Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone remember Matty Holland... 21:38 - Jan 11 with 3928 viewsBlueastheycome

Jogging the perimeter of the PR pitch with hands above his head clapping all 4 corners of the ground, win lose or draw, every single home game. Or is this some romanticised nostalgic memory from my youth that isn’t entirely accurate?
[Post edited 11 Jan 2019 21:39]
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:42 - Jan 11 with 3893 viewsWD19

Yeah, and loads of fans complained it was happy clappy nonsense and he was rubbish.

Jermaine Wright was rubbish to many too.

And Clapham.

And sideways Jim.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:42 - Jan 11 with 3898 viewsgtsb

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he go the whole season we were relegated without getting a yellow or red card. For a midfielder I find that unbelievable especially as we were scrapping for our lives.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:47 - Jan 11 with 3835 viewsLeagueOne

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:42 - Jan 11 by WD19

Yeah, and loads of fans complained it was happy clappy nonsense and he was rubbish.

And Clapham.

And sideways Jim.

"Geht that duuhnkeeey Murphy owwhhhff tha' pitch McCarthy"

GOAL for Ipswich Town, number 9, Daryl Murphy!

"..."

I miss 2014.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:47 - Jan 11 with 3835 viewsBlueastheycome

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:42 - Jan 11 by gtsb

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he go the whole season we were relegated without getting a yellow or red card. For a midfielder I find that unbelievable especially as we were scrapping for our lives.

Yes. And went x amount of crazy appearances too without missing a game.

Interesting that Charlton featured heavily in his playing days too but Ipswich seems to be his go to club affiliation in terms of affection. Ipswich through and through that man.

Cue posters blaming him for not wanting to leave earlier to save us from administration or something.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 22:39 - Jan 11 with 3655 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

And Clapham.

And sideways Jim.

Never ever got the the Jamma criticism.

I will never hear a bad word said about super Matt... ever. Absolute Legend in my eyes.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 22:41 - Jan 11 with 3644 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 22:39 - Jan 11 by TRUE_BLUE123

Never ever got the the Jamma criticism.

I will never hear a bad word said about super Matt... ever. Absolute Legend in my eyes.

He was ok, but no Tony Dinning.

(Thankfully)

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 22:42 - Jan 11 with 3638 viewsJakeITFC

As did Tommy Smith after every game.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 22:53 - Jan 11 with 3588 viewsjpring89

And Clapham.

And sideways Jim.

If Matt Holland was rubbish then I Dread to think what you could call any of our current first team.

Poll: What irritates you more ?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:09 - Jan 11 with 3542 viewsstonojnr

some might have argued that was one of the problems that season...not me though ;)

he was a good captain and leader on the pitch, one of the things Ive noticed lacking when we go a goal behind thesedays, Matty always used to twirl his arms in a come on we can do this/gee the players up for the restart mode didnt always work of course but you could see what he was trying to do
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:14 - Jan 11 with 3523 viewsgtsb

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:09 - Jan 11 by stonojnr

some might have argued that was one of the problems that season...not me though ;)

he was a good captain and leader on the pitch, one of the things Ive noticed lacking when we go a goal behind thesedays, Matty always used to twirl his arms in a come on we can do this/gee the players up for the restart mode didnt always work of course but you could see what he was trying to do

It was for me hence the reason I said. Don't get me wrong I'm not directly criticising the man, but we were so powderpuff that year that those stats prove it.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:14 - Jan 11 with 3521 viewsSomethingBlue

That is what you are going to take away from Matt Holland's Town career?!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:20 - Jan 11 with 3510 viewsgtsb

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:14 - Jan 11 by SomethingBlue

That is what you are going to take away from Matt Holland's Town career?!

No...that is what I think of that team that year.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:49 - Jan 11 with 3446 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 21:47 - Jan 11 by Blueastheycome

Yes. And went x amount of crazy appearances too without missing a game.

Interesting that Charlton featured heavily in his playing days too but Ipswich seems to be his go to club affiliation in terms of affection. Ipswich through and through that man.

Cue posters blaming him for not wanting to leave earlier to save us from administration or something.

If only there could have been some way he could have got the salary he was on with us and still have moved for a fee. Hey ho.

One other memory I have is of us being 2-0 up at Charlton on New Year's Day in that relegation season and Parker (I think it was) going in really hard on Holland (I think it was) and only getting a yellow. It lifted them, shook us, we lost 3-2 and never did enough to get out of trouble. I always thought that challenge and the ref's decision it wasn't a red went some way to sealing our fate. Maybe making more of it than it was but I felt that way.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 00:32 - Jan 12 with 3394 viewsjeera

Anyone remember?

It seems like 5 minutes ago.

