Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. 05:35 - Jun 18 with 1968 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Chesham and Amersham has been won by Libdems with a majority of about 8,000. In the last GE the Conservatives won it with 16,000 majority.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2021 5:40]

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 05:55 - Jun 18 with 1579 viewssolomon

A very good result for the LD’s. Just goes to show the Tories are not quite as invincible as some would like you to believe.
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 06:59 - Jun 18 with 1499 viewsKeno

Cue old fashioned chant

The Lib-Dems are back
The Lib-Dems are back
hello hello

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 07:13 - Jun 18 with 1460 viewsRegencyBlue

Protest vote against HS2, nothing more, nothing less!
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 07:38 - Jun 18 with 1418 viewsSteve_M

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 07:13 - Jun 18 by RegencyBlue

It certainly is a protest vote against HS2, not sure anyone can claim that's all it is on the back of voting trends in the South of England.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 07:42 - Jun 18 with 1413 viewsBlueBoots

From the Guardian report on the Byelection result...

"Lib Dem activists on the ground had insisted the race for the seat looked “neck and neck”, with former Tory voters on the doorsteps complaining they felt neglected by the governing party.

The Lib Dems said the government’s proposed planning reforms had also featured heavily in the campaign."

Like many byelections, looks a result driven by local rather than national issues...has a whiff of Tories that voted LibDem because they were told lots of new houses are going to built in their area and there's very little they can do about it (under the new planning reforms)

"they felt neglected by the governing party"? Can see the LibDems doing well throughout the Home Counties in any future elections / byelections if they continue to prey on the fears of the NIMBY vote...

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:41 - Jun 18 with 1223 viewsSaigonTractor

I wish I could be excited by this, but it's a NIMBY protest vote. So not particularly progressive.

Though I guess it's marginally better than the Tories. I think the bigger story is how terribly Labour did.
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:42 - Jun 18 with 1216 viewschicoazul

That’s what I think. And Labours vote collapsed.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:43 - Jun 18 with 1212 viewsWD19

When does the new MP take their turn as Lib Dem leader?
Login to get fewer ads

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:44 - Jun 18 with 1203 viewsElderGrizzly

Tory candidate was a bit grumpy. Not his fault etc...

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:44 - Jun 18 with 1196 viewsbelgablue

A vote for Nimbyism!

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:45 - Jun 18 with 1191 viewsMattinLondon

HS2 is going ahead so that protest vote won’t amount to that much.
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:47 - Jun 18 with 1182 viewsPinewoodblue

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 07:42 - Jun 18 by BlueBoots

From the Guardian report on the Byelection result...

"Lib Dem activists on the ground had insisted the race for the seat looked “neck and neck”, with former Tory voters on the doorsteps complaining they felt neglected by the governing party.

The Lib Dems said the government’s proposed planning reforms had also featured heavily in the campaign."

Like many byelections, looks a result driven by local rather than national issues...has a whiff of Tories that voted LibDem because they were told lots of new houses are going to built in their area and there's very little they can do about it (under the new planning reforms)

"they felt neglected by the governing party"? Can see the LibDems doing well throughout the Home Counties in any future elections / byelections if they continue to prey on the fears of the NIMBY vote...

Think it is a one off. What is surprising is how poorly the Labour candidate did. As recently as 2017 Labour were second in the poll with over 11,000 votes yesterday just 622 of the faithful voted Labour.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:51 - Jun 18 with 1155 viewstractordownsouth

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:47 - Jun 18 by Pinewoodblue

Think it is a one off. What is surprising is how poorly the Labour candidate did. As recently as 2017 Labour were second in the poll with over 11,000 votes yesterday just 622 of the faithful voted Labour.

This isn't aimed at you but I find it funny how the people who have been calling for a progressive alliance are the same ones saying how awful it is that Labour lost its deposit because its supporters tactically voted Lib Dems.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:53 - Jun 18 with 1135 viewsBloomBlue

They are more annoyed about the new proposed planning rules, as much as HS2, which will make house building easier with less control from local people, lots of protests in Amersham especially about it. They don't like the idea of loads of new housing destroying their countryside .

Although it's actually what I like about by-elections it's often about what's important locally (even if you disagree with it) and that should be the same for GE's you vote for the person who will benefit/champion you locally about local issues but at GEs that goes out of the window
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:55 - Jun 18 with 1109 viewsPinewoodblue

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:51 - Jun 18 by tractordownsouth

This isn't aimed at you but I find it funny how the people who have been calling for a progressive alliance are the same ones saying how awful it is that Labour lost its deposit because its supporters tactically voted Lib Dems.

