Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Practice pitch 15:58 - Mar 31 with 3386 viewsDinDjarin

Architects in today to start designing 3 storey building going up on practice pitch.

No pre match beers next season.
Practice pitch on 16:07 - Mar 31 with 3282 viewschrismakin

Any links with gamechanger 20 ltd?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Practice pitch on 16:11 - Mar 31 with 3298 viewsPhilTWTD

Community Trust Plans Community Hub at Portman Road 25th Mar 2021 09:39
The Ipswich Town Community Trust has announced plans for a new Community Hub at Portman Road, which will also see the Fieldturf replaced with a new 3G surface. 6

Practice pitch on 16:13 - Mar 31 with 3245 viewschrismakin

Practice pitch on 16:11 - Mar 31 by PhilTWTD

The Ipswich Town Community Trust has announced plans for a new Community Hub at Portman Road, which will also see the Fieldturf replaced with a new 3G surface. 6

That's looks awesome.

Shame tho. No outdoor fanzone space

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Practice pitch on 16:14 - Mar 31 with 3236 viewsGeorge03

Hopefully still can as it has a bar in there
Practice pitch on 16:15 - Mar 31 with 3229 viewsPhilTWTD

Practice pitch on 16:13 - Mar 31 by chrismakin

That's looks awesome.

I'm sure they'll find space for it, it's a big money-maker for them.
Practice pitch on 16:19 - Mar 31 with 3187 viewsDubtractor

Practice pitch on 16:15 - Mar 31 by PhilTWTD

I'm sure they'll find space for it, it's a big money-maker for them.

Just reading your article it refers to the new building as a community space, so probably enough room to stick a bar in once a fortnight and still use the practice pitch for people to mill about on I'd have thought.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Practice pitch on 16:24 - Mar 31 with 3155 viewsCoastalblue

Feels like only yesterday that practise pitch was installed.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Practice pitch on 16:26 - Mar 31 with 3133 viewsTieDyedIn95

Practice pitch on 16:24 - Mar 31 by Coastalblue

How long has it been there? Seems forever to me!

Football League First Division / Premier League Champions (1): 1961—62 - Runners-up (2): 1980—81, 1981—82 Football League Second Division / EFL Championship Champions (3): 1960—61, 1967—68, 1991—92 - Play-off winners (1): 1999—2000 Football League Third Division / EFL League One Champions (2): 1953—54, 1956—57 - Southern League Champions (1): 1936—37 FA Cup Winners (1): 1977—78 - Texaco Cup Winners (1): 1972—73 UEFA Cup / UEFA Europa League Winners (1): 1980—81
Poll: Would you attend a socially distanced training ground protest?

Login to get fewer ads

Practice pitch on 16:30 - Mar 31 with 3109 viewsCoastalblue

Practice pitch on 16:26 - Mar 31 by TieDyedIn95

Says 20 years ago on the graphic in Phil's article which would probably be about right. I remember all the bits of rubber caught in the bottom of my trainers all the time when it first went in.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Practice pitch on 16:31 - Mar 31 with 3091 viewsPhilTWTD

Practice pitch on 16:30 - Mar 31 by Coastalblue

Says 20 years ago on the graphic in Phil's article which would probably be about right. I remember all the bits of rubber caught in the bottom of my trainers all the time when it first went in.

I think it was about 1998.
Practice pitch on 16:35 - Mar 31 with 3081 viewsHullblue

Practice pitch on 16:11 - Mar 31 by PhilTWTD

Phil, do you remember the old indoor pitch at Portman Road? I think it was somehow inside the South Stand? Please tell me I haven't imagined this.

I think I played on it the day we beat Norwich 5-0. It was one of those community day things, and one of the best days of my life.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Practice pitch on 16:39 - Mar 31 with 3037 viewsWallingford_Boy

Practice pitch on 16:35 - Mar 31 by Hullblue

Phil, do you remember the old indoor pitch at Portman Road? I think it was somehow inside the South Stand? Please tell me I haven't imagined this.

I think I played on it the day we beat Norwich 5-0. It was one of those community day things, and one of the best days of my life.

Yep, at the left end of Churchmans near the car park, l played in there too around 1990.

Not sure when it was converted.

RIP Sir Bobby

Practice pitch on 16:40 - Mar 31 with 3024 viewsDubtractor

Practice pitch on 16:31 - Mar 31 by PhilTWTD

I think it was about 1998.

