Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid 08:28 - Jun 17 with 2667 viewsSomethingBlue

Arguments on both sides, sure, but given he sounded highly sceptical from the off it's fair to assume he's kiboshed this because it was Labour's idea. This guy should be bigging up the place he purports to represent, looking how it can really improve and make the most of itself. Instead he's happy to drag it down, sow division and ensure it never kicks on as it really could, without ever selling anyone a positive vision for the future. Get rid of this poisonous imposter.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 8:28]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 08:29 - Jun 17 with 2349 viewsKeno

Hunt by name and Hunt by nature

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 08:46 - Jun 17 with 2271 viewsbluelagos

Aside from TH - wondering what the advantages to being a city are? Does it come with added public funding?

Could/would we simply stay as Ipswich Town anyway? That would be my preference if the city status was ever achieved.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 08:47 - Jun 17 with 2264 viewspointofblue

More like the Conservatives have earmarked a certain place to get city status and have warned Hunt that we’d be rejected so he’s blocked it to save himself embarrassment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 08:50 - Jun 17 with 2240 viewsGeoffSentence

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 08:47 - Jun 17 by pointofblue

More like the Conservatives have earmarked a certain place to get city status and have warned Hunt that we’d be rejected so he’s blocked it to save himself embarrassment.

It will be somewhere Oop Narth to curry favour with former red wall voters.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:03 - Jun 17 with 2195 viewsSteve_M

I'm not totally convinced on the merits of city status but this is a good piece of boosterism for the town from Paul Geater:

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/ipswich-shoud-be-city-8058916

There are a hell of a lot of people in the town who like to put it down, it certainly has its faults but I'm not sure quite how much of the rest of the country these people have seen.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:06 - Jun 17 with 2155 viewsSomethingBlue

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:03 - Jun 17 by Steve_M

I'm not totally convinced on the merits of city status but this is a good piece of boosterism for the town from Paul Geater:

There are a hell of a lot of people in the town who like to put it down, it certainly has its faults but I'm not sure quite how much of the rest of the country these people have seen.

Good piece and nice to see a leading light in local media actually question Hunt. It's usually free column inches and dog-whistle rants so let's hope that changes.

Yes, and Hunt is pandering to that mentality. He appears to know that'll get him enough votes so sees no need to offer up anything forward-looking.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:06 - Jun 17 with 2151 viewsgtsb1966

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:03 - Jun 17 by Steve_M

You are right about people putting it down. I was listening to the Mark Murphy show on Tuesday morning and many people who live there were texting in saying how it's a dump, shabby etc etc. Their words not mine and they are residents.
I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:11 - Jun 17 with 2116 viewshype313

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 08:46 - Jun 17 by bluelagos

Aside from TH - wondering what the advantages to being a city are? Does it come with added public funding?

Could/would we simply stay as Ipswich Town anyway? That would be my preference if the city status was ever achieved.

Think Swansea were known as Swansea Town before getting City status and then changed their name, but that was in 1969.

Even if we were to get City status, can't see much appetite from the fans or club to change it it to ICFC.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:20 - Jun 17 with 2075 viewsChiefXL

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:11 - Jun 17 by hype313

Think Swansea were known as Swansea Town before getting City status and then changed their name, but that was in 1969.

Even if we were to get City status, can't see much appetite from the fans or club to change it it to ICFC.

The club has repeatedly said in the past they would retain the name Ipswich Town.
I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:22 - Jun 17 with 2043 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:20 - Jun 17 by ChiefXL

The club has repeatedly said in the past they would retain the name Ipswich Town.

The club also has new owners now

Moot discussion for now as the application has been shelved but I’d be surprised if an American ownership group that are looking to drive as much revenue as possible wouldn’t be keen, tbh

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:26 - Jun 17 with 2025 viewsSteve_M

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:06 - Jun 17 by gtsb1966

You are right about people putting it down. I was listening to the Mark Murphy show on Tuesday morning and many people who live there were texting in saying how it's a dump, shabby etc etc. Their words not mine and they are residents.

To my mind the biggest problem is the hollowed out town centre but that's not a situation unique to Ipswich, the combination of online shopping, out of town retail parks plus Westfield being an hour away are the chief causes.

