Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame 18:54 - Mar 1 with 3952 viewsunstableblue

Did a long walk in North Essex this morning, for a part of it I walked along a minor road for a couple of miles.

There was a drainage ditch and hedgerow to the side of most of the route. The hedgerow is currently without leaves and ditch was full.

The amount of rubbish/litter was staggering. Just a continuous mass of bottles, cans, bags, cartons. And in some laybys more serious fly tipping.

It just makes your heart sink that there are those in our society who have such a hideous mentality, that chucking rubbish out of a car window is somehow acceptable.

Who are these people?

Think it’s time to get a group together with some high vis and litter claws and hit it hard. Will take days and days.

Happiness is time with friends/family, watching Ipswich win, physical exercise, and most importantly the natural world interface, we’re really trying to feck up the latter it seems.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 18:57 - Mar 1 with 3685 viewsWD19

Littering should be a capital offence by WD19 17 Sep 2019 19:32
Bit of a random thread, but having just done the walk from Bletchley to Stadium MK I have seen enough litter to last a lifetime. It makes you weep to see just how much crap has been casually strewn everywhere. Not just a bit. Tonnes of the stuff.

OK, so some can be put down to wind and foxes, but the vast majority just has to be scummy folk dropping their litter. I just don’t understand it. What possesses someone to chuck a can or a packet or a bottle on the ground!?

Hang em all. Then cut them down and hang them again.

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:02 - Mar 1 with 3646 viewsazuremerlangus

We have thousands of people in need of fresh air costing the tax payer a small fortune already.

Get prisoners to do it.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2020 19:03]

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:06 - Mar 1 with 3618 viewsbrogansnose

Its endemic now. I do a lot of conservation work and the amount of time we spend just clearing up rubbish is ridiculous rather than environment enhancing projects.
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:26 - Mar 1 with 3542 viewsRadlett_blue

When I turn the corner out of my village high street, the pavement and hedgerow is usually awash with plastic bottles, cans and old cigarette packets. I can only assume that they are thrown out of car windows by morons as soon as they have turned out of the village. I am unable to comprehend the attitude of people who think this is what they should do with their rubbish, rather than take it home and put it in an appropriate bin.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2020 10:01]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:39 - Mar 1 with 3470 viewsfergalsharkey

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 18:57 - Mar 1 by WD19

Littering should be a capital offence by WD19 17 Sep 2019 19:32
Bit of a random thread, but having just done the walk from Bletchley to Stadium MK I have seen enough litter to last a lifetime. It makes you weep to see just how much crap has been casually strewn everywhere. Not just a bit. Tonnes of the stuff.

OK, so some can be put down to wind and foxes, but the vast majority just has to be scummy folk dropping their litter. I just don’t understand it. What possesses someone to chuck a can or a packet or a bottle on the ground!?

Hang em all. Then cut them down and hang them again.

And them gouge out their eyes and post them to their family.

Poll: Cook out?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:50 - Mar 1 with 3427 viewsunstableblue

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:26 - Mar 1 by Radlett_blue

When I turn the corner out of my village high street, the pavement and hedgerow is usually awash with plastic bottles, cans and old cigarette packets. I can only assume that they are thrown out of car windows by morons as soon as they have turned out of the village. I am unable to comprehend the attitude of people who think this is what they should do with their rubbish, rather than take it home and put it in an appropriate bin.

I’m like you I just can’t comprehend the mind set that says, ‘feck it I’ll just chuck this out of the window into this beautiful’?!

I’m a liberal, love, peace and harmony kinda person, but I do understand those that might have different views on immigration, or commerce over environment, but to wind down that window and chuck a load of never degradable stuff into a hedge row?! WTF?!

What kind of mind set? Are they doing it front of their kids?

Somehow normalising it?

My worry from earlier post, is the volume I witnessed was getting to the point that it was really going to take monumental effort to restore to its natural state. And this on not that busy a road.

It was great when I turned off on to public footpath, whose users frankly probably do give a sh!t and there was nothing, and it was beautiful once more.

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:57 - Mar 1 with 3397 viewsBloomBlue

Where I live wherever you go you see litter and most of it is McDonald's, KFC and general take away packaging surely those buying takeaways can find a rubbish bin.
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 20:02 - Mar 1 with 3369 viewsRyorry

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:50 - Mar 1 by unstableblue

I’m like you I just can’t comprehend the mind set that says, ‘feck it I’ll just chuck this out of the window into this beautiful’?!

I’m a liberal, love, peace and harmony kinda person, but I do understand those that might have different views on immigration, or commerce over environment, but to wind down that window and chuck a load of never degradable stuff into a hedge row?! WTF?!

What kind of mind set? Are they doing it front of their kids?

Somehow normalising it?

My worry from earlier post, is the volume I witnessed was getting to the point that it was really going to take monumental effort to restore to its natural state. And this on not that busy a road.

It was great when I turned off on to public footpath, whose users frankly probably do give a sh!t and there was nothing, and it was beautiful once more.

"Someone else will pick it up if they're bovvered" syndrome.

I think it's partly a disconnect not unlike road rage or keyboard warrioring in a strange kind of way. They're remote from a connection with the actual real life people living in that place, speeding through it as they do in their largely hermetically sealed (apart from the briefly wound down window) cars.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 20:06 - Mar 1 with 3354 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yep. Lazy selfish c0cks everywhere. For example, the amount of people who chuck cigarette butts out of their car window does my head in.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 20:07 - Mar 1 with 3348 viewsbrogansnose

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:26 - Mar 1 by Radlett_blue

I've had people talk to us and ask about what we're doing and say thankyou and what a wonderful and beautiful area it is. We go off and do our work and then come back and their picnic has been bagged up and thrown into the bushes.

