Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Cook 18:51 - Apr 10 with 2142 viewsWicksy

P9 W2 D4 L3 F6 A 9

Not exactly the stuff of dreams is it?

I'd assumed the wins against Hull, Doncaster and Accrington were because the players knew PL was on his way and were upping their game. Obviously wrong!

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

Paul Cook on 18:59 - Apr 10 with 1687 viewsMillsTash

I posted something similar after his first 5 games and got crucified for it/accused of trolling etc. The point I made and still questions is, what exactly has changed since Lambert went?
Paul Cook on 19:02 - Apr 10 with 1653 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Paul Cook on 18:59 - Apr 10 by MillsTash

I posted something similar after his first 5 games and got crucified for it/accused of trolling etc. The point I made and still questions is, what exactly has changed since Lambert went?

I've used the word 'underwhelming' and was criticised for it.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Paul Cook on 19:06 - Apr 10 with 1627 viewsOjc

Paul Cook on 19:02 - Apr 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

I've used the word 'underwhelming' and was criticised for it.

I said two weeks ago I’d rather had the Cowleys, I’m not convinced at all.
Paul Cook on 19:08 - Apr 10 with 1613 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Paul Cook on 19:06 - Apr 10 by Ojc

I said two weeks ago I’d rather had the Cowleys, I’m not convinced at all.

Cowleys would have been my first choice, but I was happy with Cook.

My main concern was an over reliance on 4-2-3-1, which I guess he would have to wait for next season to implement.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Paul Cook on 19:08 - Apr 10 with 1617 viewshomer_123

That performance should not come as a surprise. by homer_123 10 Apr 2021 17:15
Abject is an appropriate way to describe it.

No new manager bounce, no new owners bounce.

Devoid of confidence and ability.

For whatever reason, this team is, at best, going through the motions. It matters not that Downes, Dozzell, Nydam have potential....their confidence is shot. There is little for them to play to.

Cook hasn't been able to motivate even a modicum of anything extra out of this group. I'm struggling to see any real difference between now and 10 weeks ago.

In fact, there is a strong argument to say we are actually worse. Up front we've dried up completely. Thankfully we aren't playing anyone decent because if we were we'd be torn apart.

I know we need to give Cook the summer etc. but the worry for me here is that Cooks attempt at getting in the play offs looks awfully similar to Lamberts attempt at keeping us in the Championship.

I cannot believe Cook was brought in merely for 'next season'. We are missing out on the chance of promotion. Next season may not be better...we cannot assume we will have a better chance next year....yet looking at those two last performances we don't look like they care and Cook appears unable to galvanise them.

What a thoroughly depressing performance given the new owners coming in.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Paul Cook on 19:10 - Apr 10 with 1591 viewsMillsTash

Paul Cook on 19:08 - Apr 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

My main concern was an over reliance on 4-2-3-1, which I guess he would have to wait for next season to implement.

Exactly.

This constant reliance on a system that has worked elsewhere when he had the players for it was never going to work here when PL went with it and proved it was useless with the garbage we have. Surely an experienced manager should have played to what we have, albeit very limited 4-4-2.
Paul Cook on 19:11 - Apr 10 with 1574 viewsOjc

Paul Cook on 19:08 - Apr 10 by Marshalls_Mullet

Are we seeing the same issue with Cook as we did with Lambert and Cook needs Richardson ASAP from Wigan
Paul Cook on 19:12 - Apr 10 with 1542 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Paul Cook on 19:11 - Apr 10 by Ojc

Are we seeing the same issue with Cook as we did with Lambert and Cook needs Richardson ASAP from Wigan

Possibly.

Login to get fewer ads

Paul Cook on 19:12 - Apr 10 with 1537 viewshaynes_toe1

I've been called a bloody budgie for stating Cook hasn't improved anything on the pitch.

At least people are starting to accept that, albeit pretty late as normal.
Paul Cook on 19:14 - Apr 10 with 1503 viewsWD19

We haven’t got a total c-unit in the managers hot seat!?
Paul Cook on 19:14 - Apr 10 with 1507 viewsrgp1

Paul Cook on 19:12 - Apr 10 by haynes_toe1

I've been called a bloody budgie for stating Cook hasn't improved anything on the pitch.