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:27 - Jun 17 with 2004 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:22 - Jun 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

The club also has new owners now

Moot discussion for now as the application has been shelved but I’d be surprised if an American ownership group that are looking to drive as much revenue as possible wouldn’t be keen, tbh

I wouldn't want us to become 'Ipswich City'. For one thing it doesn't roll easily off the tongue. But 'Ipswich Rising' would be far worse.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:28 - Jun 17 with 1998 viewshype313

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:26 - Jun 17 by Steve_M

To my mind the biggest problem is the hollowed out town centre but that's not a situation unique to Ipswich, the combination of online shopping, out of town retail parks plus Westfield being an hour away are the chief causes.

Indeed, I think people get blinded in isolation to this problem because they only see "their" town.

High streets up and down the country are being decimated by online and out of town retail parks, it's not unique to Ipswich.

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:42 - Jun 17 with 1927 viewsSteve_M

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:28 - Jun 17 by hype313

Indeed, I think people get blinded in isolation to this problem because they only see "their" town.

High streets up and down the country are being decimated by online and out of town retail parks, it's not unique to Ipswich.

Indeed, add that to dewy-eyed nostalgia and groupthink and it all gets negative quite quickly. The Ipswich Remembered Facebook group is a classic exemplar but there's still the occasional gem to make wading through the crap worthwhile.

I should also have added that Ipswich is far better for restaurants and nice pubs than it was when I was growing up too. That's part of a national trend too but one that the town is better for,

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:43 - Jun 17 with 1888 viewsbluelagos

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:27 - Jun 17 by Tangledupin_Blue

I wouldn't want us to become 'Ipswich City'. For one thing it doesn't roll easily off the tongue. But 'Ipswich Rising' would be far worse.

You just ruined my mood. Now I am going to be thinking about that all sodding morning!

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:48 - Jun 17 with 1852 viewsfactual_blue

A city is entitled to have an elected mayor. He doesn't want the possibility of Labour Party mayor sticking up for the decent people of Ipswich.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:50 - Jun 17 with 1822 viewshype313

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:42 - Jun 17 by Steve_M

Indeed, add that to dewy-eyed nostalgia and groupthink and it all gets negative quite quickly. The Ipswich Remembered Facebook group is a classic exemplar but there's still the occasional gem to make wading through the crap worthwhile.

I should also have added that Ipswich is far better for restaurants and nice pubs than it was when I was growing up too. That's part of a national trend too but one that the town is better for,

Infinitely better restaurants, think we had Clowns, Marnos and Pizzaland as the choice when I was growing up.

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 13:06 - Jun 17 with 1584 viewsClapham_Junction

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 09:48 - Jun 17 by factual_blue

A city is entitled to have an elected mayor. He doesn't want the possibility of Labour Party mayor sticking up for the decent people of Ipswich.

As far as I'm aware, all types of local government districts above parish/town councils are able to have elected mayors. Non-cities that have them include Bedford, Doncaster, Mansfield, Tower Hamlets and Watford.
I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:27 - Jun 17 with 1489 viewsOldsmoker

Fun fact - London doesn't have city status.

It's known as Greater London and is divided into boroughs.
There are 2 cities within Greater London, City of London* and City of Westminster but their land area is tiny compared to proper cities up north.

..and before you all kick off, yes there is a London City airport but it's not in the City of London, it's in Newham.

* The Square mile/City of London is not called London City.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:29 - Jun 17 with 1481 viewsorwellahead

www.orwellahead.co.uk/ipswich-city-status - 20 reasons why Ipswich can and must win city status

We are a small Ipswich based group, campaigning for greater authority, ambition and representation for IPSWICH in local government, New Anglia LEP (which determines the focus of economic development in Suffolk & Norfolk) and local media. Ipswich should not be in the shadows of Norwich and Cambridge. We are an equal. We are Suffolk’s regional centre. A strong Ipswich means a stronger Suffolk. We cannot hope to win government investment, third party investment, lottery funding, LEP focus and funding for highways and economic development unless we are equipped with the same tools and status.

The greater Ipswich area is the catalyst for two-thirds of Suffolk's GVA (£8bn p.a) and provides the infrastructure & services for one-third of Suffolk's population. Yet, since a catastrophic local government restructure in 1974 Ipswich has been "Suffolkated" with the rural Suffolk cart leading the urban Ipswich horse.

As a former County-Borough, for 774 years Ipswich had full control over both borough and county aspects of local government. Ipswich had authority, a sense of place and pride. Today, most decisions for urban Ipswich at county level now comes from rural Suffolk decision makers (non-stake holders in Ipswich). Beyond borough boundaries (last set in 1835) all Ipswich's growth is controlled by, and benefits, rural Suffolk districts who never reinvest into the centre that sustains it all. Our economic and media representation comes from Norwich-centric organisations (Archant, BBC, New Anglia LEP).