Its just ignorance, whether its wilful or not is debateable.
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 20:53 - Mar 1 with 3224 viewsPlums

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:02 - Mar 1 by azuremerlangus

We have thousands of people in need of fresh air costing the tax payer a small fortune already.

Get prisoners to do it.

I have thought this for years. They can start with railway embankments, what an advert for anyone visiting this country

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 21:17 - Mar 1 with 3171 viewsnoggin

Why is fly tipping a thing? Do you have to pay to use a council dump?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 21:23 - Mar 1 with 3168 viewsjeera

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 21:17 - Mar 1 by noggin

I took photos of piles of crap which included a load of commercial sized paint containers.

This was recent years at West Stow, which is part of the old Kings Forest; lovely walks there, nice picnic settings etc and pretty much across the road from the Anglo Saxon village set-up.

Where to start with such a scummy mentality.

Whoever it was had been paid to do a job, took the money and was too tight to dispose of the remains properly.

We can drive ourselves crazy asking the whys but the bottom line is, some people are just low-life trash.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 21:38 - Mar 1 with 3117 viewsClapham_Junction

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 21:17 - Mar 1 by noggin

You do if it's trade waste (although many council dumps won't take it at all and expect businesses to use private companies like Sackers). Because there are plenty of tradespeople out there trying to abuse the system and not pay for their waste disposal, councils have had to bring in restrictions on how much of certain types of waste residents can bring to dumps at one time.

Many of the businesses near mine are breaking the law on waste disposal as they just dump it in the bins on the housing estates. I have caught one guy on several occasions and he's resorted to pretending he's carrying used boxes up to his flat if I happen to walk past has he's about to put it our block's bins.

I wish my local council had the funds to do employ people to do annual checks on businesses for stuff like this as I suspect they'd find most are not compliant. How you deal with the problematic tradespeople (who tend to be the ones dumping in streets) is a much more difficult question though.
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 23:04 - Mar 1 with 2973 viewsunstableblue

Builders and people with commercial waste are not supposed to use public tips and they’re now adding car reg plate recognition so people doing it on the sly are getting caught out.

A mate has a farm on Tendring peninsula, every week he’s gets multiple large scale fly tipping on his land

It’s a nightmare

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 23:12 - Mar 1 with 2949 viewsjeera

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 23:04 - Mar 1 by unstableblue

Builders and people with commercial waste are not supposed to use public tips and they’re now adding car reg plate recognition so people doing it on the sly are getting caught out.

A mate has a farm on Tendring peninsula, every week he’s gets multiple large scale fly tipping on his land

It’s a nightmare

This one had the right response:

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 23:15 - Mar 1 with 2942 viewsMelford

People on the gate to a massive field near me who leave dog sh!t bags hanging up.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 06:25 - Mar 2 with 2746 viewsTractorWood

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 21:23 - Mar 1 by jeera

I took photos of piles of crap which included a load of commercial sized paint containers.

This was recent years at West Stow, which is part of the old Kings Forest; lovely walks there, nice picnic settings etc and pretty much across the road from the Anglo Saxon village set-up.

Where to start with such a scummy mentality.

Whoever it was had been paid to do a job, took the money and was too tight to dispose of the remains properly.

We can drive ourselves crazy asking the whys but the bottom line is, some people are just low-life trash.

I run around this area a lot. It's absolutely beautiful.

The litter is really bad within 300 metres of the road but once you are in the forest it's clean and beautiful. I suspect because the lazy scum who litter can't manage more than 300 metres.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 07:28 - Mar 2 with 2648 viewsEly_Blue

And the chances are most of the people doing the littering are the younger generation of 18-25s who seem these days to have zero respect for anything or anyone

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 07:48 - Mar 2 with 2598 viewsHARRY10

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:02 - Mar 1 by azuremerlangus

Get prisoners to do it.

No, that is just silly as it actually encourages more littering on the basis they know it will be cleared and encourages a mindset of 'let them do something"

It also suggests that it is more litter picking that is the answer, not less littering.

It is a cultural change that is needed. A different mindset.
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 08:14 - Mar 2 with 2570 viewsLeaky

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 19:57 - Mar 1 by BloomBlue

Where I live wherever you go you see litter and most of it is McDonald's, KFC and general take away packaging surely those buying takeaways can find a rubbish bin.

We have the same problem in our village Kfc & MacDonolds. Why not charge people extra to take food out rather than as now, its cheaper to take food out. I do realise this is down to Vat.
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 08:15 - Mar 2 with 2566 viewswitchdoctor

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 23:12 - Mar 1 by jeera

This one had the right response:

brilliant....👍
English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 08:23 - Mar 2 with 2555 viewsHARRY10

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 08:15 - Mar 2 by witchdoctor

brilliant....👍

brilliant

as is this

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 09:23 - Mar 2 with 2498 viewsGeoffSentence

It's not just people who don't care, it is people who are simply careless.

Round my part of the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle a lot of the litter is from wheely bins getting blown over or else overfilled wheely bins getting blown open, and the contents getting scattered, literally, to the four winds.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 09:44 - Mar 2 with 2450 viewswitchdoctor

English countryside being ruined by a small minority.... such a shame on 08:23 - Mar 2 by HARRY10

brilliant

as is this

oh yeah...😊👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024