I have stated on here before why is Pearson on short term at Brizzle? Is he coming here with the CEO?
Paul Cook on 19:18 - Apr 10 with 1471 viewsTractorFrog

I think we should give Cook until the end of the season, and a transfer window, before criticising him. Clearly he is a good manager; look at all the promotions he has had. The players' main problem seems to be their mental fragility at the moment; something that is not the fault of Cook, and is difficult to change in nine matches. Lambert was the boss for two years, so I still think it is down to him. I still firmly believe Paul Cook is the man to take us forward.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Paul Cook on 19:19 - Apr 10 with 1452 viewsSuperCoops

I think people need to realise that the issue is much bigger than the manager.

Yes, the players are not good enough by any stretch of the imagination. But the bigger issues are the mentality of the whole club as a whole, the ethos under the ME regime has allowed things to stagnate.

Hurst killed us with the signings he made, Lambert the same, but they are just part of the problem.

From Cook's point of view, he's limited with the players he has inherited and the mentality, along with the difficulties brought in by Covid.

The new owners coming in will hopefully make a difference and have funds for Cook to invest, but these changes are not going to happen overnight.

We now have the makings of a clean slate, and have what we need to make these wholesale changes and I hope from a playing point of view that the manager (whoever it would be) would be able to make changes.

But the damage to the operations and the attitude and direction of the club will take time to implement.

To me, this season is a dead duck. We're not good enough. But have a bit of patience as we now hopefully have the structure fitting into place that will bring positive change.

I don't think it's fair to judge Cook just yet, there's a lot of changes that need to be made and I would be against losing the majority of the first team squad and deadwood.
[Post edited 10 Apr 2021 19:20]
Paul Cook on 19:20 - Apr 10 with 1433 viewsOjc

Paul Cook on 19:18 - Apr 10 by TractorFrog

I think we should give Cook until the end of the season, and a transfer window, before criticising him. Clearly he is a good manager; look at all the promotions he has had. The players' main problem seems to be their mental fragility at the moment; something that is not the fault of Cook, and is difficult to change in nine matches. Lambert was the boss for two years, so I still think it is down to him. I still firmly believe Paul Cook is the man to take us forward.

Someone stated in another thread, we have a habit of giving these managers too much time and too many windows and nothing changes

Surely to god we aren’t going to make the same mistakes again
No, you've been called a budgie..... on 19:23 - Apr 10 with 1395 viewsBloots

Paul Cook on 19:12 - Apr 10 by haynes_toe1

....because every time they are mentioned, you pipe up and start defending them.

You've been doing it since you started posting on here.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Paul Cook on 19:27 - Apr 10 with 1345 viewsSwansea_Blue

Nothing's changed. But this lot can't score in a brothel so he will need a bit of time to get a few replacements in.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paul Cook on 19:27 - Apr 10 with 1344 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Paul Cook on 19:19 - Apr 10 by SuperCoops

Yes, the players are not good enough by any stretch of the imagination. But the bigger issues are the mentality of the whole club as a whole, the ethos under the ME regime has allowed things to stagnate.

Hurst killed us with the signings he made, Lambert the same, but they are just part of the problem.

From Cook's point of view, he's limited with the players he has inherited and the mentality, along with the difficulties brought in by Covid.

The new owners coming in will hopefully make a difference and have funds for Cook to invest, but these changes are not going to happen overnight.

We now have the makings of a clean slate, and have what we need to make these wholesale changes and I hope from a playing point of view that the manager (whoever it would be) would be able to make changes.

But the damage to the operations and the attitude and direction of the club will take time to implement.

To me, this season is a dead duck. We're not good enough. But have a bit of patience as we now hopefully have the structure fitting into place that will bring positive change.

I don't think it's fair to judge Cook just yet, there's a lot of changes that need to be made and I would be against losing the majority of the first team squad and deadwood.

I think most fans already accept this view.

Paul Cook on 19:28 - Apr 10 with 1319 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Paul Cook on 19:18 - Apr 10 by TractorFrog

As with PL, he's got a free pass.

But I think it's acceptable to say that his impact has been underwhelming.

