Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Obsession to keep Downes 14:55 - Jun 26 with 2641 viewsalfie2002

I don’t understand it, people are saying he shows fight that others don’t, didn’t see any fight, professionalism or quality last season.
Obsession to keep Downes on 14:59 - Jun 26 with 2064 viewsCoco

He wants to go so there really is no argument.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Obsession to keep Downes on 14:59 - Jun 26 with 2062 viewsgtsb1966

The more players we bring in of the quality we have so far will mean the less people will care. It's starting to look like we mean business.
Obsession to keep Downes on 15:10 - Jun 26 with 1985 viewsArnieM

I really wouldn’t bother with him . He’s not had his heart in Town for a season now. Had his head turned by big bucks and thoughts of playing in PL ( which doubt will happen ) ……. Cheerio 👋. I note he’s not in the 1st team training sessions yet. Speaks volumes to me tbh, does that .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:15 - Jun 26 with 1947 viewsChurchman

I’d love to see him stay, commit and have a full on, good season. However, if he wants away, the sooner he moves on the better.
Obsession to keep Downes on 15:15 - Jun 26 with 1943 viewsWD19

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:10 - Jun 26 by ArnieM

I really wouldn’t bother with him . He’s not had his heart in Town for a season now. Had his head turned by big bucks and thoughts of playing in PL ( which doubt will happen ) ……. Cheerio 👋. I note he’s not in the 1st team training sessions yet. Speaks volumes to me tbh, does that .

It’s much easier for him to start with a clean slate elsewhere than it is to turn things around and prove people wrong where he is. I suspect he favours the easier option.
Obsession to keep Downes on 15:31 - Jun 26 with 1856 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:15 - Jun 26 by WD19

It’s much easier for him to start with a clean slate elsewhere than it is to turn things around and prove people wrong where he is. I suspect he favours the easier option.

He doesn't have anything to prove at ITFC.

It would just need him to commit to staying.

If he want away, fair enough.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:41 - Jun 26 with 1804 viewsjonbull88

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:31 - Jun 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

He doesn't have anything to prove at ITFC.

It would just need him to commit to staying.

If he want away, fair enough.

I actually think he 100% needs to prove himself at Ipswich. The team as a whole has been pretty shocking for the last few years, with the bar for how good players have been has been set very low IMO. He had a half decent season in 19/20, yet the bar was low and last season for me he wasn’t much above bang average (that’s my option though and everyone else can have their own). He can be premiership quality, is he now? For me, no, I think he will just about make a championship squad.
Obsession to keep Downes on 15:43 - Jun 26 with 1781 viewsjas0999

As others state, he wants to go and frankly suffered from injuries last season. Form wasn’t great either.
Login to get fewer ads

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:45 - Jun 26 with 1758 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:41 - Jun 26 by jonbull88

I actually think he 100% needs to prove himself at Ipswich. The team as a whole has been pretty shocking for the last few years, with the bar for how good players have been has been set very low IMO. He had a half decent season in 19/20, yet the bar was low and last season for me he wasn’t much above bang average (that’s my option though and everyone else can have their own). He can be premiership quality, is he now? For me, no, I think he will just about make a championship squad.

No one said he's a premier league player.

You've said he's a championship player.

...I said he's got nothing to prove at Ipswich. He's clearly good enough for League 1.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:48 - Jun 26 with 1747 viewsFixed_It

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:41 - Jun 26 by jonbull88

Harsh. He had his head turned at the start of the season, then had a bad injury and then got suspended. Very much a stop start season for him. If he commits himself to the cause then he is plenty good enough to enhance our squad. But if he wants to go elsewhere, then he needs to go.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:03 - Jun 26 with 1657 viewsKeaneish

He’s a quality footballer; I’m half expecting him to be promoted to the first team soon too.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:05 - Jun 26 with 1649 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:03 - Jun 26 by Keaneish

He’s a quality footballer; I’m half expecting him to be promoted to the first team soon too.

If a half decent Champ club doesn't come in for him he may as well stay for another year.

I don't expect him to stay, but there's an outside chance that he won't get a move that appeals to him.

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:10 - Jun 26 with 1634 viewsVic

I’m not sure anyone has an obsession, but I for one thought/think he has potential given the start he made here at Town. Everyone was speaking highly of him and he was called up and played for the England U21. The fact that Palace came in for him speaks volumes. I think all that justified us being hopeful.

Last season was distinct dip and at times he tried too hard. Will he kick on again? From what I’ve seen I think the potential is still there and would have liked to see him given the chance to fulfill it here. However, a combination of him wanting to move and, I presume, a lack of response to the new manager, means that his future looks likely to be elsewhere.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of hi:.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:13 - Jun 26 with 1606 viewsJ2BLUE

Don't really care now to be honest. IF he does want out and someone pays a reasonable fee I won't lose any sleep over it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:17 - Jun 26 with 1574 viewsWD19

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:05 - Jun 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

If a half decent Champ club doesn't come in for him he may as well stay for another year.

I don't expect him to stay, but there's an outside chance that he won't get a move that appeals to him.

Can you explain to me in words of one syllable why Paul Cook would want someone who is in a ‘might as well stay for one season’ headspace in his first team squad!? I think it is that sort of halfarsed attitude that has likely turned Cook off him in the first place.
Obsession to keep Downes on 16:17 - Jun 26 with 1570 viewsPique

Obsession to keep Downes on 14:59 - Jun 26 by Coco

He wants to go so there really is no argument.

