Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output 14:17 - Jan 21 with 3114 viewsStokieBlue

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2230525-our-current-food-system-can-feed-on

So essentially, the current global food system can feed 3.4bn people sustainably. If we rework to 100% optimals which is clearly impossible then it could feed 10.2bn people sustainably. That includes a large shift away from eating meat.

In 2050 the projected world population is 10bn people. It's hard to argue that population growth isn't the single biggest issue the world faces but it also an incredibly hard one to discuss given the implications. One has to remember that it's not just food, energy requirements scale pretty linearly as well I would think.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 14:27 - Jan 21 with 2424 viewsLesta_Tractor

Need to reduce the global population by 50-60%, no idea how but that's the only way I can see the climate crisis being solved.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 14:38 - Jan 21 with 2405 viewsNthQldITFC

Every so often there seems to be a seedling of discussion about population levels in the mainstream media (well some of it), then somehow, shamefully it gets shut down.

Not sure whether there's a concerted effort to shut it down (by one or many of state/business/religion) or whether it's just that your average human is too scared/selfish/ignorant to engage.

I apologise in advance if I have used possibly inflammatory language or subjective assertions there, but I personally feel that it is THE big issue, that must be faced.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 14:53 - Jan 21 with 2377 viewsBackToRussia

What assumptions are being made? Is this organic or chemical agriculture?

I've heard that we already produce enough food to feed the world, but food wasteage, as well as the amount of food we grow to feed animals and so on, means many go hungry. I wonder if that is actually true.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:05 - Jan 21 with 2349 viewsStokieBlue

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 14:53 - Jan 21 by BackToRussia

What assumptions are being made? Is this organic or chemical agriculture?

I've heard that we already produce enough food to feed the world, but food wasteage, as well as the amount of food we grow to feed animals and so on, means many go hungry. I wonder if that is actually true.

I don't know the specific assumptions as you need to pay for the journal entry but you can read the abstract:

Global agriculture puts heavy pressure on planetary boundaries, posing the challenge to achieve future food security without compromising Earth system resilience. On the basis of process-detailed, spatially explicit representation of four interlinked planetary boundaries (biosphere integrity, land-system change, freshwater use, nitrogen flows) and agricultural systems in an internally consistent model framework, we here show that almost half of current global food production depends on planetary boundary transgressions. Hotspot regions, mainly in Asia, even face simultaneous transgression of multiple underlying local boundaries. If these boundaries were strictly respected, the present food system could provide a balanced diet (2,355 kcal per capita per day) for 3.4 billion people only. However, as we also demonstrate, transformation towards more sustainable production and consumption patterns could support 10.2 billion people within the planetary boundaries analysed. Key prerequisites are spatially redistributed cropland, improved water—nutrient management, food waste reduction and dietary changes.

The study already includes a shift away from meat and food wastage (final lines above). It's perfectly possible we do produce enough to feed everyone but the study is saying it's at unsustainable levels given the tipping points unless things are changed.

SB

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:11 - Jan 21 with 2345 viewsElephantintheRoom

The trouble with this doomsday scenario is that it is a tad overegged with assumptions made by guardian readers about people who don't necessarily shop at waitrose

SImilar doomdsday predictions were made back in the 60s - and despite the population in some countries expanding at a rate of knots ever since, the 'developed' countries still throw away more food in a day than most of africa could eat in a year of sunday lunches.

Chris Packham will no doubt raise the end of the world due to flaming infernos as a result of population increases in his chirpy tv documentary at the weekend.... doesnt alter the fact that most of fast-breeding africa produces about as much CO2 as the ladies of surrey in their school runs and waitrose trips - and driving to the recycling centre.

Cue the herbivore loon protesting that this is slightly exagerrated

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:12 - Jan 21 with 2340 viewsmonytowbray

I said all of this 3 years ago and was told I was wrong ;)

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:16 - Jan 21 with 2334 viewsmonytowbray

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:11 - Jan 21 by ElephantintheRoom

The trouble with this doomsday scenario is that it is a tad overegged with assumptions made by guardian readers about people who don't necessarily shop at waitrose

SImilar doomdsday predictions were made back in the 60s - and despite the population in some countries expanding at a rate of knots ever since, the 'developed' countries still throw away more food in a day than most of africa could eat in a year of sunday lunches.

Chris Packham will no doubt raise the end of the world due to flaming infernos as a result of population increases in his chirpy tv documentary at the weekend.... doesnt alter the fact that most of fast-breeding africa produces about as much CO2 as the ladies of surrey in their school runs and waitrose trips - and driving to the recycling centre.

So basically facts, experts, research and evidence mean nothing because you made up your own opinion.

ok boomer.

TWTD never forgets…

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:16 - Jan 21 with 2332 viewsStokieBlue

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:11 - Jan 21 by ElephantintheRoom

It's a climate study the from Potsdam Institute published in Nature. Not some Guardian nonsense as you claim.

Nigeria is predicted to have a larger population than the EU and twice that of the US by 2100 so not sure your African point is valid when extrapolated to the study - in fact it's important given the population limits implied in the study.

More bizarre stuff from you. Also it's bad form to call out other posters, especially when you are talking nonsense.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:18 - Jan 21 with 2323 viewsmonytowbray

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:16 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

It's a climate study the from Potsdam Institute published in Nature. Not some Guardian nonsense as you claim.

