Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability 13:19 - Jan 10 with 13454 viewsFinidiCentenary

I have never taken to David McGoldrick. Even when he's been on fire, banged in goals and procuded moments of genius, there's just something I don't like about the guy. I think it's most likely his more relaxed attitude and that he often appears lazy, even though he isn't. By contrast Dozzell wasn't a million miles off in some ways but I always loved Dozzer.

With Didz I always see him as playing for himself and not the team. I never took to Tom Lawrence either and haven't to Celina. Same with Jimmy Bullard. All three have that air of arrogance which might be totally unjustified and misplaced. All excellent players but just didn't warm to them. Like McGoldrick they gave / give off (to me anyway) that they are there for themselves first and the team second.

By contrast Uhlenbeek was pony but I loved the guy, probably just because he was Dutch! Axeldahl (the unluckiest player ever surely when you consider his reserves strike rate) was poor for the first team, but I really liked him.

I also loved Paz. I put that down to the excitement of a big signing from South America!
[Post edited 10 Jan 2018 13:22]

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:36 - Jan 10 with 7274 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Out of the current crop of players I have never really warmed to Teddy Bishop if im honest but do have a soft spot for Knudsen.

Before that, I agree with you about Lawrence last year, think it didnt help that he seemed to save all his best performances for away from home though.

McCauley for me too, never really liked him and thought he was very over-rated but then went onto to do it in the Premier League with WBA for many years so what do I know. Just remeber a 36 year old Dele Adebola out pacing him and thought what a donkey he was.

Dozzel Snr was the reason I fell in love with football and Ipswich so I will always be thankful for that and really cant wait to see what Dozzel Jnr can do next year, have very high hopes for him.

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:40 - Jan 10 with 7252 viewsOsborneOneNil

Ah, you're not a fan of 'flair' players then.

Skuse fan?
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:43 - Jan 10 with 7238 viewsFinidiCentenary

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:40 - Jan 10 by OsborneOneNil

Ah, you're not a fan of 'flair' players then.

Skuse fan?

There are plenty of flair players that we've had that I have liked and I value the role Skuse plays but think we could improve in his position.

There are flair players that look like they are working hard for the team and flair players that look like they are only interested in being flashy.

Reuser and Peralta were flair players. I never ever got that impression with them.

Poll: Which lower league manager would you appoint if all of the following applied?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:55 - Jan 10 with 7196 viewsmonty_radio

That's just body-language with Didz. Ian Marshall had the trudge. Alan Hunter looked permanently weary. Demeanour does not always equal attitude.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:57 - Jan 10 with 7172 viewsJakeITFC

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:36 - Jan 10 by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Out of the current crop of players I have never really warmed to Teddy Bishop if im honest but do have a soft spot for Knudsen.

Before that, I agree with you about Lawrence last year, think it didnt help that he seemed to save all his best performances for away from home though.

McCauley for me too, never really liked him and thought he was very over-rated but then went onto to do it in the Premier League with WBA for many years so what do I know. Just remeber a 36 year old Dele Adebola out pacing him and thought what a donkey he was.

Dozzel Snr was the reason I fell in love with football and Ipswich so I will always be thankful for that and really cant wait to see what Dozzel Jnr can do next year, have very high hopes for him.

Tbf it just sounds like you're not a very good judge of a player.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:58 - Jan 10 with 7170 viewsPJH

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:55 - Jan 10 by monty_radio

That's just body-language with Didz. Ian Marshall had the trudge. Alan Hunter looked permanently weary. Demeanour does not always equal attitude.

I think with Big Al it might have been the fag hanging out of his mouth too!

You are right, appearances can be deceptive.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:06 - Jan 10 with 7130 viewsfarkenhell

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:58 - Jan 10 by PJH

I think with Big Al it might have been the fag hanging out of his mouth too!

You are right, appearances can be deceptive.

...and the pint too many the night before!
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:15 - Jan 10 with 7098 viewsNeverTellMeTheOdds

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 13:57 - Jan 10 by JakeITFC

Tbf it just sounds like you're not a very good judge of a player.

Bit rude! Good contriubtion

Poll: Will the new season ticket prices make you renew for the 2017/2018 season?

Login to get fewer ads

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:18 - Jan 10 with 7085 viewsJ2BLUE

ALB - should never really have been playing in goal for us but I liked him a lot. I remember being really pleased he was starting against Norwich...

Bullard - c0ck of the highest order. I can't stand him.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:19 - Jan 10 with 7065 viewsWD19

Jim.

Great player. Unquestionably. A huge positive influence on the club.

I just never warmed to him as a personality.

Sorry.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:20 - Jan 10 with 7056 viewsGeoffSentence

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:18 - Jan 10 by J2BLUE

ALB - should never really have been playing in goal for us but I liked him a lot. I remember being really pleased he was starting against Norwich...

Bullard - c0ck of the highest order. I can't stand him.

I feel like I should intervene here, but not quite sure how.

I will accept that you liked ALB and leave it there.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:21 - Jan 10 with 7034 viewsJ2BLUE

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:19 - Jan 10 by WD19

Jim.

Great player. Unquestionably. A huge positive influence on the club.

I just never warmed to him as a personality.

Sorry.

...what? Possibly my favourite Town player ever.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:29 - Jan 10 with 6992 viewsSwailsey

I bloody loved Colin Healy and when I was a kid (and for no reason at all) Chris Keeble.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:29 - Jan 10 with 6994 viewsSmithy

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:21 - Jan 10 by J2BLUE

...what? Possibly my favourite Town player ever.