I thought the current pitch went in when we were in the premier league?

Suspect your memory is better than mine though!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Practice pitch on 16:41 - Mar 31 with 3014 viewsPhilTWTD

Practice pitch on 16:40 - Mar 31 by Dubtractor

I thought the current pitch went in when we were in the premier league?

Suspect your memory is better than mine though!

You might be right and I could be getting mixed up with something else, but around then anyway.
Practice pitch on 16:42 - Mar 31 with 2996 viewsPJH

The gym was/is in the South Stand. That was where we had to go to get playoff Final tickets in 2000. At least I assumed that it was the gym.
Practice pitch on 16:43 - Mar 31 with 2979 viewsPhilTWTD

Yes, I've played on it as well! I think it dates from the late seventies, think it was new when I went on a tour in about 1977. As the players aren't at the ground day to day it's not used now and some of it has had offices built into it and the rest is used for storage.

That sounds as brilliant a day as they come, incidentally!
Practice pitch on 16:44 - Mar 31 with 2973 viewschrismakin

Practice pitch on 16:42 - Mar 31 by PJH

The gym was/is in the South Stand. That was where we had to go to get playoff Final tickets in 2000. At least I assumed that it was the gym.

I was a ball boy in the late 90s and sometimes before games players used to go in there and play table football

Practice pitch on 16:44 - Mar 31 with 2966 viewsWallingford_Boy

Practice pitch on 16:42 - Mar 31 by PJH

Yes it was called the gym, had a mini astro pitch in there too.

RIP Sir Bobby

Practice pitch on 16:58 - Mar 31 with 2876 viewsHullblue

Practice pitch on 16:43 - Mar 31 by PhilTWTD

Yes, I've played on it as well! I think it dates from the late seventies, think it was new when I went on a tour in about 1977. As the players aren't at the ground day to day it's not used now and some of it has had offices built into it and the rest is used for storage.

That sounds as brilliant a day as they come, incidentally!

Ah I wish it was still there! They'd make a fortune booking it out.

As for that day, it gets better - the day before the game I met Alex Mathie and Taricco at WH Smiths for one of those signing things, and AM told me we'd win 5-0. Even had my picture with them in the paper, which felt like a huge deal.

Think I used up all my ITFC-related luck during my childhood, actually.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Practice pitch on 19:35 - Mar 31 with 2561 viewsBluespeed225

Practice pitch on 16:13 - Mar 31 by chrismakin

That's looks awesome.

They could wack up a tent for match days, Dove were running the bar? I’m glad the pitch remains, that’s where this Club was made great, memories of going down there as a kid to watch training close up, get autographs, plus, and do please correct me if I’m wrong, I always tell people that 1966 and all that began right there!
Practice pitch on 19:39 - Mar 31 with 2538 viewsmonty_radio

Practice pitch on 16:26 - Mar 31 by TieDyedIn95

Remember, as will others on here, going down to the practice pitch to watch them train before the Playford Rd set-up existed. You just wandered in and watched back then

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Practice pitch on 19:54 - Mar 31 with 2485 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Practice pitch on 19:39 - Mar 31 by monty_radio

Remember, as will others on here, going down to the practice pitch to watch them train before the Playford Rd set-up existed. You just wandered in and watched back then

Yep, got autographs as well; my first was Joe Davin!
Practice pitch on 20:06 - Mar 31 with 2435 viewsPhilTWTD

Practice pitch on 16:58 - Mar 31 by Hullblue

Ah I wish it was still there! They'd make a fortune booking it out.

As for that day, it gets better - the day before the game I met Alex Mathie and Taricco at WH Smiths for one of those signing things, and AM told me we'd win 5-0. Even had my picture with them in the paper, which felt like a huge deal.

Think I used up all my ITFC-related luck during my childhood, actually.

Sounds like you used it up that weekend!
Practice pitch on 20:45 - Mar 31 with 2241 viewstextbackup

Practice pitch on 16:24 - Mar 31 by Coastalblue

I remember playing a ‘friendly’ on there vs the ITFC stewards.... booted mick warden up in the air and he nearly cried. Felt good, won’t lie

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Practice pitch on 20:59 - Mar 31 with 2191 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

There's an under utilised turfed area inside the stadium that could be put to better use? Maybe that could be a new fanzone.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024