Nigeria is predicted to have a larger population than the EU and twice that of the US by 2100 so not sure your African point is valid when extrapolated to the study - in fact it's important given the population limits implied in the study.

More bizarre stuff from you. Also it's bad form to call out other posters, especially when you are talking nonsense.

SB

There’s a number of newish accounts that are very similar in this regard. Think it’s time Phil does some IP address checks.

TWTD never forgets…

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:21 - Jan 21 with 2320 viewsitfcjoe

I remember studying Malthusian theory in about Year 8, doesn't it mean that when population outstrips food supply that something will happen to cause them to re-align - a war, a famine, or anything else that results in lots of deaths

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:23 - Jan 21 with 2313 viewsmonytowbray

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:21 - Jan 21 by itfcjoe

I remember studying Malthusian theory in about Year 8, doesn't it mean that when population outstrips food supply that something will happen to cause them to re-align - a war, a famine, or anything else that results in lots of deaths

It's amazing IMO how ignorant we've become to our own existence as a species. Drinkable running water is something we could even run out of within the next 200 years if we don't chill out on usage which is literally terrifying, seeing as most people would be dead within 3-5 days in said event.

TWTD never forgets…

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 16:03 - Jan 21 with 2271 viewsphillymark

The solution is, without any doubt, female education and empowerment. The correlation between women's education levels and birth rates is undeniable. This solution also treads on no rights and also does a huge amount to alleviate poverty.

https://worldpopulationhistory.org/womens-status-and-fertility-rates/
This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 16:38 - Jan 21 with 2242 viewsOxford_Blue

Population growth is slowing - it’s half of what it was in 1962 and projected to have reduced to low levels by 2050.
This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 16:46 - Jan 21 with 2231 viewsHARRY10

Ah yes, just like climate change it is merely a figment of the metropolitan elite's imagination.

So need to do anything, but plenty of reason to pretend nothing is happening.
This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 17:12 - Jan 21 with 2201 viewsNthQldITFC

But have you not heard, 'This is not a time for pessy-ism...', says the bloke who's designed his hairpiece as a model for the next line of newcular aircraft carriers.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 17:54 - Jan 21 with 2173 viewsStokieBlue

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 16:38 - Jan 21 by Oxford_Blue

Population growth is slowing - it’s half of what it was in 1962 and projected to have reduced to low levels by 2050.

The population continues to increase even with a lower rate due to compounding so saying that the rate is half now is misleading given the higher base.

Given this it's an irrelevant point, the tipping point of 10bn will still be reached in 2050.

SB
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 18:05]

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:08 - Jan 21 with 2148 viewsjeera

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 16:46 - Jan 21 by HARRY10

Ah yes, just like climate change it is merely a figment of the metropolitan elite's imagination.

So need to do anything, but plenty of reason to pretend nothing is happening.

Climate Change eh?

Don't panic; Trump has got this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51189430

Feck, I hate him.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:11 - Jan 21 with 2135 viewsHerbivore

More edge than a hectogon you, buh.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:18 - Jan 21 with 2116 viewsHerbivore

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 15:16 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

SB

I don't think he liked the limerick I wrote for him earlier:

There once was a massive Edge Lord,
Whose shtick made us terribly bored,
He tried to be relevant,
By being an elephant,
But instead he was largely ignored.

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:38 - Jan 21 with 2096 viewsDubtractor

SB

He is possibly the worst poster on here. Against some stiff competition.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:40 - Jan 21 with 2088 viewsGeoffSentence

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 14:27 - Jan 21 by Lesta_Tractor

Need to reduce the global population by 50-60%, no idea how but that's the only way I can see the climate crisis being solved.

If everyone who believed in an afterlife agreed to sod off to it sharpish we'd all be fine. That they don't just shows how selfish they are.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:55 - Jan 21 with 2075 viewsjeera

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:38 - Jan 21 by Dubtractor

He is possibly the worst poster on here. Against some stiff competition.

I am sick of the wannabe trolls on here again at the moment.

There has always been an element of trolling, but traditionally it used to be accompanied by some humour and often an underlying truth. Some intelligence involved.

Recently the board has been repeatedly hijacked by idiots just saying stupid things in the hope of some attention.

Not referencing that particular poster, just in general.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 19:12]

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:57 - Jan 21 with 2071 viewsHerbivore

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:55 - Jan 21 by jeera

I am sick of the wannabe trolls on here again at the moment.

There has always been an element of trolling, but traditionally it used to be accompanied by some humour and often an underlying truth. Some intelligence involved.

Recently the board has been repeatedly hijacked by idiots just saying stupid things in the hope of some attention.

Not referencing that particular poster, just in general.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 19:12]

I mean, it's definitely applicable to that particular poster.

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 19:00 - Jan 21 with 2067 viewsjeera

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 18:57 - Jan 21 by Herbivore

I mean, it's definitely applicable to that particular poster.

I was sort of applying it to a few, possibly including, but like I say, not necessarily exclusive to...

This is pretty depressing with regards to global food output on 21:56 - Jan 21 with 1984 viewsOldsmoker

Seems that the China Coronavorus might reduce the population by a tad.
The USA has its first case in Seattle.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024