Turnout was down 20%…they stayed at home. Think you will find it was people who have always voted Conservative that made the difference.

In much the same way Labour voters switched in Hartlepool.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:00 - Jun 18 with 1081 viewsElderGrizzly

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:53 - Jun 18 by BloomBlue

They are more annoyed about the new proposed planning rules, as much as HS2, which will make house building easier with less control from local people, lots of protests in Amersham especially about it. They don't like the idea of loads of new housing destroying their countryside .

Although it's actually what I like about by-elections it's often about what's important locally (even if you disagree with it) and that should be the same for GE's you vote for the person who will benefit/champion you locally about local issues but at GEs that goes out of the window

Agree. Here is East Cambs they continually vote for a Tory because she is a Tory in a General Election.

Lucy Frazer still lives in London and votes against local interests time and time again.

Yet at local level, Lib Dems and Labour run District Councils etc
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:00 - Jun 18 with 1078 viewsbournemouthblue

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:55 - Jun 18 by Pinewoodblue

Turnout was down 20%…they stayed at home. Think you will find it was people who have always voted Conservative that made the difference.

In much the same way Labour voters switched in Hartlepool.

Did Labour voters switch in Hartlepool or did the Brexit Party simply not stand?

I've always consider UKIP/Brexit/Whatever they are called now as a splinter group of the Tory Party

The ERG in many ways were an extended branch of that within the Tory Party as well

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:01 - Jun 18 with 1067 views26_Paz

I’m hearing Labour may have got fewer votes than they have members in the area

The Paz Man

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:03 - Jun 18 with 1052 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:00 - Jun 18 by bournemouthblue

Did Labour voters switch in Hartlepool or did the Brexit Party simply not stand?

I've always consider UKIP/Brexit/Whatever they are called now as a splinter group of the Tory Party

The ERG in many ways were an extended branch of that within the Tory Party as well

The Tories gained c4k votes in the 2021 by-election, Labour lost 7k…

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:07 - Jun 18 with 1029 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

The changes to planning/house building is going to cost them a lot of votes in the home counties.

Lib Dems are the only ones who can challenge for many of the seats (including where I live). If they can get their act together, they can do well out of this.
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:07 - Jun 18 with 1027 viewsWD19

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:01 - Jun 18 by 26_Paz

I’m hearing Labour may have got fewer votes than they have members in the area

Have you heard if we are going to sign anyone today?
Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:11 - Jun 18 with 1004 views26_Paz

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:07 - Jun 18 by WD19

Have you heard if we are going to sign anyone today?

A couple of big ones imminent. Chap called Ronaldo, getting on a bit but still got goals in him

The Paz Man

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:20 - Jun 18 with 977 viewspositivity

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 09:51 - Jun 18 by tractordownsouth

i think it shows the massive potential of a progressive alliance.

i know it's simplistic and there's a load of other factors, but 8106 votes switched from labour and the greens. lib dems won by 8028.

imagine what could happen if this was planned and not dependent on voters being tactical

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:32 - Jun 18 with 936 viewstractordownsouth

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:20 - Jun 18 by positivity

i think it shows the massive potential of a progressive alliance.

i know it's simplistic and there's a load of other factors, but 8106 votes switched from labour and the greens. lib dems won by 8028.

imagine what could happen if this was planned and not dependent on voters being tactical

I don’t think there should be a full alliance with only 1 non-Tory candidate in each area because a lot of Liberals won’t vote Labour and vice versa. However I think running skeleton campaigns with no resources to allow the other party a better shot is workable.

The seat will likely go Tory again at the next election but it’s good to see this result nonetheless. As for Labour, Batley and Spen is the big test. Tory-voting racist George Galloway has gone up there to try and stir religious tensions as usual but hopefully he’ll be told where to go by the voters.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:39 - Jun 18 with 905 viewspositivity

Libdems Stunning By-Election Victory. on 10:32 - Jun 18 by tractordownsouth

I don’t think there should be a full alliance with only 1 non-Tory candidate in each area because a lot of Liberals won’t vote Labour and vice versa. However I think running skeleton campaigns with no resources to allow the other party a better shot is workable.

The seat will likely go Tory again at the next election but it’s good to see this result nonetheless. As for Labour, Batley and Spen is the big test. Tory-voting racist George Galloway has gone up there to try and stir religious tensions as usual but hopefully he’ll be told where to go by the voters.

i agree a full alliance isn't going to work, but a more targetted case-based approach could be very effective.

would need central organisation which seems very unlikely, but wish they could get over themselves and get it done

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024