Back to football. In our view, the club and town are inextricably linked. We are supporters of Ipswich Town FC and Ipswich as a place, we all should aspire for both to be "premier league".
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 14:31]
I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:32 - Jun 17 with 1464 viewsbournemouthblue

He's essentially gone against the supposed mission statement when he first came in being a Champion of the Town etc

Chelmsford managed to get city status in 2012, Chelmsford FFS!

Surely, we would have a chance, even if it's a small one?

Hopefully Hunt loses his seat at the next election and is sent back to where he comes from or at least, I'm sure that's how he would frame it himself, the little flag loving culture war agitating shyster he is

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:34 - Jun 17 with 1456 viewsLord_Lucan

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 13:06 - Jun 17 by Clapham_Junction

As far as I'm aware, all types of local government districts above parish/town councils are able to have elected mayors. Non-cities that have them include Bedford, Doncaster, Mansfield, Tower Hamlets and Watford.

Yes, our current Mayor is Elizabeth Hughes

Some years back my mates mum and former school teacher of the current Lady Lucan was mayor - Mrs Joan Cubbin (RIP)

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:54 - Jun 17 with 1401 viewsOldsmoker

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:29 - Jun 17 by orwellahead

www.orwellahead.co.uk/ipswich-city-status - 20 reasons why Ipswich can and must win city status

We are a small Ipswich based group, campaigning for greater authority, ambition and representation for IPSWICH in local government, New Anglia LEP (which determines the focus of economic development in Suffolk & Norfolk) and local media. Ipswich should not be in the shadows of Norwich and Cambridge. We are an equal. We are Suffolk’s regional centre. A strong Ipswich means a stronger Suffolk. We cannot hope to win government investment, third party investment, lottery funding, LEP focus and funding for highways and economic development unless we are equipped with the same tools and status.

The greater Ipswich area is the catalyst for two-thirds of Suffolk's GVA (£8bn p.a) and provides the infrastructure & services for one-third of Suffolk's population. Yet, since a catastrophic local government restructure in 1974 Ipswich has been "Suffolkated" with the rural Suffolk cart leading the urban Ipswich horse.

As a former County-Borough, for 774 years Ipswich had full control over both borough and county aspects of local government. Ipswich had authority, a sense of place and pride. Today, most decisions for urban Ipswich at county level now comes from rural Suffolk decision makers (non-stake holders in Ipswich). Beyond borough boundaries (last set in 1835) all Ipswich's growth is controlled by, and benefits, rural Suffolk districts who never reinvest into the centre that sustains it all. Our economic and media representation comes from Norwich-centric organisations (Archant, BBC, New Anglia LEP).

Back to football. In our view, the club and town are inextricably linked. We are supporters of Ipswich Town FC and Ipswich as a place, we all should aspire for both to be "premier league".
[Post edited 17 Jun 2021 14:31]

Ipswich is not the only urban centre that suffers from the 'rurals' taking from but not giving back.
Bristol and its surroundings were governed by Avon, a combined authority, which made sense because of the size of the connurbation but was just a bitch-fest in council meetings because Bristol was the main player. This is what will probably happen if Ipswich captured the surrounding rural areas.

Avon was dissolved into City of Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Bath & NE Somerset.
The City of Bristol has the museums, libraries, sports centres, hospitals, dentists, clubs, music venues and all the stuff that needs local government funds to run them.
The other councils are commuter zones with little services and benefit from their council tax being 75% of what Bristol residents have to pay.
There's no room in the City of Bristol to expand so all new factories/warehouses/out-of-town shopping centres get built in the rural councils.
City of Bristol = Labour.
Others = Tories / Lib dems.

Change may solve some of the old problems but invariably creates new ones.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 18:22 - Jun 17 with 1280 viewsClapham_Junction

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 14:34 - Jun 17 by Lord_Lucan

Yes, our current Mayor is Elizabeth Hughes

Some years back my mates mum and former school teacher of the current Lady Lucan was mayor - Mrs Joan Cubbin (RIP)

This is a ceremonial mayor rather than an elected one though. I think all districts with borough status have them.
I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 18:35 - Jun 17 with 1254 viewsLord_Lucan

I note Tom Hunt has blocked Ipswich's own city status bid on 18:22 - Jun 17 by Clapham_Junction

This is a ceremonial mayor rather than an elected one though. I think all districts with borough status have them.

Apologies, I never actually read the thread.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024