Chris Kiwomya for me, never really rated him as a player, had a bit of pace but just felt he was very over rated. Thought Dozzell made him look a better player at times than he really was.

Kuqi was a funny one also, some people rave on about him but although he worked his socks off etc. he was actually a terrible footballer whose first touch was non existent. Loved him, but thought he was terrible at the same time, but appreciated he scared defenders with his frame and made the most of what he had.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:32 - Jan 10 with 6977 viewstractorshark

I imagine I’ll get plenty of stick for this but Ryan Fraser.
Yes he was quick and exciting but he was only exciting compared to what we’d had to put up with before.
I always felt Lawrence had the skill to beat someone, Fraser just had pace.
And often he would run down blind alleys and cul de sacs with little end product.
Plus he was so injury prone.
He’s done ok with Bournemouth but nothing I’ve seen so far has convinced me he’s better than Lawrence or a Premier League star as some on here would suggest.
I will concede he was better than Larsen Toure.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:35 - Jan 10 with 6945 viewsSuperfrans

Just out of interest, did you like Finidi George?

Based on your user name, I suspect you did. And yet he was probably one of the most talented players who has failed to match his talent with application from the past 20-30 years.

I love Didz, loved Dozzell, Lawrence and Bullard (at his peak for us) because they got me excited, up out of my seat and expecting something special.

I have a mild concern about Celina because of his great ability which is not matched by an ability to fully capitalise on it - his positioning when we're on the break and decision making generally in the final third are just too erratic. But I don't dislike or resent him at all.

The only "quality" players who I didn't share the general love for were Alan Lee, Darren Currie and Shefki - although I have subsequently learnt to recognise how great they were for us.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:43 - Jan 10 with 6918 viewsthorpedo

'Flying winger' Louie Donowa could do no wrong in my 10 year old eyes despite being, well, a bit rubbish. He had one storming game (v Newcastle I think) and then did nothing. I think the excitement of seeing someone take on a man was such a novelty under John Duncan that I overreacted!
On the other side, I appreciate that Jermaine Wright was a decent player, but never felt he was Premier league material.

Thorpedo

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:48 - Jan 10 with 6890 viewshomer_123

Michael Cole (going back quite a bit) was someone I was sure would turn into an Atkinson 'esq player.....I was very wrong.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:54 - Jan 10 with 6868 viewsPJH

Going back to the mid 1970's I told anyone that would listen that Pat Sharkey was going to be a hell of a player for us-he wasn't.
Although he did get one Northern Ireland cap so somebody else must have rated him too.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:56 - Jan 10 with 6867 viewsitfcjoe

Shefki for me, thought he was a great bloke but he was just technically poor to really enjoy.

I know he wasn't a crowd favourite in anywhere near the same way, but a similar view of Guirane N'Daw who barely looked as though he could kick a ball at times. He was just a big wardrobe in the middle of the pitch that offered no quality.

On the flip side, I really liked good technical players who weren't rated particularly highly like Owen Garvan, Sito, even someone like Gavin Williams who may not have been great players but always looked comfortable when in possession of the white round thing - which should be a pre-requisite for any professional footballer!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 15:01 - Jan 10 with 6830 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 14:56 - Jan 10 by itfcjoe

Shefki for me, thought he was a great bloke but he was just technically poor to really enjoy.

I know he wasn't a crowd favourite in anywhere near the same way, but a similar view of Guirane N'Daw who barely looked as though he could kick a ball at times. He was just a big wardrobe in the middle of the pitch that offered no quality.

On the flip side, I really liked good technical players who weren't rated particularly highly like Owen Garvan, Sito, even someone like Gavin Williams who may not have been great players but always looked comfortable when in possession of the white round thing - which should be a pre-requisite for any professional footballer!

Agree with all of those. I also really enjoyed watching Luongo when he was on loan.

I couldn't stand watching Nouble, Diallo and Santos who for me were very poor technically.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 15:06 - Jan 10 with 6803 viewsRobTheMonk

I loved Veliče Šumulikoski.

I'm convinced that Priskin could of been a footballing genius. I've got a shirt with his name and number on that regularly comes out when I play 5 a side.
Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 15:09 - Jan 10 with 6782 viewsrickw

I liked Bontcho Guentchev despite him only scoring 6 goals in 3 years here!

In my eyes he was an international star when he joined us, then 1st time I saw him I think she scored and overhead kick (maybe he didn't score it I can't remember, but it was brilliant in my 10 year old eyes), and then later cleared a corner in our penalty area with another overhead - legend! ;-)
[Post edited 10 Jan 2018 15:10]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 15:12 - Jan 10 with 6782 viewsitfcjoe

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 15:01 - Jan 10 by PrideOfTheEast

Agree with all of those. I also really enjoyed watching Luongo when he was on loan.

I couldn't stand watching Nouble, Diallo and Santos who for me were very poor technically.

I remember being exasperated watching us against Wolves at home with Luongo and N'Daw in the midfield - Luongo ended up losing the ball which lead to a goal but he was looking round constantly and no-one was showing for the ball with N'Daw the worst culprit.

This was just a few games after we'd passed Blackburn of the park with Luongo and Hyam in the midfield before Jewell threw the baby out with the bathwater after we got stuffed at Blackpool

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Town players where your opinion has contrasted their ability on 15:13 - Jan 10 with 6772 viewshoppy

Never rated Richard Naylor.

Shefki and Alan Lee similarly (hated Alan Lee’s song too)

And this may surprise some, but I really liked Tabby - and feel he should’ve been utilised during that last season with us as I think he would’ve certainly contributed more than a lot that got game time ahead of him.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024