Paul Cook on 19:31 - Apr 10 with 1298 viewsKieran_Knows

Paul Cook on 19:10 - Apr 10 by MillsTash

Exactly.

This constant reliance on a system that has worked elsewhere when he had the players for it was never going to work here when PL went with it and proved it was useless with the garbage we have. Surely an experienced manager should have played to what we have, albeit very limited 4-4-2.

I suppose the question is, what formation suits this group of players? People will argue 4-4-2 is, just because Norwood and Jackson played together for about 11 games last season, but even then Lambert stumbled upon that and it was hardly something that was worked on.

Don’t get me wrong, Cook hasn’t got going yet, and it is worrying. But from what I know (and I don’t care whether people believe it or not), but there is such a reluctance from this bunch of players to even remotely want to learn how Cook wants to play. Basic things like pressing, they’re not interested ... and from what I’m told, it’s not even because Cook is over complicating it. Simple instructions, which they’re just not taking on.

Proof will be in the pudding this summer I suspect.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Paul Cook on 19:36 - Apr 10 with 1272 viewsMillsTash

Paul Cook on 19:31 - Apr 10 by Kieran_Knows

I suppose the question is, what formation suits this group of players? People will argue 4-4-2 is, just because Norwood and Jackson played together for about 11 games last season, but even then Lambert stumbled upon that and it was hardly something that was worked on.

Don’t get me wrong, Cook hasn’t got going yet, and it is worrying. But from what I know (and I don’t care whether people believe it or not), but there is such a reluctance from this bunch of players to even remotely want to learn how Cook wants to play. Basic things like pressing, they’re not interested ... and from what I’m told, it’s not even because Cook is over complicating it. Simple instructions, which they’re just not taking on.

Should imagine there must be something in Jackson not being in the 18 today.
Paul Cook on 19:39 - Apr 10 with 1246 viewschrismakin

Against Hull, Donny and Accrington, we had Kenlock, Norwood and Bennetts
Much different than Ward, Edwards and Drinan

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Paul Cook on 19:46 - Apr 10 with 1219 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook on 19:31 - Apr 10 by Kieran_Knows

Paul, you can see it in the way they play, the best thing about I follow was being able to hear PC, and you could hear his instructions and see the failure to do it almost to the point of 'nah you're alright'

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Paul Cook on 19:53 - Apr 10 with 1200 viewsWicksy

Paul Cook on 19:19 - Apr 10 by SuperCoops

Under Evans I'd agree this season is a dead duck. If we were fortunate enough to get promoted the squad would need a complete overhaul in order to have any chance of staying in the Championship. There's no way Evans would have funded that.

However with the new owners they presumably would..?

The cars in the churchyard Were shiny and German Distinctly at odds with The theme of the sermon

Paul Cook on 19:57 - Apr 10 with 1174 viewswkj

It's too early to say on Cook, I stand by that. Not saying he is immune from criticism as bringing Sears on today as part of a 3 player switch was odd. I will still reserve the bulk of my Judgement for when he builds his club though.

As others have pointed out, he may well walk if the new owners are too hands on with the squad building - I hope not.

For right now though, there can be little doubt that the manager is working with some utterly clocked out players. That squad could have been strengthened in the winter had Evans not pissed about giving Lambert the vote of confidence. I genuinely think parts of this squad can be salvaged but needs some quality in key areas to bring them to their best.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Paul Cook on 20:00 - Apr 10 with 1156 viewschrismakin

Paul Cook on 19:57 - Apr 10 by wkj

It's too early to say on Cook, I stand by that. Not saying he is immune from criticism as bringing Sears on today as part of a 3 player switch was odd. I will still reserve the bulk of my Judgement for when he builds his club though.

As others have pointed out, he may well walk if the new owners are too hands on with the squad building - I hope not.

For right now though, there can be little doubt that the manager is working with some utterly clocked out players. That squad could have been strengthened in the winter had Evans not pissed about giving Lambert the vote of confidence. I genuinely think parts of this squad can be salvaged but needs some quality in key areas to bring them to their best.

Problem is WKJ, sears did more when he came on than Drinan as a striker.

And that's as bad as it is for us that our striking options are drinan and sears or deep forward hawkins

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024