How bloody old are some of you people!?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 00:45 - Jan 12 with 3379 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

And hence we won a best disciplinary record and qualified for Europe which ultimately fxcked up our season back in the championship with no promotion
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 06:53 - Jan 12 with 3221 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:14 - Jan 11 by gtsb

It was for me hence the reason I said. Don't get me wrong I'm not directly criticising the man, but we were so powderpuff that year that those stats prove it.

He didn’t get booked the year before either

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 07:00 - Jan 12 with 3214 viewswkj

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 06:53 - Jan 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

One of the amazing things about Holland was his timing and precision.

He made 202 appearances in the premier league
0 Red Cards, 2 Yellow Cards, 19 Fouls

I can't think of many times he got any before that either, I remember the first time I saw him get one, he looked genuinely distraught.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/aug/12/match.sport8

To echo many on here, the mere suggestion Matt Holland wasn't a great player for us is total rubbish

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 09:15 - Jan 12 with 3050 views3_5_2

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 23:49 - Jan 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

If only there could have been some way he could have got the salary he was on with us and still have moved for a fee. Hey ho.

One other memory I have is of us being 2-0 up at Charlton on New Year's Day in that relegation season and Parker (I think it was) going in really hard on Holland (I think it was) and only getting a yellow. It lifted them, shook us, we lost 3-2 and never did enough to get out of trouble. I always thought that challenge and the ref's decision it wasn't a red went some way to sealing our fate. Maybe making more of it than it was but I felt that way.

I was there that day, you are spot on 2 up via Marcus Bent and then he did that tackle

I remember seeing their player (was it Robinson?) him being interviewed after and saying the game was going away from them so he did it "to get the crowd going" which they did and we crumbled

Helped by some very nervous goalkeeping by Sereni, whose body language all game was that he didn't want to be there

Holland was a class act, on and off the pitch

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 10:11 - Jan 12 with 2989 viewsWD19

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 09:15 - Jan 12 by 3_5_2

I was there that day, you are spot on 2 up via Marcus Bent and then he did that tackle

I remember seeing their player (was it Robinson?) him being interviewed after and saying the game was going away from them so he did it "to get the crowd going" which they did and we crumbled

Helped by some very nervous goalkeeping by Sereni, whose body language all game was that he didn't want to be there

Robinson. Relegated us. Didn’t think it was on Holland though. Memory says Gaardsoe.

Edit. Match report below. On 8 minutes.

Charlton 3-2 Town 1st Jan 2002 17:59
Town fell to a first defeat in four games after going two goals up in four minutes. Marcus Bent scored both early goals before Charlton hit back through Robinson and Parker. In the second half Jason Euell hit the winner. 0

[Post edited 12 Jan 2019 10:18]
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 10:22 - Jan 12 with 2950 viewsHerbivore

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 09:15 - Jan 12 by 3_5_2

It was Robinson. On Soccer Saturday they were absolutely staggered it wasn't a straight red, it was an awful challenge. We were on a good run at the time, looking back that decision was absolutely huge for us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 10:30 - Jan 12 with 2931 viewsblueislander

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 06:53 - Jan 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

As an aged Town fan it rather shocked me that anyone should ask if we remember Matt Holland. If it had been Kenny Malcolm , I could understand it. Kenny was possibly the dirtiest player Town has had. There were no yellow and red cards in those days. The ref. would note down their name , which came to be known as a booking. If I remember rightly, two bookings in a match did not necessarily result in a sending off.
Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 10:31 - Jan 12 with 2930 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 00:45 - Jan 12 by BtreeBlueBlood

And hence we won a best disciplinary record and qualified for Europe which ultimately fxcked up our season back in the championship with no promotion

magic European away trips tho, imagine if Holland was a clogger we wouldn’t have our Goldfingers memories.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 10:37 - Jan 12 with 2912 viewsPJH

Anyone remember Matty Holland... on 10:30 - Jan 12 by blueislander

As an aged Town fan it rather shocked me that anyone should ask if we remember Matt Holland. If it had been Kenny Malcolm , I could understand it. Kenny was possibly the dirtiest player Town has had. There were no yellow and red cards in those days. The ref. would note down their name , which came to be known as a booking. If I remember rightly, two bookings in a match did not necessarily result in a sending off.

To get sent off back then it had to be beyond brutal.
When Derek Jefferson got sent off against Chelsea in 1968 he was only the third ITFC player ever sent off, other two were in 1937 and 1950.

Kenny Malcolm got injured in only our third match in 1961/62 and then never reappeared in the first team that season, I have got his autograph in the Rob Hadgraft Champions Of England book along with John Elsworthy, Ted Phillips and Ray Crawford though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024