Do we actually know that he wants to go? We know he definitely had his head turned by Palace a year ago and wanted to go at that point, but that’s unlikely to happen this summer. Has it actually been suggested/rumoured/confirmed anywhere that he wants out of Ipswich at this moment in time rather than knuckle down and be a part of Cook’s project?

Just curious really, apologies if I’ve missed it.
Obsession to keep Downes on 16:24 - Jun 26 with 1521 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:17 - Jun 26 by WD19

Can you explain to me in words of one syllable why Paul Cook would want someone who is in a ‘might as well stay for one season’ headspace in his first team squad!? I think it is that sort of halfarsed attitude that has likely turned Cook off him in the first place.

Chill out darling.

I didn't mean he should stay for one season, we would hopefully get promoted and be in the Champ.

Cook is secure enough in himself to take a player back into the first team if they fully committed themselves.

It's not difficult, they are all grown ups.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 16:25]

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:30 - Jun 26 with 1479 viewsWD19

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:24 - Jun 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Chill out darling.

I didn't mean he should stay for one season, we would hopefully get promoted and be in the Champ.

Cook is secure enough in himself to take a player back into the first team if they fully committed themselves.

It's not difficult, they are all grown ups.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2021 16:25]

Says the bloke busily downvoting posts that disagree with him…..

My sense is that not all of the squad Cook inherited were that ‘grown up’. Whether that be because Lambert or the captain sheltered them….or the lack of crowds….of just personality types.

I would love Downes to prove he desperately wants to be here….but I haven’t detected much of that to date.
Obsession to keep Downes on 16:32 - Jun 26 with 1465 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Obsession to keep Downes on 16:30 - Jun 26 by WD19

Says the bloke busily downvoting posts that disagree with him…..

My sense is that not all of the squad Cook inherited were that ‘grown up’. Whether that be because Lambert or the captain sheltered them….or the lack of crowds….of just personality types.

I would love Downes to prove he desperately wants to be here….but I haven’t detected much of that to date.

None of us know his attitude do we.

If he wants to commit, then great. If he doesn't, no worries.

P.S. the downvote was for the "please explain in words of one syllable...." . Little bit obnoxious.

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:19 - Jun 26 with 1329 viewsSteve_M

He spent most of last season injured, with the exception of a daft red card - which he only got because the ref was upset with judge - he stood out when he did play.

And it would be nice to keep him because he’s a decent player who will thrive in a decent team under an engaged manager. He’s unlikely to stay because he’s too good for division three but there’s no need for the continued revisionism claiming all our players are crap.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2021 8:19]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:27 - Jun 26 with 1293 viewsOldboy

He is easily good enough for L1 and will only get better. If he wants out, then let him go, but if I were Cook, I would be having a word or two with him to get his head in the right place and to show what he is really about. I think with a better side around him, he would be a major part of the side.
Obsession to keep Downes on 17:28 - Jun 26 with 1289 viewsjayessess

He's a good player, athletic, good stamina, quick, strong, defensively good, good on the ball, can pass, drive with it. One bad season, under one of the worst managers in our history and with an interruption for a bad injury, doesn't change that for me.

I'm not bothered about the transfer request at all and I don't really get why anyone is. Every single player at the club is here until they get a better offer, that's just football.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:30 - Jun 26 with 1278 viewschrismakin

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:28 - Jun 26 by jayessess

He's a good player, athletic, good stamina, quick, strong, defensively good, good on the ball, can pass, drive with it. One bad season, under one of the worst managers in our history and with an interruption for a bad injury, doesn't change that for me.

I'm not bothered about the transfer request at all and I don't really get why anyone is. Every single player at the club is here until they get a better offer, that's just football.

Jayes, with respect, I agree on some, but good stamina? he's blowing after 20 minutes.

I do love Downes and I would want him to stay if he actually wanted to, but if his fitness levels do leave a lot to be desired.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:52 - Jun 26 with 1220 viewsArnieM

Obsession to keep Downes on 15:15 - Jun 26 by WD19

Sadly, I think you are correct. These players have had it far too easy for so long. Some may not realise the challenge of actually having to fight for a first am place , with better players in the squad, ….not so “ dead cert” on the team sheet anymore is it!

We don’t need players who want the easy life ….those days are gone thankfully, but they underline why this club has fallen so far IMHO. I shall never forget Didsy’s interview at Sheffield Utd, referring to the no pressure or expectations placed on players at Town.

I’m loving the fac5 that Cook is calling them out. It’s been long overdue , and it’s refreshing . I have real hopes for us now, but am also realistic not to expect anything this season, ( Much as I’d like it to happen).

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:58 - Jun 26 with 1207 viewstcfc

Obsession to keep Downes on 17:30 - Jun 26 by chrismakin

Jayes, with respect, I agree on some, but good stamina? he's blowing after 20 minutes.

I do love Downes and I would want him to stay if he actually wanted to, but if his fitness levels do leave a lot to be desired.

Lord help me!
Downe’s is the best player at ITFC. Sure he’s had injuries but some of the absolute cr4p posted on here! If I played in a sh1te team I’d struggle a bit for motivation as would all of us.
I appreciate I’ll get all the professional footballer stuff but come on.

Get a grip. Some of the dross he’s been surrounded with the last few years, I’m surprised he’s not done a Shane Supple.

Deep breathes. We will win the league this year. Lump on. And I hope Flynn is in the middle.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024