I think. I doubt Burgess is any worse than some of the defenders currently playing for the likes of Forest, Luton and Sheff Utd.

Morsy and Mass would struggle with pace but we're not likely to simply release both of them this summer if we go up are we?

Broadhead would be more than fine.

Hladky - maybe
Williams - yes
Wolf - yes
Burg - yes
Davis - yes

Morsy - unsure
Mass - maybe not

Burns - maybe
Chaplin - 50/50 - pace an issue I think.
Broadhead - definitely

Hirst - yes - albeit wouldn't be first choice

It's all irrelevant in a way because whatever side McKenna puts out will do the business.

Burgess or McGuire.....I don't think I'd swap at the moment tbf
Players Ready For Prem? on 12:42 - Oct 26 with 2550 viewsRyorry

Way too ahead of yourself for my comfort.

Remember Owls & Owlstalk last season ..?

Complacency is the downfall of many ventures, not jst football (remember Neil Kinnock & 'Things can only get better).

I'll just carry on taking each game as it comes, as KM & squad do - can't think of a finer example of leadership than that.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Players Ready For Prem? on 12:48 - Oct 26 with 2517 viewsstrikalite

Players Ready For Prem? on 12:33 - Oct 26 by norfsufblue

Burgess or McGuire.....I don't think I'd swap at the moment tbf

I was going to start a thread asking would you swap Wolf for Harry Maguire, I wouldn't for sure..
Players Ready For Prem? on 12:49 - Oct 26 with 2517 viewsRyorry

Players Ready For Prem? on 11:00 - Oct 26 by Chrisd

Make no mistake, this a huge step up in class. This isn’t like when we came up under Burley and we made a couple of additions to the squad. As you rightly say, look at Burnley, look at Forest last season with the amount of players they have brought in and also look at how the Canaries did it by not investing. I think for us, just concentrate on this season, there’s so many games left lots of twists and turns yet. We don’t need to worry about the EPL just yet, but nice to have these discussions. It seemed a long way off not so long ago.

Burley didn't just make "a couple of additions to the squad" though did he - that was exactly the problem. He added several simultaneously, which not only broke the wage structure & thus upset many of the existing squad, but wrecked the team spirit & togetherness of the squad which had been a big factor in getting us promoted.

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:07 - Oct 26 with 2464 viewsWeWereZombies

Players Ready For Prem? on 12:49 - Oct 26 by Ryorry

Burley didn't just make "a couple of additions to the squad" though did he - that was exactly the problem. He added several simultaneously, which not only broke the wage structure & thus upset many of the existing squad, but wrecked the team spirit & togetherness of the squad which had been a big factor in getting us promoted.

I think it was a couple of additions though, Finidi (a good addition but past his best and away on International duty too often to be that focal point we needed) and Sereni (no better than Andy Marshall as a keeper and a lot worse as a dressing room influence if accounts are to be believed.) And this was in the year after finishing fifth in the top flight, a lot of the group who had performed so well in the Second Division were retained through the seasons with intelligent additions (Stewie, Reuser, Herman) along the way.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:11 - Oct 26 with 2439 viewssuffolkpoker

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:50 - Oct 26 by WeWereZombies

It's a tin line between fin and fine...

There are players who we would have said of at this time last year could not step up to the Second Division from the Third: Burgess, Donacien, Burns, even Chaplin but who have shown their mettle. It's a complex formula of ability, fitting into the shape of teh squad and into the patterns of play required for individual games. As Guthrum says, too many new faces can disrupt a squad. No Serenis please.

Thanks for picking up my typo. The edit buttoon is for wimps...

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:11 - Oct 26 with 2435 viewsChrisd

That was the 2nd season, where we’d done so well during that 1st campaign and finished 5th. The gulf now between the Championship and the EPL is massive in comparison to back then due to the money. When a side like Burnley who absolutely dominated the Championship last season struggles, then you know it’s tough. I’m interested to see how Luton do, they have invested in their squad without paying silly money, perhaps that is our model especially if they survive?

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:16 - Oct 26 with 2390 viewswkj

Reading some of the comments here are amusing as we were having the same answers to the "Who is ready for the Champ" convo. It will be interesting to see what happens when we go up and how quickly GC20 will be looking to sell the club on

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:31 - Oct 26 with 2357 viewsParsley

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:16 - Oct 26 by wkj

Reading some of the comments here are amusing as we were having the same answers to the "Who is ready for the Champ" convo. It will be interesting to see what happens when we go up and how quickly GC20 will be looking to sell the club on

When this conversation was happening last season there were a few starters who I thought would move to the bench and some of the back ups I thought would move on. Turns out we have almost the same starting XI and are winning virtually every game. Who knows if that will last but I'm not putting any limits on this team or these players any more, just excited to see how far they can go.

Of course there will be additions along the way and we should always be looking to improve the squad but I'm not writing anyone off. Wouldn't have expected Hladky and Burgess to be starting in the Championship but they are doing great!
Players Ready For Prem? on 13:54 - Oct 26 with 2282 viewsPinewoodblue

Think you are looking back at Burley’s second season in the top flight rather than the first.

At this point in the season the chances are that the table looks nothing like it will come May. A year ago none of the teams that made the play offs were in the top six. Years ago, following relegation, Watford got off to a good start but after a string of draw in the new year scraped into play offs

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:57 - Oct 26 with 2276 viewstractordownsouth

With the caveat that there’s a long long way to go and potential for things to go wrong here’s hypothetically how I think we’d look to build the squad if we make it. The jump would be much bigger than the one we’ve just had, so I imagine we’d want to keep the continuity with starters becoming bench players and making 4 or 5 improvements to the first XI.

Hladky - Sold on to be a no 1 elsewhere.
Williams - starter (signed permanently)
Woolfenden - starter
Burgess - bench (perhaps in favour of Tuanzebe if we can get him fit)
Davis - starter
Morsy - starter
Luongo - bench. Could see him delaying his return back home if PL football is on offer.
Burns - bench
Chaplin - starter
Broadhead - starter
Hirst - bench

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:59 - Oct 26 with 2268 viewsRyorry

Players Ready For Prem? on 13:11 - Oct 26 by Chrisd

That was the 2nd season, where we’d done so well during that 1st campaign and finished 5th. The gulf now between the Championship and the EPL is massive in comparison to back then due to the money. When a side like Burnley who absolutely dominated the Championship last season struggles, then you know it’s tough. I’m interested to see how Luton do, they have invested in their squad without paying silly money, perhaps that is our model especially if they survive?

Ah, yes 👍 - sorry, got those 2 seasons mixed up.

Players Ready For Prem? on 14:19 - Oct 26 with 2215 viewsmutters

Please let's not go there just yet, we are only just over a quarter of a very long season and anything can happen. All it takes is a few injuries to players that are not easily replaceable and boom...

Very excited about the season, it's an amazing time to be a Town fan especially what we have been through over the last 15 years....

Let's just enjoy it and see where we are in May. No jinxing, please.

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Players Ready For Prem? on 14:36 - Oct 26 with 2145 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Players Ready For Prem? on 10:31 - Oct 26 by _clive_baker_

January is going to be a very interesting window isn’t. January 2023 was crucial to our current success and, whilst difficult, I wonder if KM will want to bring in a couple of players that he sees as potential starters in the league above.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024